PDA

View Full Version : Help with Over Conditioned Hair

macher
October 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Hi I over conditioned my hair and hoping someone can help me get this fixed. My hair is soft, mushy and lost my wave, looks like someone took a balloon and rubbed it over my hair.

meteor
October 2nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
A couple options (from easiest to fastest):
1) Ignore - put it up and forget it until next wash. The hair will look overly sleek but will come out cleaner/fluffier after next wash.
2) Clarify and condition very lightly (if at all). For your conditioner choose a light one or a protein-heavy one (to balance out with moisture, protein is recommended for hair that feels too mushy, stretchy).

Usually, it's a problem that solves itself. :) But if you are really impatient, just clarify. :) Clarifying should be done on all length, not just scalp area, and the shampoo needs to be massaged into the hair slightly to make it foam up more and work better.
Also, you might want to avoid oils, SMTs, heavy conditioners for a while, until the balance is restored. :)

macher
October 2nd, 2015, 01:31 PM
A couple options (from easiest to fastest):
1) Ignore - put it up and forget it until next wash. The hair will look overly sleek but will come out cleaner/fluffier after next wash.
2) Clarify and condition very lightly (if at all). For your conditioner choose a light one or a protein-heavy one (to balance out with moisture, protein is recommended for hair that feels too mushy, stretchy).

Usually, it's a problem that solves itself. :) But if you are really impatient, just clarify. :) Clarifying should be done on all length, not just scalp area, and the shampoo needs to be massaged into the hair slightly to make it foam up more and work better.
Also, you might want to avoid oils, SMTs, heavy conditioners for a while, until the balance is restored. :)

Thanks! The cause was using Shea Moisture Tahitian NONI Hair and Scalp Weekly treatment followed by Deva Curl One Condition.

I attempted to do what I thought was a protein treatment with the Shea Moisture product. Directions said to follow up with a conditioner. After the fact I discovered that the Shea Moisture product is extremely moisturizing(contains lots of protein and oils) and the Deva Curl One condition is also extranet moisturizing but doesn't contain protein.

At this point I'm getting a little impatient cause it's been a week and it has been getting a little better but still looks like crap.

Can an you recommend a clarifying product? I don't want to mess up again.

meteor
October 2nd, 2015, 01:58 PM
^ Thanks for the details on the products you used, macher. :) Yup, those SheaMoisture treatments can be pretty heavy, maybe keep it for deep treatments, not for regular use?

For clarifying, if you already have some SLS/SLES-based shampoo with a short list of ingredients at home (and without silicones, and, ideally, with minimal botanical extracts, oils, polyquats and other conditioning ingredients), then it should work well. :)
If not, I'd get any "purifying", "deep cleansing", "weekly clarifying" shampoo. Also shampoos with "volumizing" formulas or shampoos marketed "for fine hair" are often clarifying.
A couple clarifying shampoo examples I liked: "Joico K-Pak Clarifying" and "Pantene Damage Detox" - they are both clarifying (removing product build-up) and chelating (removing mineral build-up).

macher
October 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
^ Thanks for the details on the products you used, macher. :) Yup, those SheaMoisture treatments can be pretty heavy, maybe keep it for deep treatments, not for regular use?

For clarifying, if you already have some SLS/SLES-based shampoo with a short list of ingredients at home (and without silicones, and, ideally, with minimal botanical extracts, oils, polyquats and other conditioning ingredients), then it should work well. :)
If not, I'd get any "purifying", "deep cleansing", "weekly clarifying" shampoo. Also shampoos with "volumizing" formulas or shampoos marketed "for fine hair" are often clarifying.
A couple clarifying shampoo examples I liked: "Joico K-Pak Clarifying" and "Pantene Damage Detox" - they are both clarifying (removing product build-up) and chelating (removing mineral build-up).

