PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying then oil??

Eastbound&Down
October 1st, 2015, 10:44 AM
I've never clarified before but my hair feels kinda velcro-y so I'm thinking I need to but...I don't know what to use, what shampoo do I need to look for. Also, I don't know what to do after. Can I oil afterwards or is that counter-intuitive? I don't want to dry my hair out and possibly cause damage. Help?

parkmikii
October 1st, 2015, 11:04 AM
I've never actually clarified either before but are you using a sulfate shampoo? I find that the only crarifying shampoos that I find here are pretty expensive, for example the clarifying one by joico. If you aren't using sulfates then I guess you could try using them as a clarifying wash and then follow up with a deep moisturising conditioner or mask. Or you could try the rinse out oil method as I find that useful to combat the dryness too :)

gthlvrmx
October 1st, 2015, 11:28 AM
I use the Neutrogena anti residue shampoo for clarifying. Try an SMT after clarifying and then when you are done with all that, add oil on your damp hair to retain moisture in your hair. Adding oil after clarifying is fine :)

spidermom
October 1st, 2015, 11:37 AM
Both VO5 and Suave make clarifying formulas that work well for me, especially the VO5. I don't do anything special after clarifying, just condition with my usual conditioner and go back to my usual routine. Clarifying often makes my hair feel a lot smoother and silkier because it's the buildup that makes the hair feel dry. Get that off and hair feels good again.

Nique1202
October 1st, 2015, 11:49 AM
Lots of folks find that they need a little extra moisture on their length and ends after a clarifying wash, because the clarifying shampoo will strip out your excess buildup and the good protective stuff. The only suggestion I'd have if you want to use an oil is keep it below your ears unless you have a very dry scalp, same as with conditioner, and start with a single drop. If your scalp gets greasy between washes, then your scalp makes plenty of its own oil to restore balance to the hair above your earlobes.

As for clarifying shampoos, anything labelled with "clarifying" or "deep cleansing" on the bottle will do. Tresemme, Suave, and Pantene all definitely make clarifying shampoos. Pantene also makes one called Aqua Light which isn't quite clarifying but has very little in the way of extra ingredients, so it does the job for most people. There are probably clarifying shampoos in other drugstore brands too, but those are the most common ones I've heard of.

lapushka
October 1st, 2015, 11:50 AM
I've never clarified before but my hair feels kinda velcro-y so I'm thinking I need to but...I don't know what to use, what shampoo do I need to look for. Also, I don't know what to do after. Can I oil afterwards or is that counter-intuitive? I don't want to dry my hair out and possibly cause damage. Help?

A regular sulfate shampoo without silicones (like the Pantene volumizing one, or the Aqua Light) should be more than enough.

Eastbound&Down
October 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks for your responses! I'm going to go today and pick up a bottle. Between all the shedding I've had recently (I think it's pregnancy related) and the dry feeling my hair has had the last few days, I've been pretty discouraged. Hopefully this will correct it.

Stephanie
October 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM
The Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo is fantastic and I used that for years, but my favorite is Joico's Clarifying/Chelating shampoo. It's seriously unlike any other clarifier I've used and I highly recommend it. I would definitely oil (or deep condition and then oil as a leave in) afterwards.

lapushka
October 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM
Also, Pantene do a clarifying shampoo. I think there's a few versions of it out there, and one is the one to use, the other one not so much. Mine is in a clear bottle with a navy top.

meteor
October 1st, 2015, 03:19 PM
Yes, I think oiling and/or deep conditioning after clarifying is a good thing: it prevents excessive dryness, tangling and can help make the deep treatment more effective. Clarifying removes any build-up that could otherwise limit the effect from deep conditioning.
I like to do a modified SMT (conditioner + honey + oil) or protein treatment (gelatin + SMT + oil) for half an hour or so after clarifying, and then use an oil rinse or seal in moisture with LOC.

For clarifying shampoos, just check the label for things like: "clarifying", "deep cleanse", "weekly cleansing", etc.
Otherwise, any shampoo with a short list of ingredients, with SLS/SLES and other anionic surfactants, and without silicones or too many botanicals, oils, other conditioning ingredients should work as clarifying.
And if it has chelating agents like, for example, citric acid and EDTA high up on the ingredients list, then the shampoo is chelating, as well (but if these chelators are listed at the bottom, they are probably used only as pH-stabilizers, preservatives...)

Eastbound&Down
October 1st, 2015, 11:30 PM
Ok so I got some VO5 clarifying shampoo, it was the cheapest and I thought if I don't like it at least it was under a dollar. I also bought some Aussie 3 minute miracle which I've heard good things about. I washed throughly 2 times then piled on the Aussie for around 10-15 minutes while I finished up in the shower. It's currently up in a towel drying and I'll let it air dry tonight, hopefully this fixed my poor ends. Fingers crossed

gustavonut
October 1st, 2015, 11:35 PM
Good luck, let us know how it went! :couch:
I had no clue VO5 had a clarifying shampoo, huh. I have suave clarifying which seems to do the job for me, and like the 3MM DT it's pretty good. (:

Eastbound&Down
October 2nd, 2015, 09:03 AM
Ok, so this morning my hair feels good but it was super fluffy! So I put some coconut oil through it and then in my bun for the day. I'll check I tonight but I think it worked :)