PDA

View Full Version : Look what came out of my head!

M.McDonough
October 1st, 2015, 07:49 PM
So I was playing with my hair, tossing it, flipping it, twirling it as I usually do, and all of a sudden this comes out! shocking!
Is that going to escalate? I'm in my 20s BTW, so this is kinda disturbing..:bigeyes:
I think I'll never touch my hair again.

http://i.imgur.com/BqDJzxZ.jpg

gthlvrmx
October 1st, 2015, 07:53 PM
That looks beautiful! I love white hairs! :) Lucky you.

M.McDonough
October 1st, 2015, 07:55 PM
That looks beautiful! I love white hairs! :) Lucky you.

Are you kidding me?

gthlvrmx
October 1st, 2015, 07:58 PM
Are you kidding me?

Nope! I love white hairs, I wish I had them, especially so that henna would change it to orange/red. Your random white hair looks beautiful. It's probably just a random hair though if you haven't seen many other white hairs on yourself.

Lorzi
October 1st, 2015, 08:20 PM
Nope! I love white hairs, I wish I had them, especially so that henna would change it to orange/red. Your random white hair looks beautiful. It's probably just a random hair though if you haven't seen many other white hairs on yourself.

Agreed! :D I'm in my late teens and I have one silver on my hair and I think it's very pretty! Adds some more character into the hair :)

Clarkie
October 1st, 2015, 08:23 PM
Could be just a random thing.....or you may be starting to go gray. I started graying when I was 24. I just turned 50 and would be pretty much salt and pepper if I didn't colour.
While I appreciate the many lovely heads of silver/gray hair on these boards, I'm just not ready to take the plunge yet.

Kaelbu
October 1st, 2015, 08:28 PM
I'm 22 and have several strands of white hair that grow next to each other. I really like it! I don't really understand the
(Edit: posted too soon!)
fear of going grey, myself. My strands grow in a spot that my part hides, but I wish they'd didn't! They're one reason why I stopped dying my hair; I want to see what they'll do! :D

M.McDonough
October 1st, 2015, 08:34 PM
Could be just a random thing.....or you may be starting to go gray. I started graying when I was 24. I just turned 50 and would be pretty much salt and pepper if I didn't colour.
While I appreciate the many lovely heads of silver/gray hair on these boards, I'm just not ready to take the plunge yet.

No, I just remembered..I've had two or three white hairs since I was 17, probably even younger I don't know. But this is a blue moon (rare) I mean If you have black hair, you never find any white hairs in your daily shedding. Could it be a trauma, a terrifying event or something? I might have experienced something horrible in the past and that's what gave me those white hairs. It sounds ridiculous, but it's possible :hmm:

M.McDonough
October 1st, 2015, 08:41 PM
Agreed! :D I'm in my late teens and I have one silver on my hair and I think it's very pretty! Adds some more character into the hair :)

My 13-year-old sister has one too

jupiterinleo
October 1st, 2015, 08:42 PM
I have a couple gray hairs. I wish I had more! I love gray/white hair. My half-brother is in his early 30's and is almost entirely gray--I'm pretty jealous, lol. I don't have those genes, he gets those from his mother.

MsPharaohMoan
October 1st, 2015, 09:55 PM
Going gray fairly early as well... I practice mindfulness on the bus by watching silver strands. It's interesting to observe them on myself and others... Each head grows them in a unique pattern. Whenever I exclaim with joy I've got silver hairs growing people react with horror and consolation :rolleyes:

Seeshami
October 1st, 2015, 10:01 PM
Normally that's what I say about my art.....
Anyways
there is nothing wrong with wisdom platinum blond

M.McDonough
October 1st, 2015, 10:05 PM
Normally that's what I say about my art.....
Anyways
there is nothing wrong with wisdom platinum blond

I'm sorry, but I never understand your comments :/

Sarahlabyrinth
October 1st, 2015, 10:09 PM
I started getting them at 21 and my father got his when he was 16.

I don't think it's all that unusual to begin getting them at an early age.

