PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of dip dyeing my hair, advice please!

animetor7
September 28th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Hey all,

I'm thinking of dip dyeing the bottom of my hair a fun color so that if I get sick of it, it's not as big a commitment as dyeing it all a different color. I know that bleach is generally frowned upon, but it's either this or chop it. I have dark enough hair that I know I'll need to bleach it first. What is the best way of doing this without destroying my hair?

Thanks! :)

DreamSheep
September 28th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I think pastina is the best person to advise on the bleach front - though if your hair is the same shade as your siggy pic, I think that a colour such as red (or with a red/orange/pink base) will show up very well as long as it is strong and saturated without any bleaching.

I'd say my hair is a similar level, maybe slightly darker, and I dipdyed without bleaching (the tips were a bit bleached by the sun naturally though).

lapushka
September 28th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Maybe try olaplex for the bleaching part; there's a thread on that substance.

luxurioushair
September 28th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Why is it either this or you chop it?

Anje
September 28th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Olaplex seems to be the new thing to prevent bleach damage. Failing that, saturating hair with coconut oil a few hours before and then bleaching the oily hair seems to prevent a lot of damage and still works well.

Arctic
September 28th, 2015, 07:52 AM
If your hair colour is close to how it seemed in your latest video, I am sure you can get some of the darker colours to show in your hair well without bleaching.

Kaelbu
September 28th, 2015, 12:09 PM
If the color in your sig is a good representation of your color, you probably don't need to bleach at all. I have very old bleach fade (that had been dyed over darker several times) that I dip-dyed in July. The ends weren't bleach blonde, but lighter than my natural color, and it held purple fairly well for a few weeks. There's still a hint of pink there now at the end of September. So it may be worth it to try without bleaching first, to avoid damage. You'll still have color! Though it may not be super vibrant neon, which may be what you're looking for.

animetor7
September 28th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Why is it either this or you chop it?

Because I'm just getting a bit bored of it and want to play with it somehow, and rather than get itchy fingers and chop it I'd rather dye the bottom of it.

animetor7
September 28th, 2015, 09:00 PM
If your hair colour is close to how it seemed in your latest video, I am sure you can get some of the darker colours to show in your hair well without bleaching.

I think pastina is the best person to advise on the bleach front - though if your hair is the same shade as your siggy pic, I think that a colour such as red (or with a red/orange/pink base) will show up very well as long as it is strong and saturated without any bleaching.

I'd say my hair is a similar level, maybe slightly darker, and I dipdyed without bleaching (the tips were a bit bleached by the sun naturally though).

If the color in your sig is a good representation of your color, you probably don't need to bleach at all. I have very old bleach fade (that had been dyed over darker several times) that I dip-dyed in July. The ends weren't bleach blonde, but lighter than my natural color, and it held purple fairly well for a few weeks. There's still a hint of pink there now at the end of September. So it may be worth it to try without bleaching first, to avoid damage. You'll still have color! Though it may not be super vibrant neon, which may be what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I can always try just dyeing it without bleach first and then redoing it with bleaching if I need to.

animetor7
September 29th, 2015, 12:50 AM
http://blog.vpfashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Unique-ombre-red-color-for-brown-hair.jpg

Maybe something like this?

hypersensitive
September 29th, 2015, 01:14 AM
It was fun to dip dye! I had to bleach and then color. When I was done having fun, I cut it off. Easy Peasy.

Kiiruna
September 29th, 2015, 02:45 AM
It depends on the color too. The easiest colors to dip dye are probably warm purples and reds, which can be seen even on a bit darker hair. The hardest colors to dip dye are blues and pastels, which require almost white base to look good (blue turns easily into green, pastels just don't show).