PDA

View Full Version : Hurtful hair comment

Becs
October 1st, 2015, 04:03 PM
So, today in class a girl said to me that wearing my hair in braids like I do makes it look "really thin." Not just thin, really thin. I've never had anyone else say that to me. In fact, it's normally the opposite with people telling me I must have a lot of hair. It just really hurt my feelings, because I really love my hair and I'm really proud of it. It's my favorite thing about myself. And in my opinion my hair isn't thin. I've never actually measured my circumference, but when I put it in a ponytail I usually just wrap the elastic around twice. I'm sure the girl wasn't trying to be mean and maybe I shouldn't have let her comment bother me so much, but it made me feel really sad and bad about myself. Yet I find it weird that this girl told me my hair looked really thin because for one, last week she told me she thought my hair was really pretty, and for another I know for a fact she wears hair extensions because I have seen them. But her comment still really got to me. I just wanted to say this stuff here because I feel like if in real life I told someone I was upset someone else said my hair looked thin they wouldn't understand why it upset me, but I feel like you guys will understand. This isn't a picture of my hair today, but this is how I always wear my hair. Does it look ok to you guys??
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n162/cellogirl71/8b5e9bb2-00fb-4564-aa52-21dc4a5368d5_zpsnkjywio9.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
October 1st, 2015, 04:08 PM
Wow, if I were you with hair as gorgeous as that I would be REALLY proud of it! If this girl regularly wears extensions, she may feel that hair without extensions looks thin, whereas in fact it just looks like hair is supposed to look!

I wouldn't take any notice of that remark... though it seems to be a fact of being a longhair that sometimes we are going to get hurtful remarks simply because we don't fit in with the crowd, you know?

We get to have long hair - and a thick hide, so those remarks just bounce right off....

Platzhalter
October 1st, 2015, 04:09 PM
Your hair looks anything but extremely thin to me - sure, the ribbons make your braids a little wider... but not that much, you know? So to me, it mainly looks like great hair with a nice hint of colour ;)
Forget about the comments... they're nonsense.

neko_kawaii
October 1st, 2015, 04:17 PM
Wow! Fantastic braiding! Ignore her.

turtlelover
October 1st, 2015, 04:22 PM
I love your hair and don't think it looks thin in the least. However, I've seen some hair on the thinner side that looks amazing, and some thicker hair that looks awful. I don't think thin = bad unless we are talking about EXTREMES. I am a ii, so I often feel discouraged that my braid isn't as thick as a baseball bat, but yet I see lovely hair all around that isn't the thickest in the world that still looks amazing.

meteor
October 1st, 2015, 04:23 PM
Huh? Your hair is actually very thick!
Maybe that girl doesn't really know how much hair compresses when it's braided or twisted? :hmm: I think people who don't braid or bun their hair might not be as aware of the compact nature of those styles, especially if the braids they usually see on others are the fluffed/"pancaked" ones or with extensions?

By the way, Becs, I've always been a huge fan of your beautiful braids: not just the thickness, length and shine, but also the intricate styling! :crush: :bowtome: You are quite the braiding expert! :applause

Sarahlabyrinth
October 1st, 2015, 04:30 PM
I don't think you will find anyone around here saying that your hair looks "really thin." NO way.

RavenRose
October 1st, 2015, 04:35 PM
:thud: I wish I had the length and skill to braid that way.

If your braids make your hair really thin, My braids must make mine microscopic.....

I think the girl is just being petty

Christine_O
October 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM
:blossom:She is jealous of your hair she's taking it personally when you do things with it that she wouldn't do. She damages the ends/lacks patience. This is why your hair is naturally gorgeous and she's wearing extensions.
:thud: I can only wait and hope that someday my braids will grow up to be as beautiful as yours.

Deborah
October 1st, 2015, 04:56 PM
She is a silly girl. Ignore her.

Seeshami
October 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM
Oh Sweetie I guarantee she has no idea what you did with those braids. Multi strands like that are in fact "thinner" than a normal braid. It has nothing to do with your hair and everything to do with her not understanding braids. Technically when you compare that style braid to a standard dutch or English braid it will not be as thick on one edge because it's wider on another.

hennalonghair
October 1st, 2015, 05:04 PM
Yep:thumbsup:

:blossom:She is jealous of your hair she's taking it personally when you do things with it that she wouldn't do. She damages the ends/lacks patience. This is why your hair is naturally gorgeous and she's wearing extensions.
:thud: I can only wait and hope that someday my braids will grow up to be as beautiful as yours.

Caraid♫
October 1st, 2015, 05:14 PM
Even if it were true, it would be an extremely untactful thing to say!! honestly! And for the records I do think she's wrong- your hair does not look "very thin" at all!! Very long hair will always be the subject of all sorts of comments it seems
Is there a tutorial somewhere for those types of braids? I love them!

diamond_storm
October 1st, 2015, 05:16 PM
I think your hair is beautiful! It doesn't look thin at all to me. Your hair looks about the same thickness as mine, and I see that you're a ii/iii like me.

You mentioned that she wears extensions..... It could be that she's very self-conscious about her own hair and is hyper-aware of other people's length/thickness so she likes to make comments to put others down. You know, one of those people that likes to talk others down to lift herself up. I've known a few of those in my lifetime:rolleyes:

Sorry she said that. I hope you will try not to let it get you down, though :) Your hair is lovely!

yahirwaO.o
October 1st, 2015, 05:20 PM
Well comming from a person who has actual thin braids and very proud of them I have to say. Dont let her "opinion" get on you. If that take with rather irony and-or humor.

Media has brained washed some people to think, big, long and unrealistic looking hair is the only way to go. She is just a victim from that, so dont take it personal and you said she wears extensions anyways, so its like taking an opinion from a person who cant see how diverse and beautiful real hair is.

You can also preach her the word of LHC website, she needs to be saved from that fake hell hair LOL! :happydance:

spidermom
October 1st, 2015, 05:21 PM
I don't get why everyone is buying into the idea that "really thin" is an insult. She may have just been observing that braiding compresses the volume down a lot. It does - that's just a fact, not an insult.

My braids get really thin toward the ends. Of course they do. My hair is layered.

schnibbles
October 1st, 2015, 05:24 PM
I'm sure what's really happening here is that this girl is taking her own hair-insecurity out on you.
I wouldn't put any stock in her opinion.
Your hair is obviously gorgeous and your braiding skillz are insane. Anyone who can't see that is clueless.

Breezy
October 1st, 2015, 06:38 PM
Oh this is an easy one hun, she is just jealous of you and your hair....

Ingrid
October 1st, 2015, 06:46 PM
Maybe she was suggesting that braiding your hair reduces its volume. There's nothing wrong with thin hair. Hair is hair, thicker doesn't necessarily imply better.

Horrorpops
October 1st, 2015, 06:52 PM
I agree with PPs- my first reaction was that she probably meant that braiding the hair compresses it, and makes it look "really thin" in comparison to when it is down and out.

However I think tone and body language makes a massive difference, and this is giving her the benefit of the doubt. :)

Regardless as others have said your hair looks gorgeous and thick! So don't let those kinds of comments get you down.

AutobotsAttack
October 1st, 2015, 06:52 PM
i think your hair looks absolutely normal and pretty! Especially with those lovely ribbons in your braid design :)

curlylocks85
October 1st, 2015, 08:04 PM
Becs

That comment would hurt my feelings too, especially if I was told my hair was pretty the previous week by the same person. I noticed you said she had told you your hair looks really thin twice. My perspective of what you described is that she said it that way, to instill doubt. The reasons why I cannot comment. I do not know anything about this person.

Your hair looks beautiful to me. I envy your length. I just love how you did your braids. Keep believing how you view yourself. Her comment in the grand scheme of things is of little or no importance. You and your hair are beautiful no matter what anyone else thinks.

Clarkie
October 1st, 2015, 08:33 PM

Yes! This^^^^ pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Your braids are AMAZING!! I would be thrilled to have your thickness and length. If she says anything else remotely insulting simply ask "now why would you say something like that?" and watch her squirm!!! Works every time.

Becs
October 1st, 2015, 08:34 PM
Thank you all so much for your lovely comments :grouphug: . I know I shouldn't let it get to me, it just stings when someone callously insults something you've been working hard on for years, as I have with my hair. Just to clarify, she has never seen my hair down, so I doubt the difference between my hair down and braided had any impact on her comments. But I will try not to let her comment prey on my mind.

burny
October 1st, 2015, 09:04 PM
Obviously your hair looks great, and shouldn't be too concerned with what other people think. But I find that people often say things that don't mean what they actually intend.. it's reasonably rare that people worth caring about, intend to say something to hurt someone.
my "benefit of the doubt" mentality, would say: maybe she means like "normally your hair looks thicker, but to me it doesn't look as thick when it is in braids".. it's also possible that she thinks it looks better thinner.
eg. my when a co-worker tells me mom "your pants look nice today", she feels like they meant "the pants you normally wear are ugly"

lunasea
October 1st, 2015, 09:35 PM
I don't get why everyone is buying into the idea that "really thin" is an insult.

Uhmmm, thank you for this spidermom. I have "really thin" hair without a doubt. It kind of annoys me that that can be said as an insult. Just sayin'

Becs
October 1st, 2015, 09:42 PM
Uhmmm, thank you for this spidermom. I have "really thin" hair without a doubt. It kind of annoys me that that can be said as an insult. Just sayin'

I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone. I do believe that all hair types are beautiful, it is just that that is a moniker I have never had associated with my hair personally, so I was a bit taken aback

MsPharaohMoan
October 1st, 2015, 09:50 PM
I wonder what your braids (in the pictured style) look like when turned to the side... Perhaps they appear 'thin' because the ribbon makes your braid look wide from head on?

spidermom
October 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM

You're welcome. Nothing wrong with thin. And nothing wrong with bushy like mine either, right?

Angela_Rose
October 1st, 2015, 10:17 PM
Forget about her. We are the ones whose hair-related opinions matter, since we know what we're talking about.
So.
After a few days, count up all the compliments in this thread, and use that number to negate the stupid comment that person made.
Here, have another hair praise...
Those braids are flipping amazing. So even! So lovely! Gorgeous, darling, gorgeous.

lunasea
October 1st, 2015, 10:47 PM
You're welcome. Nothing wrong with thin. And nothing wrong with bushy like mine either, right?
Right! Here's to liking who we are and what we have without putting anyone else down in the process because they have something different. :beercheer:

parkmikii
October 1st, 2015, 11:17 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I kind of interpret this as hate and jealousy.. A girl from my class said the same exact thing about my hair while I was starting to wear it in a bun that was a little tighter, she always was like 'omg your hair is so thin why do you keep it long?'. She is ons of those selfish persons who are always wanting everything to be about them, they to be the best, when in fact her hair is abused with flat irons and her braid is as thick as my little finger.. I'd just say to ignore it and to be proud of your hair as jealous people only mean that they secretly admire it and they want you to be less than them :flower:

LegoCaltrops
October 1st, 2015, 11:20 PM
You have gorgeous hair. Not thin at all, judging by that photo. My hair was thin, last time it was long - which was why I chopped it off. I wish I'd been less self conscious of it (realised it wasn't actually that thin) & looked good anyway.

Is there a tutorial for those beautiful braids anywhere?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 1st, 2015, 11:45 PM
Here's a little tip for you. Take a little notebook and write these admiring comments down. Next time you get a negative remark about your hair, you can re read all the good stuff and cheer yourself up.

ravenreed
October 2nd, 2015, 01:17 AM
Maybe instead of thin she meant flat? They are a flatter style of braid. I have no idea how you do them, but I love the colored ribbons!

Stiria
October 2nd, 2015, 03:27 AM
It bothers me a bit that so many people think thin hair = bad hair. Even on this site.

This isn't aimed specifically at you Becs. I understand it must be confusing to hear your hair described as really thin when it clearly isn't. And your hair is very beautiful. But I don't think it would be less so if it was thin.

sarahthegemini
October 2nd, 2015, 03:36 AM
I don't get why everyone is buying into the idea that "really thin" is an insult. She may have just been observing that braiding compresses the volume down a lot. It does - that's just a fact, not an insult.

My braids get really thin toward the ends. Of course they do. My hair is layered.

I was about to say this.

Considering LHC is meant to be such a wonderful place to be, you're not really doing much to make thin haired people feel confident. Quite frankly, the amount of 'omg your hair isn't thin, it's lovely! 'comments is disgusting. Thick hair isn't the only hair that looks nice, Christ. Also, people assuming jealousy - give over will you. Remember: NOT EVERY COMMENT IS DUE TO JEALOUSY. It's really fricking irritating and narcissistic actually to assume if somebody says something other than 'wow I love your hair' they're envious and secretly seething inside that they don't have your hair :rolleyes:

Eta: Also are people seriously saying that the girl in question can't possibly think your hair is pretty and thin?! As someone with thin hair this site disgusts me sometimes tbh. Everyone assumes thin hair is ugly and when they are called out on it, they try to back track...

parkmikii
October 2nd, 2015, 03:58 AM
Quite frankly, the amount of 'omg your hair isn't thin, it's lovely! 'comments is disgusting. Thick hair isn't the only hair that looks nice, Christ. Also, people assuming jealousy - give over will you. Remember: NOT EVERY COMMENT IS DUE TO JEALOUSY. It's really fricking irritating and narcissistic actually to assume if somebody says something other than 'wow I love your hair' they're envious and secretly seething inside that they don't have your hair :rolleyes:

Honestly i really don't see her hair as thin, maybe that's why people say that 'omg it's not thin it's pretty' no one here said that thin hair is ugly. There are also people who called my hair really thin when my ponytail circumference is 9 cm. It's quite close to the iii range. So yes sometimes people do say such things just because they don't have something better to do and this comes from someone who has been picked on and bullied most part of her life.

sarahthegemini
October 2nd, 2015, 04:17 AM
Honestly i really don't see her hair as thin, maybe that's why people say that 'omg it's not thin it's pretty' no one here said that thin hair is ugly. There are also people who called my hair really thin when my ponytail circumference is 9 cm. It's quite close to the iii range. So yes sometimes people do say such things just because they don't have something better to do and this comes from someone who has been picked on and bullied most part of her life.

Lots of comments here have implied that hair (not just op's) hair is 'nice ' because it's not thin. And act as though the concept of having thin hair is an insult.
As for the last part, yes maybe some people do say things to bring people down but it hardly happens as much as the narcissists in life insist upon. Some people make observations, some people genuinely dislike your (general your not you personally) hair and chose to comment on it. Doesn't mean they are harboring a deep desire to have your hair.

Just saying.

hanne jensen
October 2nd, 2015, 04:23 AM
I think those braids are beautiful and the ribbons really make the OP's color stand out. I also noticed in the picture that the braids have no taper.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2015, 04:37 AM
It's not thin, that's for sure, and here's where all the "experts" on that subject matter are, right? ;)

Your braids are nothing but gorgeous, and don't let anyone tell you any different. You're magic with braiding, so I'm betting she hates the fact that your braids are always on point. The fact that she props extensions in her hair is telling enough to me. Jealousy, I bet.

Mimha
October 2nd, 2015, 04:59 AM
Becs,

You certainly get a lot of positive comments about your amazing brainding skills, because it is absolutely remarkable. So why ONE single bad comment should be enough to make you doubt of all the good ones ? This girl is wearing extensions to thicken up her own hair. It means that she isn't happy or self confident enough to sport her hair as it is. So don't take it personnally. Usually, the remarks that people do are revealing much more about themselves than about you.

There are also some other people who don't like you to be remarkable in any way. They wish to draw the attention on themselves otherwise they feel unexistent. So don't give her attention and she will become unexistent^^!... ;)

You are one of the most famous braiding queens of LHC, becs, don't forget that !! :queen:

wilderwein
October 2nd, 2015, 05:06 AM
Oh it has happened to me too! I actually responded "oh I know but I prefer my hair like that, SO FAIRY LIKE *.*" and then she was feeling so awkward Couse usually when people say mean things they expect a different kind of reaction. And have in mind that usually when healthy people say mean things about you they are actually jealous! If it was bad or ugly for real they wouldn't comment anything.

Eta: after reading some comments, you can be jealous of thin hair too! I'm not saying that she is jealous becouse she called thick hair thin, I'm saying she is jealous just because she tried to make it sound as a bad thing. Just like some people who will comment the first second "oh you look pretty" and then "oh gosh you're sooo pale" if I wasnt that kind of pale they wouldn't consider me or my makeup "pretty"

DreamSheep
October 2nd, 2015, 05:48 AM
So, today in class a girl said to me that wearing my hair in braids like I do makes it look "really thin." Not just thin, really thin. I've never had anyone else say that to me. In fact, it's normally the opposite with people telling me I must have a lot of hair. It just really hurt my feelings, because I really love my hair and I'm really proud of it. It's my favorite thing about myself. And in my opinion my hair isn't thin. I've never actually measured my circumference, but when I put it in a ponytail I usually just wrap the elastic around twice. I'm sure the girl wasn't trying to be mean and maybe I shouldn't have let her comment bother me so much, but it made me feel really sad and bad about myself. Yet I find it weird that this girl told me my hair looked really thin because for one, last week she told me she thought my hair was really pretty, and for another I know for a fact she wears hair extensions because I have seen them. But her comment still really got to me. I just wanted to say this stuff here because I feel like if in real life I told someone I was upset someone else said my hair looked thin they wouldn't understand why it upset me, but I feel like you guys will understand. This isn't a picture of my hair today, but this is how I always wear my hair. Does it look ok to you guys??
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n162/cellogirl71/8b5e9bb2-00fb-4564-aa52-21dc4a5368d5_zpsnkjywio9.jpg

On the one hand - no, your hair definitely isn't thin, though even if it was I don't think it would make it less pretty (there is less hair, but the hair that is there is still gorgeous <3) - and she did say you had lovely hair last week so hopefully she isn't implying that "thin" hair is not "pretty", because that's not true - and I think this is a bad notion some people have :) Hair is lovely because it is hair! Thin hair is still hair, just means there are fewer strands overall, but they still grow long, are shiny, are lustrous, are beautiful, can be made into lovely updos, etc.

My guess is that they might refer to the fact braids can look quite 2-D sometimes (mine look thin from one angle and very wide and flat from another) - and I know the intricacy of your braids means that head on they look very wide and almost like a basket-weave, but it does mean the strands themselves made to use it are thinner, and are stacked out, so side-on it probably looks thinner). My guess is that is probably what she referred to.