Alien Girl
October 1st, 2015, 10:11 PM
My sis who is only a year older than me (21) gets white hairs. But then again she's a physics major pursuing at least a masters so I think it's stress.
I only get 1 white hair a year :P It can be random or due to stress, it's nothing to be startled about.

Seeshami
October 1st, 2015, 10:12 PM
I'm sorry, but I never understand your comments :/

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

M.McDonough
October 1st, 2015, 10:20 PM
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

I just think there's too much philosophy in them :D. Are you interested in philosophy or something?

Seeshami
October 1st, 2015, 10:22 PM
I just think there's too much philosophy in them :D. Are you interested in philosophy or something?

if snark and random tangents is philosophy

Platzhalter
October 1st, 2015, 10:32 PM
Don't understand why a lot of people seem to hate their greys... even those who are 'old'. Sure, there more visible on dark hair, but I wouldn't consider them ugly and most people won't notice until there's a big streak.
For me, having a few grey hairs actually contributed to not dyeing any more ;)

Crystawni
October 1st, 2015, 10:58 PM
I guess to each their own. To me, white/silver hair is just another colour (or lack of). Most of us get white hairs at some stage, regardless of age. If you can embrace it, you may be on your way to looking ageless. :p

Red.
October 2nd, 2015, 01:56 AM
Well, I've had grey hairs since childhood. Really, my mom took me to the doctor to see what was wrong with me. :p So it doesn't necessarily mean you're going grey.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2015, 03:24 AM
I had one or two in my twenties as well. I still had 99.9% color on my head, and so do you, so let's not panic.

I'm 43 now and I have white sprinkled very lightly throughout. I've still got 98% color on my head. That's how long it takes.

furnival
October 2nd, 2015, 03:42 AM
I always wanted to go prematurely grey, but it's a bit late now...:p

OP, I really don't think you ought to freak out over this. :flower:

M.McDonough
October 2nd, 2015, 03:56 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised that some of you guys actually like grey hair. Going grey is always associated with aging. And when people point it out to you, it kinda sounds negative like you're getting old or something..

Neelie
October 2nd, 2015, 03:59 AM
im 27 and greying like mad :) my mum was fully silver when she hit 30. she dyed for about 20 years! i find white/silver hair fall out easier than the normal "colour" hair. but not a reason to be worried at all. i think its cool :) reminds me of Anna from disney's frozen lol i just say i got kissed by a troll lol

DreamSheep
October 2nd, 2015, 04:18 AM
Bah! :p
I've got a bunch of those hiding about. Well, one doesn't even try to hide, it's right at the front and curls up saying hello to everyone who cares to look closely.

I also quite like them, I think white hairs look quite nice too. I was shocked to find the first, but quickly learnt to love it and don't mind finding more :)

(ETA: I'm 22)

Crystawni
October 2nd, 2015, 04:29 AM
Ha, it was around your birth, DweamSheep, that I found my first white! Yanno, I wouldn't have the wicked, non-dyed swirls I get in my buns and updos without mah whites. And people still think I'm in my 20s, so pretty sure it doesn't have to be an aging thing.

M.McDonough
October 2nd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Ha, it was around your birth, DweamSheep, that I found my first white! Yanno, I wouldn't have the wicked, non-dyed swirls I get in my buns and updos without mah whites. And people still think I'm in my 20s, so pretty sure it doesn't have to be an aging thing.

wow :D But they surely stick out on a head of black hair

Crystawni
October 2nd, 2015, 05:22 AM
Oh, they sure do (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=morticia+addams&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIssy2udWjyAIV4qqmCh1AIgYW&biw=1400&bih=802#tbm=isch&q=lily+munster)! :wink:

browneyedsusan
October 2nd, 2015, 05:24 AM
I've got tons of them!
(They don't hurt one bit!)

Jeno86
October 2nd, 2015, 05:31 AM
How wonderful! I'm biased :). I honestly can't wait to have white hair. Any time I find a shiny, I bounce around "I have a white hair!" But as others have said, one or two white hairs isn't anything to worry about. It can take a lifetime to go fully white.

goneJackal
October 2nd, 2015, 06:05 AM
I started early, too. Got that from my mother and from having stressful mind.

On early 20's, had just a few. Then, mid 20's, just enough for people to be aware of them.
Now, on late 20's, had just too many white hairs. Tried to accept, but people wouldn't stop staring at them, and I did not feel good about it.

I know some people sincerely like them, and some people do think they're attractive on men.
But I did not feel that way, not at all. So, I took care of them! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12439)

Can't dye my face, but at least I'm finally happy with my hair! :p

Hairkay
October 2nd, 2015, 06:44 AM
No, I just remembered..I've had two or three white hairs since I was 17, probably even younger I don't know. But this is a blue moon (rare) I mean If you have black hair, you never find any white hairs in your daily shedding. Could it be a trauma, a terrifying event or something? I might have experienced something horrible in the past and that's what gave me those white hairs. It sounds ridiculous, but it's possible :hmm:

So does a friend of mine. I'm showing her that I found the odd grey hair and she's not impressed since hers started at 17. I've seen a family of boys aged 8-12 with a lot of grey hair. I'm planning to try hendigo until I get a decent amount of greys then let it be.

browneyedsusan
October 2nd, 2015, 07:03 AM
I started early, too. Got that from my mother and from having stressful mind.

On early 20's, had just a few. Then, mid 20's, just enough for people to be aware of them.
Now, on late 20's, had just too many white hairs. Tried to accept, but people wouldn't stop staring at them, and I did not feel good about it.

I know some people sincerely like them, and some people do think they're attractive on men.
But I did not feel that way, not at all. So, I took care of them! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12439)

Can't dye my face, but at least I'm finally happy with my hair! :p

FWIW: I took care of mine, too. :)

YvetteVarie
October 2nd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Random fact: people in my culture believe white hair = wealth

FWIW I'm not greying yet (and might not until my 50s judging by genetics) but I think silvers are pretty. I love my mum's dreadlocks that have a sprinkling of silver. I think they make her look younger (weird, I know)

Kaelbu
October 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
If I grey as a youngish adult, maybe I'll appear to age more gracefully! I'll have been slowly adding more white hairs for decades. Sounds good to me!

Christine_O
October 2nd, 2015, 07:03 PM
I keep wishing my hair would grey, but it probably won't until I'm somewhere in my 70's. I guess we should just love the hair we have. Sorry it gave you a start, but it's still probably nothing.:grouphug:

Stormynights
October 2nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
The thread title just creeped me out. I was afraid to open it and see what came out of someone's head. I am so relieved that it was just a hair.

CheshireGrin
October 2nd, 2015, 07:32 PM
The thread title just creeped me out. I was afraid to open it and see what came out of someone's head. I am so relieved that it was just a hair.

Same. :lol: I was seriously expecting some creepy crawlies.

hennalonghair
October 2nd, 2015, 08:08 PM

Same. :lol: I was seriously expecting some creepy crawlies.

Me three:rollin: and it's a hair.

JadedByEntropy
October 2nd, 2015, 08:16 PM
if snark and random tangents is philosophy

lolz Thats hilarious. I got it just fine. I guess i speak snark....or philosophy. xD

AutobotsAttack
October 2nd, 2015, 09:36 PM
i think your white hairs are perfectly normal honestly. Im not sure what causes them exactly, I probably would if I did my research but Im too lazy to right now, but I don't think you need to be worried.

M.McDonough
October 3rd, 2015, 02:15 AM

HAHA I wanted to make it attractive, you know..that's it

Zindell
October 3rd, 2015, 03:44 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised that some of you guys actually like grey hair. Going grey is always associated with aging. And when people point it out to you, it kinda sounds negative like you're getting old or something..

It used to be that way. Well not in ancient times, but somewhere around 1980 and forward. Suddenly silver hair was a bad thing, and long hair on women over 40 even worse.

Something seems to be shifting lately though. Suddenly long hair on older women are okay, and silver hairs embraced.

