PDA

View Full Version : :( Problem with breakage/shedding

MoonMaiden
October 2nd, 2015, 07:24 PM
About a month ago i wrote about possible seasonal shedding, i am still going through a lot of shedding altho sometimes it is less than before. I started looking thro what is falling out and some are full length strands and others i have noticed are rather short which would mean my hair is breaking, ive noticed the last 6 inches about of my length has become thinner, which i feel terrible about because i took a long time getting it to a thickness that i was very pleased with. I have also noticed the ends are becoming split and are dry. The thing of it is , i dont know why, i am doing everything the same, i place some oil on my ends almost everynight. So i dont know what to do.:confused: Any recommendations would be appreciated. I try to take very good care of my hair always but i just dont know what is going on. I have a very stressful life and that is something that i know increases shedding and decline in overall health but it is something i can not get rid of. :( Any products that you know that would help i would be willing to buy. Also it seems that my hair is becoming more tangled easily at the ends i guess because they are dry?? idk everything is a mess now!!

My current products i use are
- coconut oil
- Sunflower mega care shea butter oil
- shea terra moroccan argan oil
- for shampoo right now its mill creek biotene h-24 (but i try to stay away from shampoo only when i do heavy oiling)
-main shampoo is a mix of herbs like amla,neem, brahmi, rose powder,hibiscus among a few other things
- I use a rosemary rinse after shower, i also use it to spray my hair at night
- i use wooden combs usually, and occasionally a boars head brush

i also have creme of nature eden detangling leave in condtioner spray but i have not really used that i am trying to find reviews on it idk if all those ingredients are bad.. Sorry for the long story. any help is greatly appreciated

RavenRose
October 2nd, 2015, 07:40 PM
My hair is still shedding quite a bit, but has slowed down some from what it was a few weeks ago.

I know my hair needs deep treatments more often in the drier fall and winter months. It also tends to react more to build up, so also needs to be clarified a bit more also. It may be that you are doing to much, causing build up. Have you tried to clarify?

MoonMaiden
October 2nd, 2015, 07:46 PM
I dont really use clarifying shampoos because i really dont use too many products that are not natural , also the only clarifying shampoo that i know of in stores like cvs is the one made by suave, and ive sworn off all suave products after they had lied to the people about putting formaldehyde in one of their hair treatments. :/

RavenRose
October 2nd, 2015, 08:48 PM
Natural products can build up also, sometimes more than others, plus if you have hard water there can be mineral buildup also.

if you can't find a real clarifying shampoo, try something that has SLS as the main ingredient and very few others.

a quick search on the CVS website for shampoo gives me ultra swim chlorine removal shampoo, and a VO5 clarifying, plus others. http://www.cvs.com/search/N-0?searchTerm=clarifying+shampoo

MoonMaiden
October 2nd, 2015, 09:16 PM
Ok thank you i will have to try to look for the VO5

Xavien_Grey
October 2nd, 2015, 09:56 PM
Ive had quite a bit of shedding myself these past few weeks, which i mostly attribute to the change in seasons. Every spring and every fall; a natural but always unnerving experience. But not everybody experiences it the same. If your ponytail circ. is roughly the same id say its just seasonal, otherwise id check how your scalp and nutrition are doing or not doing.

For the ends, its a tricky thing. Since their the oldest and most susceptible to external damage; barring mechanical damage from unforeseen items, cough..cough... coat collars (gotta love New England). It could be exposure to the elements. I live in New England and weve had crazy weather. Its 75-80 and sunny one day, rainiy-cold the next, rainy-humid, and now ridiculously cold. fall-winter here kinda takes the life out of loose hair so im carefull to bun when i plan on being outside and try to deep condition once a week.

