PDA

View Full Version : Is keeping your hair down most of the time really that damaging?

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
So, from what I read it seems like most of you lovelies swear by wearing your hair up most of the time to protect the ends, etc. Which definitely makes sense to me. But my problem is, I prefer to wear my hair down most of the time...:shrug: I have a desk job, not doing anything too crazy Monday - Friday, so I can't imagine I'm doing much damage just sitting here, although I hear it can cause damage just by rubbing on your clothes? shudder:
I do always put it up if I'm out in the wind, or driving with the windows down... anything that is causing it to blow around basically, etc. But other than that, on a normal day it is down and exposed.

What is everyone's take on this subject? :confused:

Arctic
September 23rd, 2015, 01:51 PM
Chair backs can cause lot of damage if hair is down when sitting.

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM
Arctic,

Yikes!!
Thankfully I am short, so in order to reach the chair foot support thing on my swivel chair I have to sit far enough away from the back for that to not be an issue, LOL.

gustavonut
September 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM
I say do what you want really. If you feel you don't get damage from leaving it down then it's alright. I leave my hair down all the time. Not really when I go out anymore but, whenever I feel it won't be blown around and rubbed against all day, then I leave it down. :) and man if you've made it this far already by doing that then it's a-okay. :D

Sarahlabyrinth
September 23rd, 2015, 01:55 PM
I think wearing it down can cause a lot of damage. The hair rubs against chair backs, purse straps, the hairs rub each other freely and tangle (guess they are too "attached" to each other, lol), rubbing on clothes, generally getting caught on things...

On the other hand, you have your hair long and wear it loose because that's how you like it. You should enjoy your hair, and if you feel you have to wear it down to enjoy it, then go ahead. The only way to prevent all hair damage is to be dead, so just being alive produces hair damage.

Enjoy your hair :)

I don't wear mine down often because I want it very long and want to protect it as much as possible, but that's just me.

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
I say do what you want really. If you feel you don't get damage from leaving it down then it's alright. I leave my hair down all the time. Not really when I go out anymore but, whenever I feel it won't be blown around and rubbed against all day, then I leave it down. :) and man if you've made it this far already by doing that then it's a-okay. :D

Thank you, gustavonut :)

Nini
September 23rd, 2015, 02:02 PM
That depends on your hair. Some can take it, some can't.

I couldn't grow as long as I have if I didn't braid it or put it up. Plus it'd be in my way all the time;) And it tangles just by thinking about it, so it doesn't look very neat:D

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM
Sarahlabyrinth,

I definitely agree with all of that! If I ever feel like there might be a "damaging situation" I always make sure it's out of the way and up. So I guess I'm doing alright. :) Thank you for your response :) You have beautiful hair! Hair definitely should be enjoyed, whether that means up or down. :)

Nique1202
September 23rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
It's commonly said around here that if you're only growing to waist, hip, even tailbone, then you can usually get away with one choice out of chemical dye, heat styling, or wearing it down, without it looking ragged and damaged at the bottom hemline at the end. That seems to be the pattern for most of us, anyway.

Wearing your hair down is absolutely damaging, over long periods of time. Consider, hair at waist length is perhaps two, three, four years old depending on your height and growth rate. Hair's protein is pretty strong, but even sharp knives get worn down and should be sharpened a couple of times a year or more if you use them often, because friction rubs molecules off the outside. So yes, if you plan to grow long, then you do want to look to be careful of how much your hair is rubbing against things, especially things with rougher textures on the outside like a lot of clothes, car seats, etc. as well as getting caught either between you and other objects (bra straps, purse handles, seatbelts, backpack straps, chairs, etc.) or getting caught on or in other objects (on one windy day recently, my hair almost got caught in the door of a car as I climbed out and closed it behind me).

One time of using a straightener while using precautions won't cause a significant amount of damage, but using it every day will. The same goes for wearing your hair down. For some people, it's hardly a bother until well past classic. For some people, it means a false terminal length anywhere from midback on down. If you're near your goal and you don't see any significant damage on your ends, then well done, your hair may be resistant to friction damage up to that point. If you decide to grow longer and suddenly your ends start to look ragged and not respond to your usual treatments, then you'll have to consider your options.

