PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my hair??

Darkhorse1
September 22nd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Hey all. So, as you know, I'm having to find a replacement shampoo as my beloved Herbal Essence Drama Clean has been discontinued. I have been searching for a shampoo that will keep my scalp happy (I need to wash daily due to SD) and hair happy.

I found a new shampoo from Garnier Fructis that's new and orange---I think it's for Normal 'dull' hair (which my hair is NOT --wasn't dull before using this product!). It's got lemon/grapefruit in it though which are components I've had in past clarifying shampoos. It also had Vitamin E. So, I used it today.

My scalp is happy!! My hair? feels FRIED! I've never felt my hair so dry and coarse in my life!!! I plan to do a deep oiling with olive oil tomorrow and try the Treseme Clarifying I bought (states it's safe to use daily and on color treated hair).

Why does my hair feel fried?? Is it the Vitamin E? Or am I used to have my hair clarifyed and not feeling anything on it (oil/sweat/barn gunk??).

Shame because my scalp is happy with this shampoo, but my strands are NOT. I do color my hair to cover gray and work outdoors, but I've been conditioning then washing then conditioning again to protect the ends and that was working. I didn't do that with this shampoo since it wasn't a clarifying shampoo. Big mistake? Hopefully Treseme works better :D

Edited to add I've had issues with Garnier Fructous before and this was the same issue in the past, minus the happy scalp. Hmmmmm

Anyone else use this new Garnier shampoo with the same results?

yahirwaO.o
September 22nd, 2015, 10:56 PM
Not the same shampo, but still a Garnier Shampoo (the one with caffeine, supossly to help with sheding huh :confused:) and my regular shiny and soft hair came out super brittle dry floffy and shedding was really bad. I remember in the past other experiences and Garnier simply does not work for me.

You could try diluting that shampoo tho. Some people with SD dont recommend do it, but you can give it a try. I have some troubble with flakes and still helps me a lot. ACV rinses can help too!

Hope you get a nicer way to replace your beloved shampoo! :eek:

queenbee1
September 23rd, 2015, 06:54 AM
Try using Himalayas shampoos. I use the volumizing one with licorice. I use it for SO shampooing though. My hair is usually oilled on the end in a bun so i don't have issues with shampooing the length. You should also try CO washes and see how they work out for you. ☺
ACV rinses help too, I've heard ��

Nique1202
September 23rd, 2015, 07:16 AM
Why does my hair feel fried?? Is it the Vitamin E? Or am I used to have my hair clarifyed and not feeling anything on it (oil/sweat/barn gunk??).

I'd say it's more likely that it's a combination of whatever the Fructis has that it's adding to make the dull hair shinier, AND not being as clarifying as what you were using before. I hope you have better success with the Tresemme or that you can find something else, but I'd definitely recommend sticking to clarifying shampoos if that's what you're coming from, you know? I think Tresemme makes two, one Deep Cleanse and one in their Naturals line. Pantene makes one as well, for sure, as well has having their Aqua Light line that's recommended pretty often on the forums. I haven't seen the Tresemme ones in a while except at the dollar store, but I've definitely seen both Pantene ones all over the place. You might also try something that's labeled for oily hair, since that's going to be more clarifying/stripping than something for dull or dry hair (where you'd want to add stuff to make it look/feel better, instead of taking everything away).

lapushka
September 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM
I'd first try your regular routine (CWC) with the shampoo before drawing any conclusions.

Frankenstein
September 23rd, 2015, 10:34 AM
Not long ago I looked at a Garnier shampoo that sounds much like the one you described. This one had salicylic acid in the ingredients, which I've heard can be quite drying on hair. Maybe it's that?

CoveredByLove
September 23rd, 2015, 11:34 AM
I have this problem too. My scalp and my hair apparently live on two different planets. :rolleyes: Hair loves co washing, scalp loves sulfates. I also have SD.

Currently been using L'Oreal Nutri-gloss or Power Moisture shampoo. Scalp LOVES it...but..using it every day ended up being pretty drying. It does have salicylic acid in it, which really helps my scalp, but might contribute to the drying effects. I'm trying to balance the two by co washing during the week, then shampooing once a week to keep my scalp clear and healthy. This is only way, I'm afraid, I can keep both of them happy. Neither methods of strict Curly Girl method or full-on sulfates works for me in the long run.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2015, 11:39 AM
I have this problem too. My scalp and my hair apparently live on two different planets. :rolleyes: Hair loves co washing, scalp loves sulfates. I also have SD.