AutobotsAttack
October 4th, 2015, 12:56 AM
About a month ago i wrote about possible seasonal shedding, i am still going through a lot of shedding altho sometimes it is less than before. I started looking thro what is falling out and some are full length strands and others i have noticed are rather short which would mean my hair is breaking, ive noticed the last 6 inches about of my length has become thinner, which i feel terrible about because i took a long time getting it to a thickness that i was very pleased with. I have also noticed the ends are becoming split and are dry. The thing of it is , i dont know why, i am doing everything the same, i place some oil on my ends almost everynight. So i dont know what to do.:confused: Any recommendations would be appreciated. I try to take very good care of my hair always but i just dont know what is going on. I have a very stressful life and that is something that i know increases shedding and decline in overall health but it is something i can not get rid of. :( Any products that you know that would help i would be willing to buy. Also it seems that my hair is becoming more tangled easily at the ends i guess because they are dry?? idk everything is a mess now!!

- coconut oil
- for shampoo right now its mill creek biotene h-24 (but i try to stay away from shampoo only when i do heavy oiling)
-main shampoo is a mix of herbs like amla,neem, brahmi, rose powder,hibiscus among a few other things

i also have creme of nature eden detangling leave in condtioner spray but i have not really used that i am trying to find reviews on it idk if all those ingredients are bad.. Sorry for the long story. any help is greatly appreciated

You can always try doing an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse, with ice cold water. Helps close your hairs cuticle, and decreases breakage, and tangles.

lapushka
October 4th, 2015, 07:09 AM
- coconut oil

i also have creme of nature eden detangling leave in condtioner spray but i have not really used that i am trying to find reviews on it idk if all those ingredients are bad..

I have breaking ends as well. What has helped me so far is going back to something I was leaving out of late, the ROOM, or rinse-out oil method. The link is in my signature. You basically shampoo, then take a few drops of oil (just about 10 drops of mineral oil in my case) and coat the lengths of your hair, esp. the very tippy tips. Then you rinse that out and apply your conditioner.

It might be the coconut oil, it holds on to protein in the hair, and protein can make hair brittle and dry (so it snaps off more easily). I'd switch to a different oil, if I were you. There are people who don't fare well with coconut. You might be one of them.

MoonMaiden
October 4th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Ive never tried using ACV to rinse my hair with i was always nervous to try XD but thank you for your replies im going to have to try to do something different. The dryness wont go away ill put oils on at night and wake up with them super dry, ive been using coconut oil for a long time for heavy oiling occasionally before bed and wen i wake just for the ends this is the first time my ends have been this way so im all confused. I wonder do you ladies heavy oil during the summer also or just winters?

Eiderduck
October 4th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I'm shedding hair at the moment, I do so every autumn and Spring.
My horses are too, so I am perpetually covered in hair from one source or another.

meteor
October 4th, 2015, 05:29 PM
A few ideas:

1) If it's sudden heavy shedding or unusual breakage without any real external causes (no chemical/mechanical/thermal damage) - I'd see a doctor. Maybe some nutritional deficiency or some other health issue is causing problems. In the meantime, avoid over-washing/over-combing and any excessive manipulation, sleep on silk/satin and keep hair up and protected from the elements.

2) If it's seasonal dryness that's making your hair extremely brittle, I'd start conditioning more intensely, maybe with things like the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)(4 parts conditioner + 1 part honey + 1 part aloe gel) or Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586) (2 parts shea butter + 1 part coconut oil + 2 parts conditioner), maybe adding pre-poo oiling step, LOC, oil rinses or adding oils into conditioner... Oils really help increase hair's elasticity.

3) If it's excessive product build-up: I'd clarify and do a moisturizing treatment (e.g. SMT) followed by some oils or cones to "seal in" the moisture. If it's mineral build-up: chelate. HTH! :)

Rapunzel_96
October 4th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Don't use too much and also it's better to not apply it every night. Sometimes less is more. Using much things for your hair is also not good. A leave in conditioner is also a good option between the wash days whenever you feel you need it. It makes your hair soft, protected and moisturized, the benefits for not rinsing it out is that a leave in stays in your hair and can do the work better than rinsing off products :)