I don't want this to sound like some big scary thing, it's not like you're a bad person for feeling more comfortable with your hair down. And, LOTS of people only grow their hair out to a length they can wear it down comfortably every day and still have it look good. It's about balancing your desires with your hair's needs and resilience, and if the two meet then that's awesome. It's only when they don't match up that you end up with a problem.

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
That depends on your hair. Some can take it, some can't.

I couldn't grow as long as I have if I didn't braid it or put it up. Plus it'd be in my way all the time;) And it tangles just by thinking about it, so it doesn't look very neat:D

I agree, I also think it depends on the hair. :D My hair isn't very tangle prone, so I guess I have that going for me when it comes to leaving it down most of the time.

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 02:18 PM
It's commonly said around here that if you're only growing to waist, hip, even tailbone, then you can usually get away with one choice out of chemical dye, heat styling, or wearing it down, without it looking ragged and damaged at the bottom hemline at the end. That seems to be the pattern for most of us, anyway.

Wearing your hair down is absolutely damaging, over long periods of time. Consider, hair at waist length is perhaps two, three, four years old depending on your height and growth rate. Hair's protein is pretty strong, but even sharp knives get worn down and should be sharpened a couple of times a year or more if you use them often, because friction rubs molecules off the outside. So yes, if you plan to grow long, then you do want to look to be careful of how much your hair is rubbing against things, especially things with rougher textures on the outside like a lot of clothes, car seats, etc. as well as getting caught either between you and other objects (bra straps, purse handles, seatbelts, backpack straps, chairs, etc.) or getting caught on or in other objects (on one windy day recently, my hair almost got caught in the door of a car as I climbed out and closed it behind me).

One time of using a straightener while using precautions won't cause a significant amount of damage, but using it every day will. The same goes for wearing your hair down. For some people, it's hardly a bother until well past classic. For some people, it means a false terminal length anywhere from midback on down. If you're near your goal and you don't see any significant damage on your ends, then well done, your hair may be resistant to friction damage up to that point. If you decide to grow longer and suddenly your ends start to look ragged and not respond to your usual treatments, then you'll have to consider your options.

I don't want this to sound like some big scary thing, it's not like you're a bad person for feeling more comfortable with your hair down. And, LOTS of people only grow their hair out to a length they can wear it down comfortably every day and still have it look good. It's about balancing your desires with your hair's needs and resilience, and if the two meet then that's awesome. It's only when they don't match up that you end up with a problem.

Thank you SO much, Nique1202,

This made me feel much better! Luckly I do not dye or heat style, so I guess I have my one choice going for me. :cool:

I would say my hair is in pretty good shape for as long as it currently is. It definitely has some split ends here and there, but nothing a little S&D doesn't take care of. I guess I can stop worrying about wearing it down often. Like I said, I do make sure that if I'm driving or out in the wind, or if it's rubbing against something, etc, I put it up. So I guess if it's worked for me this far, then it shouldn't be an issue. :) I am looking to get to somewhere between hip and tailbone, (I'm currently at waist), and maintain it there.

Again, thanks. Your post was very informative. :cheese:

sarahthegemini
September 23rd, 2015, 02:24 PM
I think wearing hair down when you're just sitting around (I.e. Not walking in windy weather, scaling mountains etc) you should be okay so long as you are aware enough of your hair and it's surroundings. For example, not trapping it between your back and the back of a chair, pulling it out from under bag straps etc. I very much disagree with those saying wearing it down absolutely causes damage. I can't see how sitting on a chair with hair down is more damaging than manipulating hair into an 'updo' I keep my hair up all day simply so that I don't have to worry about it getting caught on things whilst I'm out and about but when I'm settled down in the evening, my hair is released!

Nique1202
September 23rd, 2015, 02:39 PM
I think wearing hair down when you're just sitting around (I.e. Not walking in windy weather, scaling mountains etc) you should be okay so long as you are aware enough of your hair and it's surroundings. For example, not trapping it between your back and the back of a chair, pulling it out from under bag straps etc. I very much disagree with those saying wearing it down absolutely causes damage. I can't see how sitting on a chair with hair down is more damaging than manipulating hair into an 'updo' I keep my hair up all day simply so that I don't have to worry about it getting caught on things whilst I'm out and about but when I'm settled down in the evening, my hair is released!

