PDA

View Full Version : Calling all wavy haired ladies and gents

xoAshley
September 30th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Do you prefer to keep your wavy mane all one length or layered and why?:o

Sarahlabyrinth
September 30th, 2015, 01:59 PM
That's me! I prefer all one length because I like my ends to look as thick as possible. Also, having all one length make it easier to do buns without stray bits of hair poking out everywhere.

lapushka
September 30th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I like it layered, because my hair is thick. I experienced issues from weightiness at waist. I am now classic, layered and experience no weightiness.

Anje
September 30th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Mine's barely wavy, but I attempt to trim to all one length. My hair isn't terribly thick and the ends are downright thin. Layering them would just thin them out more.

Groovy Granny
September 30th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I got rid of the last of my layers in the Spring and am happier with a thicker hemline, no wispies poking out of my buns/braids, and with my fine silver....the length has not affected my wurls at all :thumbsup:

xoAshley
September 30th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I'm just barely at waist length right now, and I have long layers.... They are nice some of the time, but especially annoying when doing any sort of updo, especially braids! (Ugh, nothing more annoying than bits poking out everywhere). I'm considering growing out the layers and eventually maintaining all one length... it might also be nicer to have a thicker hemline as well.. Not sure yet though. I just wanted to see what others preferred. :)

jera
September 30th, 2015, 03:01 PM
I'm all for keeping it one length also. It looks better and is easier to handle.

meteor
September 30th, 2015, 03:09 PM
For me, it really depends. :)

I like layers on me in these situations:
- wearing hair down (it looks thicker, more textured, the shape and ends are pretty);
- enhanced wavy texture, more volume and more movement;
- freshly cut ends (but as layers start growing out, they start looking uneven or scraggly very fast on me);
- really excellent stylist who chose the right layering technique (cutting straight across is easy and one-size-fits-all, but layering is a bit of an art);
- drying hair (layering really thins the mane so the hair takes *a lot* less time to dry);
- lighter weight of hair.

And I like blunt cuts on me in these situations:
- braids are smoother and taperless, without so many ends sticking out;
- buns are smoother and don't have layers sticking out;
- in case I'm going to a new hairdresser I don't know (it's easier/safer to just ask for a standard straight-across trim);
- growing out hair without trims or with very few trims (I find it's easier with blunt cuts rather than more "porcupine"-like structures with ends exposed and growing at different rates);
- going for the "blanket"/"curtain" effect: straighter, smoother, less frizz-prone look (but at the same time, less volume, less curl/wave and less movement);
- going for less/no styling (in my case, straight-across cuts are more forgiving and a better match for my benign neglect approach).

cat11
September 30th, 2015, 03:11 PM
That's me! I prefer all one length because I like my ends to look as thick as possible. Also, having all one length make it easier to do buns without stray bits of hair poking out everywhere.

This exactly! I just like how it looks too. It also makes it easier to comb I think since you only have one set of ends. As I grew out my layers they caused tons of tangles. Not to mention making ugly braids with more taper. And it's easy to maintain yourself.

I seem to be the odd one out with my thickness though. I prefer to use other methods to deal with weight.

Nique1202
September 30th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I have layers but I'm trying to trim them out slowly, because of braid shred and taper. I can't stand going from a wrist-thick braid near my head to the elastic only being as big around as my little finger, and as the layers wriggle their slippery selves free I end up with a braid that looks like a cheap Rapunzel wig rather than a braid at all. I'm willing to sacrifice some of my wurl pattern to the weight at ultra-long milestones for the sake of being able to braid my hair neatly to protect it even when I want to show off the length.

Robi-Bird
September 30th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Getting layers put in is actually what lightened my mass enough to have the waves come out pre-layers I thought I had straight hair and only started thinking otherwise after.

momschicklets
September 30th, 2015, 03:55 PM
When I cut my hair to chin, I had lotsa lotsa layers put in, so my hair has grown out with them. I'm now about 2 inches from BSL and I notice the layers give my hair bounce, shape and movement and my waves get to play a little more :hollie: I like it ;) They are long layers though...not too short. And my hair has the thickness to pull it off for now.

turtlelover
September 30th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I like my layers when my hair is DOWN at APL since I think the layers frame my face more nicely than a blunt cut, but despise trying to braid or updos w/ the layers since there are always stray hair or braid shred. I am going to grow to BSL with the layers, I think, but I am not sure how I'll feel when my hair gets longer than that.

AutobotsAttack
September 30th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Well my hair is growing out, and its growing out in layers, but the upper parts are starting to catch up with the bottom hairs.

Sallyanna
September 30th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Currently long layers. For braids and plaits its a total pain. But at the same time, my hair is pretty thick and it helps make it lighter.

