PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you have split ends?

LauraAlaina
September 23rd, 2015, 03:16 PM
Do you bite the bullet and trim them off totally?
Do you ignore them and hope they'll go away (like me haha)
Do you microtrim and get rid of them slowly?

I'm at APL and I have SO MANY split ends (the kind that oil won't help! mostly old bleach damage)
I'm considering cutting a good 2 inches off just to get a solid hemline but then i'll be SO FAR AWAY from my goal length...

*sigh*

Frankenstein
September 23rd, 2015, 03:22 PM
I just ignore them til it's time for my next trim, which I do every 3 months or so. If you don't want to be so far from your goal, I'd microtrim :)

divinedobbie
September 23rd, 2015, 03:23 PM
I just leave them be. I used to trim constantly and no matter how often or how much I cut, they would always come back and I went backwards in gaining length. I have split ends, but I also have long hair and that's okay.

lillielil
September 23rd, 2015, 03:25 PM
I do something so much worse: I bite them off. I usually see them when I am driving and have my hair down, so I will wait until I'm at a stop and then bite them off one hair at a time. I'm trying to fix that horrible habit by A) always putting my hair up when I am driving and B) just not doing it because it is completely disgusting. I also just bought some tiny scissors that I can keep with me to trim as needed and I plan on doing a good S&D soon.

I have layers and bleach damage, so if I trimmed off all the splits I would probably be bald.

cathair
September 23rd, 2015, 03:50 PM
I S&D them off. If I don't, the end will get to the point there I can't separate them without damaging them more.

You probably need to weigh up the damage you have vs potential extra damage from them catching on each other when you are de-tangling them. If you can cope, it's probably alright. If they are so velcro like that you have problems, you are probably better off having an S&D session or trimming a bit. If you want a blunt, solid hemline, probably trimming them off it better. If you want to retain length then S&D is better.

Elly May
September 23rd, 2015, 04:43 PM
I can't stand them. I have very few at this point but I S&D as needed. If I had a lot, I would rather lose the length than see splits, but that is just me and my hangup.

burny
September 23rd, 2015, 04:52 PM
depending on how lazy I am, and the amount(and/or length) of damage: either fully trim them out, or micro trim and S&D, or just S&D.

meteor
September 23rd, 2015, 04:57 PM
Personally, I would just get a trim, but that's just because getting split ends is pretty unusual for me. If I got them very frequently, I would probably just S&D (snip each split individually) or go for regular micro-trims.

The biggest thing with split ends I would recommend is to really analyze in minute detail the routine, the products and especially daily handling/grooming. Even if the hair is damaged, there are things that can be done to limit split end formation.

I'm at APL and I have SO MANY split ends (the kind that oil won't help! mostly old bleach damage)
I'm considering cutting a good 2 inches off just to get a solid hemline but then i'll be SO FAR AWAY from my goal length...

*sigh*

I'm assuming you are already doing things like oiling with penetrating oils (e.g. coconut, palm, olive...) and hydrolyzed protein treatments and regular moisturizing treatments?
If not, you might want to consider introducing them. :) One thing that I think is sometimes overlooked is combing/brushing/daily styling... It needs to be extra-gentle on damaged hair. Is there anything you can do to make your daily styling as gentle and as low-manipulation as possible? For example, the thing that made a *huge* difference for me was to ditch brushing and use only a wide-tooth comb. I used to get lots of split ends at APL-MBL when I brushed roughly (and had lots of highlights). Now, at upper-thigh, I haven't seen a single split in years, and I'm still nursing those same highlights at the ends. Another thing that I think was a game changer was to keep hair contained in braid/bun almost all the time, to prevent extra wear & tear.
(After reading more research into the effects of combing and brushing on hair and damage, I'm *a lot* more careful with detangling, for sure! :D For example, this study is really good: among other things, it shows how much more protein loss happens when combing chemically treated hair - A simple and sensitive method using protein loss measurement to evaluate damage to human hair during combing. - http://beauty-review.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/A-simple-and-sensitive-method-using-protein-loss-measurement-to-evaluate-damage-to-human-hair-during-combing.pdf)

Also, there are some products (e.g. Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Split End Mender, Tresemme Split Remedy Conditioner...) with PEC technology (polyelectrolyte complex), which consists of a negatively charged ion (PVM/MA copolymer) and a positively charged ion (Polyquaternium-28.) This combination of positive and negative charges creates a single complex with the ability to stick to damaged hairs and to itself: http://thebeautybrains.com/2012/02/hair-repair-new-technology-really-works/ It might be worth checking out, but nothing can permanently fix split ends, except for trims and prevention of damage. HTH! :flower:

sarahthegemini
September 24th, 2015, 02:50 AM
I can't see any split ends on me, but if I did, and it was more than just a few, I'd trim. No S&D'ing for me, my hair is already thin!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 24th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I S & D them but I don't get many, maybe a couple a year?

Nique1202
September 24th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I find about 3-5 split ends every week, and I just snip them out. I think if it looked like a large portion of my hair had split ends, I'd microtrim until I got past whatever damage caused them, and make sure not to repeat that damage later on.