Manipulating hair into an updo often only involves hair rubbing against other hair, in a controlled fashion, with all the hair cuticles running in the same direction (so it tends to slide against itself instead of rubbing roughly) for a few seconds or MAYBE minutes if you're doing a fancy braid or something. The rest of the day, it stays put, it's out of the range of most sources of friction except maybe a headrest on your car seat or a fancy chair.

That is going to be far less damaging over time than hair rubbing against other hair loosely AND against whatever cloth is on your chair (which is usually not slippery like silk or satin, and in the case of real and fake leather may cause hair to stick to it slightly and pull for extra manipulation damage) for an 8 hour work or school day, plus commuting on a train/bus/car, plus the friction it will get on your shirt all day and all evening, and on your pillowcase, and... on and on it goes, you catch my drift?

Anje
September 23rd, 2015, 02:41 PM
If you're not leaning back in chairs, I think the next biggest danger to hair left loose is simply tangles. Mine tangles fairly readily and I think that ultimately tangles shorten the lifespan of a hair. If you've got that magical sort of hair that doesn't knot around itself, it's a lot easier to grow it long while still wearing it loose much of the time (assuming the rest of your habits are not damaging). Most protective updos prevent tangles from occurring.

I wear mine up because I'd probably give in to the impulse to shave it off if it were allowed to get in my face that much. It doesn't matter how much I grow my bangs out, they still hang straight forward given half a chance!

Groovy Granny
September 23rd, 2015, 02:51 PM
We have the same hair type and length and I love it down when I can too :thumbsup:
Most of the time it is up it is to protect it when doing chores...from the wind etc...or to get it off my neck in the heat.
I am aware of potential damage and automatically check for straps, pull it over my shoulder when in chairs etc
I have had it long/down a few times in the past and never had damage...and I was not as informed as I am now...so maybe I have good strong hair? ;)
If you hair can take it being down...ENJOY....it is a great feeling!!

Seeshami
September 23rd, 2015, 02:52 PM
To the universe and other people yes. His highness is a egomaniacal psychopath that wants to push the button to end all things. And the crappy part is he knows where it is. Up is for the safety of all unsuspecting victims and the well being of the universe.

The naughty mess says, "It's good for us to push the button Seeshami. Help me push the button. Let me be down."

missblueeyes
September 23rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
It also depends on how you handle your hair when you wear it down. If you pay attention to it and don't let it get under bag straps or move it over your shoulders (to the front) when you're leaning against chairs it actually helps a lot. Sure, wearing your hair down is damaging but at the end of the day, everything is. Even washing and combing your hair causes damage. I'm not saying this to give you a free pass to wear your hair down 24/7 but what I'm saying is that your hair's health shouldn't lessen your happiness. If wearing your hair down makes you happy, please go for it. You might need to deep condition more often and do some S&D sessions or small microtrims but if you're happy while you're doing it, it's definitely worth it in the long run. Also, if you do want to put your hair up, invest in some non-damaging tools like hair sticks (Eaduard Hairsticks makes some cheap and great ones) or a fork so you're minimizing the damage. :)

embee
September 23rd, 2015, 03:31 PM
For many many years (decades) I thought my hair could only grow to BSL. It was always down, loose. I did not use heat nor did I dye or color, and most of those years I did not have perms or trims. But my hair never grew longer than BSL, in fact it usually stopped about APL. When I started putting it up every single day (work related safety and convenience) it began to grow like crazy. Now it seems to have hit terminal, with a few hairs at mid thigh and the rest just about classic. That's much more reasonable. :D

LauraAlaina
September 23rd, 2015, 03:36 PM
I wear my hair up and down throughout the day. I can see how both would be slightly damaging so what are ya gunna do...
Wear up, get damage with elastics and hair pulling
Wear down, get damage with hair rubbing on stuff.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2015, 03:58 PM
When it's BSL, sure wear it out. No problem, but once beyond that length it gets to be a hassle because it's always in your way (at least for me). So wearing it up is just practical for me!

