PDA

View Full Version : I return!

Becky9679
September 24th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Wow it's been a long time since I signed in, nearly two years!

Around the time I stopped coming on here regularly I was wanting to curb my internet usage a bit and as I'd decided that my haircare regime was working I'd taken on a bit of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, and I wasn't really looking up anything new. One day I realised I hadn't been on here for months.

So anyway I just signed in to see if my old profile was still accessible, and lo and behold, there it was.

In terms of my hair, the biggest development is that I've done that thing that I always thought I'd never do, and had it cut again. At the time it seemed like I'd got to a point where I just wasn't enjoying my hair much anymore. It was mostly getting on my nerves rather than making me happy. I think I was virtually at terminal (roundabout classic length) so I didn't even have the excitement of new growth every month - I hadn't noticed any change in the length for about a year.

However, although I was a little bored with my hair, I didn't decide that I just wanted to be rid of it until December last year. I was unfortunately suffering from an acute period of anxiety (thankfully I seem to have fully recovered from this) and one day I thought "I can't deal with this hair while I'm feeling so bad" and had it cut off. I raised £160 for charity in the process and donated the hair to a wig charity, something else which I always swore I'd never do.

I'm now slowly coming back around to the idea that I want to grow it again. I really can't be bothered with the upkeep of a short hairstyle (going to the hairdresser every month to get it tidied up, having to style it every day, all that rubbish) and I do miss the days when I could just throw it up in a bun and that was it. Short hair (unless it's *really* short) is a hell of a lot more annoying than long, because unless you're willing to use a ton of product it'll constantly be in your eyes. Thankfully mine has now just reached a point where I can put it in a ponytail (more of a pony nub) again.

I'm also in two minds about whether to continue dyeing it. The first couple of times I dyed it after cutting it off I used chemical dye, and if I'm growing long again I want to be completely rid of that, so regardless of what my final decision ends up being I'm dye free for now. Currently I have maybe 5 or 6 inches of natural roots.

My length is now as you see in my avatar and profile pictures (not too clear I know; my ends are just touching my shoulders). I don't know that I'll necessarily want to grow it as long as it was before, but I'd definitely like it longer than it is now!

So, that's everything hair-related since I've last been around here. I'm not as gung-ho about hair as I used to be and I don't know how active I'll be on the forum in the future, but at the very least people who remember me will be reassured that I've not fallen off the face of the earth!

yogagirl
September 24th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I wasn't around back then, but anyhow. Welcome back! :grouphug:

I'm glad you were able to cut your hair when it felt right and even do some good at the same time (charity). Do you know how long you want to grow this time around?

hennalonghair
September 24th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Gosh that is quite the lengthy healthy braid but welcome back and may all your hair wishes come true:magic:

Sterlyn
September 24th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I remember you :), welcome back.

I really understand the need to change things up sometimes. *shrugs* Hair grows, I found for myself that many times the journey is just as much fun as getting to the goal.

ETA: I used to love seeing your length shots and watching your progress. Gave me motivation to keep growing back when I felt like I didn't have much hair and I felt it would never grow :p

rowie
September 24th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Welcome back!!! :flowers: I definitely remember you! I remember you had just bought your silver primavera and a couple of other toys. I remember back then I love your interesting taste for hair toys and bought the same ones you bought like the silver primavera. Hopefully you kept some toys to help you with growing your hair. I also remember you from that thread of granting one's wish but at the same time giving a consequence. Hahahaha those were the days. I hope all is well with you! :flower:

Groovy Granny
September 24th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Nice to meet you :)
Wow that was an amazing braid; gorgeous color and shine!
Good for you doing all you did with it!
Happy growing ~

Chocowalnut
September 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM
That's a beautiful braid. Good luck growing it out again

cadencesday
September 24th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Welcome Back!!

lapushka
September 25th, 2015, 02:48 AM
I'm now slowly coming back around to the idea that I want to grow it again. I really can't be bothered with the upkeep of a short hairstyle (going to the hairdresser every month to get it tidied up, having to style it every day, all that rubbish) and I do miss the days when I could just throw it up in a bun and that was it. Short hair (unless it's *really* short) is a hell of a lot more annoying than long, because unless you're willing to use a ton of product it'll constantly be in your eyes.

QFT, quoted for truth! Short hair is a *mess* to try and control.

Welcome back, and happy growing!

luvlonghair75
September 25th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Wow, that is a beautiful braid! Welcome back!

cathair
September 25th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Have missed your pics, welcome back :)

Becky9679
September 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks for welcoming me back everyone!

I wasn't around back then, but anyhow. Welcome back! :grouphug:

I'm glad you were able to cut your hair when it felt right and even do some good at the same time (charity). Do you know how long you want to grow this time around?

Not entirely sure about the length, right now I just want to be able to put it up easily! I seem to remember waist being a good trade-off between a decent amount of length and manageability, but you never know, I may get bitten by the bug again and want to go to terminal once more. It only took me three years last time, (though I was starting from APL then). I'm a fast grower and non-trimmer ;)

Welcome back!!! :flowers: I definitely remember you! I remember you had just bought your silver primavera and a couple of other toys. I remember back then I love your interesting taste for hair toys and bought the same ones you bought like the silver primavera. Hopefully you kept some toys to help you with growing your hair. I also remember you from that thread of granting one's wish but at the same time giving a consequence. Hahahaha those were the days. I hope all is well with you! :flower:

Funny story about that silver primavera - I decided to sell it earlier this year as although it was beautiful I rarely wore it even while my hair was long, I found it a little uncomfortable. So I put it on ebay hoping to break even with the price I originally bought it for... and it ended up selling for £190. I couldn't believe it! Is the primavera collectible now or something???

jera
September 25th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Welcome back and happy growing!

KarpatiiSiv
September 25th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I also remember you and your posts. :waving: Welcome back and enjoy the growing journey again.:D

Roseate
September 25th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Hey, welcome back! I've just started poking back around myself, after a couple years "off" and a similar cut. I'm also back at shoulder, look forward to seeing your progress!

rowie
September 25th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Funny story about that silver primavera - I decided to sell it earlier this year as although it was beautiful I rarely wore it even while my hair was long, I found it a little uncomfortable. So I put it on ebay hoping to break even with the price I originally bought it for... and it ended up selling for £190. I couldn't believe it! Is the primavera collectible now or something???

Yeah, unfortunately the primavera collections have been permanently discontinued as of now. So many people on the Ficcare Facebook have indicated the desire for that collection, but unfortunately Ficcare has mentioned that they are trying to push forward with newer designs even though it seems many want the return of older collections. A lot of the newer designs like the acetate clips for example, is not so popular with people from hair boards as it seems (maybe different for the general non lhc public???).

Ficcare did reissued the lotus collections and silky collections. The rest like the borders, retro, curvy, etc... are gone including the other non maximas models (except the ficcarissimo, but the new version only comes in sizes small and medium, and now they do not have teeth). I'm glad you got a really good price for it. :thumbsup: That must of felt good and exciting!!

Still, it's nice you get to explore hair toys again, but in a newer light.

Becky9679
September 26th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Still, it's nice you get to explore hair toys again, but in a newer light.

Yup, previously I'd tried various things (ficcare, flexi-8, forks) but I find nothing quite so comfortable as sticks. A simple single stick bun was always my favourite way to put up my hair, no fuss, no fiddling.

I'm definitely committed to regrowing now, today in town I saw this Orcrist letter opener and my immediate thought was "HAIRSTICK!!!". So I asked my husband to get it for me for my birthday in a couple of months. I won't be able to wear it for quite a while but it's something to work towards.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W93siEwf6SY/UfpsKJndTeI/AAAAAAAAA60/i92CxjS4bAc/s1600/tn_orcrist+letter+opener+sword+hobbit+(2).JPG

Becky9679
September 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
BTW, I didn't have a picture when I started this thread but have just taken one. This is my current length and root-regrowth. A little kinked from being scraped up into my meager ponytail!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19169&d=1443281141

cat11
September 26th, 2015, 12:14 PM
You were one of my original hair inspirations :D

Glad to see you around although I mostly read older posts of yours from before I was here. Your hair is gorgeous. When it was long, did you do henndigo?

Becky9679
September 26th, 2015, 05:29 PM
You were one of my original hair inspirations :D

Glad to see you around although I mostly read older posts of yours from before I was here. Your hair is gorgeous. When it was long, did you do henndigo?

Aww, that's nice of you!

I certainly did use two step henndigo, I still have the method of how I did it in one of my blog posts. Henndigo was the best dye ever but a pain in the backside to do! If I do decide to start dyeing again it's the only one I'd consider using.

RavennaNight
September 27th, 2015, 03:05 AM
BTW, I didn't have a picture when I started this thread but have just taken one. This is my current length and root-regrowth. A little kinked from being scraped up into my meager ponytail!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19169&d=1443281141

Welcome back! :waving: I see your natural color there, it's quite beautiful! I also use the hennindigo to make it black, but that might be changing. All the best on your new journey! :)

Becky9679
September 27th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Welcome back! :waving: I see your natural color there, it's quite beautiful! I also use the hennindigo to make it black, but that might be changing. All the best on your new journey! :)

Hi there, I remember you well! In fact I based my own method of how to dye using henndigo on your blog, since I loved the colour you achieved and your instructions were so clear ;)

I've just had a look at your recent blog posts about possibly giving up the dye. It's an odd one for me too, I first started dyeing my hair black when I was about 17 and had it black solidly up to my mid 20s. I then went through a brief period of natural colour before beginning to dye it again, so like you I haven't seen much of my natural colour for most of my adult life!

I do like my natural colour though. It's very changeable depending on lighting and time of the year (it's very susceptible to sun bleaching) and can appear to be anything from mid-brown to light blonde. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what I look like with all natural virgin hair again. I may decide to start dyeing it again, though maybe a different colour (the idea of a dark henna red or red-brown is quite appealing) but I want to get rid of all the colour I currently have first and start with a clean slate.

Good luck on your own dye-free journey, if it's the road you decide to take!

cat11
September 27th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Aww, that's nice of you!

I certainly did use two step henndigo, I still have the method of how I did it in one of my blog posts. Henndigo was the best dye ever but a pain in the backside to do! If I do decide to start dyeing again it's the only one I'd consider using.

Thanks for the info! My original goal was waist/hip length black hair so I'm really interested in henndigo as a way to get that without the damage of conventional dye. :) And yours looks so black so Ill definately look for that recipe.

I first started dyeing my hair black when I was about 17 and had it black solidly up to my mid 20s. I then went through a brief period of natural colour before beginning to dye it again, so like you I haven't seen much of my natural colour for most of my adult life!

I'm also in the same boat. Im still growing out dyed ends and I want to see what I look like with all of my natural color before I start thinking of going back to black.. but I just like black lol. Im thinking of waiting until I start to get greys and using that as my excuse. My mom got some greys in her 20s so it could be sooner than later....Ill do it then, at the least.