When I get my silvers I'll refuse to dye them. I'll love them and care for them. :o

M.McDonough
October 3rd, 2015, 04:34 AM
Screw it...I'd rather have silver/grey/white hair than no hair :P

goneJackal
October 3rd, 2015, 04:50 AM
Screw it...I'd rather have silver/grey/white hair than no hair :P

I remember once I said exactly that, and a friend immediately said "As my father is bald, I'll surely go bald sooner than later, but it's much better than having white hair".
Of course I didn't mean to offend him (he's not even starting to go bald), but that's what people do - get offended. :p

furnival
October 3rd, 2015, 05:13 AM
Really? Getting old is a negative thing? Have you considered the alternative? :p

I think it's depressing that so many young people seem to dutifully buy into the prescribed view that getting older is some kind of hideous affliction. If you're so bothered about it now, how awful are you going to feel when you get to my age?! It's really not a good way to look at life. In the immortal words of one LHCer years ago, you're not here to decorate anybody's world.

I've lost enough people along the way to see ageing as the achievement it is, not some debilitating affliction that robs me of what the beauty industry considers my only worth. :)

M.McDonough
October 3rd, 2015, 05:32 AM
I remember once I said exactly that, and a friend immediately said "As my father is bald, I'll surely go bald sooner than later, but it's much better than having white hair".
Of course I didn't mean to offend him, but that's what people do - get offended. :p

No, just because his father is bald doesn't mean he will go bald.

goneJackal
October 3rd, 2015, 06:10 AM
No, just because his father is bald doesn't mean he will go bald.

I know. And he knows that, too, he just feels insecure about the future.
I didn't know he felt that way, he's not even starting to go bald.
If that was the case, I wouldn't make that comment, of course.

But that's not the point, you see.
The point is: you're right, white is better than none, even if you don't like them white. :p

Theobroma
October 3rd, 2015, 06:19 AM

What Furnival said. I actually like getting older. I have so much more experience and insight and confidence now than I did in my twenties and early thirties; I wouldn't go back in time for any money. A youthful appearance is very far from being the most worthwile thing in the world to aspire to!

Also, hair isn't what ages you visually. I'm 49 and I routinely get pegged as at least 15 years younger despite having an increasingly salt-and-pepper canopy (BTW, I love my silvers and I wouldn't dye them for any money) and wearing my hair bunned all the time. I have had precisely ONE stupid comment about my silvers being a sign of ageing, and that came from someone who's frankly a zero upstairs -- so much so that if I took them seriously I'd be just as dumb as they. ;)

Random fact: people in my culture believe white hair = wealth

Yay Zimbabwean culture! :) And in various parts of Asia, white hair = wisdom and experience. My dad is a retired consultant and the company he worked for liked sending him to places like Singapore and Malaysia when he was in his mid-to-late sixties because his grey hair went down so well with the clients there.

ravenheather
October 3rd, 2015, 06:24 AM
Really? Getting old is a negative thing? Have you considered the alternative? :p

I think it's depressing that so many young people seem to dutifully buy into the prescribed view that getting older is some kind of hideous affliction. If you're so bothered about it now, how awful are you going to feel when you get to my age?! It's really not a good way to look at life. In the immortal words of one LHCer years ago, you're not here to decorate anybody's world.

I've lost enough people along the way to see ageing as the achievement it is, not some debilitating affliction that robs me of what the beauty industry considers my only worth. :)

Well said. I love the few silver sparkles that I have. If you are going to be upset by every sign of aging, you will spend a lot of your life unhappy. I think if you maintain good health the rest isn't really so important.

*ReiKa*
October 3rd, 2015, 06:53 AM
Honestly, I'm 25 and I do have a couple of white hairs... I started finding some at least two years ago (so I was 23).
I'm not bothered by them. What's the hassle? In case you don't wanna keep them, they invented hair dye, so in a matter of 30 minutes they disappear and you'll be fine.