Kiiruna
September 23rd, 2015, 04:08 PM
I agree with missblueeyes. If you look out for your hair and simply don't leave it anywhere, it's not as damaging as leaving it under straps and chairs and stuff. Everything is damaging - hair is dead, and it gets more worn out every day, no matter what you do. At certain length it becomes a matter of practicality - I'm not even at apl, and I have to put my hair out of my way.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
It's your hair, so you get to decide. From about the bottom of my shoulder blades and longer, I prefer to wear my hair up. If it's down, it annoys me by making my neck and arms itch from the hair rubbing, also gets in my way by falling forward. I've even had it get caught in that little crack behind the back of the light switch cover and the wall while I was walking by. Ouch!

If your hair ever starts to look a little ragged, you can change your mind and put it up. Otherwise carry on.

burny
September 23rd, 2015, 04:42 PM
I suspect that also thinner hair is more prone to damage(ie. less damage required before it breaks). Certainly though, having your hair down, is going to cause some damage. I myself have mine down nearly 24/7(I've only braided it for sleep about 50 times, just too lazy), and most people say it looks amazing/healthy.

Does your hair near scalp feel smoother/softer than the hair near ends, or middle? The longer it grows, the bigger this difference will be. Also, depending on weather, how often you wash it, etc. once it gets past 10-30 inches, the natural scalp oils will start to make a difference(eg. it's often hard for them to get to the ends of 4' long hair). In general though, as a few people have already suggested; the longer you want your hair to be, the more important it will be to protect it from damage.

*ReiKa*
September 23rd, 2015, 05:15 PM
If your hair can take it, then why not?!
I've grown my hair from chin lenght to TBL with a completely full hemline by wearing it down 4-5 days a week! It is absolutely possible and no, I'm not an alien :D and my hair isn't even coarse, just a medium texture.
(I also straightened it with a flat iron and still do from time to time.)

I know exactly what you mean because wearing my hair up is just DEPRESSIVE for me. My heart cries everytime I put my hair up and I don't like how I look. My hair is part of my image and I want to see it around me.
Yes, it gets annoying sometimes, but I love it too much to hide it in a bun and make it disappear as if I didn't have long hair.
Enjoy your hair the way you want to, and in case you're ever gonna see damage (but I doubt it, you would have already noticed something) you can always change your habits a little bit!

Entangled
September 23rd, 2015, 07:03 PM
Do what you wish. As other posters have mentioned, it's a question of preference, and if long hair plus constant updos means you don't enjoy it, wear it down or cut it. I wear my hair up more than down because it's convenient and I really like it out of the way. My braid's getting long enough to catch on things, and I do admit feeling bad for that, so I've been bumming my braids recently. I'm starting to feel an age difference between my scalp and ends. I'm happy with it, though, more happy than I've ever been. I feel at peace with my hair, if that makes sense. I choose to wear it up (which is far harder when it was short) and I have the benefits of looks if I wear it down. Plus, I can wear fancy updos if I want to!

Consider putting it up if it helps you. Don't feel chained to it. I've only just transitioned to complete buns, and I've been reading here for two years (member for one). I wouldn't choose to wear it down most days. But, this is what I want. I know it's a balance, and if I want to wear it down or braided I don't care, because I want practical hair and it's not practical if I'm chained to its maintenance whether I want it or not.

pailin
September 23rd, 2015, 08:14 PM
In terms of damage from wearing your hair down, I would guess that not only does it depend upon your hair type, but also on you in a way. Have you ever noticed that some people buy something, say a bag, and it's destroyed in a couple of months, but another person buys the same bag, and it lasts them for years? I don't think it's anything conscious, just that some people treat their stuff harder, even if they're doing the same things with it. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are harder or more gentle on their hair as well. Some people are going to be better at keeping their hair away from things that cause damage than others will be.
That said, I think you should do what you like with your hair. It's for you to enjoy. So if you enjoy it down and hate wearing it up, then by all means, wear it down. What is the point of growing it long without enjoying it? I think we all need to find our own balance between taking care of our hair and enjoying it.

ravenreed
September 23rd, 2015, 08:37 PM
I wore my hair down all the time until I hit waist. I didn't start wearing it up all the time until I hit tailbone. Even so, I will still wear it down every so often. A lot depends on what your priorities are. Mine are enjoying my hair without stressing.

