PDA

View Full Version : Can my mom learn how to do a deva cut?

CostaRita
October 1st, 2015, 10:37 PM
Hi all. My mom's a licensed cosmetologist, but she graduated from beauty school almost 40 years ago and doesn't know how to cut (my) curly hair. She cuts it wet and uses a comb and scissors. Are there any resources that I can introduce to her? The closest deva stylist is 100 miles away...and my mom gives me free haircuts ;)

mz_butterfly
October 1st, 2015, 10:49 PM
It seems odd that your mother has been a licensed stylist for 40 years but doesn't know how to cut curly hair, and her own daughters hair at that.

What do you mean by "she doesn't know how to cut it"? Does she do it wrong? Does it not look right?

Most stylists cut hair while it's wet using a comb and scissors. There really aren't many other ways to cut hair except dry with scissors or with hair clippers.

If your mom doesn't do a very good job, you could always try your hand at it yourself, looking in the mirror and just snipping small bits that stick out (isn't that basically what a Deva cut is? snipping the longer random bits?) Or, go to a salon in your area and see how they react to your hair. You can always leave if you get a bad vibe or don't trust them or you could try them out and see how it goes.

ETA: I looked up Deva cut and it's basically what I said. Cutting each curl while it's dry. I also looked it up on youtube and found a video on a do it yourself Deva cut.

She also gives names of youtubers who have Deva cut videos.

~https://youtu.be/Iwf0NejSuP

CostaRita
October 1st, 2015, 10:55 PM
She's worked in assisted living and retirement homes for the past 20 years, so she gives a lot of perms. She hasn't cut hair like mine in a long time. Well, she cuts my sister and I's hair. She and I both have long, curly hair.

mz_butterfly
October 1st, 2015, 10:57 PM
She's worked in assisted living and retirement homes for the past 20 years, so she gives a lot of perms. She hasn't cut long hair like mine in a long time.

ok, she's used to making the hair curly! ;)

I linked a youtuber who does the deva cut on herself, plus she has a link for a channel who shows how to do the Deva cut. (in my prior post)

Here is another DIY Deva cut video from another channel.

https://youtu.be/VH4bFTxwbhU

lapushka
October 2nd, 2015, 03:39 AM
Mo knows hair cuts hair wet as well. There is nothing wrong with cutting it wet.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MoKnowsHair

wilderwein
October 2nd, 2015, 04:54 AM
I misread "diva cup" :lol: I was wondering how it's even possible to make a diva cup by yourself till I read the thread

CostaRita
October 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
On a BSL-length head, where should the shortest curl layers fall?

Stephanie
October 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM
I misread "diva cup" :lol: I was wondering how it's even possible to make a diva cup by yourself till I read the thread

You, too?! :lol:

wilderwein
October 2nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
You, too?! :lol:

THANKS GOD I'M NOT ALONE, and there is nothing wrong with me! :hifive:

Chromis
October 2nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
THANKS GOD I'M NOT ALONE, and there is nothing wrong with me! :hifive:

There were at least three of us! :whistle:

wilderwein
October 2nd, 2015, 11:59 AM
There were at least three of us! :whistle: