PDA

View Full Version : What kind of food..?!

M.McDonough
September 27th, 2015, 08:51 PM
As we all know, good nutrition is very important for healthy hair growth.
My question is...
what sorts of food do you eat?
Are you a vegetarian? are you not??
Let me know..

Llama
September 27th, 2015, 08:59 PM
I eat a lot of chicken, eggs, steak, potatoes, cheese, pasta, pizza, fruits, veggies. I don't eat fast food or junk food very often. Back when I did eat mostly fast food/junk food my hair wasn't in as good of condition as it is now, but I also did a lot of bad things to my hair back then (heat styling, dying, etc...)

luxurioushair
September 28th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I avoid fast food (bought from the outlets) and all the different soda drinks. Instead, I drink lots of water, and fruit juices that actually contain fruit.

Most of my meals contain something vegetable-based, such as stew, soup or tomato-based chicken gravy.

In everything, moderation, eating large portions is never good. e.g. You can eat the cake, but not too much. You can eat pizza but not half the entire pizza!

Nique1202
September 28th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I just eat as many different things as my budget allows for. Vegetables, even frozen or canned, are better than none. Some meat (fish/chicken/pork) or beans/legumes with at least one meal every day (protein and iron) and I try for an egg or some cheese with the other meals. I don't skimp on the rice/pasta/bread but I try to make sure every meal has a balance between veggies, starches, and protein that allows me to feel full and get all the nutrition I need. I don't eat a lot of fruit, because I live in a pretty isolated area where usually the only decent fruit we get consistently is apples because they keep for so long, and I eat enough different vegetables that it seems to make up the lack of fruit pretty well.

I also have unhealthy parts of my diet (fried bread dough is a cultural thing where I grew up, and I love to bake cookies, pies, cakes, etc. as well as my own homemade bread) but there's no reason that "junk" food shouldn't have a place in an otherwise balanced and healthy diet, too. And, most flour and stuff is fortified with the vitamins that people don't usually get enough of, so it all works out.

Knifegill
September 28th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Mostly meat, eggs, vegetables and fruit. Some nuts, cheese and chocolate as well. As clean-sourced as possible, plenty of garden food and foraged food, too!

neko_kawaii
September 28th, 2015, 09:02 AM
What ever is in front of me or can be procured to satisfy a craving. Oatmeal with pears for breakfast today.

We get a vegetable share from a local farmer every week. No choice about what we get. The food is paid for in advance so we have an economic incentive in finding ways to use everything. Not a vegetarian, but not in the habit of cooking meat either. I eat sweets and junk food, I just don't buy them often or in large quantities.

I remember a few things I've heard on the forum are thought to be good for hair: cucumbers, protein, gelatin. Mmm, I wish I had bones in the freezer for making stock and that the temperature would go back into soup weather.

The best general food advice I know comes from Michael Pollan. Eat real food (as close to unprocessed as is reasonable). Mostly plants (meat is for special occasions or used in small amounts for flavor). Not too much (eat what you need to maintain your level of exertion and your metabolism). And enjoy what you eat. People forget how important that last point is. There is no reason to eat bad tasting food. If you don't like one preparation, try another. Herbs and spices are amazing, use them.

Thoughtcriminal
September 28th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Peanut butter, whole grains (as gruel or breads), tons of fruit and vegetables, beans (especially tofu). Eggs, milk and cheese occasionally, meat even less. I very, very, very rarely eat any sort of processed food, I never really want it.

I've recently started reducing my consumption of cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussel sprouts and kale) because although they're great for hair, they make me bloated like crazy. I also need to start exercising more so my calorie budget is large enough to get enough nutrients.