DreamSheep
October 3rd, 2015, 07:17 AM
((I also want to point out that apparently grey hair is the latest and biggest hair colouring trend amongst young people :p And the perfect platinum blonde & white hair has generally been in in the beauty industry too - so hey, that salt & pepper is definitely in apparently!))

M.McDonough
October 6th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Honestly, I'm 25 and I do have a couple of white hairs... I started finding some at least two years ago (so I was 23).
I'm not bothered by them. What's the hassle? In case you don't wanna keep them, they invented hair dye, so in a matter of 30 minutes they disappear and you'll be fine.

I know, but for those who want their hair to grow naturally, dying seems like a bad idea. And on top of that, they will grow longer and they will look gray near the roots, haha..

M.McDonough
October 6th, 2015, 01:57 AM

I guess you're right. But time changes every human.. so my ideas today will not be the same in the future..

HintOfMint
October 7th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Eh, it's not the most enlightened thing to freak out about greys, but I understand being upset. Between mainstream beauty being defined by youth, as well as the prevalence of hairdye to the point of never seeing grey hair on women unless it's on the very elderly, I don't blame you for feeling that kick in the gut, followed by panic.

That was my reaction when I discovered and felt my first wrinkle (more like a crease actually) a month ago. I ran for the retinol. I'm 28 and single, all my friends are getting married, so yeah, it was a bit of a "welp, I'm going to die wrinkled and alone" moment. Then I drank some water, the crease smoothed out a bit, and I realized that I'm still pretty and people like me. So it was maybe a day of existential panic followed by a streak of cockiness. I hope you find that sooner rather than later.

All I can offer is a small bit of reassurance. I have one super long white hair, and I haven't seen any more (knock on wood) sprout up, so it could just be a one-off. I've also periodically had one or two white hairs since high school. Never multiplied. Most women beyond that first flush of youth have some sign of aging and rarely is it enough to truly detract from one's looks. Imagine your best friend or even a random passerby with a couple of grey hairs, I'm sure you wouldn't think it's such a big deal or a major detractor.

If you are greying, I guess consider your options, allow yourself to mourn without shame, and then make your decision. Aside from the pro-natural stance of this board, LHC has a lot of advice on dyeing one's hair with minimal damage, so long healthy hair may still be in your future. You may find that after some getting used to it, you may not want to dye after all.

Dommydomdom
November 3rd, 2015, 10:24 AM
I just had to click this thread since I was laughing out loud when just reading the title! Love the pic of the "crime scene" too :misaim:

And then here's my 2 cents...I recently found a little cluster of these shiny, white, coarse, kinky buggers on my head and when I told my sister (who is 9 years older than me but has fewer grey) she said that it's probably because I used to dye my hair more often than she ever did. Her theory is basically that hair dye companies don't want you to stop dying your hair and using their products, so they put some kind of chemical in which encourages grey hair growth!

Any thoughts?

lapushka
November 3rd, 2015, 10:41 AM
Her theory is basically that hair dye companies don't want you to stop dying your hair and using their products, so they put some kind of chemical in which encourages grey hair growth!

Any thoughts?

I'm sorry but... yeah, right. It's all a big conspiracy. ;)

Amenahh
November 3rd, 2015, 11:51 AM
I have one white hair on the top of my head, and i love it!
And now it's kind of light orange because of henna, and my hair is very dark, so it looks nice.
I always find myself parting my hair in the mirror, so i can have a look at it.

And I think today's culture sucks. Honestly, when i see old people on the street, i admire them for their life experience. And i almost envy them (not in a bad way!) because not everyone gets to live a long life.

eshta
November 3rd, 2015, 01:45 PM

Well said furnival! I found my first one at 25 just a week after my son was born, I blamed him :p. When he first noticed (just recently I might add) my whites/silvers he got very upset and he said "mom your getting old" like it's the worst thing in the world that could happen. My reaction "Do you think so? I really hope I do".