Pearly~91
September 30th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Ideally, I think that I would like a blunt hemline best, but I have long layers (the last 4 or 5 inches.) I think that lots of styles would be easier with a blunt hemline, braids especially, but some buns too. I couldn't do a real cinnabun until I was almost at hip because my layers would pop out all over the place and my hair is super slippery. (I still struggle with a lot of buns that would be way easier if all my hair was the same length.) Also, self-trimming and getting fresh ends on all the hair is much easier with a blunt hemline, in my opinion.

I have layers, for no other reason than the fact that I started growing from a super short layered cut and just didn't want to maintain at a length or chop off length get a blunt hemline. I did do some micro-trimming after I hit waist, because I was going to get rid of the layers, but by the time they were almost even my canopy was just too damaged and I cut layers back in because I needed fresh ends and didn't want to loose the length.

However, I do think my hair looks better when it's down with layers. I don't have an orderly wave pattern. All the waves have different lengths and go in different directions. If I had a blunt hemline I think it would look strange, especially if it was straight across.

Now I'm thinking I'll stop trimming and just go to S&Ds and let the ends fairytale.

spidermom
September 30th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Do I have to choose one? I like both. I think my hair flows better with layers. Without layers, it reminded me of a cape or broom - little bitty head at the top, great big wide sweep of hair at the bottom. No bueno!

AZDesertRose
September 30th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Mine isn't super wavy but I like a blunt hemline because I wear it up the overwhelming majority of the time, and it's easier for updos.

BranwenWolf
September 30th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I'm wurly...that is, my hair is naturally curly when short and wavy when long. I had to get layers when chopping out a henndigo incident (long story, it's detailed elsewhere on this forum) and I'm slowly growing them out, because when wurly hair is in layers, in a humid climate, my hair expands outwards, and no oils or serums or glosses will get it to lay down.

ReadingRenee
October 1st, 2015, 07:14 AM
I think it depends on your hair thickness and what you like. I don't have super thick hair and layers always look great when I first get them cut in but then they grow out thin and straggly. My hemline looks terrible to me and it has been the cause of me cutting my hair off when I really probably didn't need to, in an effort to get rid of the thin ends. I think my waves are a little more pronounced with layers but I rarely wear my hair down and wavy so that is not too much of a factor for me. I am also a wavy who brushes, so that makes a difference too. :)

Arctic
October 1st, 2015, 07:23 AM
My hair is less wavy than it was some years ago, but I like mine layered a bit on shorter lengths; but not so much that I would lose the thick looking hemline. When my hair will grow longer I am likely to grow out layers (other than some face framing ones) just to get as thick as possible hemline. If you count hemline shaping as layers too, then it's the opposite from what I just wrote: on shorter lengths I like straight hem, but on longer lengths I like Us and Vs (on short bob I like an A-line cut). And ofcourse if we are talking about very short, pixie, layers are unavoidable unless one wants a bowl cut).

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 07:28 AM
This exactly! I just like how it looks too. It also makes it easier to comb I think since you only have one set of ends. As I grew out my layers they caused tons of tangles. Not to mention making ugly braids with more taper. And it's easy to maintain yourself.

I seem to be the odd one out with my thickness though. I prefer to use other methods to deal with weight.

What methods do you use for weight, cat? :)

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 07:29 AM
For me, it really depends. :)

I like layers on me in these situations:
- wearing hair down (it looks thicker, more textured, the shape and ends are pretty);
- enhanced wavy texture, more volume and more movement;
- freshly cut ends (but as layers start growing out, they start looking uneven or scraggly very fast on me);
- really excellent stylist who chose the right layering technique (cutting straight across is easy and one-size-fits-all, but layering is a bit of an art);
- drying hair (layering really thins the mane so the hair takes *a lot* less time to dry);
- lighter weight of hair.

And I like blunt cuts on me in these situations:
- braids are smoother and taperless, without so many ends sticking out;
- buns are smoother and don't have layers sticking out;
- in case I'm going to a new hairdresser I don't know (it's easier/safer to just ask for a standard straight-across trim);
- growing out hair without trims or with very few trims (I find it's easier with blunt cuts rather than more "porcupine"-like structures with ends exposed and growing at different rates);
- going for the "blanket"/"curtain" effect: straighter, smoother, less frizz-prone look (but at the same time, less volume, less curl/wave and less movement);
- going for less/no styling (in my case, straight-across cuts are more forgiving and a better match for my benign neglect approach).

GREAT points for both sides. :thumbsup:

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 07:30 AM
I have layers but I'm trying to trim them out slowly, because of braid shred and taper. I can't stand going from a wrist-thick braid near my head to the elastic only being as big around as my little finger, and as the layers wriggle their slippery selves free I end up with a braid that looks like a cheap Rapunzel wig rather than a braid at all. I'm willing to sacrifice some of my wurl pattern to the weight at ultra-long milestones for the sake of being able to braid my hair neatly to protect it even when I want to show off the length.