Eastbound&Down
September 28th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Well, the last couple weeks have been a little rough, so I've been eating anything that would stay down, healthy or not. BUT, I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and I will being buying lots of food so I can cook at home. Chicken, roasts, ham, pork chops, plenty of veggies and fruits to snack on. I also really want to get yogurt for breakfast (I can't handle eggs right now). I think everything in moderation. Life is all about balance, if you want some french fries, get some french fries, just eat something healthy later on, or get some exercise :)

M.McDonough
September 28th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I myself try to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, animal products, like chicken, meat, fish, etc. Dairy...And plenty of water, which is not easy without going to the bathroom like every 5 minutes, lol..but basically anything healthy. Sometimes, I have a real hankering for junk food like once a week or so but I try not to go to restaurants, so I make fast food at home.

RavennaNight
September 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I am an omnivore. I eat everything, except for fast food such as McDonalds, Wendy's etc. That I do very very rarely. Generally I try to keep everything in moderation. For hair, I noticed that it grows slightly faster when I keep eggs in my diet regularly. I eat a pair of eggs a variety of ways every morning.

lapushka
September 28th, 2015, 03:19 PM
A regular (meat eater) well-rounded diet.

jera
September 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM
No fast food for me and nothing sugary either. No sodas, preferring instead fresh juices or tea. Fish and poultry are fine, but no pork or beef or fatty meat, and no cold cuts. Low on sodium. Lots of fruits and veggies. I love salad. Not too many grains or legumes, but I do eat nuts. I have dairy also, mostly milk and cheese! :cheese:

M.McDonough
September 28th, 2015, 05:18 PM
I am an omnivore. I eat everything, except for fast food such as McDonalds, Wendy's etc. That I do very very rarely. Generally I try to keep everything in moderation. For hair, I noticed that it grows slightly faster when I keep eggs in my diet regularly. I eat a pair of eggs a variety of ways every morning.

CoOl !! :)

meteor
September 28th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I think diets are very YMMV, for example, a lot depends on the individual's sensitivities, gut flora, exercise, etc..., some may do better on certain foods than others.
I try to eat a well-balanced diet, and I try to avoid processed foods when possible.
I definitely do a lot better when I eat more fish, nuts and veggies. I think increasing consumption of oils and proteins helped my nails get stronger... but I can't tell if there was any effect on hair, in my case.

spidermom
September 28th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Omnivore. I pretty much eat everything but do my best to minimize fast food and sugary things. I rarely drink soda, preferring plain water or iced tea without sugar but mixed with lemonade if I have it.

lalepepper
September 28th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I've lost over 100 lbs over the last few years, all after losing my gallbladder, so I have to be a bit careful what I eat. Too much fat can lead to a lot of pain (scar tissue seems to be to blame) and stomach problems.

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, including lots of berries, stone fruit, and some vitamin C rich fruit like kiwi to help with my iron absorption, as well as veggies like spinach, carrots, broccoli, and squash.
For those carb-rich meals I try to eat whole grain - pasta, bread, and wraps, unless it's something pre-prepared. I also enjoy whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, and popcorn.
For protein I go for lean meats like chicken and turkey, eggs, beans, meat alternatives like soy and pea protein, and unsweetened greek yogurt, which I'll jazz up with something like berries, granola, or honey.
I get most of my fats from peanut butter, cheese, full fat yogurt, and olive oil. I also have dark chocolate or some sort of ice cream bar on hand for dessert.
I drink mostly coffee, water (a lot of seltzer), and will occasionally have diet soda.

An average day might include an omlette wrapped with a whole grain wrap with a side spinach salad, unsweet. greek yogurt with strawberries and honey, a kiwi, a spaghetti squash bowl filled with chili and topped with cheese, an ice cream bar, and a serving of peanut butter.

I try to avoid keeping foods that used to be problematic for me in the house. I save those types of things for when I'm out and about, and find I appreciate those more this way anyways.

I'm no saint - we eat out each week, but I stick to familiar options where I can get something I know won't upset my body and where I can estimate what I'm really eating. Right now I'm still eating on a deficit as I'm aiming to lose a bit more weight, but I've been easing up on it so maintenance won't be a huge change. The condition of my hair has really improved over the past 3 year, as before I was mostly eating convenience foods and definitely not getting my minimum nutrition met.

lunasea
September 28th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Gluten-free Vegan. Mostly organic and local. Almost no refined or processed food (tofu is about as processed as I get). No sugar. Nothing made with flour. Most oils come from nuts and seeds. That's what works for me.