Don't panic, for most people going grey is a very slow process. It's not like they multiply right away.

littlestarface
November 3rd, 2015, 02:53 PM
I thought you saw some lice fall from our head or something lol its just a white hair loooool thats nothing. I got my first white hair when i was like 10 and now i got them all over the under side of my hair and trust me I never stress and yet i still got tons of them. Henna always makes them look beautiful all shiny deep red against my black hair looks lovely.

Groovy Granny
November 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
I thought you saw some lice fall from our head or something lol its just a white hair loooool thats nothing. ROFLOL I thought the same thing:laugh:

littlestarface
November 3rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
ROFLOL I thought the same thing:laugh:

Lmao I was getting ready for a pic of some nasty bugs :laugh:

M.McDonough
November 4th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I just had to click this thread since I was laughing out loud when just reading the title! Love the pic of the "crime scene" too :misaim:

And then here's my 2 cents...I recently found a little cluster of these shiny, white, coarse, kinky buggers on my head and when I told my sister (who is 9 years older than me but has fewer grey) she said that it's probably because I used to dye my hair more often than she ever did. Her theory is basically that hair dye companies don't want you to stop dying your hair and using their products, so they put some kind of chemical in which encourages grey hair growth!

Any thoughts?

I thought you saw some lice fall from our head or something lol its just a white hair loooool thats nothing. I got my first white hair when i was like 10 and now i got them all over the under side of my hair and trust me I never stress and yet i still got tons of them. Henna always makes them look beautiful all shiny deep red against my black hair looks lovely.

ROFLOL I thought the same thing:laugh:

GUYS!!!! I was just trying to attract your attention ..I know it sounds a bit funny. That is what journalists do daily on newspapers

Groovy Granny
November 4th, 2015, 02:49 PM
GUYS!!!! I was just trying to attract your attention ..I know it sounds a bit funny. That is what journalists do daily on newspapers

Good job! :thumbsup: lol

The thing is.....there are some people that panic over ONE WHITE HAIR :doh:....and so you got your desired reaction ;)

And you never know what someone may pull out of their hair :p ewwww lol

HairPlease
November 4th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Lmao I was getting ready for a pic of some nasty bugs :laugh:

I was getting ready for some big chunky skin flake with bloody fleshy goo and all that. Ha!

Anyways... white/silver is the best hair color ever. Shhh. :cool:

mamaherrera
December 7th, 2015, 01:56 AM
I'm 35 and I've had white hairs since I was 28. I was so naive, as I never imagined that people my age got white hairs, so it was traumatizing for me. Especially since I never saw my sister with white hair when she was my age (she never dyed it) so I wasn't prepared. Mine started slow, but after I had my baby two years ago, it's picked up the pace, like, 10X the speed, so I will have more than just a measly 1/2% of white hair when Im' 40. I'm still struggling to accept, especially when at first, people said it will go slow, and to my surprise. . . no. . .

EbonyCurls
December 7th, 2015, 04:45 AM
I was so excited when I got my first silver hairs in college. Now I'm 31 and I have about 20 throughout my hair. They're pretty, they're sparkly, and it proves my hair's virtue (virgin :) )

TR
December 7th, 2015, 05:10 AM
My son, who is 16, has three small but distinct patches of white in his otherwise dark brown hair. They showed up around age 13. He doesn't mind them, although he's frequently asked if he has paint in his hair. His grandmother (my MIL) had significant gray starting in high school, and my husband and his siblings also went gray at early ages. No evil plot by the makers of hair color, no traumatic events, just genes.

hufflepug
December 7th, 2015, 10:20 AM
I was also expecting a bug or other such nastiness :P
I started getting grays in my early 20s. I'm 36 now and have more than I did then, but not by much. I color my hair but not really to hide the grays necessarily.

littlestarface
December 7th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I was getting ready for some big chunky skin flake with bloody fleshy goo and all that. Ha!

Anyways... white/silver is the best hair color ever. Shhh. :cool:

Haha glad it wasnt this ^ :puke:

x0h_bother
December 8th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Yep welcome to the club. :D it only gets worse from here!

http://i.imgur.com/BqDJzxZ.jpg[/QUOTE]