I have Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo. Says it's sulfate free. I've used the Aveeno a couple of times this week. But I think you suggested a conditioner with protein. The Deva Curl One I'm told doesn't have protein.

gthlvrmx
October 2nd, 2015, 02:51 PM
I have Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo. Says it's sulfate free. I've used the Aveeno a couple of times this week. But I think you suggested a conditioner with protein. The Deva Curl One I'm told doesn't have protein.

You could try the Suave Clarifying shampoo. The Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner has protein in it and so does the Mane N Tail Original Conditioner but the proteins are not super high on the list I think.

meteor
October 2nd, 2015, 03:27 PM

If you used it a few times and it doesn't work, it might be too mild for this job, possibly because it's sulfate-free. Something more clarifying like Neutrogena Anti-Residue or Joico K-Pak Clarifying, etc... should work nicely. But, honestly, sometimes you need to clarify more than once, if the build-up/coating is too heavy. The important step is to really massage it into hair gently. :)
Hydrolyzed protein helps give more strength/structure to really gummy, mushy, stretchy or over-moisturized hair. I'd either use a very light conditioner or maybe even skip the conditioning step altogether for the time being.

spidermom
October 2nd, 2015, 05:44 PM
VO5 makes a couple of good, cheap clarifying formulas, and so does Suave. Just look for the word "clarifying" on the label. As mentioned above, you might have to do it more than once. I wouldn't condition after clarifying the first time, unless it clearly needs conditioning (tangly or something).

macher
October 2nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
VO5 makes a couple of good, cheap clarifying formulas, and so does Suave. Just look for the word "clarifying" on the label. As mentioned above, you might have to do it more than once. I wouldn't condition after clarifying the first time, unless it clearly needs conditioning (tangly or something).

Thank you! Heading out first thing in the morning and will pick up a brand that will have clarifying on the label. Also I probably should pick up a conditioner. I won't use the conditioner unless I need it.

How often should I clarify? And when should I start using conditioner? Also let's say I clarify tomorrow am I able to use my silicone free styling products?

Couple people suggested a conditioner with hydrolyzed protein. Currently the conditioner I have is protein free. What am I looking for to get a hydrolyzed protein conditioner?

Robot Ninja
October 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
If your hair is mushy, protein should help. I use gelatin because I'm cheap. Here (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/p/recipes-and-projects.html) is a recipe. I find the shower method has the best effectiveness-to-effort ratio.

macher
October 3rd, 2015, 08:10 AM
If your hair is mushy, protein should help. I use gelatin because I'm cheap. Here (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/p/recipes-and-projects.html) is a recipe. I find the shower method has the best effectiveness-to-effort ratio.

Thanks I'm very apprehensive about trying any kind of bonafied full blown protein treatment.

I'm hoping that clarifying followed by a conditioner if needed that is not so moisturizing yet has a decent amount of protein will help.

macher
October 3rd, 2015, 10:07 AM
If you used it a few times and it doesn't work, it might be too mild for this job, possibly because it's sulfate-free. Something more clarifying like Neutrogena Anti-Residue or Joico K-Pak Clarifying, etc... should work nicely. But, honestly, sometimes you need to clarify more than once, if the build-up/coating is too heavy. The important step is to really massage it into hair gently. :)
Hydrolyzed protein helps give more strength/structure to really gummy, mushy, stretchy or over-moisturized hair. I'd either use a very light conditioner or maybe even skip the conditioning step altogether for the time being.

Thanks, went to Sally's Supply this morning and picked up a clarifying shampoo. Will do it tomorrow morning. Wet my hair this morning when I was taking a shower. I guess my hair being over moisturized it still felt conditioned. I was able to detangle with my fingers.

macher
October 4th, 2015, 03:25 AM

Hi clarified my hair this morning. It's still somewhat damp but it still feels and looks like over conditioned.

lapushka
October 4th, 2015, 05:04 AM
I still don't know what you mean with "overconditioned". Do you use products with silicones (it might be the coating you can't stand). Maybe just shampoo then and leave your conditioner out.

macher
October 4th, 2015, 05:32 AM
I still don't know what you mean with "overconditioned". Do you use products with silicones (it might be the coating you can't stand). Maybe just shampoo then and leave your conditioner out.