The other thing is that people don't really get physics that easily - my buns are supposedly humongous on this site, but on the street people range from:
"wow that's a big bun"
to
"wow, you have long hair how do you hide it away so well?!"
to
"wow I thought you had short hair"
mainly because no one assesses what is "normal" in a normal distribution of hair thickness/hairstyling representation in the wild and I think many people (myself included pre-LHC) realise there is even such a variation out there :p

Basically, your hair is lovely, you are super talented <3 and I just think she didn't realise what she said was hurtful if she had complimented it the week before :)

goneJackal
October 2nd, 2015, 06:13 AM
I'm not good at hair type analysis, but I can say it looks beautiful.
Loved the shirt, too! :)

Agnieszka
October 2nd, 2015, 06:16 AM
You have thick hair who someone obviously jealous called thin. It made you feel very very bad. I have really thin hair with thinning patches which makes me feel very bad everyday since last few years, in fact every time I look in the mirror I want to cry. No one ever comments that my hair is nice. While I understand why you feel bad, this post made me feel a little sad. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

KittyBird
October 2nd, 2015, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to call it jealousy. It sounds more like she just made an observation about your hair, nothing more malicious than that. Of course it's impossible for us to know, as none of us were there with you and heard her tone of voice, saw her facial expressions, and so on.

If she or someone else calls your hair thin again, just smile and say thank you. If the comment was intended as an insult, your positive response will ruin the moment for that person.

Personally, I think thin hair is beautiful and I'm often jealous of the petite buns some of the ladies here have. My best friend has around i/ii hair and I often wish I had her hair. It's gorgeous and fairy-like. I think society and also this forum can get quite obsessive about thick hair, and many have a distorted view of what's normal thickness. Your hair looks beautiful to me, and even if it was thin, so what? It would still be beautiful. :)

luxurioushair
October 2nd, 2015, 08:02 AM
In my opinion your braids look very nice.

KellieKay
October 2nd, 2015, 09:03 AM
Some people just don't know any better. They don't think of other people's feelings at all. Your hair is lovely. Try not to let her rude comment hurt you.

ReadingRenee
October 2nd, 2015, 09:40 AM
Kittybird, I love what you had to say. Next time Im feeling bad about my hair being thin, Im coming back to read your comment. :)

OP, Im sorry your feelings were hurt. :( I love your braids! Those look awesome.

spidermom
October 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM
I agree that it's ridiculous to pull out the "jealousy card" every time someone makes a less than stellar comment about someone else's hair. I think it's really arrogant to believe that long-haired people are carrying around this natural resource that everybody else secretly covets. Come on people!

And again, "your hair looks really thin" is NOT AN INSULT and therefore not hurtful.

wilderwein
October 2nd, 2015, 11:34 AM
Guys NO one in real life, and even here, usually say "oh yout hair is so thin" or the "her hair is thin" as a compliment. Let's not be hypocrites. I have thin hair and I know that I have felt bad like a million times when someone remarks it or make a comment about thin hair. For example naturally thin hair it's kinda impossible to have a blunt hemline, yet we will see a lot of people here and in real life wich has thicker hair tell "I wan't to improve my hemline couse it looks soo thin" and for example my healthiest hair it even't doesnt look as thick as the hemline wich is considered really thin and ungly by the person.

I've been there and actually jealousy it's the kindest way to call that behavior. The other senario it's to be completely stupid or the meanest person alive!
You don't just go and say "your hair looks really thin, really flat, really messy" etc to someone. That hurts his/her feelings! It would be a good thing if it would go like "Goosh I love your hair, the fact that it's thin it makes it look so elegant" or something like that.

I love thin hair I REALLY DO! But most of the times someone comments on my hair and use the term "thin" in it, it isn't a compliment, couse he or she will follow with "why don't you cut it into a bob?".

velorutionista
October 2nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
I'm on the same page as Dreamsheep upthread--maybe she just doesn't know or understand that the physics/nature of a many-stranded/multi-strand braid...it ends up using smaller sections and giving a wide ribbon-like effect because the sections all stack up across in a row, not behind one another. So yes, they're "thin", but that's the nature of that particular style, and it's not a bad thing! They're sleek and intricate and polished and colorful and elegant, too! Obviously, I don't have her tone of voice or body language to go off of interpreting her comments, but I'd just chalk it up to a casual observation, don't let it become a value judgement.

YvetteVarie
October 2nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Becs I admire your braiding technique. You should do tutorials

DeadlyUnicorn
October 2nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
I have to agree with some of the other posters.. I think she was just stating the braid looked thinner compared to if you had your hair loose, or in a different style. Especially since she already told you she likes your hair. I would try not to worry about it. :)

Christine_O
October 2nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
You have thick hair who someone obviously jealous called thin. It made you feel very very bad. I have really thin hair with thinning patches which makes me feel very bad everyday since last few years, in fact every time I look in the mirror I want to cry. No one ever comments that my hair is nice. While I understand why you feel bad, this post made me feel a little sad. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

:grouphug:I'm so sorry you're feeling badly about your hair. I also lost a lot of hair about 10 years ago. I probably went from a ii/iii to a very thin i. I know just what that feels like. I've since regained a bit of it. I might even make it back up to 1" diameter if I'm lucky. But I've realized that this is less important than my happiness. Even if I had huge bald spots I would love it and care for it because it's my hair.
But that does not negate my willingness to help a younger and more self-conscious person bolster her own self confidence. Hurtful comments are still hurtful comments, whether they were meant that way or not. We react with pain because we are human and insecure.

Amahaitz
October 2nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
I used to be so offended by people telling me my hair was thin that I told one person it was as bad as if I said his private part was small. :) Since being on LHC, my thinking has changed. Beautiful hair is beautiful hair, no matter the thinness or thickness.

hennalonghair
October 2nd, 2015, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to call it jealousy. It sounds more like she just made an observation about your hair, nothing more malicious than that. Of course it's impossible for us to know, as none of us were there with you and heard her tone of voice, saw her facial expressions, and so on.

If she or someone else calls your hair thin again, just smile and say thank you. If the comment was intended as an insult, your positive response will ruin the moment for that person.

Personally, I think thin hair is beautiful and I'm often jealous of the petite buns some of the ladies here have. My best friend has around i/ii hair and I often wish I had her hair. It's gorgeous and fairy-like. I think society and also this forum can get quite obsessive about thick hair, and many have a distorted view of what's normal thickness. Your hair looks beautiful to me, and even if it was thin, so what? It would still be beautiful. :)

So true about everything. We didn't hear the tone of voice. I missed the part where she complimented you the week before.
It very well could have been an observational point she was mentioning , but let's not act like non of us get jealous and say stupid stuff cause sometimes we are and we do.( not directed at anyone personally here)

Becs
October 2nd, 2015, 02:00 PM
Thank you again to everyone who commented. There are just too many people to respond to individually but I have read everyone's responses. However, I really do not want this to devolve into a conversation about jealousy or whether thick/thin hair is "better" or whatever. I never said she was jealous, and as I am not her I cannot perceive the motivations behind her actions. As some have said, I think what she may have been commenting on is the fact that since I do multistrand braids they become very wide and woven from head on, and because of this it is in their nature to appear a bit thinner from the side. It's just the way those kind of braids are. However, reading some of these comments makes me feel that some of you are upset with me for expressing what I felt in this situation. As I said earlier in the thread, I have never said said that thin hair is in any way bad, nor will you ever hear me say that. I find all hair types beautiful. It was never my intention in creating this thread to hurt anyone's feelings, and I apologize profusely if I have done so. I have looked many a time at the thin/fine hair thread and there are many many beautiful heads of hair over there.
In addition, here is the tutorial I learned that particular braiding technique from as several people were interested in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxlZPmvmdYM

jera
October 2nd, 2015, 03:36 PM
I used to be so offended by people telling me my hair was thin that I told one person it was as bad as if I said his private part was small. :) Since being on LHC, my thinking has changed. Beautiful hair is beautiful hair, no matter the thinness or thickness.

Good point. There is all kinds of beautiful hair out there and we are privileged to see so much of it.

I love your braids. They don't look thin to me at all and I wish I looked as good as you do with braids sweetie. So rock on. :rolling:

missrandie
October 2nd, 2015, 04:07 PM
All I have to say is HOLY WICKED AWESOME BRAIDS!!!

David W
October 2nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
Looks fine to me, who cares what she thinks.

spidermom
October 2nd, 2015, 07:17 PM
By the way, forgot to say earlier - your braids are awesome.

spidermom
October 2nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
Guys NO one in real life, and even here, usually say "oh yout hair is so thin" or the "her hair is thin" as a compliment. Let's not be hypocrites. I have thin hair and I know that I have felt bad like a million times when someone remarks it or make a comment about thin hair. For example naturally thin hair it's kinda impossible to have a blunt hemline, yet we will see a lot of people here and in real life wich has thicker hair tell "I wan't to improve my hemline couse it looks soo thin" and for example my healthiest hair it even't doesnt look as thick as the hemline wich is considered really thin and ungly by the person.

I've been there and actually jealousy it's the kindest way to call that behavior. The other senario it's to be completely stupid or the meanest person alive!
You don't just go and say "your hair looks really thin, really flat, really messy" etc to someone. That hurts his/her feelings! It would be a good thing if it would go like "Goosh I love your hair, the fact that it's thin it makes it look so elegant" or something like that.

I love thin hair I REALLY DO! But most of the times someone comments on my hair and use the term "thin" in it, it isn't a compliment, couse he or she will follow with "why don't you cut it into a bob?".

Well sure, maybe it's not a compliment, but can't it just be an observation?

MoonMaiden
October 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM
I think your hair is beautiful and not thin at all. Ive noticed that being around other girls, they dont always have long hair, like yours or mine. They will say oh your hair is so long and pretty and then make the same statement as was said to you. Your hair is thin/really thin though. Although my hair is not the thickest i dont find it crazy thin either. My hair in its normal state is more straight with a slight wave. you look like you might have the same hair type as myself. Girls get jealous, your hair is beautiful, keep on braiding however you like, and decorating your hair however you like because it is yours, show it off in all its glory :)

hennalonghair
October 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM
By the way, forgot to say earlier - your braids are awesome.