Anje
September 23rd, 2015, 10:07 PM
Wear up, get damage with elastics and hair pulling
Wear down, get damage with hair rubbing on stuff.
Ugh, don't put your hair up with elastics. That hurts! Use something proper, like a clip or hairstick, that's at least comfortable and won't pull.

burny
September 23rd, 2015, 10:10 PM
Ya, that's a good point too Pailin. I know for clothes, mine last WAYYY longer than most people I know(I have a pair of pants that I've worn over 1000 times in the past 10 years, and they're still in good condition), but apparently most people they only last like 6months to a year. It would make sense that similar thing happens with hair.

Elyse M.
September 23rd, 2015, 10:50 PM
But wearing it pulled back all the time can damage the hairs around the hairline. My mom always put my hair in a tight pony tail, so I've had one little damaged piece as long as I can remember and thought it was normal. I've mostly worn buns since, but now that my hair is heavier I've noticed more "slow-growing, coarse pieces" appearing. I'm trying to correct it now. Folding my hair in half and clipping-it is comfortable and the easiest, but I don't like the way it looks. I've still haven't figure out how to keep it looking nice down for more than an hour.

Also, sleeping.
If you so carefully keep your hair from rubbing during the day, but wear it down and roll all over your pillow at night, what's the point?

Marika
September 24th, 2015, 12:01 AM
For me (having very fine, tangle-prone and fragile hair), leaving my hair down is definitely more damaging than wearing it up but I do agree, everything is damaging. I have breakage and damage from wearing my hair up even though I have quality hairtoys and try to change my updos every so often. I'm actually a bit jealous because everywhere I go, I see beautiful hip-tbl hair worn down and it looks so smooth and tangle-free. It can't be all hair extensions, can it?:confused:

AutobotsAttack
September 24th, 2015, 12:44 AM
I would say just monitor to see if you are getting any tangles or experiencing breakage or anything like that. If you are then maybe it shouldn't be down so much, if you aren't then you can keep it down, and just remember to be cautious and diligent and yada yada yada lol

ravenreed
September 24th, 2015, 01:56 AM
I also seriously worry that wearing my hair in a bun every day is putting me at risk of traction alopecia. I never do a tight bun, even so, the hair around my hairline is looking a little thinner to me as time goes on. However, I am also 45 so it is hard to know if it is a normal thing or not.

But wearing it pulled back all the time can damage the hairs around the hairline. My mom always put my hair in a tight pony tail, so I've had one little damaged piece as long as I can remember and thought it was normal. I've mostly worn buns since, but now that my hair is heavier I've noticed more "slow-growing, coarse pieces" appearing. I'm trying to correct it now. Folding my hair in half and clipping-it is comfortable and the easiest, but I don't like the way it looks. I've still haven't figure out how to keep it looking nice down for more than an hour.

Also, sleeping.
If you so carefully keep your hair from rubbing during the day, but wear it down and roll all over your pillow at night, what's the point?

parkmikii
September 24th, 2015, 02:08 AM
For me it was very damaging. I kept it down for more than a year at hip length and as I was carrying my bag to school the left part got very thinned out. I think it all broke off from rubbing against the bag strap. I started wearing it up after chopping it to even the length as the broken off side was very obvious sadly :/

Mimha
September 24th, 2015, 02:18 AM
For me, the most damaging thing about wearing my hair down is the fact that I have to comb/brush much too often to detangle it. Detangling is a hair killing process for me, even with the most gentle care and patience. And by manipulating my hair so much, my hair and scalp get also much quicker greasy, so it leads me to wash more.