Currently been using L'Oreal Nutri-gloss or Power Moisture shampoo. Scalp LOVES it...but..using it every day ended up being pretty drying. It does have salicylic acid in it, which really helps my scalp, but might contribute to the drying effects. I'm trying to balance the two by co washing during the week, then shampooing once a week to keep my scalp clear and healthy. This is only way, I'm afraid, I can keep both of them happy. Neither methods of strict Curly Girl method or full-on sulfates works for me in the long run.

Maybe scalp-only washing is for you!

Shepherdess
September 23rd, 2015, 11:45 AM
I found shampoos to be too much of a hassle to try and figure out for my hair, and even using the same brand each time didn't always have the same effects on my hair (likely due to weather changes and such)...all naturals often made my hair too sticky or heavy with almost a residue, while sulfates often made my hair too dry, brittle, and frizzy, so I now just go with an all natural bar shampoo, which my hair seems to love it and it doesn't cause any of the problems that other shampoos have for my hair, though I know bar shampoo doesn't work the same way for everyone. I hope that you are able to find a shampoo that works well for your hair. I wish I could help you in this, though I don't know a lot about different shampoo brands.

CoveredByLove
September 23rd, 2015, 11:49 AM
Maybe scalp-only washing is for you!

Hmm...I don't think I've heard of that one yet! I'll have to read up on it. Is there a main thread for this? I don't know the first thing about how to do it! Thanks! :flower:

meteor
September 23rd, 2015, 12:20 PM
I've tried a few shampoos that ended up perfect for my scalp but too drying for my hair (especially on ends), so I use them these ways only:

1) scalp-only washes between my full washes (with length kept dry in a bun/braid under a plastic cap);

2) CWC (because the treatment/mask/conditioner buffers the shampoo on length a bit);

3) pre-poo oiling + S&C (because the oil protects the length a bit).

meteor
September 23rd, 2015, 12:24 PM
Hmm...I don't think I've heard of that one yet! I'll have to read up on it. Is there a main thread for this? I don't know the first thing about how to do it! Thanks! :flower:

There are a few:
First successful scalp-only wash - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848
Technique for scalp-only washing? - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49219
Poll: Scalp Wash Success? - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35946

Tutorials:
Scalp wash with bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
Scalp wash with braid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo

CoveredByLove
September 23rd, 2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks so much Meteor! Very much appreciated! I'm going to have to try this!

Edit: OMG...second video with the braid is so helpful!! I wash my hair upside down under the tub facet anyways....I think this is gonna work for me. Super excited! :D

meteor
September 23rd, 2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much Meteor! Very much appreciated! I'm going to have to try this!

Edit: OMG...second video with the braid is so helpful!! I wash my hair upside down under the tub facet anyways....I think this is gonna work for me. Super excited! :D

Awesome! :D I hope it will work for you! :pray: It's such a time saver and saves so much extra drying & detangling effort! :cloud9:
By the way, I do the second method even without using a bra-strap nowadays, because I find that as the braid gets longer it stays down the back easily. Actually, as you move your head upside down, the top hair in the braid moves slightly towards the front, which allows more space around scalp area to get fingers there to shampoo and massage well (I hope I'm explaining this well :lol:)
Another easy method is with a braid in the shower (just holding the braid with one hand), but I find it gets tiresome, however, it's easier to get *under* the braid to the nape area with this method.

CoveredByLove
September 23rd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Awesome! :D I hope it will work for you! :pray: It's such a time saver and saves so much extra drying & detangling effort! :cloud9:
By the way, I do the second method even without using a bra-strap nowadays, because I find that as the braid gets longer it stays down the back easily. Actually, as you move your head upside down, the top hair in the braid moves slightly towards the front, which allows more space around scalp area to get fingers there to shampoo and massage well (I hope I'm explaining this well :lol:)
Another easy method is with a braid in the shower (just holding the braid with one hand), but I find it gets tiresome, however, it's easier to get *under* the braid to the nape area with this method.

Makes total sense! lol My only concern is, after I scalp only wash, I'm wondering how easy it will be to re-gel my roots since I'm curly?...Its mainly just the top and front area that will need gel, since the underneath nobody sees. lol If that doesn't work out, I might just rinse and condition the length after shampooing the scalp.

meteor
September 23rd, 2015, 01:33 PM
Makes total sense! lol My only concern is, after I scalp only wash, I'm wondering how easy it will be to re-gel my roots since I'm curly?...Its mainly just the top and front area that will need gel, since the underneath nobody sees. lol If that doesn't work out, I might just rinse and condition the length after shampooing the scalp.

