PDA

View Full Version : Job Updos? Help!

AmberJewel
September 28th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I'm starting a new job soon at a Nursing Home where I will need to keep my hair up all the time. I usually have it in a braid at least, but I'd prefer more protection once I start working again. Any ideas on comfortable updos that won't look too terrible and can be left up all day long would be much apprectiated!

sarahthegemini
September 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM
A cinnabun secured with a beak clip (the only updo I can manage!)

Eta: How are you with spin pins?

meteor
September 28th, 2015, 05:05 PM
You could just bun the braid that you normally wear: in a braided cinnabun fashion, or a braided LWB or nautilus. Even if the updo unravels (which is less likely when it starts from the braided base), you can always just pin the braid back up. ;)

I find that simplified Ellingwoman bun and Pan's comfortable work updo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9W-kbWPSfQ) are easy and hold like a rock all day. HTH! :flower: And congrats on the new job! :cheer:

Groovy Granny
September 28th, 2015, 05:26 PM
How about a flipped braid secured with a clip or barrette?
I wore that with my WL hair as a nurse's aid in a Nursing Home in High School ....and then as a Nurse in the hospital back in the 70's ;)
Good luck with your new job!

cat11
September 28th, 2015, 05:33 PM
I usually wear a solid bun for work that I won't have to mess with. Cinnabuns don't work right now for me anymore so I do either a lazy wrap bun, nautilus, or a disc bun

yogagirl
September 28th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I also vote for spin pins, practically invisible and great hold for many people. Braided bun secured with spin pins would be doubly secure.

gthlvrmx
September 28th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Braided buns with spin pins are good! There are also mini spin pins if you have thinner hair to hold the bun that way the pin won't show.

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Once I mastered a disc bun (took me a bit), I find they hold really well as long as my thick ridiculous hair doesn't spit out the fork (which I'm told is a hazard with thick hair in a disc bun).

Braided buns should hold well, too, and if you don't have nine zillion wispies like I do, should look nice and professional.

Congrats on the new job!

KittyBird
September 28th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I work in a nursing home too (when I'm not studying), and I usually do a disc bun with a flexi-8 or twist my hair up and clip it with two large ficcares. Both updos are rock solid and would never fall down, at least not on me. :)

Kome
September 28th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Youtube is your friend. I just looked up "hairstyles for short hair" on Google and some videos of bun tutorials came up. I recommend something similar. There were some pretty designs. :)

sumidha
September 29th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Cinnabun held with spin pins or amish pins. I was a nursing assistant for five years. :)

Nique1202
September 29th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Cinnabun with spin pins, nautilus or lazy wrap or disc bun, heidi braids or, if your hair is long enough, a double coronet/fake crown braid (two braids at the back, wrapped around and pinned like a crown braid). I've worn heidi braids for 3 days (and the 2 nights in between!) before they started looking ragged from my layers, if you want minimal maintenance on your hairstyles.

animetor7
September 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I really like Heidi Braids for getting hair all up and out of the way. You just take two braids and pin them across your head. It looks nice and doesn't budge all day. I see others have already suggested this too. Haha, oops.

AmberJewel
October 1st, 2015, 10:26 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies everybody! I really need to get some of these spin pins everyone likes so much. In the meantime though, I'll probably just stick with a braided bun held with four little plastic clips. It seems to work pretty well and doesn't give me a headache. I like the idea of Heidi braids too. Thanks again!
:flowers:

KellieKay
October 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
sock bun and french twist are what I rely on.

yahirwaO.o
October 1st, 2015, 05:30 PM
I think a braided chinese bun is great in terms of having a super sturdy but also comfortable updo. You only need a stick and maybe some pins.

AmberJewel
October 3rd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Hmm... So many of these updo ideas I've heard of, but never tried. Clearly I need to extend my repertoire. :) Off to YOUTUBE!!