Hi I don't use products with sulfate or silicones. I posted previously that I used the Shea Moisture products and is VERY moisturizing although high in protein and oils followed by Deva One conditioner that is VERY moisturizing with no protein.

meteor
October 4th, 2015, 05:49 PM
^ Hmm, sounds like those conditioners may be just too heavy for you for regular use, especially if you don't use sulfates to wash them out. I'd go for more cleansing shampoos and lighter conditioners in the future. :)

I've looked at the ingredients of these products, and the SheaMoisture Weekly Treatment is for very damaged hair (with a ton of proteins, lots of oils and quite a bit of wax that can build up fast) - I would use it pretty rarely, only if needed, and it might be overwhelming for virgin hair.
DevaCurl One Condition Ultra Creamy Conditioner seems like it might be lighter, but has lots of botanical extracts that could build up, too. They both look like excellent products, but I would just try to be careful not to overuse them. :)

SheaMoisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi Smooth & Repair Hair & Scalp Weekly Treatment Ingredients (http://www.sheamoisture.com/Tahitian-Noni-Monoi-Smooth-Repair-Hair-Scalp-Weekly-Therapy_p_702.html):
Water (Aqua), Hydrolized Keratin, Brassicyl, Isoleucinate Esylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Brassica Alcohol, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Peptide, Beeswax, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Trametes Versicolor Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Dimethiconol Cystheine, Fragrance (Parfum), Inulin, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chenninsis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Biotin, Trifolium, Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Caffeine, Morinda Citirifolia (Noni) Extract, Oat Beta Glucan, Panthenol, Capryl Glycol, Arginine, Alcohol, Lecithin, Tocopheyl Acetate, Sodium Phytate, Butylene Glycol, Caprlhydroxamic Acid, Dextran

DevaCurl One Condition Ingredients (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3960031):
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbogogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

macher
October 5th, 2015, 12:57 AM
^ Hmm, sounds like those conditioners may be just too heavy for you for regular use, especially if you don't use sulfates to wash them out. I'd go for more cleansing shampoos and lighter conditioners in the future. :)

I've looked at the ingredients of these products, and the SheaMoisture Weekly Treatment is for very damaged hair (with a ton of proteins, lots of oils and quite a bit of wax that can build up fast) - I would use it pretty rarely, only if needed, and it might be overwhelming for virgin hair.
DevaCurl One Condition Ultra Creamy Conditioner seems like it might be lighter, but has lots of botanical extracts that could build up, too. They both look like excellent products, but I would just try to be careful not to overuse them. :)

SheaMoisture Tahitian Noni & Monoi Smooth & Repair Hair & Scalp Weekly Treatment Ingredients (http://www.sheamoisture.com/Tahitian-Noni-Monoi-Smooth-Repair-Hair-Scalp-Weekly-Therapy_p_702.html):
Water (Aqua), Hydrolized Keratin, Brassicyl, Isoleucinate Esylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Brassica Alcohol, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Peptide, Beeswax, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Trametes Versicolor Extract, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Dimethiconol Cystheine, Fragrance (Parfum), Inulin, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chenninsis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Biotin, Trifolium, Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Caffeine, Morinda Citirifolia (Noni) Extract, Oat Beta Glucan, Panthenol, Capryl Glycol, Arginine, Alcohol, Lecithin, Tocopheyl Acetate, Sodium Phytate, Butylene Glycol, Caprlhydroxamic Acid, Dextran

DevaCurl One Condition Ingredients (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3960031):
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbogogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

The reason I used the Shea product was because I thought it was a protein treatment which is it in a way but didn't know it was extremely moisturizing. Then the directions say to follow up with a conditioner which I did.

lapushka
October 5th, 2015, 05:27 AM
How's your hair now?

Try clarifying then using a light (or a little bit) of conditioner. See what happens.