But hey, if I grow my hair long, it is also - if not primarily - to enjoy the length ! :)

So let's say that I usually wear it up, except when I really want to enjoy the length : it mainly means indoors and on day 1, 2 or 3 only (I wash about every 5 days), or during non-windy days. It means I wear it down about 10% of the time, night not included (I sleep with my hair loose... for the moment). I also keep it up much more during the winter time because it is a nightmare with winter clothes, pullovers, jackets and scarves !^^

missblueeyes
September 24th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I also seriously worry that wearing my hair in a bun every day is putting me at risk of traction alopecia. I never do a tight bun, even so, the hair around my hairline is looking a little thinner to me as time goes on. However, I am also 45 so it is hard to know if it is a normal thing or not.

That's why you should never secure your buns too tightly. I always go by the rule: If I can stick my pinky between the hair and my scalp when it's in an updo, it's fine. If you're working with sticks and forks, there are different tightnesses that you can achieve with the same bun and the same hairtoy. You just have to experiment to see what suits you best.

I also wanted to add something to my post on page 2 or 3: I usually wear my hair up out of convenience. I live in a very windy area and have to take multiple trains to uni. Having hair in my face or in other people's faces on public transport is a big no-no for me.

ravenreed
September 24th, 2015, 04:00 AM
As I said, I never bun tightly. However, my hair is long enough that the buns are heavy and pull on the hair on the top and front of my hair.

That's why you should never secure your buns too tightly. I always go by the rule: If I can stick my pinky between the hair and my scalp when it's in an updo, it's fine. If you're working with sticks and forks, there are different tightnesses that you can achieve with the same bun and the same hairtoy. You just have to experiment to see what suits you best.

I also wanted to add something to my post on page 2 or 3: I usually wear my hair up out of convenience. I live in a very windy area and have to take multiple trains to uni. Having hair in my face or in other people's faces on public transport is a big no-no for me.

wilderwein
September 24th, 2015, 05:40 AM

You're the "man"/woman! I get so annoyed when other peoples hair is rubbing on me on train and busses!

missrandie
September 24th, 2015, 06:12 AM
As I said, I never bun tightly. However, my hair is long enough that the buns are heavy and pull on the hair on the top and front of my hair.

Look into sectioning your hair so that the front is looser. Gossamer has a video on YouTube about how she does her twists in the front to avoid pulling on the hairline.

missmelaniem
September 24th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I plan to wear my hair up more to get it to grow longer. I had pretty long hair as an adult when I did not color but did heat style. I wore it down all of the time. I like the way it looks when its down .... its why I want it long in the first place. I think its a combination of what your goals are and what you feel like doing.

I think braiding is also a good option if you want your hair confined but down.

hennalonghair
September 24th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Braiding is a great option for keeping your hair protected but down. While I like creating different up do's , I'm also very keen on wearing braid styles that allow my hair to breath and be down. It's a needed alternative option for me as I find bunning everyday in a different spot somewhat difficult at the moment and these styles give my hair follicles their needed rest for my hair type.

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM
We have the same hair type and length and I love it down when I can too :thumbsup:
Most of the time it is up it is to protect it when doing chores...from the wind etc...or to get it off my neck in the heat.
I am aware of potential damage and automatically check for straps, pull it over my shoulder when in chairs etc
I have had it long/down a few times in the past and never had damage...and I was not as informed as I am now...so maybe I have good strong hair? ;)
If you hair can take it being down...ENJOY....it is a great feeling!!

Thank you, Groovy Granny!! :)

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:19 AM
It also depends on how you handle your hair when you wear it down. If you pay attention to it and don't let it get under bag straps or move it over your shoulders (to the front) when you're leaning against chairs it actually helps a lot. Sure, wearing your hair down is damaging but at the end of the day, everything is. Even washing and combing your hair causes damage. I'm not saying this to give you a free pass to wear your hair down 24/7 but what I'm saying is that your hair's health shouldn't lessen your happiness. If wearing your hair down makes you happy, please go for it. You might need to deep condition more often and do some S&D sessions or small microtrims but if you're happy while you're doing it, it's definitely worth it in the long run. Also, if you do want to put your hair up, invest in some non-damaging tools like hair sticks (Eaduard Hairsticks makes some cheap and great ones) or a fork so you're minimizing the damage. :)