Winterwitch
September 28th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Legumes, meat, fish, vegetables, rice, oats. Limited eggs and dairy because they give me indigestion.
Bread and noodles never fill me up so I don't eat them often, aside from the end of the month when I live off ramen hahah.
As far as food to promote hair growth go, I'd say legumes, oats, nuts and fish are the best foods (biotin, silica, folate, omega-3s.) But if you're a healthy younger person, you could probably eat anything and have decent hair health so long as you get your daily nutrients and vitamins.

AutobotsAttack
September 28th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I tend to eat a very, VERY wide viariety of food. I occasionally eat fast food as a treat or reward not very often. I do drink a lot of soda at the moment, but I do make sure to drink plenty of water too. I eat a lot veggies and lean meats. Mainly chicken.

CheshireGrin
September 29th, 2015, 01:15 AM
I'm vegan and I eat a mixture of health food and junk food. When I'm eating good it's usually lots of tofu, chickpeas, ezekial bread, brown rice, nut butters, various vegetables and fruits (mostly peas, broccoli, zucchini, leafy greens, carrots, sweet potato, tomato, banana, melon, pineapple), when I'm eating bad it's usually chocolate, cookies, french fries, sweetened iced-tea ect. I almost never drink soda though and I never drink alcohol. I drink a good amount of coffee and tea even though I'm caffeine sensitive. :coffee: I never noticed my hair growing faster or slower with any diet changes but I've never tracked that much.

Kiiruna
September 29th, 2015, 04:16 AM
I have a sea-food diet. I see food, and I eat it. *ba-dum-tshh*

prettyinpink
September 29th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I try to eat a lot of leafy greens. I try to eat salmon once a week. Lots of oatmeal, fruit, eggs, and turkey

bluestar
September 29th, 2015, 11:02 PM
I eat a vegetarian (no meat, but yes fish and dairy:gobblecheese:) no sugar (fruit sugar is ok) gluten free and diet.

bluestar
September 29th, 2015, 11:06 PM
gluten free diet*** no editing haha

Calypso
September 30th, 2015, 06:00 AM
I have a sea-food diet. I see food, and I eat it. *ba-dum-tshh*

Hahaha, that made me chuckle! :D

I'm vegan, but I eat plenty of protein rich foods (mainly chickpeas!), and also healthy fats from avocados, chia seeds, etc, which are great for hair. :)

YvetteVarie
September 30th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I eat almost everything except a few foods I don't like (fish) and I avoid gluten as much as possible. My protein is heavier on the protein and fruit/veg. I really don't like water, but I try to drink at least 1 liter a day and get hydrated from any other fluids I can lay hands on.

Spindle
September 30th, 2015, 12:16 PM
My hair usually grows very slowly but over the past 6 months I have started having a teaspoon of chia seeds in smoothies daily (excellent protein) and my hair is growing noticeably faster! This is the only lifestyle change I have made so I'm thinking this is what has caused the change. (I am vegetarian, mostly dairy free)

LegoCaltrops
October 6th, 2015, 03:15 AM
I mainly try to avoid the junk food. I am, however, trying to eat more nutrient rich foods - I'm pretty healthy but my hair has never been especially thick or strong. I'm currently chin length. So I did some research & am trying to include more:

Sulphur rich foods - onion family, cruciferous vegetables, & apparently dates are a good source. (Yum) I'm sure there are others.

Protein - a mixture of sources. Animal proteins, generally I try to buy free range / pastured & if possible, organic.

Beyond protein - gelatine. I can't afford gelatine powder (the good stuff is expensive here in the UK) so I make bone broth in my slow cooker instead, I make sure there's lots of connective tissue on the bones I choose, and some meat for taste.

Healthy fats & oils - mostly from vegetable sources. I especially like hemp oil as a salad dressing.