Your braids do look awesome. My braids never look that good .

elvenelk
October 2nd, 2015, 08:23 PM
who cares what anyone thinks bout anything? lol i wish i had thin hair. I'm jealous of people that have it they had so much more options at shorter lengths (nautilus), nicer movement, perkier ponytails, softer looking. i dunno thick hair can be a burden sometimes.. but there are positives.

its about intention not words anyway. if she meant to hurt you she could have said anything. most things can betaken good or bad. depends what you want, and how perceive yourself.
People seeing something that you don't see about yourself can always be derailing especially if it was not what you wanted to hear. Especially when they are said with irreverence.

For the record I personally think it she meant flat not thin. Someone calling you hair thin would have to have hair like has a forcefield against brushes and has its own ecosystem.

I digress:spam: Cool braids btw

Sparklecake
October 3rd, 2015, 04:02 AM
I think you have beautiful hair and that braiding is just gorgeous!

morrigan*
October 3rd, 2015, 04:32 AM

I agree with that. Maybe she's not jealous.

wilderwein
October 3rd, 2015, 04:45 AM
Well sure, maybe it's not a compliment, but can't it just be an observation?

I agree, the question is why someone would make that kind of observation? Calling someone "really skinny" or "really fat" it's also an observation right? But you just don't tell that to people. It's something that a person with common sense realize that it is sounding hurtful even if he doesn't have that kind of intentions.

But let's get back to hair. I think that if it was a really inocent observation that just "slipped her mouth" she would follow with a compliment or something. "Your braids look really thin, soo cool/ awesome". Also many people reported body language AND I AGREE 100% with that. The OP wouldn't make this thread if she for an amount of time didn't felt bad about this. What matters is the result, and the OP felt anger/bad/sad when that comment occured. Now, unless the OP is some kind of super sensitive person, I don't think she was wrong. I mean just think that she started thinking about if the girls comment was a good comment after 50 replies or so.

Normally no one thinks so much about that stuff, they just feel bad about themselves and thats it. It ends there.

What I'm trying to say is that jealousy is the kindest way to describe the girls behavior. Being completely ignorant or mean is so much worse. An adult should already know when he/she may hurt other people feelings, and when something that he/she says sounds bad.

If I wanted to get even deeper I would talk about the fact the she wears extensions, and she comments on other people's hair. And what that shows about her personality! It's like wearing a bunch of makeup and go to a girl who doesnt wear makeup and tell her "you have really red skin, you look different without makeup, you look pale etc"

I have a question about all the people in that thread. Would anyone of you go and tell her "your hair looks really fake"? Thats also an observation, and it's actually true, but I'm sure no one of us would do that, couse we are kind enough to know that this sounds bad, and it would hurt her feelings.

wilderwein
October 3rd, 2015, 05:00 AM
Also I have a friend with gorgeous THICK hair, and she got comments by a girl about how it does look heavy and it's not flattering. HER HAIR IS GORGEOUS!
So it's not just thin hair that gets bullied, some people can bully ANYTHING!

goneJackal
October 3rd, 2015, 05:24 AM
I don't think OP was oversensitive, but the other girl was most insensitive.
If she wanted to make a suggestion or a compliment, she would do it differently.
But she probably just wanted to feel better about herself, not properly offend you.

And what that shows about her personality! It's like wearing a bunch of makeup and go to a girl who doesnt wear makeup and tell her "you have really red skin, you look different without makeup, you look pale etc"

Not exactly your example, but it reminded me:
After a few days going to the beach, pool or something, a person I know always tells me how pale I am.
She makes sure there are as many people listening as possible, because she wants to show them her new tan.
But she doesn't do that to offend me, she does it because it makes her feel better about herself.

Doesn't hurt me because I'm actually very happy with my paleness. :p
But I do feel sorry about her lack of sensitivity, though.

wilderwein
October 3rd, 2015, 05:35 AM
I don't think OP was oversensitive, but the other girl was most undersensitive.
If she wanted to make a suggestion or a compliment, she would do it differently.
But she probably just wanted to feel better about herself, not properly offend you.

Not exactly your example, but it reminded me:
After a few days going to the beach, pool or something, a person I know always tells me how pale I am.
She makes sure there are as many people listening as possible, because she wants to show them her new tan.
But she doesn't do that to offend me, she does it because it makes her feel better about herself.

Doesn't hurt me because I'm actually very happy with my paleness. :p
But I do feel sorry about her lack of sensitivity, though.

Oh it has happened to me too (also it followed with a sunburn and she was trying to make fun of it)! :hifive:
I've also learned to not get bothered by those kind of comments. But it's still not an acceptable behavior, right?
I mean ok, you me the op etc may have more strong personalities, but - and I'm actually proud about this- I've helped so many girls to realize that their insecurities were created by other people and they were actually perfect as they were, that kinda scares me when those kind of comments are given. And thats why I recall common sense. I don't needed any special education or training to understand that what I say it may hurt other people.

Nuala
October 3rd, 2015, 05:44 AM
I've nothing to add to all that's been said, except that I loooooove your braids! :crush:

goneJackal
October 3rd, 2015, 05:58 AM
Oh it has happened to me too (also it followed with a sunburn and she was trying to make fun of it)! :hifive:
I've also learned to not get bothered by those kind of comments. But it's still not an acceptable behavior, right?
I mean ok, you me the op etc may have more strong personalities, but - and I'm actually proud about this- I've helped so many girls to realize that their insecurities were created by other people and they were actually perfect as they were, that kinda scares me when those kind of comments are given. And thats why I recall common sense. I don't needed any special education or training to understand that what I say it may hurt other people.

You are right about it not being acceptable.

But, sadly, I'm hardly surprised when I see people being careless about other people's feelings.
I try not to feel angry about that because it's not usually intended to hurt, it's an egoistic behaviour that is not easy to change.

Best thing to do is prepare ourselves (and help others prepare themselves, as you've done!), as change usually comes from the inside and it's too much frustrating to expect that from egoistic people.

hennalonghair
October 3rd, 2015, 05:59 AM
This is how I feel about comments like these. We've all gotten them and most likely all given them at some point in our life.
Where do these comments come from and why? It seems like people don't like to admit they get jealous. It's like it's such a bad , evil thing that people become in denial about. I doubt there are many people that even understand the feelings of envy.
We understand anger , sadness and happiness well but that jealousy one becomes an emotion that we often feel we need to hide or get rid of somehow. Perhaps we become ashamed of ourselves and this in itself becomes a stigma.
I've had all kinds of comments about my hair and many of them meant to hurt.
Years ago I had a women I didn't even know , who apparently knew me, stop me in the street to give me a lecture about the fact that I have long curly hair and shouldn't be brushing it and this women was mad. She was yelling at me telling me I don't deserve to have long hair if I don't know how to care for it. It was quite shocking to say the least.
I've had strangers come up and try and pull my 6 braid ponytail out. In fact I've had quite a few really hurtful things said and done by others which is perhaps why I never rule out jealousy. But jealousy isn't a bad emotion to feel. It's no different than any other emotion. What matters more is what we do with it. We can feel it, acknowledge it and let it flow through us and be done with it or we can be in denial about it and lie to ourselves which only shoves it down into our sub consciousness where it distorts.
In my life experience women can get jealous and catty, sometimes making the claws come out.

And I doubt anyone would go up to her and say her hair is fake. What they'd mostly do is band together and gossip about the fact that she has fake hair. Maybe even throw in s hurtful comment here and there so perhaps she might have some deep dark resentments that she's dealing with but might not have the awareness to process it all in a healthy manner . That might explain the odd comment here and there from her.

If this were me I'd just confront the person and ask them point blank what they meant exactly and watch their facial expressions closely.
We can usually tell when our friends are lying to us.

hennalonghair
October 3rd, 2015, 06:01 AM
I agree, the question is why someone would make that kind of observation? Calling someone "really skinny" or "really fat" it's also an observation right? But you just don't tell that to people. It's something that a person with common sense realize that it is sounding hurtful even if he doesn't have that kind of intentions.

But let's get back to hair. I think that if it was a really inocent observation that just "slipped her mouth" she would follow with a compliment or something. "Your braids look really thin, soo cool/ awesome". Also many people reported body language AND I AGREE 100% with that. The OP wouldn't make this thread if she for an amount of time didn't felt bad about this. What matters is the result, and the OP felt anger/bad/sad when that comment occured. Now, unless the OP is some kind of super sensitive person, I don't think she was wrong. I mean just think that she started thinking about if the girls comment was a good comment after 50 replies or so.

Normally no one thinks so much about that stuff, they just feel bad about themselves and thats it. It ends there.

What I'm trying to say is that jealousy is the kindest way to describe the girls behavior. Being completely ignorant or mean is so much worse. An adult should already know when he/she may hurt other people feelings, and when something that he/she says sounds bad.

If I wanted to get even deeper I would talk about the fact the she wears extensions, and she comments on other people's hair. And what that shows about her personality! It's like wearing a bunch of makeup and go to a girl who doesnt wear makeup and tell her "you have really red skin, you look different without makeup, you look pale etc"

I have a question about all the people in that thread. Would anyone of you go and tell her "your hair looks really fake"? Thats also an observation, and it's actually true, but I'm sure no one of us would do that, couse we are kind enough to know that this sounds bad, and it would hurt her feelings.
I meant to copy this. :thumbsup:

cat11
October 3rd, 2015, 06:16 AM
Becs I think your hai ris beautiful and like everyone else wanna learn how to do those braids.

I agree with those who say she probably was commenting on how flat they were because of being wider multi strand braids, not that your hair lacked in volume!!

Also I have a friend with gorgeous THICK hair, and she got comments by a girl about how it does look heavy and it's not flattering. HER HAIR IS GORGEOUS!
So it's not just thin hair that gets bullied, some people can bully ANYTHING!