Thank you missblueeyes :D

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:22 AM
For many many years (decades) I thought my hair could only grow to BSL. It was always down, loose. I did not use heat nor did I dye or color, and most of those years I did not have perms or trims. But my hair never grew longer than BSL, in fact it usually stopped about APL. When I started putting it up every single day (work related safety and convenience) it began to grow like crazy. Now it seems to have hit terminal, with a few hairs at mid thigh and the rest just about classic. That's much more reasonable. :D

Wow!!! That's amazing!! Thank you for the helpful info, embee :)

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I suspect that also thinner hair is more prone to damage(ie. less damage required before it breaks). Certainly though, having your hair down, is going to cause some damage. I myself have mine down nearly 24/7(I've only braided it for sleep about 50 times, just too lazy), and most people say it looks amazing/healthy.

Does your hair near scalp feel smoother/softer than the hair near ends, or middle? The longer it grows, the bigger this difference will be. Also, depending on weather, how often you wash it, etc. once it gets past 10-30 inches, the natural scalp oils will start to make a difference(eg. it's often hard for them to get to the ends of 4' long hair). In general though, as a few people have already suggested; the longer you want your hair to be, the more important it will be to protect it from damage.

Burny, right now I would say that the middle and ends feel almost just as smooth as the top. I think the deep conditioning every week really helps that. :) Thank you for your input!!

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:27 AM
If your hair can take it, then why not?!
I've grown my hair from chin lenght to TBL with a completely full hemline by wearing it down 4-5 days a week! It is absolutely possible and no, I'm not an alien :D and my hair isn't even coarse, just a medium texture.
(I also straightened it with a flat iron and still do from time to time.)

I know exactly what you mean because wearing my hair up is just DEPRESSIVE for me. My heart cries everytime I put my hair up and I don't like how I look. My hair is part of my image and I want to see it around me.
Yes, it gets annoying sometimes, but I love it too much to hide it in a bun and make it disappear as if I didn't have long hair.
Enjoy your hair the way you want to, and in case you're ever gonna see damage (but I doubt it, you would have already noticed something) you can always change your habits a little bit!

Yes, yes, and yessss! I feel the same way. I love to enjoy my long hair down. It's not that I necessarily hate undo's, but I just much prefer to have it down and enjoy it. That's why I have it long in the first place. But I also want to make sure I'm taking good care of it at the same time. So that just means putting it up and out of the way during anything that could cause damage to it. I also am trying to make a point to put it up for at least a few hours a day as well, that way it gets a break here and there.

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Do what you wish. As other posters have mentioned, it's a question of preference, and if long hair plus constant updos means you don't enjoy it, wear it down or cut it. I wear my hair up more than down because it's convenient and I really like it out of the way. My braid's getting long enough to catch on things, and I do admit feeling bad for that, so I've been bumming my braids recently. I'm starting to feel an age difference between my scalp and ends. I'm happy with it, though, more happy than I've ever been. I feel at peace with my hair, if that makes sense. I choose to wear it up (which is far harder when it was short) and I have the benefits of looks if I wear it down. Plus, I can wear fancy updos if I want to!

Consider putting it up if it helps you. Don't feel chained to it. I've only just transitioned to complete buns, and I've been reading here for two years (member for one). I wouldn't choose to wear it down most days. But, this is what I want. I know it's a balance, and if I want to wear it down or braided I don't care, because I want practical hair and it's not practical if I'm chained to its maintenance whether I want it or not.

Thanks Entangled, glad you have found what works for you and makes both you and your hair happy. :o I agree, it's nice to have a balance between both up and down, and just enjoy whatever YOU want to do with it.

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:35 AM
In terms of damage from wearing your hair down, I would guess that not only does it depend upon your hair type, but also on you in a way. Have you ever noticed that some people buy something, say a bag, and it's destroyed in a couple of months, but another person buys the same bag, and it lasts them for years? I don't think it's anything conscious, just that some people treat their stuff harder, even if they're doing the same things with it. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are harder or more gentle on their hair as well. Some people are going to be better at keeping their hair away from things that cause damage than others will be.
That said, I think you should do what you like with your hair. It's for you to enjoy. So if you enjoy it down and hate wearing it up, then by all means, wear it down. What is the point of growing it long without enjoying it? I think we all need to find our own balance between taking care of our hair and enjoying it.

Perfectly said, Pailin.
Love the comparison to the bags... that is so true!! Good way to think about it for sure.

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Also, sleeping.

Very true, Elyse!

Also, I personally wear my hair down every night, just because for me I feel like that is less damaging then braiding it. I usually just flop it over my pillow and /most/ nights it stays put unless I have a cruddy restless night, lol.

xoAshley
September 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Big thank you to ALL of you, I don't want to flood this post with a million thank you's to each of you individually, but I have read everyone's post and I am really enjoying hearing everyone's opinions and stories! :thumbsup:

ravenreed
September 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Maybe I am weird, but most of the weight of my buns inevitable falls on the top third of my head. I can't prevent this. It is a lot of weight on not so many hair follicles. Loosening the front will just mean less to distribute the weight on. It only really became a problem once I got past classic length and my buns became more meaty. I am keeping an eye on it, but I tend to wear my hair down more at home unless cooking or cleaning, or in a braid. I rarely wear a braid out and about because my braids catch my earrings and hurl them to the floor. It is very discouraging!

Look into sectioning your hair so that the front is looser. Gossamer has a video on YouTube about how she does her twists in the front to avoid pulling on the hairline.

KittyCatCarrie
September 24th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I find that you can never really protect your hair 100%, so as long as you aren't finding a lot of your hairs being broken off you should just enjoy your hair however you like. :D

Alex Lou
September 24th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I think that, having coarse hair, my hair never takes damage from being down. It takes more damage from brushing it into an up style or from using an elastic... which is why I prefer spin pins.

Neptune
September 24th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Manipulating hair into an updo often only involves hair rubbing against other hair, in a controlled fashion, with all the hair cuticles running in the same direction (so it tends to slide against itself instead of rubbing roughly) for a few seconds or MAYBE minutes if you're doing a fancy braid or something. The rest of the day, it stays put, it's out of the range of most sources of friction except maybe a headrest on your car seat or a fancy chair.

That is going to be far less damaging over time than hair rubbing against other hair loosely AND against whatever cloth is on your chair (which is usually not slippery like silk or satin, and in the case of real and fake leather may cause hair to stick to it slightly and pull for extra manipulation damage) for an 8 hour work or school day, plus commuting on a train/bus/car, plus the friction it will get on your shirt all day and all evening, and on your pillowcase, and... on and on it goes, you catch my drift?

Thanks for your insight on this Nique1201 . Makes sense to me!! I am another one who prefers to keep my hair down most of the time, and I always cringe when I put it up and can hear hairs breaking or snapping (even when I'm careful!) as I manipulate them into braids or buns. Interesting point about the cumulative damage caused by friction from clothes, etc.!

Neptune
September 24th, 2015, 05:40 PM
For me it was very damaging. I kept it down for more than a year at hip length and as I was carrying my bag to school the left part got very thinned out. I think it all broke off from rubbing against the bag strap. I started wearing it up after chopping it to even the length as the broken off side was very obvious sadly :/

Oh no parkmikii !! Thanks for sharing!

yahirwaO.o
September 24th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Well my hair is pretty fine and still I wear my hair down almost everyday all the time. Its only in bun while Im showering, washing my face or I have to clean my flat. Other than that a side braid is my second option which is rarely used.

My own experience. I think my hair gets a lot more damaged while manipulating certain hairstyles which are suppose to be protective for most people. A bun need some oiling, a lot of tries to get it stay-right look and my scalp begs just to let it down after some time. Braids are ok, but too much handle annoys me somehow. Its also pretty dark and compacts a lot, so they are on the smaller side, its like meeh looking

I grew my hair and got very long with braids and buns, but I was just not happy to let my hair do its natural flow.

Now that is loose 80% time my hair looks very healthy, have very few spilts, scalp feels fantastic and I feel more emotionally happy with it down!!!! :joy::joy::joy: