PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hydrated and Dehydrated Hair

macher
September 26th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I have mid length pretty wavy whurly hair. I try to wash my hair every day. But I'll condition my hair when I think it needs it. What I usually do is refresh my hair by spritzing my hair with water then applying a free frizz mousse.

I've read that glycerin in products could cause hair to become stringy and/or wet when it's not wet. This is a symptom I've been experiencing so I gave up glycerin and searching for protein rich glycerin free products.

My hair has a tendency to get dehydrated easily most likely because I work outside in the elements.

I conditioned my hair Thursday afternoon when I got home from work, applied glycerin free mousse. When my hair dried fluffed out the crunch and my hair was great. Woke up Friday morning refreshed my hair all was good. Had some frizz but was ok. I did notice some dehydration.

Woke up this morning checked out my hair. It did feel some dehydration but figured I would refresh with the spritzing water/mousse. Noticed when my hair was damp started to get a little stringy and didn't feel well hydrated. I applied the mousse anyway.

Feeling is weird. My hair feels dehydrated and it looks wet and it isn't. It's like the mousse didn't leave s cast and is just sitting there type of feeling.

Does anyone think it's because my hair was dehydrated and I put mousse on damp dehydrated hair?

Thanks!

lalepepper
September 26th, 2015, 10:02 AM
That might be it. I'm not an expert in hair hydration, but it would make sense that your hair would be dehydrated if you're washing every day and not following it up with a conditioning treatment. Is there a reason you don't condition after every wash? If I recall correctly, shampoo tends to open up the cuticle of the hair shaft, and conditioning helps smooth it back down, which also helps keep the hair shaft more moisturized than if left open. Regular conditioning might help improve your overall hydration levels and help protect your hair more from the elements. Spraying it with water will only temporarily hydrate it, for as long as it's wet. I wonder whether the repeating wet/dry/damp cycle is contributing to your dryness, especially since your hair shaft might be a bit more vulnerable as it's not being conditioned regularly.

diddiedaisy
September 26th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I would definately consider conditioning with every wash, I think curly hair can get more dehydrated than straight hair as well. You may also want to think about using a bit of aloe Vera gel on wet hair followed a tinybit of oil, this should help keep some hydration in.

macher
September 26th, 2015, 11:21 AM
That might be it. I'm not an expert in hair hydration, but it would make sense that your hair would be dehydrated if you're washing every day and not following it up with a conditioning treatment. Is there a reason you don't condition after every wash? If I recall correctly, shampoo tends to open up the cuticle of the hair shaft, and conditioning helps smooth it back down, which also helps keep the hair shaft more moisturized than if left open. Regular conditioning might help improve your overall hydration levels and help protect your hair more from the elements. Spraying it with water will only temporarily hydrate it, for as long as it's wet. I wonder whether the repeating wet/dry/damp cycle is contributing to your dryness, especially since your hair shaft might be a bit more vulnerable as it's not being conditioned regularly.

Oops a typo. I don't wash everyday.

Dark40
September 26th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I would consider using a conditioner after every wash, and not to use shampoo every single day. I only use shampoo on my hair twice a week. The rest of the week I use only conditioner, and also twice a week I deep condition.

missmelaniem
September 26th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I would condition every wash or alternate with co washing OR some form of CWC (condition wash condition)?

If you use product even without alcohol it can be drying. water alone is hydrating, but you need something to help keep the moisture in.

I have a hard time with this too. My thing is having volume, but I need to be careful about using too much conditioner or too much product.

Maybe a little more experimentation to find the right balance is in order?

macher
September 26th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I would condition every wash or alternate with co washing OR some form of CWC (condition wash condition)?

If you use product even without alcohol it can be drying. water alone is hydrating, but you need something to help keep the moisture in.

I have a hard time with this too. My thing is having volume, but I need to be careful about using too much conditioner or too much product.

Maybe a little more experimentation to find the right balance is in order?

My hair can get whirly and volume but my thing is I don't want too much volume. When I apply mousse I apply it to my hair length wise like I'm grabbing a rope and squish it in.

I don't condition every day more like every 3 days. I probably should condition more often.

Arctic
September 26th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I think adding mousse several times between washings might be the problem. It will likely accumulate, and probably doesn't work so well when used to refresh hair rather than when used on clean hair. Is your mousse alcohol free? If not, it might be also drying.

Have you tried clarifying? You might have some build-up in your hair, which can cause both wet looking hair I think, but also dryness.

I also suggest ramping up your conditioning routine. If you haven't tried already, you could try using just water to refresh your hair, or water and you favourite conditioner mixed together (dilute only enough for one use, otherwise it will spoil quickly). I love using leave-in conditioners, they moisturize and also tame my poofiness. I actually use my regular conditioner instead one that is marketed as a leave-in. Many people like to use aloe vera gel for this purpose too.

MsPharaohMoan
September 26th, 2015, 12:28 PM
"damp dehydrated hair" - this is an oxymoron. If your hair is still dehydrated after exposing it to water, I imagine you have a pretty heavy coating of product on the hair shaft. What other ingredients are in this product? How often do you clarify? What kind of detergents are in your shampoo (sulfate free, etc)?

luxurioushair
September 26th, 2015, 12:58 PM
You really really shouldn't wash your hair everyday, especially if it's curly or Afro, you will dry it out. Try washing it twice or once a week and in-between, just using conditioner if you need to wash it.

jeanniet
September 26th, 2015, 01:53 PM
A lot of mousse tends to be very drying, and builds up, too. I would clarify and do a deep treatment, then condition every time your hair gets wet. Maybe use some leave in, too, or a little curl cream or gel. I never have dryness with gel, but I can't use mousse because it's so drying.