This is so true. I got bullied for having really thick hair in middle school because it was poofy and straight hair that was sleeker to the body was in.

I don't think people were trying to say her hair would be ugly if it were thin, in this thread. I think everybody was just trying to reassure Becs that HER hair wasn't thin AND it looked good (as separate things, not one causing the other) because that's the reason she started this thread, she was worried about what someone said regarding HER personal thickness. Everyone has differerent hair priorities and characteristics that they feel they have or that are important to them. Becs said she personally valued her thickness, and since it's important to her people were ensuring her it was indeed what she thought it was.

That's different from saying any person looks bad with thin hair, or implying her hair would look bad if it were indeed thinner. That's SO not the point of this thread, it was more personal, and the comments are more based on that personal aspect of it.

I don't think people should get offended by stuff like this. People have different values with hair. Why get offended if someone else likes brown when you have blue? A person might value,say, sleekness and darker hair, and so they always compliment things like this and say "wow your hair is so straight, or wow it's so dark!" saying so doesn't imply the opposite is bad, it just means they value the trait they're complimenting. It's a well known fact a lot of people value thick hair so you will oft hear people praise it. And if that's what someone values they want to be reassured they have it. That's normal not insulting. Maybe someone who has been feeling bogged down with so much hair will feel envious of people with thinner hair that is less cumbersome. Like "wow that persons hair is beautiful and they don't even have that much of it. " I know I've thought that. I just don't think people should set such a store about what other's value. Theyre are a lot of people on this forum who are not "go thick or go home Nazis" and I think threads like the puny bun thread prove that people can be confident about their hair not being huge, and there is still a lot to compliment on other than thickness.....like intricacy, for one. I am personally envious of how some buns look on people with thinner, sleeker hair.

wilderwein
October 3rd, 2015, 06:23 AM
You are right about it not being acceptable.

But, sadly, I'm hardly surprised when I see people being careless about other people's feelings.
I try not to feel angry about that because it's not usually intended to hurt, it's an egoistic behaviour that is not easy to change.

Best thing to do is prepare ourselves (and help others prepare themselves, as you've done!), as change usually comes from the inside and it's too much frustrating to expect that from egoistic people.

Oh thats true! It's kinda funny couse if an egoistic person see's that you don't give a f*** then he/she tries even harder to bring you down, and gets so ridiculus. Reminds me a girl in college "You look bad with your hair up" "You are sooo pale, it doesn't look healthy, I mean look at me" "How did you grow your hair long? Well is sooo thin" "Oh you have a cute face but your body is kinda manly" (I asked why and she responed "well being tall and skinny it looks just baaaaaaad" AND THEN THE FINAL STEP in a conversation with many people "Well she doesn't wear clothes that shows stuff becouse her boobs are soooo small". So bassicaly what was wrong with me, it's that I'm not HER! :lol:

hennalonghair
Exactly!
I honestly think that jealousy in a way it's quite a good emotion if it's in control. It makes you try harded to achieve things. If someone has a good job for example, jealousy if it's in denial will make you try to bring him down, if you accept it you will also try to find a good job by yourself.
Same with hair, I was so jealous for my bestfriend's long hair, that I actually told her "I'm jealous I want it, teach me how you grew it so long and healthy" and honestly she was smiling like a child and tried to share all of her "secrets". It made her feel good about her hair. Thats why (I know I repeat my self) jealousy here is the best scenario.

cat11 Personally I didn't get bothered by the fact that she believes the hair looks thin. I personally love thin hair. Thin hair reminds me fairies and thick hair reminds me mermaids, and thats it.
I'm bothered by the fact that people will try to bring you down just becouse you don't follow their standars of beauty. The "it looks really thin" in my personal point of view, sounds bad and rude. Such as "it looks so thick and heavy". It doesn't sound good.

ETA: It's obvious that Becs hair is gorgeous, so I try to explain the girl's behavior.

browneyedsusan
October 3rd, 2015, 07:31 AM
How crass! Who on earth says something so obviously hurtful OUT LOUD?
Her brain-to-mouth filter is obviously malfunctioning, or she's just being mean.

Wear your hair loose and flip it around next time you see her!

LauraAlaina
October 3rd, 2015, 09:44 AM
ANY hurtful comment you will ever receive about your hair completely comes from a place of JEALOUSY!!! Trust me! Conservative ladies who look down on colored hair, (jealous because they would never be free enough to pull something like that off) people snubbing long hair (jealous they themselves dont have it) and etc etc...

DakarNick
October 3rd, 2015, 11:58 AM
Your hair rocks, Becs. It's thick and your braids are amazing. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Entangled
October 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
ANY hurtful comment you will ever receive about your hair completely comes from a place of JEALOUSY!!! Trust me! Conservative ladies who look down on colored hair, (jealous because they would never be free enough to pull something like that off) people snubbing long hair (jealous they themselves dont have it) and etc etc...

I really disagree. A lot of people find long hair genuinely gross and there is no jealosy involved whatsoever. It's like when adults tell little girls that the guys who bully them really have a crush on them. Sometimes it's true, but a lot of the time it's just cruelty.

Feuerengel
October 3rd, 2015, 02:40 PM
I wish my ONE braid was as thick as one of your two braids! Your hair is in no way thin.

wilderwein
October 3rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
I wish my ONE braid was as thick as one of your two braids! Your hair is in no way thin.

I love your usernameee (I'm not German just a rammstein fan)

vega
October 3rd, 2015, 02:57 PM
I don't think it's all about jealousy I have family that just don't like hair , like my aunt thinks it's just unhygienic , I think it's nonsense but tHere are many people who just don't like hair long

Sarahlabyrinth
October 3rd, 2015, 03:01 PM
I don't think it's all about jealousy I have family that just don't like hair , like my aunt thinks it's just unhygienic , I think it's nonsense but tHere are many people who just don't like hair long

This is very true.

Becs
October 3rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
Guys please I never said she was jealous so can people please please stop arguing about that? :flower:

Tobasco
October 3rd, 2015, 04:31 PM
I think she probably was having a bad day or maybe you did something that she felt justified in saying something ugly to you, but she's wrong. Your hair is not thin. If you acted in any way like you LIKE your hair or are proud of how nice it looks (it does look nice, you SHOULD be proud) she may have felt she needed to say something to deflate you. Or maybe her dog is sick and she is lashing out. People have all sorts of baggage they carry around and we never know what their 'problem' is. The final analysis, though, is that your hair and braids are NOT thin, she's wrong, and so you file her comment in the part of your brain marked "garbage can" and move onto something else to think about. Just because words come from someone's mouth does not mean they are true or valid. Sometimes they are just sounds coming from someone who is in pain or who is less smart than they could be.

luxurioushair
October 3rd, 2015, 04:44 PM
Well, that got blown way out of proportion!

Komao
October 3rd, 2015, 05:13 PM

Try not to let her comments get to you. Your hair looks lovely and not thin at all! :)

spidermom
October 3rd, 2015, 05:46 PM

A man I knew a long time ago told me "You have really big thighs, girl!" It hurt my feelings so much (I cried), but it turned out that coming from him it was a compliment because he loved big thighs. He had no idea why I was crying. That taught me a valuable lesson about considering the source and the benign possibilities before reacting. It's not emotionally healthy to run around through life with such thin skin that every thoughtless remark causes us to bleed all over the Internet looking for reassurance. I am NOT singling out Becs. I've seen so many threads like this over the years.

Also Becs, it's true that you didn't say anything about jealousy, but oftentimes a thread takes on a life of its own and wanders down new paths.

wilderwein
October 3rd, 2015, 06:08 PM
A man I knew a long time ago told me "You have really big thighs, girl!" It hurt my feelings so much (I cried), but it turned out that coming from him it was a compliment because he loved big thighs. He had no idea why I was crying. That taught me a valuable lesson about considering the source and the benign possibilities before reacting. It's not emotionally healthy to run around through life with such thin skin that every thoughtless remark causes us to bleed all over the Internet looking for reassurance.

There is a huge difference tho, he was a man talking to a woman. I really hate to say that, but in my experience women are more cruel to other women than men.
I agree about the thin skin and that we should be more strong, but if someone let's say it hasn't that ability then he may find him/herself into a really dark place. Thats why I'm so passionate about what I am saying. One of the main differences we have from animals, is the ability to communicate. When that communication is used incorectly, you just never know were it may lead. Communication and words is an extremely strong "weapon".

I guess the reason I am so mad, is not becs and her story in particular, as some people may say IT'S JUST HAIR. But sometimes one thoughtless rude remark it may be crucial for the receiver.

*ReiKa*
October 3rd, 2015, 06:39 PM
I really disagree. A lot of people find long hair genuinely gross and there is no jealosy involved whatsoever. It's like when adults tell little girls that the guys who bully them really have a crush on them. Sometimes it's true, but a lot of the time it's just cruelty.

I agree, I met a good amount of people that genuinely don't like long hair. No jealousy involved, they just plain don't like it.