Horrorpops
October 6th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, oily fish, dairy and fruits :) very little fast food or junk food but I do go out for dinners and drinks which is where my diet doesn't look so hair (or anything else) healthy.I was vegetarian and then vegan for 5 years but am not any more. TBH my hair is no different but I think my diet may be more varied in terms of vegetables now. :)

LegoCaltrops
October 6th, 2015, 05:10 AM
And, lots of water. My hair was long but pretty rubbish when I was younger, I put this down to bad diet but moatly down to the fact that I was permanently dehydrated. Seriously - I used to drink about 300-400ml per day.

Hairkay
October 6th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I eat fruit, vegetables, grains, meat, fish, eggs, leafy greens, pulses, some oil and sometimes mushrooms. I mostly stick to white meat which I'll have a few times a week. The rest of the week I'll have vegetarian dishes. I've drastically cut back on dairy produce due to some indirect problems it causes with my allergies. I'm not allergic to dairy but it does make my symptoms of hayfever worse. All those shop bought alternatives like soya drink, almond drink etc don't work for me. I just break out in a rash. Nowadays I get my calcium supply from munching on a small portion of almonds at breakfast time, sometimes egg and having some beans and peas later on in the day. I also get a little from some vegetables. I began to detest ready made breakfast cereal quite a while ago. I'd grown up without it for some of my childhood. On a cereal day we'd have home made porridge of oats/cornmeal/rice with milk as often as we had cornflakes and weetabix. Breakfast on a busy day is a fruit smoothie with two table spoons of oats added then I'll have my nuts. On a light lazy morning it's just a few fruits and the nuts with a some water.

I don't like hot drinks. My beverage is water. I may have some peppemint tea/nettle tea/camomile tea/ginger accordingly if I'm not feeling too good. I disliked tea and hot chocolate from young. I went off of fizzy drinks from the age of 14. I learnt to avoid all those squash drinks and most juice drinks because there's a possibility I'm allergic to the additives especially when colouring is added. I began to dislike even having lots of juice. Now I save that for a special occasion such as festive holidays.

I haven't been cooking as often as I should so I'm having a bit too much fast food. I'm having a problem with my kitchen tap which is putting me off of doing lots of cooking. Eventually I'll have to get that sorted out. I'm having too much sweet things lately, cake and shortbread. I don't like most chocolates mainly because I detest caramel in most forms. I also dislike toffee and most fudges. I just avoid the whole lot. I grew up being more inclined to savoury stuff, the sweet tooth thing finally grew on me. I like home made desserts.

Once a month I'll cook chicken liver to replace the iron that I've lost.

missmelaniem
October 6th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Ive had a diet that has varied wildly over the years. I havent eaten a fast food diet since my 20s.

I went vegetarian at 30 and quit at 44. I felt like it did a lot of damage to my joints, interestingly enough. When I started eating chicken again, that problem pretty much went away.

Ive also had periods of my life where I was about 95% raw vegan. Id eat mostly fresh fruit and veggies and would get my protein from protein shakes. I actually go raw for a couple of months a year.

I have what I call a tier system. I choose vegan first whenever possible. If thats not an option I will make a vegetarian choice and last result I make a carnivore choice. I wind up eating meat probably 10 times a month or less. I eat very few processed foods. I eat a prepackaged salad almost every day. I take vitamin supplements religiously and have my entire life. I started taking supplements at around 14. My mama was really into Adele Davis and liked natural and organic.

Sometimes I wish I could live on fast food but I find that much more expensive and inconvenient than what I eat at home!

Nuala
October 6th, 2015, 12:18 PM
I eat vegetables, fruits, meat, eggs, dairy products, and I drink a lot of tea and water (I don't like juice unless freshly squeezed, or fizzy drinks). I also every now and then like to eat chocolate, junk food, and crisps, with moderation, and sometimes I drink a glass of wine when I feel like it (normally - a few times a month). I don't diet, I just try to eat healthy food but also to enjoy what I eat! No nibbling on a stick of sellery for me. I've tried dieting before and it never worked for me.

Izzie
October 6th, 2015, 02:33 PM
HCLF vegan :) Mostly raw vegan.