PDA

View Full Version : Goofing off Buns...messing with what works.

Quasiquixotic
September 27th, 2015, 03:51 PM
So every long hair reaches the point where they goof off with their hair, right?!? I'm not the only one...okay, maybe I am.

So I was putting my hair up today and didn't feel as lazy as normal for a lazy wrap bun. Thus I did an unlazy wrap bun.

LWB with the loop over your index finger (fingers) split in half.

Ah this is a rather loose bun. But it's holds well, which is why I'm sharing it. It looks crazy. And messy. I'm sure Scarlet or Lirona would pull this one off neater...maybe.

I think it'd prefer it if I had a headache and wanted to put my hair up.

It makes a HUGE looking bun...mostly lies. Look at how it eats a 6.5" LI.

And the weight seems well distributed.

Any who, here is a photo internet...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Quasiquixotic/IMG_3761_zpswlzyxeac.jpg (http://s122.photobucket.com/user/Quasiquixotic/media/IMG_3761_zpswlzyxeac.jpg.html)

Anyone else goof off with established buns and actually make something work?

two_wheels
September 27th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Lol here's my version of yours
Also made of lies and whimsy
http://i.imgur.com/6yI6zXql.jpg
I thought it was going to collapse before I got a photo but actually lasted ages

Quasiquixotic
September 27th, 2015, 04:01 PM
okay so you can make it neater...i'm just special then.

Love the sunfire!

I've gotten several hours out of this, which is a miracle as I thought it would last all of a minute...

meteor
September 27th, 2015, 04:26 PM
^ Oh, that looks absolutely lovely! :applause Thanks so much for sharing! :flowers: I love both versions! It looks very well-distributed, a bit like a disc bun or an L-infinity bun.

But how exactly do you do this? :) You split it in half? :hmm: Sounds a bit like a disc bun process, but going in the same direction instead of opposite directions?

Quasiquixotic
September 27th, 2015, 04:31 PM
So I did a lazy wrap bun. Took my stick and stuck it in the middle of the finger side loop. I then slid my index finger up the stick to catch the other half, flip that back on itself - really loose, must hold in place. Stick under whole bun and out the other half.

Words are not working.

It does feel like a loose disc bun. But no splitting your hair.

two_wheels
September 27th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Oh. I did the LWB up to the point where you're about to flip the loop over the wound bit. then used my other hand to split the loop in half and pulled the two halves to opposite sides over the wound bit. My wedding ring floofed it up a little. Then like you, stick over loop, under wound bit, over loop.

I like the idea of using the stick instead to split it.

meteor
September 27th, 2015, 04:54 PM
^ Thanks a lot for sharing the instructions, ladies! :flowers:
(I'll need to play around with LWB to see if I can make it work, too, though I'm really bad at understanding written instructions :oops: )

I think this is a really great bun :D , both visually and for distributing weight well along the scalp.

two_wheels
September 27th, 2015, 04:55 PM
It definitely distributes weight to the extent that it feels ready to fall out, but doesn't.
New fave :)

Quasiquixotic
September 27th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Hmm I bet it would feel more secure with a ficcare...must go try...

lunasea
September 27th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I thought that was a disc bun??!! Must be doing a disc bun wrong then.

Robi-Bird
September 27th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I don't have a pic but I have a habit of doing a vertical disk bun. I divide my hair from top to bottom instead side to side and follow the normal motion.

Quasiquixotic
September 27th, 2015, 09:26 PM
hmm, or I am.

I make a disc bun by splitting my hair in half and then doing a LWB one way with the first half. And then the other way with the second half.

For this I make a LWB with all my hair, and then split the finger loop in half to make the edges of the bun. For all I know this could actually already be a bun...I was just messing around today and thought I should share.

Interesting Robi-Bird, I always split my Disc Buns horizontally.

lunasea
September 27th, 2015, 09:50 PM
No, I just looked at a video. I was totally doing a disc bun wrong. Hmmmm, guess I've been doin your bun for a while Quasi :p Gosh darn, if a real disc bun doesn't look a lot better than I thought.

spidermom
September 27th, 2015, 10:04 PM
I dislike copying other people's styles, so I often throw a variation into the works so that it's my style and not somebody else's. Sometimes this leads to utter failure, but other times it turns out really well.

lunasea
September 27th, 2015, 10:07 PM
If I didn't learn from videos I would never get my hair up at all, seriously :p

Quasiquixotic
September 27th, 2015, 10:15 PM
I dislike copying other people's styles, so I often throw a variation into the works so that it's my style and not somebody else's. Sometimes this leads to utter failure, but other times it turns out really well.

ooh, can I learn your variations or does that make it not your style?

ETA: OOH I just looked up your bun and I have enough hair to do it...IF I only wrap it around my index finger and not index and middle.

Lunasea, I'm right there with you!

Groovy Granny
September 27th, 2015, 10:16 PM
I have a hard time creating my own styles :rolleyes:
So the only difference I can make is in the accessories I use. :shrug:

Adiro
September 28th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Jason and two Wheels, they are both,pretty....and they'll like a hypnobun...

Wildcat Diva
September 28th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I usually have a drink and THEN go messing around with bunning. It's more fun that way. XD

I have been messing around with LWB, mostly trying to get it more stable AND good looking. I have enough to length to wrap twice, so I wrap only one finger tightly first, the second wrap is more fingers/whole hand. Then stick insertion follows the one finger to thumb and ignores the whole hand wrap part.

maria_asa
September 28th, 2015, 01:12 PM
So I did a lazy wrap bun. Took my stick and stuck it in the middle of the finger side loop. I then slid my index finger up the stick to catch the other half, flip that back on itself - really loose, must hold in place. Stick under whole bun and out the other half.

Words are not working.

It does feel like a loose disc bun. But no splitting your hair.

Maybe it's because I'm really tired after being up watching the moon this night but I still don't get it. Anyone up for making a tutorial? Please?

cat11
September 28th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Habioku has instructions for this bun on youtube!! It's called looped bun or something like that. I tried it the other night and thought it was nice but I'd rather do a disc for a similar look since it's neater on me

meteor
September 28th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Habioku has instructions for this bun on youtube!! It's called looped bun or something like that. I tried it the other night and thought it was nice but I'd rather do a disc for a similar look since it's neater on me

Thanks so much for mentioning that video, cat11! :D
It's great to have a video tutorial for visual learners like myself, so thank you! :blossom:
(Habioku's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz_zP4MWj9A)

Quasiquixotic
September 28th, 2015, 02:36 PM
yes! That is it exactly. And she makes it look much neater than I did.

Robi-Bird
September 28th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Two bad but basically accurate pictures of a vertical disk bun and one noisy cat.
http://i.imgur.com/10H0azi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SNkF7VL.jpg

meteor
September 28th, 2015, 04:34 PM
^ That's very pretty, Robi-Bird! :applause I love the kitty photo-bomb, too! ;)

cat11
September 28th, 2015, 05:40 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/dlkfsy.jpg

this came out looking like a lopsided infinity bun for me, lol

meteor
September 28th, 2015, 05:52 PM
^ Wow, it looks awesome, cat11! So perfectly smooth and neat-looking! :applause Definitely like an Infinity Bun!

rhosyn_du
September 28th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I learned this one last time I was growing out as "cheater's infinity bun." It was one of my favorite styles for the seemingly endless abyss between APL and BSL.

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Gorgeous photos, and I do love the photo-bombing cat. Siamese or Siamese-mix? Cats with Siamese ancestry do tend to be mouthy so-and-sos, LOL.

I had thought of trying a vertical disc bun, since if it works horizontally, it should work vertically, at least in theory. Might try that tomorrow. :)

Robi-Bird
September 28th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Puck's a seal point Himalayan. My baby's ten years old!

cat11
September 28th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Meteor :)

Gorgeous photos, and I do love the photo-bombing cat. Siamese or Siamese-mix? Cats with Siamese ancestry do tend to be mouthy so-and-sos, LOL.

I had thought of trying a vertical disc bun, since if it works horizontally, it should work vertically, at least in theory. Might try that tomorrow. :)

It totally works, I do this from time to time, although I'm more likely to make a horizontal one than completely vertical.

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Ah, yes, Himalayan. If I'd been paying attention, I'd have noticed the coat was too long for a Siamese. Puck is a great name for a cat; the name makes me think of the mischief-making sprite from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Gorgeous kitty and gorgeous hair!

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 07:32 PM
It totally works, I do this from time to time, although I'm more likely to make a horizontal one than completely vertical.

Cool. If I have time in the morning, I'll try it. :)

Robi-Bird
September 28th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Ah, yes, Himalayan. If I'd been paying attention, I'd have noticed the coat was too long for a Siamese. Puck is a great name for a cat; the name makes me think of the mischief-making sprite from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Gorgeous kitty and gorgeous hair!
Thank you on both. You got the inspiration for his name to right .:-) Falstaff is the name of my Tabby/Maine Coon.

I switch back and forth between vertical and horizontal for my disk buns just to keep from over stressing one spot of my scalp. Hmm I wonder if I could do it on an angle?

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Falstaff is the name of my Tabby/Maine Coon.
You're very welcome.

How perfect a name is THAT?! Were/are you an English major? I once named a pair of cats Cyrano and Christian, but that was because my mom had one named Roxanne, although Roxanne-the-cat predated me having read Cyrano de Bergerac.

I tend to alternate my hairstyles a good bit to avoid overstressing my hair and scalp, but I do have a tendency to put my buns at about the same point on the back of my head and I probably should stop that. I look silly with very high buns, and very low buns feel weird to me, although I probably should get over that.

Robi-Bird
September 28th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Mom's a college English professor. I grew up a Shakespeare fan. Folly aka Falstaff suits the moniker.

I unconsciously do more low buns than high,
I'm trying to change it up a bit more. And I can do a diagonal disk bun

Quasiquixotic
September 28th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I find flipped buns like a flipped lwb (maki bun on YouTube) or a flipped Cinnabun good for getting a high bun.

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I unconsciously do more low buns than high,
I'm trying to change it up a bit more. And I can do a diagonal disk bun

Okay, I can see how you'd do one vertically, but how in the world do you make one diagonal? How does it stay put, I suppose is more to the point?

Robi-Bird
September 28th, 2015, 08:43 PM
It's not really any different than a horizontal disk bun or a vertical one for hold. I divide my hair diagonally and wrapped as per usual. http://i.imgur.com/RCa1vBp.jpg

I would'nt say it looks that different from a vertical disk bun with the stick on more of an angle.

AZDesertRose
September 28th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Ah, I see. Cool, thanks! :)

maria_asa
September 29th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks so much for mentioning that video, cat11! :D
It's great to have a video tutorial for visual learners like myself, so thank you! :blossom:
(Habioku's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz_zP4MWj9A)

Thank you! It's amazing what a bit of sleep and a video tutorial can do for the understanding. ;)

Nebulae
September 29th, 2015, 03:09 AM
And I can do a diagonal disk bun

Maybe there's something odd with my hands, I thought they were supposed to be diagonal since that's how they always turn out for me :lol:

I will try the looped lazy wrap today I think!