This is pretty much my thought process right now. I love the movement and texture the layers give my hair, but despise the taper and ends sticking out when braiding, etc. It's a love/hate relationship!

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 07:43 AM
My hair is less wavy than it was some years ago, but I like mine layered a bit on shorter lengths; but not so much that I would lose the thick looking hemline. When my hair will grow longer I am likely to grow out layers (other than some face framing ones) just to get as thick as possible hemline. If you count hemline shaping as layers too, then it's the opposite from what I just wrote: on shorter lengths I like straight hem, but on longer lengths I like Us and Vs (on short bob I like an A-line cut). And ofcourse if we are talking about very short, pixie, layers are unavoidable unless one wants a bowl cut).

Artic, do you mean you are planning to have your hair all one length, and then just add a few shorter pieces in the front to frame the face? I like the sound of that, but can't quite picture it... not sure I've seen that before :ponder:. I feel like I usually see all layers, or all one length, never just all one length with a few face framing pieces... if that is what you mean, do you have any sample internet pics of this style by chance?

Stray_mind
October 1st, 2015, 07:43 AM
I prefer all one lenght. My wave pattern is very inconsistent and my hair is not that thick, so layered haircut wouldn't look that good.

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 07:44 AM
*Arctic

Excuse me :o

Arctic
October 1st, 2015, 07:52 AM
Artic, do you mean you are planning to have your hair all one length, and then just add a few shorter pieces in the front to frame the face? I like the sound of that, but can't quite picture it... not sure I've seen that before :ponder:. I feel like I usually see all layers, or all one length, never just all one length with a few face framing pieces... if that is what you mean, do you have any sample internet pics of this style by chance?

Hi, yes, that's how I plan it now, lets see how it works out when I actually do get longer hair. Sorry I don't have time to search for pictures now. I like my face framing layers to be on the thinner side (because I don't have thick hair), they would be sectioned from the top/front of my hair, and they would hit my face at cheekbones/jaw-ish area. They would be angled/tapered.

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 07:57 AM
Hi, yes, that's how I plan it now, lets see how it works out when I actually do get longer hair. Sorry I don't have time to search for pictures now. I like my face framing layers to be on the thinner side (because I don't have thick hair), they would be sectioned from the top/front of my hair, and they would hit my face at cheekbones/jaw-ish area. They would be angled/tapered.

Ohh! I think I understand now... so they would start at jaw-ish area, then tapper down to meet the length of the rest of the hair?

DreamSheep
October 1st, 2015, 08:05 AM
I think meteor has covered it perfectly! :-)

Mine is layered, but I wouldn't mind slowly trimming them out (so slowly that I'm not trimming any time soon... I am more likely to eventually do a sort of "big chop out of layers" in 2-3 years when I finish my PhD or something like that, than microtrim).

I think layers add a lot more movement and dimension - I feel my hair might just hang more at one length (but I haven't seen it one length beyond APL). It would also be a lot heavier and I may not be able to make a lot of the buns I can do right now due to the additional thickness. I also quite like the taper it gives to braids and their tassels, but to be honest I'm less bothered either way in this case.

Personally I don't think I'd cut or refresh my layers any time soon (they go from APL down to TBL) - I like them, but I am interested in eventually growing them out. If I prefer them, I could always get them cut in again. :)

Arctic
October 1st, 2015, 08:11 AM
I don't have the thickness to let the face framing layers to taper down to meet the rest of the length, if I imagine this the same way you would. And I don't like "neck framing" layers. Maybe think thin outgrown bangs (not the Kate Middleton type but thinner and nicely angled) that is shaped flatteringly to frame the face :face:

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 08:13 AM
I think meteor has covered it perfectly! :-)

Mine is layered, but I wouldn't mind slowly trimming them out (so slowly that I'm not trimming any time soon... I am more likely to eventually do a sort of "big chop out of layers" in 2-3 years when I finish my PhD or something like that, than microtrim).

I think layers add a lot more movement and dimension - I feel my hair might just hang more at one length (but I haven't seen it one length beyond APL). It would also be a lot heavier and I may not be able to make a lot of the buns I can do right now due to the additional thickness. I also quite like the taper it gives to braids and their tassels, but to be honest I'm less bothered either way in this case.

Personally I don't think I'd cut or refresh my layers any time soon (they go from APL down to TBL) - I like them, but I am interested in eventually growing them out. If I prefer them, I could always get them cut in again. :)

Dreamsheep, every time I see your locks it makes me want to KEEP my layers. :thudpile: So prettyyyy!

It's definitely a hard decision, like Meteor said, both sides have their pros and cons... I'm definitely keeping my hair the way it is until I reach my goal length, but then I'll need to decide whether to grow out the layers or keep trimming them to maintain them.... I guess we'll see how I feel when I get there.