Glycerin is mostly a problem in very low or very high dewpoints. Ideal dews are in the 40s. Under 30 or over 50 can cause issues with humectants.

lapushka
September 26th, 2015, 03:01 PM
If you use protein on your hair, gotta balance it out with moisture treatments. Don't forget! :D

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Are you not conditioning after every wash?

macher
September 26th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Are you not conditioning after every wash?

Yes I condition after every wash. But I don't wash everyday.

Example, wash condition Monday, Tues and Wednesday refresh with water spritz, Thursday wash and condition, Friday and Saturday refresh with water spritz.

yogagirl
September 26th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I'm also wondering if the mousse is doing you more damage than good. Can you post which kind/the brand? We could take a look at the ingredients.

So are you trying to encourage your waves then? If so, how do you handle your hair when it's drying? Have you tried the curly girl method at all? It might help with your frizz issue and you might not need the mousse.

My favorite way to make my hair soft and shiny is damp bunning for 30-60 minutes and then applying a small amount of leave-in conditioner. Works like a charm for my hair and it feels super hydrated after. But it might hurt your wave definition. That really depends on how pronounced your waves are.

missmelaniem
September 26th, 2015, 04:21 PM
My hair can get whirly and volume but my thing is I don't want too much volume. When I apply mousse I apply it to my hair length wise like I'm grabbing a rope and squish it in.

I don't condition every day more like every 3 days. I probably should condition more often.

Oh.. no, I was just saying *my* thing is volume....

What about doing CO washing? You'd just be rinsing the old product out and the condish would help with getting some of that out as well, while adding moisture. Spraying with water and adding product sounds very drying IMO

spidermom
September 26th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Continually getting the hair wet can lead to hygral fatigue. When you get the hair wet, the cuticle lifts. As hair dries, the cuticle goes back down. Eventually the cuticle wears out and won't go down as tightly as before. Of course a lot of people here do get their hair wet or at least mist it every day and it doesn't cause issues for them. I try to minimize the number of times I get my hair wet, however.

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2015, 06:18 PM

Example, wash condition Monday, Tues and Wednesday refresh with water spritz, Thursday wash and condition, Friday and Saturday refresh with water spritz.

Ah okay. How about using a leave-in conditioner prior to the mousse?

sarahthegemini
September 26th, 2015, 06:20 PM
If you use protein on your hair, gotta balance it out with moisture treatments. Don't forget! :D

Just have to point out this isn't necessarily true - I use a protein heavy leave-in conditioner after every wash, my hair isn't damaged and thrives on lots of protein.

lapushka
September 27th, 2015, 04:32 AM
Just have to point out this isn't necessarily true - I use a protein heavy leave-in conditioner after every wash, my hair isn't damaged and thrives on lots of protein.

Yes, but that may be because your hair *loves* protein. My hair doesn't thrive on it and actually kinda can't handle it well, so moisture is key for me!

Doesn't your hair get a little brittle after using the protein time and time again, or do you do moisture once in a while?

sarahthegemini
September 27th, 2015, 05:09 AM
Yes, but that may be because your hair *loves* protein. My hair doesn't thrive on it and actually kinda can't handle it well, so moisture is key for me!

Doesn't your hair get a little brittle after using the protein time and time again, or do you do moisture once in a while?

Yeah, my hair absolutely loves protein - I've never had to do a (non protein) moisture treatment! :D

lapushka
September 27th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Yeah, my hair absolutely loves protein - I've never had to do a (non protein) moisture treatment! :D

WOW, that is amazing. If I did that, I think my hair would snap off and get crunchy/dry.

macher
September 27th, 2015, 10:49 AM
WOW, that is amazing. If I did that, I think my hair would snap off and get crunchy/dry.

I did a protein treatment for the first time this morning. I must have did an overdose cause I used a lot of condish. My hair got pretty soft, feels like it's over moisturized.

lapushka
September 27th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I did a protein treatment for the first time this morning. I must have did an overdose cause I used a lot of condish. My hair got pretty soft, feels like it's over moisturized.

Soft? Just that? Soft is good. What do you mean with "feels like it's over moisturized"?

meteor
September 27th, 2015, 04:12 PM
You mention that you work outside, in the elements... I think it's important to know relative humidity & dew points if you are using humectants (like glycerine that you mentioned). The thing with humectants is that they attract moisture, so if the air is humid, humectants will "draw" moisture from air to hair, but if the air is super dry, humectants can exacerbate the dry feeling by drawing moisture from the hair, rather than from the air.

Water spritz can be good, but if you are working in windy or sunny or dry conditions, the water (without conditioners, oils, etc) can just evaporate quickly, so the important thing is to "seal in" that moisture with something like an oil or silicone serum or conditioner rich in fatty acids, just to create a permeable barrier/protection.

How about using a leave-in conditioner prior to the mousse?

Definitely a good idea. In fact, I'd go as far as suggest LOC routine (liquid + oil + cream conditioner) or "sealing in" moisture with oil & leave-in conditioner.

Generally speaking, applying mousse every day for a few days without clarifying can create some dryness problems... of course, it depends on the ingredients, but I think some strong-hold mousses (and other strong-hold styling products) can have a drying effect, so I would try not to use them too much or too frequently without clarifying. :flower:

For working outside, I'd highly recommend UV buffs or sunhats or any head covering, preferably made with UPF-rated materials. Both UVA and UVB rays are a pretty serious source of damage for hair, and excessive dryness is a pretty typical symptom of sun-damaged hair.

Some studies on this:
Hair color changes and protein damage caused by ultraviolet radiation. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15157906
UV damage of the hair. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19138021
Comparison of hair shaft damage after UVA and UVB irradiation. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408872
About photo-damage of human hair. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16465301