PDA

View Full Version : Length of Shed Hairs

DollyDagger
September 28th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Hey Everyone,

Shedding season seems to be upon us (or alot of us at least)

So when you are shedding:

What lengths are the majority of your shed hairs in comparison to your full length?

Mostly longer hairs

Medium hairs

Shorter hairs

Also if anyone knows the answer...why do shorter hairs shed if they've only started growing not so long ago? What the follicle's goin on...lol!!

Thanks for sharing~
Dollydagger :sun:

lapushka
September 28th, 2015, 02:57 PM
What lengths are the majority of your shed hairs in comparison to your full length?

Mostly longer hairs

Medium hairs

Shorter hairs

Mostly longer hairs. I never notice anything else, TBH. Except for my breakage a while ago!

cathair
September 28th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Mostly long hairs. Probably a foot and a half long or something, I haven't measured them. Sometimes it still surprises me how long they are. Shower tubble weed is getting big lol

meteor
September 28th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Most of my shed hairs are definitely long, but they are shorter than or just as long as my hemline, of course. :)
I also definitely get those super short, fine hairs (probably from around the temple area or hairline/nape areas).

Also if anyone knows the answer...why do shorter hairs shed if they've only started growing not so long ago? What the follicle's goin on...lol!!
We have hair all over our bodies (except lips, palms, soles of feet) but some hairs are meant to grow to much longer lengths than others as they have longer anagen phase than others, it's genetic.
I think some strands on the scalp, too, have shorter terminal length than others, which is why some nape/hairline hair strands always look shorter, no matter how much one babies them. (But of course, it's important to avoid breakage, and those hairline strands are exposed to the elements more than others.) For each individual strand, once its active growth (anagen) stage is over (and terminal length is achieved), catagen and telogen stages follow, and the hair sheds. The longer the hair stays in the anagen phase, the longer it will grow. I don't think it's possible to change that, I think it's driven by the genes, but other things can interfere, as well, IMHO... I'm not sure about any other factors, but severe health stress, medication can interfere with the hair growth cycle, and alopecia can cause a follicle to prematurely leave the anagen phase and enter the resting (telogen) phase.

Seventy7
September 28th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I do get all the lengths when I look at my shed hairs after detangling. I am quite amazed how long my long sheds are becoming. It's good to see my hair is getting longer.
Most sheds are long, they would have been part of the hemline, some are medium and a few are short, like a few inches.
These short hairs mostly have a bulb at one end and a good taper at the other.
I do have enough wispies around my hairline, so I suspect these short ones come from there and just don't grow any further.
It's a pity, but well..

jera
September 28th, 2015, 03:59 PM
My shedded hairs are the longest 2' or more, but I do lose a few medium length ones which could be the long ones breaking somewhere along the shaft? Check the tip for the bulb and then check for breakage along the shaft to be sure you're really losing short ones. They may be long ones that broke.

Robi-Bird
September 28th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Mostly long. Occasionally I should d fringe hairs.

DollyDagger
September 28th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks lapushka, cathair, seventy7 jera robi-bird :heart::bluesmile-
Those must be some spectacularly long sheds gals! ...:) lol @ tumbleweed cathair
jera-Ive checked to make sure its not breakage and theres always a little root bulb so that's good I guess :)

We have hair all over our bodies (except lips, palms, soles of feet) but some hairs are meant to grow to much longer lengths than others as they have longer anagen phase than others, it's genetic.
I think some strands on the scalp, too, have shorter terminal length than others, which is why some nape/hairline hair strands always look shorter, no matter how much one babies them. (But of course, it's important to avoid breakage, and those hairline strands are exposed to the elements more than others.) For each individual strand, once its active growth (anagen) stage is over (and terminal length is achieved), catagen and telogen stages follow, and the hair sheds. The longer the hair stays in the anagen phase, the longer it will grow. I don't think it's possible to change that, I think it's driven by the genes, but other things can interfere, as well, IMHO... I'm not sure about any other factors, but severe health stress, medication can interfere with the hair growth cycle, and alopecia can cause a follicle to prematurely leave the anagen phase and enter the resting (telogen) phase.
meteor :flower: thanks particularly for the extra question answer. I shed all lengths which got me wondering..I do have alot of wispies though so maybe (like seventy7 mentioned) thats where the shorter ones are coming from.

trolleypup
September 28th, 2015, 07:11 PM
All lengths. Which makes sense as I am around terminal...different hairs have different terminal lengths, so out them come, all random. My very longest sheds are 48+ inches...so at my growth rate a bit more than 8 years old.

Hairkay
September 28th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Mine are mostly my longer hairs though there is some medium ones and little ones from nape and front wispy area.

dancingfrog
September 28th, 2015, 07:22 PM
My sheds seem to be all long ones. If I shed shorter ones, I'm not finding them!

spidermom
September 29th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I pay very little attention to shed hairs, but I have noticed that I shed very short hairs from time to time. My theory is that they stay short because they're responsible for lofting my hair when when I get that hair standing on end reaction. They may also loft my hair to create more insulation in cold weather. All mammals have this, I do believe.

DollyDagger
September 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I pay very little attention to shed hairs, but I have noticed that I shed very short hairs from time to time. My theory is that they stay short because they're responsible for lofting my hair when when I get that hair standing on end reaction. They may also loft my hair to create more insulation in cold weather. All mammals have this, I do believe.
Thanks spidermom That theory makes sense. Generally my total shedding amount isnt very much at all (even with the recent seasonal increase) but I can't help but notice that it's not the longer hairs but more medium and short..so it had me wondering.

DollyDagger
September 29th, 2015, 11:26 AM
All lengths. Which makes sense as I am around terminal...different hairs have different terminal lengths, so out them come, all random. My very longest sheds are 48+ inches...so at my growth rate a bit more than 8 years old.
In a couple of years and a few months if you continued on track..your sheds would be as tall as me..lol !

spidermom
September 29th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I'm shedding everything lately. I generally shed more at this time of year, but I'm also 3 months following one of the most stressful times I can remember - coming from Washington state to Ohio to visit my father, finding him down, waiting while he died in hospice, then being stuck in Ohio for the probate process. I keep checking to see if the length is thinning, but so far I don't see it.

sarahthegemini
September 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I've noticed a lot of long ones (well, long to me :p) The same length as my hemline, but I also see medium length ones. All the short ones I see are breakage. My hair is stupidly fragile so it doesn't take much to break!

yahirwaO.o
September 29th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Pretty much all sizes. Usually long and medium are the most noticiale, but I notice shorter ones on my pillow when I wake up. Though they were breakage but they have the little white bulb thing, so its just natural shedding. :cool: