PDA

View Full Version : Curlies with long hair: how do you keep definition and length?

CostaRita
September 30th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I posted a thread about me chopping my hair off, but I think I'm leaning more toward keeping it at BSL. How do you increase definition, frizz control, and get volume with long curly hair?

Groovy Granny
September 30th, 2015, 05:12 PM
IMHO your hair looks amazing!

But I do know how it feels when something about it makes you unhappy.

When the air is dry I have sleek hair, but when it is humid I have a curl explosion, and my fine silver can tend to frizz (though I don't have your lovely curls).

I do a modified 'curly girl' method; plopping...air drying or diffusing.

The curly girl method also talks about clipping the roots to get some lift as it dries (haven't tried that)

My hair needs more moisture so I use Joico Moisture S&C on the length, and Shea Moisture raw Butter S&C on the ends.
It doesn't like gels so I use a spritz of Shea Elixir (sprayed on hands them worked into the ends) in Winter to tame flyaways.

In the Summer I often spritze with Rosewater and Glycerin and then scrunch the ends.

Damp bunning also tames the frizz and adds more defined curls for me; just 1 hour up will do it.

I hope just a tweak of you layers or a new technique boosts your spirits; it would be a shame to see you lose all that beauty.... but do what makes YOU happy :blossom:

Chocowalnut
September 30th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I also have alot more curl with humidity. As my hair gets longer though it's becoming more wavy than curly. I agree with plopping and also scrunching the hair with a nice curl cream of some sort. I think layers also give curly hair more volume and shape as it gets longer, but those are a personal preference.

Beborani
September 30th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Well this a problem I have been struggling with lately. I got a good curl day this week which I posted in my blog (click on it from my profile) for my reference when I get frustrated. It takes a bit of effort but doable for special occasions. The only thing I did more zealously than usual was diffusing with dryer starting with sopping wet hair with products I normally use. Like you I was ready to chop off a few inches but after I tried this I have decided not to as I know I have this option.

CostaRita
September 30th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Does diffusing help? I'm heat-free.

DollyDagger
September 30th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Finding the right products and the right technique in order to get your curls to their maximized curliness potential takes some experimenting.
If you haven't checked out the curly girl method already I would start there.

Some quick tips to get extra volume you could blowdry your roots upside down with a diffuser (pixiecurl diffuser method) or conversely when air-drying you can try "clipping roots method ".

The most important steps in my routine for maximum curls and good curl clumping (with the right products which you;ll have to experiment with)

1) final rinse with head upside-coolest water possible
2) applying product also with head upside down by smoothing it in ( as oppose to raking or scrunching ) and making sure its applied to soaking wet hair
3) ploppping and folding curls like an accordian into a t-shirt or micro fiber turban towel

YMMV as is always the case

Some you tubers with great tips you can check out would be:

polished curl
curly penny
waterlily 716
curly kat marie
shalimarcat
They all have videos showing detailed routines :)

HTH
p.s.- diffusing with warm heat and only a little like maybe 50-75% (not to 100% dryness) is fine and really helps with getting height and volume :)

Beborani
September 30th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Does diffusing help? I'm heat-free..

I don't worry too much about heat like some others here. My hair is approaching classic and I have not shied away from using heat--just to hasten drying in winter or diffusing for definition. Yes, diffusing really helps.

CostaRita
September 30th, 2015, 08:31 PM
What is classic length? Mid-back?

Brunette_Barbie
September 30th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I wash/condition my hair once a week and mostly keep my hair in twin braids. I am now starting to finger comb and I use a detangler made from water and olive oil. I have reached my terminal of waist length.

kitschy
September 30th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I had the same worry as you. I lost curl and definition as my hair reached tailbone length. I couldn't get my curls to behave as they did at shorter lengths .... so I cut it back to waist and it really didn't help. Then I cut in new layers, but it left my longest layer stringy and thin. I ended up cutting back to shoulder for the sake of curls.

I'm going to tell you this truthfully, and it isn't meant to hurt any feelings, but I don't believe curls will be as spectacular at longer length. BUT honestly, what is more fantastic than a head of long, really long curls. Choose one; Perfect curls or long length. I wish I had been more forgiving of my curls when they were long. Now I look at old pictures and am really mad at myself for setting a standard that didn't really need to be met. It is your hair, and your curls - just enjoy!

kganihanova
September 30th, 2015, 09:54 PM
It's bottom of butt

Beborani
October 1st, 2015, 12:52 AM
It's bottom of butt

Yes though I must add that is measured stretched, otherwise it is between hip and tailbone. That said, I saw your other thread about cutting--if you are going to cut it short then heat damage should be less of a concern. I will suggest trying various styling methods suggested here, one by one--your curl pattern is strong, something should work at your length.

AutobotsAttack
October 1st, 2015, 02:50 AM
Rinsing with ice cold water after conditioning is really good for closing the cuticle of the hair shaft and helping with shine and tamining frizzies

Wildcat Diva
October 1st, 2015, 09:58 AM
My hair is past hip and it just seems to keep the wave/curl if I moisturize and style it right after washing. I wear my hair bunned most of the time so I am not worried about keeping curl for most of my week as a longhair.

enting
October 17th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'm still working on the frizz control, so I may not be of any help there. As far as length and definition, long layers might help. The underlayers would be longer and perhaps have slightly less curl due to weight, but the canopy layer would be shorter and less weighed down, giving the appearance of both length and defined curl. I don't have layers, but I sometimes do a half-up which brings the top layer up by a few inches. Since my hair is curliest at the bottom few inches, this gives the appearance of more defined curls for more of my length, as the bottom few curliest inches of both the canopy hairs and the nape hairs are visible. It basically gives the effect of having long layers.

gthlvrmx
October 17th, 2015, 04:04 PM

Classic length is where your butt meets yours thighs. It's that line there. Mid back is the middle of your back so I guess between buttcrack length and from your shoulders/neck.

Wildcat Diva
October 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM

I don't worry too much about heat like some others here. My hair is approaching classic and I have not shied away from using heat--just to hasten drying in winter or diffusing for definition. Yes, diffusing really helps.

I was wondering how long of arms you would need to diffuse classic hair? I do have long monkey arms so I might be ok.