DreamSheep
October 1st, 2015, 08:15 AM
Dreamsheep, every time I see your locks it makes me want to KEEP my layers. :thudpile: So prettyyyy!

It's definitely a hard decision, like Meteor said, both sides have their pros and cons... I'm definitely keeping my hair the way it is until I reach my goal length, but then I'll need to decide whether to grow out the layers or keep trimming them to maintain them.... I guess we'll see how I feel when I get there.

Aww, that's so sweet of you! :-)

I think letting it grow is usually a good plan. If the layers bother you, you could then trim them out one by one. Last Christmas I did trim out my longest layer (which was very thin and tatty and would probably be invisibly past classic had I not touched it) - but kept the rest. :) So you could do it gradually.

ETA: Also I do think layers confer more movement to wavy hair and can help blur out an imperfect hemline, because the waves don't end up facing downwards but towards one side or the other. I quite like the look of that movement :)

xoAshley
October 1st, 2015, 08:15 AM
I don't have the thickness to let the face framing layers to taper down to meet the rest of the length, if I imagine this the same way you would. And I don't like "neck framing" layers. Maybe think thin outgrown bangs (not the Kate Middleton type but thinner and nicely angled) that is shaped flatteringly to frame the face :face:

Okay, NOW I fully understand. Geesh, that took me a minute, huh? :D I like that idea, just a few wispy pieces framing the face area... hmmm.. I am going to keep this in mind! :)

Eastbound&Down
October 1st, 2015, 08:16 AM
I have layers that I absolutely love! I love the movement it gives my hair. When it's all one length, I feel like it just hangs there like a mop. My shortest layer is now just below SL and goes in long layers from there.

queenbee1
October 1st, 2015, 08:31 AM
I get my hair cut into layers every other year and then grow them out and micro trim until eventually there are no layers left :D it's a cycle but i love it, gives me best of both worlds :D

Madora
October 1st, 2015, 02:13 PM
Personally, all one length (or thereabouts) hair is easier to style in updos because you're not always fighting stray whispies escaping from the style.

ravenreed
October 1st, 2015, 02:26 PM
Very wavy here. When my hair was shorter, I always had to have layers or I would get helmet hair. I still prefer layers, even though this is no longer an issue. I will put up with braid shred for a more aesthetically pleasing hemline when I wear my hair down. I just leave a longer tassel when I do wear a braid.

ETA: I will always have mad wispies anyway, so might as well make it look intentional.

lapushka
October 1st, 2015, 02:37 PM
I almost never wear braids, so it really is okay with me, the layers I mean. A side braid with a long tassel is the most I do, so for that it's ideal.

ravenreed
October 1st, 2015, 02:46 PM
That always looks like a wall of hair to me. Some people like that effect, I am sure. I am not keen on it, personally.

Do I have to choose one? I like both. I think my hair flows better with layers. Without layers, it reminded me of a cape or broom - little bitty head at the top, great big wide sweep of hair at the bottom. No bueno!

rhosyn_du
October 1st, 2015, 06:14 PM
For me, it depends on the length of my hair. Above the shoulders, I like it layered so I get bouncy curls. Shoulders to between BSL and waist, I like it all one length for ease of updos. Longer than that, and I like layers in just the last few inches, because it gives me nice ringlets at the ends when I wear my hair down, and I can tuck all of the layered ends underneath my bun so they don't stick out when my hair is up.

xoAshley
October 2nd, 2015, 06:33 AM
For me, it depends on the length of my hair. Above the shoulders, I like it layered so I get bouncy curls. Shoulders to between BSL and waist, I like it all one length for ease of updos. Longer than that, and I like layers in just the last few inches, because it gives me nice ringlets at the ends when I wear my hair down, and I can tuck all of the layered ends underneath my bun so they don't stick out when my hair is up.

I like this idea too. Just very long layers near the bottom to give it a little more definition, but not enough to mess up braids or up-dos terribly.

cat11
October 2nd, 2015, 03:08 PM
What methods do you use for weight, cat? :)

Sectioning buns and also just learning which hair toys cause tension for me and which don't. With ponytails I realized I just have to do them with a flexi or a tightly would ribbon or it will pull. So for me it's been adjusting my strategy for the same style.

maskedrose
October 2nd, 2015, 09:17 PM
I've found that at lengths shorter than waist, I need layers to keep the triangle head effect at bay. At hip+, all one length works better, both for aesthetic and functional reasons. I'm currently growing out my layers (once again, sigh), because also at hip layers thin out my hem more than I'd like, and I also think that hip and longer is when my natural wave pattern starts to shine without layers.

ravenheather
October 3rd, 2015, 08:22 AM
For me fairytale ends = natural layers.:D

reilly0167
October 6th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I prefer long layers (I trim my own hair and I trim very little)..otherwise with my hair I have that pyramid shape look...looking like weird Al lol