I really want to offer you a different point of view about her comment, because yes, sometimes things aren't how they look.
I think (and I see this happening often, to me too) people sometimes just don't realise that what is coming out of their mouth may simply turn out a bit inappropriate, or that may sound just TOTALLY inappropriate/wrong/nasty for the receiver of the comment.
Misunderstanding. Never happened to any of you? I said many things many times that were just badly interpreted, and I received also comments that just sounded rude or nasty.
In fact, I've got a perfect example for you: a guy I used to work with one day told me "you hair is getting so long, you should cut it back to here at least" (and he indicated a BSL lenght).
Now, I have TBL hair and you can figure yourself how much I should have cut off, in his opionion. I "should", I mean, why I should cut that much hair?
It was obvious that he just didn't like my very long hair, but wanted to express his opinion (well, no one asked him though!) and thought that that was an ok thing to say, that saying that wouldn't hurt me. We had a good relationship and there was no reason in the world that he wanted to say something nasty to me.
People often just give unrequested opinions and make comments that they think are not malicious, but for you it's the opposite.
It's just a common problem with communication.

spidermom
October 3rd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Good point ReiKa. I've heard some pretty thoughtless things come out of my own mouth, not because I was jealous or wanted to be rude or mean but just because my words came out differently than I intended. I've also been accused of having a malicious tone of voice or facial expressions when I'm really just tired or stressed out over something. Sometimes we think we've got intention figured out but couldn't be more wrong.

goneJackal
October 4th, 2015, 03:22 AM
Becs, there's only one way to solve this.
Call her here to LHC, we need a hearing!

:p

Kome
October 4th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Sounds to me like she's jealous and had to put you down to feel better about herself, but that is just my opinion. And your hair is gorgeous! Love that do. :)

Winterwitch
October 4th, 2015, 03:36 AM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me, but I have a few of theories on the girls comment.
1.) From the side, braids with ribbons like that look thinner than a basic braid. That could have been what she noticed.
2.) If she saw your hair in a different style and thought it looked especially thick, she could have thought your hair in braids looks very thin in comparison to when you wear it in a different style.
3.) She doesn't like your hair in braids as much as she does in other styles, so it was a passive aggressive attempt to get you to wear your hair the way she likes it.
4.) Jealousy. Your hair is pretty obviously not thin at all, so maybe she was jealous of it and said that to make you feel bad (but this seems unlikely, I don't think most people are like that. Although she could have been especially resentful of it if she was having a bad day. Bringing herself up by putting others down.)
5.) Maybe by "thin" she meant "fine" as in silky and smooth, and it was meant as a compliment. Especially if English is her second language.

I think my first or fifth theory is correct. Maybe the second. She probably didn't understand that it was hurtful.

dogzdinner
October 4th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Id try not take one upsetting comment to heart. You have said that she also thought your hair was pretty! also that most people compliment you on your hairs thickness...
Alot of us would love to have hair as 'thin' as yours!!;)

*ReiKa*
October 4th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me, but I have a few of theories on the girls comment.
1.) From the side, braids with ribbons like that look thinner than a basic braid. That could have been what she noticed.
2.) If she saw your hair in a different style and thought it looked especially thick, she could have thought your hair in braids looks very thin in comparison to when you wear it in a different style.
3.) She doesn't like your hair in braids as much as she does in other styles, so it was a passive aggressive attempt to get you to wear your hair the way she likes it.
4.) Jealousy. Your hair is pretty obviously not thin at all, so maybe she was jealous of it and said that to make you feel bad (but this seems unlikely, I don't think most people are like that. Although she could have been especially resentful of it if she was having a bad day. Bringing herself up by putting others down.)
5.) Maybe by "thin" she meant "fine" as in silky and smooth, and it was meant as a compliment. Especially if English is her second language.

I think my first or fifth theory is correct. Maybe the second. She probably didn't understand that it was hurtful.

See, I think the option I highlighted is very, very possible!
And you know why? it just came to my mind that I was once told that my hair looked thinner when it's super straight!
And the person that told me this was a girl I also used to go out with, that praised my hair almost everyday for being so thick and healthy and gorgeous, so she was just observing that my hair looked differently when it's very straight (compared to other hairstyles she's seen me with, like braid waves).

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 07:32 AM
If she wears extensions she more than likely is harboring some hidden jealously or something so tries to find things 'wrong' with your hair so that she can point it out. I get it. Your hair is beautiful. I wish I had hair like yours! But not so much so that I would make a rude comment about your hair in order to make myself feel better. And then again, maybe she just doesn't understand that real hair is in fact thinner than hair that has extensions in it. If she was comparing your natural length hair to her extension length hair then of course her hair is thicker which would cause her to view yours as thin when in reality it is not thin at all, if that makes sense. I understand you didn't say she was jealous, but if I were her and wearing extensions to make up for my lack of hair, the only reason I would make a snarky comment to someone about their natural hair is if I was jealous. I am just trying to put myself in her shoes.

Also, I can see that you were looking for support and posted this not to start a war on what type of hair was best, thick or thin. I feel bad that it got turned into something sort of attacking you when clearly you didnt mean anything rude by posting it. I hope you did find the support you were looking for in the midst of the misunderstanding. :)

Saldana
October 4th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how you do the braiding/ribbons thing.

Your hair is fine. It doesn't look thin to me, but that being said, so what if it is? There is nothing wrong with 'thin' hair. A good response to your friend's statement might have been a neutral "huh..you think so?..." then either walk away or change the subject.

sarahthegemini
October 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Pahahaha. Okay, you keep believing that :rolleyes:

sarahthegemini
October 4th, 2015, 09:41 AM
How crass! Who on earth says something so obviously hurtful OUT LOUD?
Her brain-to-mouth filter is obviously malfunctioning, or she's just being mean.

Wear your hair loose and flip it around next time you see her!

Yes, because it's so hurtful to be told your hair is thin. The horror! Ugh, there is so much wrong with your post.

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Sarah, this is turning into such a hateful thread. None of these comments are necessary :shrug:

cadencesday
October 4th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Beautiful real hair! Consider the source, she probably isn't a very nice person.

sarahthegemini
October 4th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Sarah, this is turning into such a hateful thread. None of these comments are necessary :shrug:

It's turning into a hateful thread because people are making horrible comments about thin hair. Maybe you should take issue with those dishing out the nasty remarks?

Eta: You don't need to criticise one (hair, body etc) type to build another up. Just saying. Maybe if people remembered this, the world would be a nicer place!

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Should I bring up the :cheese: ???

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Should I bring up the :cheese: ???

I don't know what that is, but if it is cheese then YES. I could go for some cheese right now :)

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I don't know what that is, but if it is cheese then YES. I could go for some cheese right now :)

I didnt knew about it till I searched and here is the story :eyebrows: :

Well, number one, cheese is awesome!! But besides that, there is a backstory and I am feeling like telling a story tonight.

Gather round my dears and I will tell you The Legend of the Cheese. A long, long, long time ago in a land called The Long Hair Community there was some grouchiness and some snarkiness and some general belly aching going on. It was a sad, sad day. Long hairs were getting very heated and hurting each other's feelings something terrible.

It was such a shame, just a crying shame to see those who cared about each other feeling anger in their hearts toward others in our lovely community.

Fortunately, a champion arose. Her name was KarenMarie, an expert wielder of the great cheese who was both brave and wise. She realized, what we should have known all along, that there was nothing so bad in our community that couldn't be fixed by a lovely piece of cheese. Who doesn't love cheese after all? She started offering cheese to people and, as if by magic, the fussing and the fighting went away.

The LHC was awed by the power of the cheese. It could hardly be believed that this wonderful (and tasty) substance could bring about peace and heal the occasional misunderstandings that come when such large groups of long hairs get together.

Cheese stands as a reminder to our community that no discussion (no matter how crazy) is worth hurting our friends and fellow adventurers on this very long quest toward long hair.

And those that remember that momenteous day in LHC history have told the tales to the next generation, as I am telling the tale to you. Go out!!! I beseech you! Wield the cheese with love, sowing peace and harmony wherever you go. All of you, who are hearing this story, are now part of the legend. Carry it out the sacred responsibility as you see fit, spreading cheese wherever you see the seeds of discontent.

Long live the cheese!!!!

(Basic cheese info from memory and supported by this archived thread lol. I am in storyteller mode tonight, you will have to forgive me.)
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=36249

spidermom
October 4th, 2015, 10:18 AM
It's turning into a hateful thread because people are making horrible comments about thin hair. Maybe you should take issue with those dishing out the nasty remarks?

Eta: You don't need to criticise one (hair, body etc) type to build another up. Just saying. Maybe if people remembered this, the world would be a nicer place!

Exactly. My heart aches for all the thin-haired longhairs reading so many remarks like "She said you have thin hair? The outrage! How rude! How insensitive! What a horrible thing to say; she must be jealous of your obviously not-thin hair! Everybody knows that saying you have thin hair is not a compliment!" That's so much worse than the "hurtful comment" that started this discussion.

Becs
October 4th, 2015, 10:20 AM
How can I get the mods to close this thread?? This is in no way what I intended to happen when I started it. It is becoming rude and people are just arguing. I would really prefer if this thread could be closed.

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 10:24 AM
How can I get the mods to close this thread?? This is in no way what I intended to happen when I started it. It is becoming rude and people are just arguing. I would really prefer if this thread could be closed.

I think that is a good idea, Becs. I reported two of the rude/problematic posts in hopes that the thread will be locked so that the rude remarks will be put to an end . However, if that can't happen I am all for trying the :cheese: idea someone had a few posts back!! Cheese always makes me feel better, I don't know about you guys :)

sarahthegemini
October 4th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Exactly. My heart aches for all the thin-haired longhairs reading so many remarks like "She said you have thin hair? The outrage! How rude! How insensitive! What a horrible thing to say; she must be jealous of your obviously not-thin hair! Everybody knows that saying you have thin hair is not a compliment!" That's so much worse than the "hurtful comment" that started this discussion.

Right there with ya Spidermom :)

Becs
October 4th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I think that is a good idea, Becs. I reported two of the rude/problematic posts in hopes that the thread will be locked so that the rude remarks will be put to an end . However, if that can't happen I am all for trying the :cheese: idea someone had a few posts back!! Cheese always makes me feel better, I don't know about you guys :)

Is there anything I have to do to get them to close it or will they just see my desire to have it closed here and lock it?

