PDA

View Full Version : Question about clarifying

plainjanegirl
October 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I tried to clarify mixing some what was baking soda or powder ( I don't remember which ....I had read it on here) mixed with my shampoo to clarify but afterwards my hair didn't feel any better. And this was a few weeks ago.

So I was thinking of clarifying again but maybe buying a cheap clarifying shampoo (like suave or vo5) but my question is do you have to buy a clarifying conditioner too to properly get the hair clarifyed of cones , gel, etc.?

If you want more background take a look at my blog.

burns_erin
October 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Personally I tend to favor nice commercial Herbal Essences Degunkify. i never had much luck with more natural clarifiers. I am crazy natural with almost everything else in my life, but clarifying I just go with the commercial. I do not believe this even has a corresponding conditioner. I would think as long as you keep away from a coney conditioner it does not really matter what you use. i use the same Giovanni conditioner regardless of what i have shampooed my hair with.

heidi w.
October 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM
If you used Baking POWDER you used the wrong thing. Baking SODA is the ingredient if you choose this home recipe. ALSO, after any clarify shampoo with a homemade recipe (whether Baking SODA or other ingredient combo) OR a store bought shampoo that is a clarifying shampoo, be sure the condition extremely well.

IT'S VITAL TO CONDITION WELL AFTER ANY TYPE OF CLARIFY HAIR WASH METHOD.

Use fairly warm water. Too tepid and you won't get as good of results.

heidi w.

Elphie
October 8th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I don't bother with a clarifying shampoo. Every three weeks or so, I use Suave's Clarifying conditioner in the same way you would co, followed by a light application of Nexxus Humectress.

Anje
October 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I tend to just use a clarifying shampoo (but given how little buildup I get from my cone-free routine, any sulfate shampoo would do the trick). There's no need to get a "clarifying conditioner" -- it's just a conditioner that the manufacturer pairs with the shampoo so you'll buy both. Ideally, it would be quite moisturizing and unlikely to build up, but there's nothing in the conditioner that will clarify your hair. That's the responsibility of the detergents in the shampoo.

Like Heidi says, though, you definitely want to condition your hair well (at least leave your regular conditioner in for a few minutes extra) after clarifying. Your hair will be stripped without it, and it may have the scales left standing up, especially if you use baking soda.

angelthadiva
October 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I'll share with you what I did on Sunday PM.

I beat 2 farm fresh eggs in a bowl, added some lemon juice and about 2T of V05 Kiwi Lime Clarify and about 4T of Baking Soda (not Powder) and added some water...Stuff started a'bubblin' so I quickly headed to the shower...It looked like a science experiment :lol:

I flipped my already completely detangled hair over and massaged my mixture into my hair very well, then rinsed out completly and followed up with an ACV rinse. I did condition well, but for the life of me I can't remember if I did another wash?! :confused:

I do know that I had the water a wee bit too hot, which cooked the egg a wee bit more than I had planned.

BUT, my hair looks and feels great...It had previously felt slimy. It wasn't, but it seemed like it to me.

Carolyn
October 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
My understanding of clarifying conditioners is the same as Anje's. The conditioner is just made to go along with the clarifying shampoo. I know several lines do have conditioners that go with their clarifying poo's. It's either done to get you to buy another conditioner (marketing ploy) or they are truly rich moisturizing conditoners made to put the moisture back in the hair. If you want a good clarifyin poo, try Suave Clarifying. It's cheap. About a buck. And it works well. I found the baking soda deal to be too drying. I don't use any leave in's except for oil and I use cones sparingly so I don't get a ton of build up like I did when I was using heavy cone conditioners and leave ins.

Buddaphlyy
October 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I never understood the baking soda thing and plus I was scared, so I just usually use a clarifying shampoo. I use Suave Daily clarifying, but I have found some V05 shampoos make my hair feel the same, so I use those also.

jojo
October 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Baking soda dries my hair out terribly so i use treseme's claryfying shampoo when needed, I dont have a set routine in doing this, just normally when it feels blah and yes lots of conditioner especially if using baking soda.

Kirin
October 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Do NOT use Suave clarifying shampoo. it containes Dimithicone which is defeating the purpose of clarifying your hair.

Depending on what you are using, even cone free stuff can build up, many conditioners contain waxes (even natural ones) and oils that will over time build up on the hair. It is a good idea to clarify once in a while.

Clarifying conditioners, like V05 Kiwi lime are actually extremely light conditioners (not heavy moisture) to keep with the light clean feeling of clarified hair. Its one of the reasons its very well suited to CO washing. With a commercial clarifying shampoo, baking soda in it is not nessesary.

plainjanegirl
October 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Do NOT use Suave clarifying shampoo. it containes Dimithicone which is defeating the purpose of clarifying your hair.

Depending on what you are using, even cone free stuff can build up, many conditioners contain waxes (even natural ones) and oils that will over time build up on the hair. It is a good idea to clarify once in a while.

Clarifying conditioners, like V05 Kiwi lime are actually extremely light conditioners (not heavy moisture) to keep with the light clean feeling of clarified hair. Its one of the reasons its very well suited to CO washing. With a commercial clarifying shampoo, baking soda in it is not nessesary.

I already got the Suave clarifying shampoo today.
I hope it works for me.

Arctic_Mama
October 10th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hmm... check the ingredients, I have a suave shampoo and there's NO cones in it at all. It should work well for you, that stuff can strip PAINT, I swear :)

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Hypnotica
October 10th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I use a dab of ordinary schampoo and a spash och baking soda mixed wit water in bowl, then dunk my lenght down a couple of times. I stop when the hair seems to cling together and getting hard to finger detangle.

brok3nwings
October 10th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I also get confused about clarifying...i thought that the use of sulfats would be enough... what ingredients does the clarifying shampoo has that the others dont? Hmm...
I actually dont usually remember to clarify but is true that after a while the hair seams to get greasier ...Hmm...
can i make a different question in this thread (i think its unnecessary to start another one..) ?! I started using Nizoral and normally it is a very drying shampoo, i know that drying doesnt necessary means that it is cleaning your hair, but do you think that would avoid me using clarifying shampoo´s for a while? ...
Sorry for the intrumission :o

Dolly
October 13th, 2008, 04:50 AM

I use Suave clarifying shampoo, and it works very well. The dimethicone that it contains is dimethicone copolyl, which is supposed to be a water-soluble cone.

heidi w.
October 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I also get confused about clarifying...i thought that the use of sulfats would be enough... what ingredients does the clarifying shampoo has that the others dont? Hmm...
I actually dont usually remember to clarify but is true that after a while the hair seams to get greasier ...Hmm...
can i make a different question in this thread (i think its unnecessary to start another one..) ?! I started using Nizoral and normally it is a very drying shampoo, i know that drying doesnt necessary means that it is cleaning your hair, but do you think that would avoid me using clarifying shampoo´s for a while? ...
Sorry for the intrumission :o

NIZORAL shampoo is a shampoo intended for a set variety of scalp skin conditions such as a nasty case of dandruff -- known as seborrheic dermatitus. This is one shampoo I would NOT use as a base for creating a home made recipe for clarifying (such as with BAKING SODA).

NIZORAL shampoo should not be drying at all. This is one of the shampoos that doesn't do that. If anything, the top of the head hair will actually become a bit more sebum-y faster than with other shampoos.

Many who have your basic garden-variety dandruff are having good results with Head & Shoulders, which seems in more recent years, to have been reformulated somehow.

NIZORAL should be rubbed between the palms and applied to VERY WET hair. You then wash the hair. It doesn't quite foam as much as one might be used to with an average shampoo. It's important to leave this shampoo on the head for a little bit. Do not rinse out quite as immediately as one can with shampoo.

Do rinse very well and DO condition the length.

IF you have a scalp skin condition, generally, it's NOT a good idea to apply conditioner to the scalp skin and thus the closely associated hair.

Dandruff is an issue of sebum production and fast skin cell sloughing. One can have flakes resulting from dry scalp skin but this isn't then dandruff even if it LOOKS LIKE dandruff. In other words, yes, flakes are a symptom of dandruff, yet not ALL flakes ARE dandruff.

ANY METHOD FOR A CLARIFY HAIR WASH SHOULD INCLUDE A VERY THOROUGH CONDITIONING SESSION AS PART OF THE PROCESS. Clarifying means to remove everything that's on the surface of hair which means any applied moisture elements are stripped off. Thus, one MUST REPLACE WHAT'S BEEN REMOVED.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM
One does NOT clarify just because the top of the hair is a bit greasier. One clarifies on an AS-NEEDED BASIS. When the buildup means you have more than usual tangles; when the hair feels a bit crunchy; when the hair after a fresh wash STILL is gunky, with a feeling a film on it.

REMEMBER, CONDITION WELL!
heidi w.

heidi w.
October 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM
This is a link to another thread running right now on the MANE FORUM about clarifying.

It has complete instructions in it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=299746

heidi w.