I've never tried it with a gel, so I can't say, sorry... :oops: But I would imagine you can just apply gel to roots if that's what you normally do after washing.
However, if you wear your hair down, I can imagine curls on the length won't look as fresh if they are kept dry... :hmm: It's just that curls tend to pop more from re-wetting them and maybe following with something like a mini-LOC (liquid/oil/cream or gel). To try a simple option first, I'd try spritzing hair with water (+conditioner) first... maybe that would be enough to revive the curls? :)
Might be worth an experiment, though I don't think scalp-only washes are good for styling (I find styling is best to start from wet/damp-setting)...

Darkhorse1
September 24th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Not long ago I looked at a Garnier shampoo that sounds much like the one you described. This one had salicylic acid in the ingredients, which I've heard can be quite drying on hair. Maybe it's that?

Yes, that's the one. Salicylic acid is good for dandruff, and I suffer from SD---like I said, my scalp loved the shampoo, but my hair HATED it. What a shame!

Darkhorse1
September 24th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Yesterday, I chose to deep oil my hair with olive oil, then clarify with Drama Clean (I have half a bottle left). I then did a heavy condition with Pantene Moisturizing conditioner and my hair was it's normal self again.

I always only do scalp washes--have since I was 14. Just instinct I guess---my hair was mega oily when I was a kid and just recently--well, into my late 30s, I was able to stretch washes, but that was very bad for my scalp thanks to SD. Returning to daily washings have kept my scalp happy, but has taken it's told on my length, I began this summer, to CWC and that was a HUGE help!

I just tried Tressemme and was bummed to see the shampoo had a blue tinge---very often any blue dyes make me itch. We'll see though as the Drama Clean shampoo has blue dye and I don't seem to have too much of a problem with it. I was happy with how my hair rinsed with the Tressemme so let's hope that one works.

I haven't been able to find any clarifying Pantene Shampoo---the only one here (Canada) I've seen is the Refreshing and it's got mint extract ---didn't do much for me. I preferred the old clarifying via Pantene. It's possible they don't carry some of the Pantene products here.

Thanks again for your help! Means a lot to me. :D

Darkhorse1
September 24th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Update: Well, Tressemme was WORSE than Garnier. My scalp was itching so badly I had to rewash with HE Drama Clean. Ugh!

Question: I was doing a search online and it seems that there's a 'refreshing' shampoo by H.E that has citrus blossoms in it---but it's not Drama Clean. Is that old or new? If people have that in their stores, I would be open to trying that as it's marketed as a clarifying shampoo. The one here is called "Tea Lightfully Clean', but does not have any citrus blossom on the front.

Sigh. I have half a bottle left and then I'm sunk.....

Frankenstein
September 24th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Update: Well, Tressemme was WORSE than Garnier. My scalp was itching so badly I had to rewash with HE Drama Clean. Ugh!

Question: I was doing a search online and it seems that there's a 'refreshing' shampoo by H.E that has citrus blossoms in it---but it's not Drama Clean. Is that old or new? If people have that in their stores, I would be open to trying that as it's marketed as a clarifying shampoo. The one here is called "Tea Lightfully Clean', but does not have any citrus blossom on the front.

Sigh. I have half a bottle left and then I'm sunk.....

Tresemme makes my scalp itch too. :(

Are you talking about the shampoo for "body" in the orange bottle? If so, it's been around for a long time. I haven't used it in ages but from what I remember it's at least somewhat comparable to Drama Clean.

Darkhorse1
September 24th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Hi there--no--I did a search for clarifying shampoos and one popped up that was Herbal Essence refreshing shampoo, that had tea tree extract and citrus blossom--it's still Herbal Essence and green---it's likely an older formula. That or was marketed different outside of Canada......

Sorry Tresemme made your scalp itch too :(

lapushka
September 25th, 2015, 03:13 AM
Have you ever tried a Pantene shampoo with sulfates and no silicones (like the volumizing one or the Aqua Light...)?

Oh, and when I start itching, then I know my SD is back, so I use Nizoral to alleviate the symptoms. Can't expect a normal shampoo to give you relief! Sorry. In between bouts, normal shampoo, yes, but once the SD strikes, then no.

Darkhorse1
September 25th, 2015, 08:54 AM
So far my SD is behaving---but that's likely due to zero oil on my scalp. I'm going to see if I can try a daily shampoo from Live Clean I think it's called. It's all natural so I'm not sure about it (I have a LOT of hair and all natural products don't work well for me). But, I'm thinking a daily shampoo will be less harsh? I also may try H.E volumizing shampoo. I've tried the Pantene Aqua light and it didn't do anything for me :( This is why I hate it when a shampoo I like is discontinued.....

lapushka
September 25th, 2015, 09:11 AM
If it just a matter of your scalp behaving and your lengths drying out, maybe scalp-only washing is for you?

meteor
September 25th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Yesterday, I chose to deep oil my hair with olive oil, then clarify with Drama Clean (I have half a bottle left). I then did a heavy condition with Pantene Moisturizing conditioner and my hair was it's normal self again.