Marika
September 24th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I do all the options mentioned and I still have tons of split ends :violin:

That's why I'm now pretty much just ignoring them because bigger trims (biggest was tbl to shoulder), microtrimming and S&D haven't really helped. And yes, my hair-cutting scissors are sharp and it has happened even after professional trims. Microtrimming has helped to make my ends look thicker whereas S&D makes my hair thinner. So, even though I still get the splits, I'm a big fan of mictrotrimming and do it every 1-2 months, sometimes even more often :)

maria_asa
September 24th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I S&D them when I find them and I find it really, really annoying if I find one when I don't have my hair scissors with me (which fortunately is very rare since I almost never have my hair down if I'm not at home).

missmelaniem
September 24th, 2015, 07:26 AM
If it were me I would oil... condition... wear my hair up... anything to keep them from splitting more and micro trim at one or two month intervals. I personally wouldnt take off 2 inches. Really get down to babying your hair as much as humanly possible... you may already be doing this but just throwing that out there. I'd avoid cutting at all costs

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I S&D for sure. If ALL of your ends are damaged, I would say do a normal trim, just enough to take care of them... If the damage is scattered... dedicate a little time here and there to S&D until it starts look better... May take awhile, but it works, lol.

lapushka
September 24th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Currently I have no splits (that I know of). I don't super-examine my hair. Sometimes I casually look, but that's it. So I just assume I have none. I never encounter any while detangling anyhow. But if I did, I'd S&D them.

ravenreed
September 24th, 2015, 12:14 PM
I am pretty aggressive about dealing with split ends. For one thing, they poke me and make me itchy. Also, they increase tangles and lead to more split ends. I used to get a lot more, bow I don't see them that often unless it is time for a trim. I S&D regularly anyway, and trim when needed. Catnip rinses have really reduced my split end numbers considerably. I get a lot more single strand knots though!

Alex Lou
September 24th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I had really bad splits from bleach damage. Overall my hair has recovered remarkably in a way I never thought it would over the course of a year. I did do some S&D but definitely not enough to get rid of them all. I think the really damaged strands just broke off on their own eventually and the healthy ones kept growing. To keep them off my mind so I wouldn't be tempted to cut my hair, I'd saturate my ends with silicones after each wash. My hair is past waist now and I definitely still notice damage but other people remark that my hair looks so healthy, lol.

jackie_kate
September 24th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I S&D as well! I haven't been finding that many since I started really taking good care of my hair. I also do micro trims every now and them which I think takes care of most of them. If I don't trim the split ends, it moves quickly up my fine hair.

Jadestorm
October 12th, 2015, 03:14 AM
Nothing anymore. I used to S&D but it thinned out my hair a lot. I do trim my hair regularly, but I have splits higher up too and just leave them as I'm not about to cut all the hair off up to where there are no splits at all.

Zesty
October 12th, 2015, 05:08 AM
S&D. I dislike trimming. But I've never had enough splits that I really felt like S&D would make my hair thinner; if I did I might consider regular trims. More likely though I'd just get obsessive about S&D, because that's how I do.

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 07:46 AM
My hair is not prone to splits. If I see one I snip it off. However I can't really S&D anymore because it's a trichotillomania trigger to me, but I try to glance my ends regularly to see how they look. I also take macro photos of my ends, these show really well the condition!

Anje
October 12th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I S&D mine. They rarely form at my hemline, so nothing short of a drastic cut would rid me of many of them. I also try to have realistic goals about splits. My hair will always have some, but if I can keep it to less that 2% of the hairs having a split, I'm happy. (That used to be 10%. With time and care it's gone down a lot.)

Deborah
October 12th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Since they are from bleach damage, I think it would be best to trim them off. An inch or two should help a lot, and it's not much to lose in order to gain nice healthy ends.

TatsuOni
October 12th, 2015, 11:45 AM
S&D. Twice a year I also trim my hair about 1 cm.

ravenreed
October 12th, 2015, 06:19 PM
If there are a few, I S&D. If there are more than ~ 20% of my hair having them, I trim and then S&D what ever the trim didn't remove. That doesn't happen much anymore though, unless I try a new product that my hair really hates or I have been neglecting the S&D sessions.

AutobotsAttack
October 12th, 2015, 11:30 PM
I forgot if I commented here already, but anyways, I just honestly baby them while at the same time ignoring them once I bun them up, they actually just break off after a while, but they do it so slowly and incognito that I cant even tell and it doesn't even effect my length, although one side will sometimes be longer than the other but it just evens out after a while anyways.

Chromis
October 13th, 2015, 07:07 AM
At APL, I would advocate babying the ends for a while longer. I think loose hair is at more risk than splitty hair for additional damage. Let it get a little past whatever length you can do a few updos with and then do some micro trims. When I was growing mine out, I grew out one or two inches past a body marker. Then I could trim and still be at a minigoal. More mental than anything, but I found it discouraging to say, finally get to waist only to then cut back and have to get there again.

S&D might be a little hard with shorter hair, but as it grows out, I tend to use that to keep them under better control since most of mine are not right at the hemline. With old damage, you will need to trim that out, but with a little patience it should be gone before you know it now that are aren't bleaching it.

Horrorpops
October 13th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I think I fit in with the general consensus where I will S&D if I see any random splits but would trim if my ends got too thin or there seemed to be more splits than I could remove individually.

I also agree that once you can get hair up into buns and braids its a much smoother process so I would be inclined to baby my ends and S&D at APL.

However I know how frustrating the splits from bleach damage can be so I can also understand trimming a good 2 inches and removing the worst of it all.

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I too have old bleach and dye Damage and splits are a problem. I usually try to ignore them but I recently got on the microtrimming bandwagon (for thicker ends and I guess a better hemline) and I think I will do that every month to two months. I also do a good s&d every once in a while when I noticed a lot.