PDA

View Full Version : White dot help!

Shibe
September 28th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I got a much needed trim the other day and i loved seeing my formally white dot covered ends be dot free!

I wear a silk cover over my hair at night and I noticed that even wearing a silk cover my hair gets white dots..from sleeping :-/

Is there anything I can do to help my hair from breaking? I am thinking of coating them in coconut oil to give them more of a protective barrier but I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I keep my hair up during the day so sleep is the only possible time my hair can get bent in such a way. Ugh.

gthlvrmx
September 28th, 2015, 12:24 PM
It might not be completely silk. It could also be a weaving style that feels rougher. Did the tag on it say anything else like polyester? Or sis the bag it came in say something else?

Shibe
September 28th, 2015, 12:28 PM
There is no tag, it was gifted so I took their word for it. Maybe I should buy a new one at this point.

lapushka
September 28th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Are these dots up the strand, or at the end; at the end is not a "real" aka "damage" white dot and usually comes from dull shears.

luxurioushair
September 28th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Do you braid it before bed? Might help, and you can ditch the silk cover too and just use a silk pillowcase.

cathair
September 28th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Are you growing out any kind of damage? Mine tend to turn into white dots on the longest ends. I suspect it's because I a growing out straightener damage from many years ago though, not because my scissors are blunt. It doesn't happen higher up on shorter hairs.

gthlvrmx
September 28th, 2015, 08:27 PM
There is no tag, it was gifted so I took their word for it. Maybe I should buy a new one at this point.

There are also silk pillowcases you can buy. I got mine here: http://www.dharmatrading.com/clothing/silk-charmeuse-pillowcase.html
They might have other silk things to look at on that website too.
You also might have previous damage that never got cut out, more than what you trimmed off. Have you heat styled or used some sort of chemical dye on your hair before?

Shibe
September 29th, 2015, 09:04 PM
My hair is virgin, I have only heat styled it once and that was 3 weeks ago. As I stated, I recently trimmed off 2 inches with a brand new pair of goody scissors- I don't use dye or any chemicals. I do have white dots that are at the end and some that are about a cm above that.

lapushka
September 30th, 2015, 08:27 AM
My hair is virgin, I have only heat styled it once and that was 3 weeks ago. As I stated, I recently trimmed off 2 inches with a brand new pair of goody scissors- I don't use dye or any chemicals. I do have white dots that are at the end and some that are about a cm above that.

I'm really sorry to have to say it, but if that heat styling was with straighteners or a curling iron, it is enough, yes once is enough to get you lots of white dots (and I mean the dots *along* a strand). The white dots at the end are no damage (sometimes a hair just looks like that, but if it's on there in masses it's usually dull scissors).

xoAshley
September 30th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I'm really sorry to have to say it, but if that heat styling was with straighteners or a curling iron, it is enough, yes once is enough to get you lots of white dots (and I mean the dots *along* a strand). The white dots at the end are no damage (sometimes a hair just looks like that, but if it's on there in masses it's usually dull scissors).

Ohhh wait, really?? I always thought the white dots at the end of hair were the very *beginning* stages of a split end. So there is no need to trim the ones on the ends?

lapushka
September 30th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Ohhh wait, really?? I always thought the white dots at the end of hair were the very *beginning* stages of a split end. So there is no need to trim the ones on the ends?

I think I have had these all my life, on one or other hair. No split ends ever formed from them. I even just think it depends on how the hair hits the scissors sometimes. That certainly isn't what's meant with "a white dot". They are up a strand and are usually thicker than the strand itself... but then I had some pretty explosive ones in the past. :lol:

xoAshley
September 30th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I think I have had these all my life, on one or other hair. No split ends ever formed from them. I even just think it depends on how the hair hits the scissors sometimes. That certainly isn't what's meant with "a white dot". They are up a strand and are usually thicker than the strand itself... but then I had some pretty explosive ones in the past. :lol:

Hmmm! Thank you Lapuska! This is good to know. Glad I don't have to worry so much about those little guys. :joy:

gthlvrmx
September 30th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Hmmm! Thank you Lapuska! This is good to know. Glad I don't have to worry so much about those little guys. :joy:

The lighting could make it look like your hairs have white dots. If you cut off the white dot hair strand and then look at it again and it still looks like it has a white dot, it might be the lighting causing it to look like your hair has a white dot. I know my hair does this.

ravenheather
September 30th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I used to get white dots. They are greatly reduced from keeping my hair more moisturized. I started co mostly and using a leave in. Now there are very few of them.

serin blackwood
October 2nd, 2015, 03:35 PM
A white dot at the end of a hair is from the hair breaking.

This is what one looks like under my microscope:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/cshprd/Serins%20stuff/image_zpsxoqwzwpg.jpeg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/cshprd/media/Serins%20stuff/image_zpsxoqwzwpg.jpeg.html)

And this is a white dot higher up the shaft:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/cshprd/Serins%20stuff/image_zpsx0qklwez.jpeg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/cshprd/media/Serins%20stuff/image_zpsx0qklwez.jpeg.html)

I have tried to create a white dot by using dull scissors (several different ones) but unsuccessfully. The cuts all looked fairly straight with slightly jagged edges under the scope and no white dots to the naked eye. I suspect that most people here who are seeing dots are looking at breakage. It is also possible that a cut with scissors at a spot on the shaft that is weak and ready to break anyway could end up looking like these white dots.

gthlvrmx
October 2nd, 2015, 03:47 PM

I think white dots on the ends of hair still counts as damage though, even if it doesn't turn into a split end. That's just what I think though, I could be wrong. The photos shown on this thread show the hair with a white dot at the end and it looks damaged to me.

serin blackwood
October 2nd, 2015, 04:47 PM
After looking at white dots under the microscope, I always trim off any one I find - on the ends and higher up. They are quite jagged as you can see and certainly contribute to a velcro feel and could easily start splitting.