PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed -- Hair Dye and Anxiety Help!

visionofnight
September 27th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Hello there everyone! I'm terribly sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. If I have, someone please just let me know and I'll do whatever I need to do to get this thread where it properly belongs. I'm a long time lurker and I've learned a WHOLE lot from you all (my hair has grown SO long, it's amazing! I'm barely at BSL, but hey -- that's pretty great for me!) -- and I'm hoping I can get some more personal advice from someone who knows better than I do about what to do, here.

I need to dye my hair. Desperately. I've been dying my hair since I was a VERY young girl, which leaves me with a solid 15 years of dye in my hair. I haven't seen more than a quarter inch of my natural hair in all that time! Most recently, I've been dying my hair red with a box dye from the grocery store, and have recently put a black streak in it that looks really quite nice. BUT! I want to STOP dying my hair. I need to get it all one colour so I can just ... let it grow without looking completely ridiculous in the process (I work in a VERY image-conscious industry, and I CANNOT have my hair looking a disaster.)

I WANT to dye it black. My natural colour is very dark with bits of grey (yeesh!) in it, and the regrowth I have in that bit of black looks pretty okay! But ... here's my trouble. I have recently been introduced to the absolute horrors of hair dye allergy. And it has just taken hold of every little anxiety-riddled part of my brain and won't let go. I have a box of hair dye in my bathroom right now in black, in the same brand I've used for YEARS, and have so far had two literal sobbing breakdowns in fear of putting this stuff on my head. I have used Manic Panic in the past without issue, but I've seen a fair few horror stories about their "Raven" dye going green! Which would be almost worse than what I have now, honestly. I also CANNOT use henna. I don't know what on earth happens to me, but the smell makes me nauseous and ill for DAYS. I had a roommate use it on her hair once -- and I literally had to go and stay with friends for a few days while the smell vacated my apartment.

I HAVE to do something. The red in my hair is horrifically faded, and it's affecting my self-esteem AND my work, at this point. I have no real reason to think that I'm going to have any sort of a reaction to this dye (I get the usual bits of itching and scratching that come with sticking a bunch of chemicals on your head, but nothing too scary, I don't think?) -- but I just can't bring myself to do it. And without being able to bring myself to use a henna/indigo combination ... I'm feeling a bit stuck. And silly. And a touch (Okay, a LOT) depressed because of how HORRIBLE my hair looks.

...help?

two_wheels
September 27th, 2015, 06:47 AM
First of all, hugs :grouphug:

Would a patch test help put your mind at rest?

You could look into Elumen. It's PPD free and I've seen several LHCers recommend it.

Nique1202
September 27th, 2015, 07:25 AM
A couple of little points:

-If the Manic Panic went green over the red, it would probably serve to neutralize the red and turn brownish rather than actually looking green. Still not ideal, but it may not be the horror show you've built up in your head. Also, it may depend on a number of other factors like how receptive the hair is to the dye, and Manic Panic isn't the only brand of deposit-only dye around.

-Your post is a bit unclear to me. Is it that you have DEVELOPED a PPD allergy, or that you're AFRAID of developing it? Regardless, I'm pretty sure there are PPD free permanent black dyes available. You'd just have to be vigilant about reading the ingredients on the boxes.

Saldana
September 27th, 2015, 07:35 AM
How about using a temporary dye on your hair until enough roots grow out to where you could cut back to a cute, short hairstyle, and then let your natural dark with silvers come in? That way you can get the dye out of your hair. You know now how quickly your hair will grow longer, with all the good hair care you've learned here.

That's what I did. I'd colored my hair for YEARS. I didn't really even know what color it truly was! *lol* It was tailbone length, dyed dark brown. I was really tired of pouring chemicals on my head once a month, and starting to have some odd reactions to the dye. So, what I did was stop coloring and let the roots grow out until they were long enough to support a short cut - then I went and had it cut. Yes, it was a real shock. But now I'm growing and growing, and it's all virgin hair - no color, no heat damage....just hair. I have found it liberating.

spidermom
September 27th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Just do the patch test that is suggested on every dye I've ever seen. Then you'll know exactly what your reaction is going to be.

jera
September 27th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Just do the patch test that is suggested on every dye I've ever seen. Then you'll know exactly what your reaction is going to be.

Definitely. What Spidermom says.
Also, could you dye the whole thing dark brown so that will cover the red until it completely fades/grows out and then, after that happens, dye the whole thing black if that's the color you want? Not all boxed black dyes will turn green.

applecinn
September 27th, 2015, 02:19 PM
If I were in your situation, would take the middle road and spend the $$$ to go to a good salon, one that uses the least harsh chemicals (Aveda as an example) and let them take care of your color. It's technically a color correction at this point and just slapping box dye over box dye and roots can get really wonky.

I do understand the anxiety, I have felt that before too. If you really just want to do it once more to even your color to natural and let it grow, why take the chance of really messing up and making it worse? One more time (with a patch test) and you can put it behind you.

spidermom
September 27th, 2015, 05:53 PM
If I were in your situation, would take the middle road and spend the $$$ to go to a good salon, one that uses the least harsh chemicals (Aveda as an example) and let them take care of your color. It's technically a color correction at this point and just slapping box dye over box dye and roots can get really wonky.

I do understand the anxiety, I have felt that before too. If you really just want to do it once more to even your color to natural and let it grow, why take the chance of really messing up and making it worse? One more time (with a patch test) and you can put it behind you.

That is a very good suggestion.

kittenattack
September 27th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I would go to a colorist and have them blend it with balayage so you can just grow it out and not deal with it anymore.