I always only do scalp washes--have since I was 14. Just instinct I guess---my hair was mega oily when I was a kid and just recently--well, into my late 30s, I was able to stretch washes, but that was very bad for my scalp thanks to SD. Returning to daily washings have kept my scalp happy, but has taken it's told on my length, I began this summer, to CWC and that was a HUGE help!

I just tried Tressemme and was bummed to see the shampoo had a blue tinge---very often any blue dyes make me itch. We'll see though as the Drama Clean shampoo has blue dye and I don't seem to have too much of a problem with it. I was happy with how my hair rinsed with the Tressemme so let's hope that one works.

I haven't been able to find any clarifying Pantene Shampoo---the only one here (Canada) I've seen is the Refreshing and it's got mint extract ---didn't do much for me. I preferred the old clarifying via Pantene. It's possible they don't carry some of the Pantene products here.

Thanks again for your help! Means a lot to me. :D

If your scalp really liked the salycilic acid, it probably points to SD flaring up again. I'd use an anti-dandruff shampoo with Salicylic acid, e.g. Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-sal-+therapeutic+shampoo+-+scalp+build-up+control.do) or Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing (http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap-Deep-Cleansing-Shampoo-_p_732.html), or I'd use a strong anti-fungal, like ketoconazole (Nizoral shampoo or sulfate-free and gentle Regenepure Dr - http://www.regenepure.com/regenepure-dr-doctor-recommended.html) until it calms down. Unfortunately, anti-dandruff shampoos tend to be drying to hair (but good against SD), so it's a bit of a trade-off. Once the SD is under control, you can move on to lighter, less harsh shampoos. In the meantime, CWC, scalp-only washes, and using leave-ins should help prevent the length from drying out.

As for clarifying with Pantene, I'd just avoid their "daily" shampoos (they usually have dimethicone and other conditioning ingredients high up on the ingredients list), but there are a few Pantene shampoos that should work for clarifying:
Damage Detox Deep Cleanse Purifying Shampoo - Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Benzoate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Mentha Arvensis Leaf Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Ice Shine Shampoo - Water/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Fragrance, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Linoleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Aqualight Shampoo - Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Fragrance, Cocamide Mea, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium Edta, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Peg-60 Almond Glycerides, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Sheer Volume Shampoo - Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Tetrasodium Edta, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

renia22
September 25th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Darkhorse1- have you tried Paul Mitchell shampoo 2? That's a decent one, but I'm not sure if you can locate it in Canada, or how expensive it is over there. I bought a 16 ounce bottle at Ulta not long ago for $7 U.S. (with a coupon). It also comes in a 2 ounce trial sized, which is nice since you can try the small one before committing to a huge bottle. I've been pretty happy with it, and I also liked Drama Clean. I haven't had luck with Garnier, either (except the European Ultra Doux).

Darkhorse1
September 25th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks folks! Reina22--yes, I tried the Paul Mitchel Shampoo 2 but didn't find it worked well at the time. I still have it and may try it again.

I've always only done scalp washes---ever since I was a kid. My problem is I work with horses, so I'm outdoors/in elements and my hair is color treated (gray coverage). I'm also going through peri menopause, so itching in general is a pain.

My scalp has been happy as a clam until this week with the changing of shampoos. I think I finally found one that works and it's the Aqualight Pantene---just got it today and used it and both scalp and hair are happy!!! in fact, I'd venture to guess this shampoo is better than Herbal Essence's Drama Clean (for my needs).

I've always swapped off between Pantene and Herbal Essence for clarifying shampoos--when one stopped making one, the other had one that worked for my hair/scalp needs so yipppeee!

As for mild SD, I use Head and Shoulders---I've learned now to CWC with that---took a lot of oiling to get my ends happy again, but it makes my scalp happy if it's cranky ;)

Thanks again and for all your help/suggestions!

renia22
September 25th, 2015, 03:35 PM
^ awesome! Glad the Aqualight worked out for you, that's a nice one! One of my favorites too.

lapushka
September 25th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Really? The Aqua Light is good? Oh, I'm so glad!!! :D I love that thing, it is my Holy Grail shampoo and I have SD too.

Darkhorse1
September 27th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Update: Sadly, the Aqua Light left a filmy residue on my hair. :( So, by the afternoon, I was scratching away. I used my Drama Clean the next day to clarify and my hair/head was very happy. Sigh. The good news? I was cleaning under my sink and found a bottle of Degunkify Herbal Essence that's over half full, so I have about a month's worth of HE clarifying shampoo. Gives me more time to find a replacement shampoo. :D