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Is there anything I have to do to get them to close it or will they just see my desire to have it closed here and lock it?
I wish I knew! There might be a list somewhere of admins that you could message about it?

Edited to add this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118522&p=2602471&viewfull=1#post2602471

I read this thread created by a mod. If you report a post here and state that you are the OP on the thread and that you want it to be locked it might work. When you report something it does always get seen by admins so that they will see it and determine whether or not they think it needs to be locked or not.

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:30 AM

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: lets enjoy it together, whoever wants will join us, we have plenty of it!
:bottomsup: we'll have a bit of wine too!

DreamSheep
October 4th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Message Chromis or Gumball or neko_kawaii perhaps?

Also, agree that all hairtypes are lovely and none is better than the rest.
In the end, it is hair, and hair is nice :)!

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 10:33 AM
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: lets enjoy it together, whoever wants will join us, we have plenty of it!
:bottomsup: we'll have a bit of wine too!

Ah, yes! The best combination: wine AND cheese :heart:

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Ah, yes! The best combination: wine AND cheese :heart:

My gosh we understand each other! Now just imagine us beeing in front of a fireplace, inside of a house in the woods, in wintertime, enjoying our wine and cheese. More LHC members will come and we will share hair secrets, and admire each other beautiful hair.

Becs
October 4th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Guys please I really don't want this to become one of those crazy threads that everyone comes back to and laughs at. I'm already embarrassed enough that this thread took such an unexpected turn into an argument over jealousy and hair type, which I truly never saw coming, and certainly never intended. I just really want it closed so it can be forgotten about.

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Becs don't worry and don't feel bad. It's just a bunch of different opinions. No one charge you for something, and it's not your fault just becouse some people don't agree with each other. Also it's not the first thread to have such arguments. I'm just 9 months on LHC but I've already had read at least 4 threads about that topic.
So just don't feel bad :love:

goneJackal
October 4th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I don't think anybody here meant that having thin hair is bad (as it's obviously not).
It's about OP context and the way the other girl put it.

That being said, I'm all-in for the cheese! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/cheese.gif

Someday, I'll bring you some emoticons I made for another forum. We call them emotikongs. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/kong_81.gif

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:49 AM
I don't think anybody here meant that having thin hair is bad (as it's obviously not).
It's about OP context and the way the other girl put it.

That being said, I'm all-in for the cheese! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/cheese.gif

Someday, I'll bring you some emoticons I made for another forum. We call them emotikongs. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/kong_81.gif

The day has come! Show us the emoticons!
The last one it's not from our site right?

Becs
October 4th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Becs don't worry and don't feel bad. It's just a bunch of different opinions. No one charge you for something, and it's not your fault just becouse some people don't agree with each other. Also it's not the first thread to have such arguments. I'm just 9 months on LHC but I've already had read at least 4 threads about that topic.
So just don't feel bad :love:

Thank you wilderwein :heart:

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Thank you wilderwein :heart:

<3 :grouphug:

dogzdinner
October 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Its ironic really that if you called somebody thin in general then they would probably be quite happy....and if you called them thick they would be insulted!!LOL:D

(currently sporting 2 teeny iddle pencil thin braids, which Im quite proud of!)

neko_kawaii
October 4th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I think what this discussion has reminded us is that all hair thicknesses have their advantages and drawbacks and none should be taken as an insult. The advice to say "thank you" when you feel insulted is wise. Not everyone shares the same value vocabulary. It can be very easy to misunderstand a complement and intended insults are throw off their game by ready acceptance.

I see nothing in this thread to merit immediate closure. That will be decided when multiple mods have a chance to discuss it.

goneJackal
October 4th, 2015, 11:42 AM
The day has come! Show us the emoticons!
The last one it's not from our site right?

All in due time! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_feliz.gif

Maybe I'll even make new ones to use here in LHC!

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 11:46 AM
All in due time! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_feliz.gif

Maybe I'll even make new ones to use here in LHC!

:popcorn: waiting for the day

goneJackal
October 4th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I present to you the wine-and-cheese-black-haired-emotikong!
http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blackhaircheesewine.gif

And his fellows hairy emotikongs:
http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blackhair.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_redhair.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blonde.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_brownhair.gif

They don't actually know the thickness of their hairs, and they really don't care!

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I present to you the wine-and-cheese-black-haired-emotikong!
http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blackhaircheesewine.gif

And his fellows hairy emotikongs:
http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blackhair.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_redhair.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_blonde.gif http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_brownhair.gif

They don't actually know the thickness of their hairs, and they really don't care!

=O I WAS ABOUT TO REQUEST THE HAIR COLORS!!!!!!
Wine and cheese emoticon? CAN WE DO THAT A THING OVERHERE????? :thud:

wilderwein is impressed right now :lol:

Feuerengel
October 4th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I love your usernameee (I'm not German just a rammstein fan)

Aww thanks :) I'm not German either but spent some time over there and speak a bit of the language.

ReadingRenee
October 4th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I have never had wine and cheese together at the same time. Am I missing out?

:cheese:

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I have never had wine and cheese together at the same time. Am I missing out?

:cheese:

Oh yes deffinetly try it! I'm not sure about what cheese in particular to suggest couse there are bunch of them. But just try to get various of them and enjoy it while drinking red wine :eyebrows:

teddygirl
October 4th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Even if your hair looks thin - why is that bad? Why do you take that as an insult? It's not. Would you be offended if she said your hair looks really straight? Hair comes in all sizes, shapes, textures and thicknesses. I wouldn't even worry about what she said, and I wouldn't take that as an insult.

*ReiKa*
October 4th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Girls, you all MUST try (in case you haven't tried already) cheese topped with jam!!! I'm telling you, it's just HEAVEN.
I've never tried with soft cheeses, but I certainly did with hard, matured cheeses and boy, it's super delicious :thud:
Here a link for pairings: https://www.lunagrown.com/jam-and-cheese-pairings/

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Girls, you all MUST try (in case you haven't tried already) cheese topped with jam!!! I'm telling you, it's just HEAVEN.
I've never tried with soft cheeses, but I certainly did with hard, matured cheeses and boy, it's super delicious :thud:
Here a link for pairings: https://www.lunagrown.com/jam-and-cheese-pairings/

I've tried with soft cheese and it was delicious, I never thought about hard cheese tho o_o MUST TRY!!!!! The image on that article is quite promising

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Realistically I will eat cheese with anything because I love it so much. I have never tried a cheese I didnt like, but I of course have not tried them all so who knows :) I have to find a pairing for now that is not wine and see what comes close to as tasty :cheese:

Hairkay
October 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I've heard of hard cheese and quince jelly in a sandwich. It's a Brazilian thing, they call it Romeo and Juliet. The jelly is so thick it's sliced just like the cheese. In the Caribbean we have a guava version which we call guava cheese. I've never heard it eaten together with cheese there except the one time I was in holiday camp and we had rolls for breakfast with a choice of cheese, jam and pepperoni for toppings. Someone just put all of the toppings together in their roll and added pepper sauce. They said it was delicious.

Oh, I have tried cheddar and peanut butter in sandwich, strangely it works.;)

ravenreed
October 4th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Now I want to try a Romeo and Juliet!

I've heard of hard cheese and quince jelly in a sandwich. It's a Brazilian thing, they call it Romeo and Juliet. The jelly is so thick it's sliced just like the cheese. In the Caribbean we have a guava version which we call guava cheese. I've never heard it eaten together with cheese there except the one time I was in holiday camp and we had rolls for breakfast with a choice of cheese, jam and pepperoni for toppings. Someone just put all of the toppings together in their roll and added pepper sauce. They said it was delicious.

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Realistically I will eat cheese with anything because I love it so much. I have never tried a cheese I didnt like, but I of course have not tried them all so who knows :) I have to find a pairing for now that is not wine and see what comes close to as tasty :cheese:

Loool I still say NO to roquefort cheese. I don't care how tasty it is, I refuse to eat it.

Hairkay I blame you for wanting so bad a sandwich with cheddar and peanut butter right now! (Peanut butter it isn't well known here, at all, but I have a sence that I would like it A LOT), Not to mention the Romeo and Juliet, quince jelly is one of my favorites jelly.

Btw I googled guava cheese and seems so tasty! I haven't ever ate a guava either. SO MANY FOODS TO TRY so little time.....

Mammasaurusrex
October 4th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Now I am going to go google roquefort cheese because Ive never heard of it! I want to see what it is all about. As for cheddar and peanut butter, that sounds oddly delicious and now I am wishing I had cheddar cheese at home :)

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Now I am going to go google roquefort cheese because Ive never heard of it! I want to see what it is all about. As for cheddar and peanut butter, that sounds oddly delicious and now I am wishing I had cheddar cheese at home :)

Hahahaha I want to hear your impressions about it!

Hairkay
October 4th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Now I want to try a Romeo and Juliet!

I've found a recipe.
http://www.decisionsciencenews.com/2014/08/28/make-romeo-juliet-sandwich/

The dessert on it's own.

http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/brazilian-romeo-and-juliet-romeu-e-julieta/

goneJackal
October 4th, 2015, 07:42 PM
=O I WAS ABOUT TO REQUEST THE HAIR COLORS!!!!!!
Wine and cheese emoticon? CAN WE DO THAT A THING OVERHERE????? :thud:

wilderwein is impressed right now :lol:

I don't see a reason not to! http://felipesv.com/forum/k_sorriso.gif

It's really good!

