PDA

View Full Version : Blow Dryer Styling

DollyDagger
September 27th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Hey Everyone,

What are your thoughts on blowdrying with a round brush...blow-out style?

Anyone (who's at a length that allows it) still use a blow dryer and round brush to style hair?

If so how often?

What hair type do you have fine, medium or course?

Where would you rate it as far as propensity to cause mechanical damage to your hair?

(Thanks turtlelover for reminding)- How about a paddle brush..?

I stopped blowdrying quite some time ago. I was never adept at the blow-out round brush method which is why I switched to flat-iron. Probably wouldve been better served by staying with my not so great blow drying method...lol

My mom basically insinuated that my hair looks really nice (better?) blow dried rather than how I've been wearing it in it's natural texture-kind of annoying.:justy:.lol
I have no plans to pick up my blow dryer and round brush...theyre dead to me :rip:

I think I might grab some magnetic rollers though..they sound pretty good for once in a while...

T.I.A- for sharing your thoughts
:sun: Dollydagger

turtlelover
September 27th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Round brushes get stuck in my hair, so I used to use a paddle brush and just sort of flick/twist the ends under as I was drying, which worked much better for me. However, I was only looking for waist length hair then. Now I would like to make it past waist, so I have given up the dryer. I do miss the smooth, nicely blown out hair, but I'd rather deal w/ my own texture now and have it really long.

spidermom
September 27th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I think that horrible round brush causes more damage than the blow dryer. I use a shower comb to control my hair until the very end, then I switch to my paddle brush. I like the results a lot. I also use warm rather than hot air.

Groovy Granny
September 27th, 2015, 10:13 PM
I used to find that method would pull my hair.
So I would blow dry it on warm/cool and then finish it with a hot air curling brush set on low.
I have fine hair so it was just enough to add a smooth curl.
Funny you mention this because I realized just yesterday that I haven't use that appliance in almost 3 years and should just put it away.
Now if I want a curl a quick bun (1 hour) on damp hair will do it ;)

Alex Lou
September 27th, 2015, 11:30 PM
If I had any skill in blow drying my hair, I would do it every wash. I'd still like to learn, but so far it just turns out puffy. Lately, I've just been using an iron. My hair is almost tailbone atm.

DollyDagger
September 28th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I think that horrible round brush causes more damage than the blow dryer. I use a shower comb to control my hair until the very end, then I switch to my paddle brush. I like the results a lot. I also use warm rather than hot air.
Thnx spidermom-Ya theyre horrible for sure! I think they cause so much breakage..especially if you're finer haired. I will have to try my paddle brush on warm setting and see how it goes these days. It used to leave me with alot of frizz but maybe using a little bit of product will help

I used to find that method would pull my hair.
So I would blow dry it on warm/cool and then finish it with a hot air curling brush set on low.
I have fine hair so it was just enough to add a smooth curl.
Funny you mention this because I realized just yesterday that I haven't use that appliance in almost 3 years and should just put it away.
Now if I want a curl a quick bun (1 hour) on damp hair will do it ;)
Thnx GG- I put away all those appliances too..apart from blow dryer with diffuser attachment that I use a little on roots sometimes. Damp bunning...I should try this! :)

If I had any skill in blow drying my hair, I would do it every wash. I'd still like to learn, but so far it just turns out puffy. Lately, I've just been using an iron. My hair is almost tailbone atm.
Thanx Alex Lou-Youre lucky to have coarser hair..flat ironing just doesnt work for my hair type...or rather it does but at a cost.

LauraAlaina
September 28th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I've completely cut out all blowdrying and I feel my hair dries much better (the blowdryer sometimes turned my hair into a crazy mess!) plus the condition of my hair without heat has improved dramatically this past month.

xoAshley
September 28th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I've completely cut out all blowdrying and I feel my hair dries much better (the blowdryer sometimes turned my hair into a crazy mess!) plus the condition of my hair without heat has improved dramatically this past month.

Me too!!! I've probably blow dried my hair twice in the last two years.... and my hair feels SO much better and has really adapted to air drying.

lapushka
September 28th, 2015, 12:06 PM
My hair gets diffused. Lots better than roundbrushing, if you ask me. I had my years of blowdrying straight and in the end (final steps) a few roundbrushing strokes, but... no, not returning to that. I like my waves too much.

cathair
September 28th, 2015, 12:06 PM
If I put a round brush near my head it immediately gets lost and stuck in my hair! It's horrific trying to get it out. I don't find them compatible with anything other than short hair, I can do my Mum's hair with one fine.

I can blow dry my hair 1b straight just finger combing anyway which is enough for me, so I still don't bother with a brush when blow drying anyway.

Christine_O
September 28th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I have very fine hair, highly prone to damage. So long before I started really taking care of my hair I gave up both round brushes and blow dryers.

DollyDagger
September 28th, 2015, 12:44 PM
^me too Christine_O:shake: it's just not conducive to growing hair long is it..

I tried paddle brush and blow dry- total fail. My hair just goes frizzy. It looks so much less frizzy and better in it's curly natural state. I had to bun it..lol just as well though :p
Maybe by tommorow the poofy frizz will calm down but I doubt Ill be able to ever blow-dry and go.

Thanks everyone ! Agreed ...this blow drying really sucks! lol I forgot how much!!!

Arctic
September 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I've been without a blowdrier for several months now, after my old one bit the dust. I am planning to buy a new one soon, I've just gotten a bit overwhelmed with all the features of the new driers etc.

Anyway, I did/do use round brush, but the longer my hair's gotten the more I have been using other types of brusher and I always start with the drying process without brush, working with my fingers only. In everyday life I might not even use a brush, but for the times I wish my hair to be more smooth (like special occasions), I will finish the styling with a brush. I mostly use the round brush these day on the very ends to bend the end, aften it being stuck in my hair few times. When my hair was above shoulder level I used round brush much more and frequently.

I haven't found using my brushes particularly damaging, but I do it carefully, as I do the whole blowdrying process. I took the time to learn to do a proper blowdrying techniques, and am not likely to give the blowdrying up. (Although when I get around buying the new blowdrier I might not use it as often as before, simply because I have started to shower mostly in the evening rather than in the mornings, and it would feel like a waste of time to blow dry then.

DollyDagger
September 28th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Arctic -With your thicker strands I can see it working for you. You're lucky to have the option. I didnt even try the round brush..just paddle. Those round brushes always used to get stuck and tangled unless of course a hair dresser was wielding it..lol

Arctic
September 28th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot the hairtype info! My hair's mixture of straight-ish and wavy, my canopy being almost straight naturally, so it's easy to get smooth; I am not concentrating to make the underlayers straight in everyday life. My waviest hairs are very wavy, strong S type with very short wave length pattern, but I think most of my waves are approx 2a.

And yes I have some thicker stands, probably C types, but I also have F and M types (these are hard to say without comparing to several other people's hair, but I know my current hair strands are thicker than they used to be, when I had F hair). Anyway my thickest hairs are usually kinky, and while it can seem these coarse strands to be resiliant, they are actually my most fragile ones. The spot where the hair strand twists around itself is a weak spot, and if I see broken hairs, they usually are the coarse (and wiry/kinky) ones.

DollyDagger
September 28th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Arctic^That's incredible you have the whole range of strand thicknesses! Yes where they twist and turn is always a weaker point. Maybe if the coarsest strands were also the straightest they'd be the most resilient.
I never even realized how fine my strands are..theyre dark brown but you can hardly see them when held up to the light or even around my finger. I must get a hold of one of my moms hair for a comparison..hers is coarse. I want to see the difference when stretching because mine snaps quite readily and easily..I bet hers is much harder to snap.
Anyways...round brushes are a no go. I even remember always having breakage at the crown (where most of the efforts to smooth took place) from flat ironing and blow drying. I have much less now and the shorter hairs Im quite certain are new growth.

Carolyn
September 28th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I suck at blow drying my hair. I've made a real tangled mess with a round brush. I have a better result with a paddle brush. I don't do it often. Just when I want to wear my hair down, because frankly it looks much better blow dried than air dried. I haven't worn it down for more than a couple hours at a time all summer. Now that fall is here I will probably do it more. By more I mean maybe like once every couple of weeks. When I get a trim I have my stylist blow dry it and use a flat iron. My hair looks perfect on those days and only on those days. Yes I probably damage it a little but it's very worth it too me. I'm not going for much past waist. I don't see much damage. I look for splits and find only a few.

pahbee
September 28th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I haven't blow-dried my hair for a long time because I also have fine hair that is easily damaged. I used to dry by separating a bunch of hair, holding it up, start gently pulling my wide-toothed comb through. Then I'd press my dryer concentrator attachment downwards against the hair and move down.

sarahthegemini
September 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I don't blowdry because I like my natural texture - blowdrying just makes my hair straight.