We know Romeo and Juliet (or "Romeu e Julieta") as cheese with guava jelly (or "queijo com goiabada"), actually!
Google just told me that cheese with quince jelly (or "queijo com marmelada") is Portugal's version of Romeo and Juliet. Didn't know that!

You never heard of them being eaten together with cheese, right?
That's why they're called Romeo and Juliet. It's forbidden love between food and dessert, salty and sweet!

But with a happy ending. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_lingua.gif

ravenreed
October 5th, 2015, 01:46 AM
I will have to hunt down some guava paste, or quince, and report back. I adore cream cheese, but don't usually eat it with sweet stuff.

I've found a recipe.
http://www.decisionsciencenews.com/2014/08/28/make-romeo-juliet-sandwich/

The dessert on it's own.

http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/brazilian-romeo-and-juliet-romeu-e-julieta/

Alex Lou
October 5th, 2015, 02:36 AM
I'll have to try making guava paste. I have a tree that drops tons of fruit in Nov and the fruit is not that tasty if eaten fresh but is fantastic for making into a jam and using in desert recipes!

luxurioushair
October 6th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Melted cheese on anything is the best way to go, in my humble opinion...

wilderwein
October 6th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Melted cheese on anything is the best way to go, in my humble opinion...

I'm not gonna disagree
Macaroni and cheese :love:

missrandie
October 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM
My favorite cheese at the moment is ye olde Monterey cheese... So light, so melty.. I put it on nearly everything. Mmm and if I added some pepper jam on top of a slice on a cracker... Heaven!

wilderwein
October 6th, 2015, 09:51 AM
My favorite cheese at the moment is ye olde Monterey cheese... So light, so melty.. I put it on nearly everything. Mmm and if I added some pepper jam on top of a slice on a cracker... Heaven!

Aaaaaaand I'm hungry again......

hennalonghair
October 6th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Aaaaaaand I'm hungry again......

A genuine cheese conversation .....:cheese: :lol:

wilderwein
October 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM
A genuine cheese conversation .....:cheese: :lol:

Ahahahahaahahaahhahah gosh I love you guys!
A site of hair and I still get to laugh and have so much of good time <3

Anje
October 6th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Suddenly, I really want to get a big block of Stilton.

We experimented with it once to see if it would give you weird dreams. It did! This was right after Hurricane Sandy: I dreamed that Chris Christie was touring the damage and a broken tree fell on him! Woke up utterly convinced that I'd seen this on the news or something.

missrandie
October 6th, 2015, 01:29 PM

We experimented with it once to see if it would give you weird dreams. It did! This was right after Hurricane Sandy: I dreamed that Chris Christie was touring the damage and a broken tree fell on him! Woke up utterly convinced that I'd seen this on the news or something.

I have never heard of this strange dream cheese! Not that I need any help in that department..

spidermom
October 6th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Cheese and jam together does not sound appetizing to me, but I have been known to put a slice of cheese on a sliced banana sandwich with mayonnaise. That sounds kind of yucky now, too, but in the past I was a big fan.

Hairkay
October 6th, 2015, 02:36 PM
This thread has totally gone to the cheese :cheese:

wilderwein
October 6th, 2015, 02:51 PM

I have never heard of this strange dream cheese! Not that I need any help in that department..

Ahahahaha me too! I get the weirdest dreams anyway, but I would like to try it for scientific reasons of course :lol:

Cheese and jam together does not sound appetizing to me, but I have been known to put a slice of cheese on a sliced banana sandwich with mayonnaise. That sounds kind of yucky now, too, but in the past I was a big fan.

Cheese and banana? Now that is something I never tried! -and I should try-

This thread has totally gone to the cheese :cheese:

Oh my God cheese is for real super powrfull on LHC! :lol:

Mammasaurusrex
October 7th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know if guava paste is something that we can purchase at a store in America? I'm willing to give it a try even though it doesn't look like a very good texture. As for cream cheese with sweet stuff, it's rare that I'll chose that over cream cheese with savory stuff. I love veggie cream cheese on an everything bagel. I haven't had one in too long!

SparkleToes
October 7th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Yeah definitely ignore her. Your hair is gorgeous!! I have seen people with "really thin" hair and it's not you :crush::crush::crush::crush::crush:

pahbee
October 8th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Since the girl was the only one who thought her hair was thin, the comment must be more about the girl than the OP.

Thin hair can be healthy too, sometimes it's just genetics. My mom's hair is very thin, like mine, but at age 60 or so it's still deep blue black in color and healthy looking.

lucy.kate1994
October 13th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Your hair is beautiful! Don't let her get you down :)

fairylover46
October 14th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Sounds like someone is jealous of your beautiful hair. She is trying to plant a seed of doubt in your head and make you feel self conscious about your hair. She's one of those people who try to tear others down to build themselves up. (which always comes across as mean spirited, petty, and stupid) Don't let her get to you. Your hair is gorgeous! I am always in awe of your braids and ribboning. Whenever I see a pic of your hair I call everyone in the house to come look at it and they are always amazed. Be confident in the fact that you have envy worthy beautiful, thick, healthy hair and strut it!!

Neelie
October 15th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I have a pixie after a bad decision and ppl say I look like a little boy :(
really not helping my confidence!

Mammasaurusrex
October 20th, 2015, 05:45 PM

That stage as so hard for me! I thought I would never get past it. It took a good six months or so and I can't believe it went by that quickly. I wish I hadn't have trimmed it when I did though. I trimmed it twice to avoid the mullet stage and I really regret it now. I probably lost about three inches or more during cutting those two times to even it out.

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 05:54 PM

I hate the "you look like a boy!" comments. Or even worse, because my hair coloration is similar to the beibs I'd get "YOU LOOK LIKE JUSTIN BIEBER!" (when he was first starting out)

People can be real jerks.

goneJackal
October 20th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Well, there's the opposite, too.
Many people say I should cut my hair because it is too feminine.

Even a girl I was going out with. She hated my hair. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_arrepio.gif

lunalocks
October 20th, 2015, 07:11 PM
your hair does not look thin. does NOT. I would guess she is jealous.

Most often, the bad things people say about others is all about THEM. Do not let this disturb you. You have beautiful hair. And a lot thicker than mine!

Clarkie
October 20th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I guess these people never heard "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"
Why do people feel compelled to offer their unsolicited opinions???

humble_knight
October 20th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Because they can :( Because they know it can hurt the person they're aiming their comments at :(

Why can't people step in, or at least try and console the person who was verbally insulted?

irodaryne
October 20th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Well, there's the opposite, too.
Many people say I should cut my hair because it is too feminine.

Even a girl I was going out with. She hated my hair. http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_arrepio.gif

I am surprised that there are people who thing menfolk with long hair are unattractive. I mean geeze, men with long hair are sometimes more manly than men with short hair

Fericera
October 21st, 2015, 10:51 AM
I am surprised that there are people who thing menfolk with long hair are unattractive. I mean geeze, men with long hair sometimes more manly than men with short hair

I agree with this. When I see a guy with long hair I feel pretty safe assuming that he's comfortable enough with himself to ignore negative comments, which is a good sign, and also had the patience to stick it out while growing from very short hair (which can be a shaggy, discouraging mess as I know from experience). Being self assured and patient are good traits in a man (or any partner).

Suzysu
October 21st, 2015, 02:05 PM

Pure envy. If someone really thought your hair looked bad, they'd feel sorry for you and say nothing! She was jealous. Take a look at your hair - thick and very, very long!

Ingrid
October 21st, 2015, 03:26 PM
You could look at it this way - you're the one that gets to enjoy all that beautiful hair on your head, so it's not really relevant what someone else thinks about it! :flower:

yahirwaO.o
October 21st, 2015, 08:27 PM
I agree with this. When I see a guy with long hair I feel pretty safe assuming that he's comfortable enough with himself to ignore negative comments, which is a good sign, and also had the patience to stick it out while growing from very short hair (which can be a shaggy, discouraging mess as I know from experience). Being self assured and patient are good traits in a man (or any partner).

Completly agree. It takes some guts and attitude to grow long hair and not succumbing to some common close minds standards. A patient man is a great person.

Soulina
October 22nd, 2015, 01:01 AM
This has been eye opening thread for me.

I think OPīs hair is lovely, and the comment probably was not meant as insult, more of poor choice of words.

Also I think there is two kinds of thin hair

Damaged thin: Hair that is thin because of damage and looks that way. You can see clearly that if healthy the thickness would be much more.

Naturally thin: Healthy hair that is at its thickest but still considered thin. Looks healthy and to me kinda fairy like. Lively and light ;)

I have naturally thin hair and it has it positives. In no way its any less "worthy" than thick hair. I always dreamed of having super thick braid, but I have learned to love my hair the way it is. Instead of awesome warrior braid I can enjoy my hair going crazy in the wind (and take cool pictures of that :cool:)

Echileruwen
October 22nd, 2015, 01:26 AM
Sometimes people say things without thinking. Her comment was probably more thoughtless than mean. Try to put it out of your mind, it's not worth worrying about. You have nice hair.

Entangled
October 22nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
This has been eye opening thread for me.

I think OPīs hair is lovely, and the comment probably was not meant as insult, more of poor choice of words.

Also I think there is two kinds of thin hair

Damaged thin: Hair that is thin because of damage and looks that way. You can see clearly that if healthy the thickness would be much more.

Naturally thin: Healthy hair that is at its thickest but still considered thin. Looks healthy and to me kinda fairy like. Lively and light ;)

I have naturally thin hair and it has it positives. In no way its any less "worthy" than thick hair. I always dreamed of having super thick braid, but I have learned to love my hair the way it is. Instead of awesome warrior braid I can enjoy my hair going crazy in the wind (and take cool pictures of that :cool:)

Good points.