PDA

View Full Version : Routine- Product Order

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 05:11 PM
After you've washed (or CO washed) and conditioned your hair..what products do you use next and in which order.

Mine looks like this usually~

Simple routine (less hold)

Wash or CO>Rince-out oil>condition>leave-in>few drops of mineral oil to seal

More curl and hold routine

Wash or CO>Rince-out oil>condition>leave-in>curl keeper serum/mineral oil>Gel

*I made a really nice batch of flax seed gel today and so far am loving it. Really clumped and defined curls well:cheer:

T.I.A for sharing,
Dollydagger:sun:

Groovy Granny
September 22nd, 2015, 05:23 PM
Shampoo (joico on scalp and shea moisture on ends > conditioner (joico rinse out on scalp to ends) > conditioner (shea moisture leave in on ends)

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM
Which shea moisture do you use GG? (been meaning to ask)

rhosyn_du
September 22nd, 2015, 05:35 PM
Shampoo (currently experimenting with different ones, but always sulfate-free) or CO (VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Vanilla Mint Tea) > condition (L'Oreal EverCurl) > leave in (KCKT) > a couple drops of oil (Nightblooming Triple Moon) > conditioning butter (Nightblooming Panacea Salve) > optional gel if I'm leaving my hair down and want to enhance my curls (Garnier Pure Clean Gel)

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 05:47 PM
^I also have the nightblooming oil. I use it in between washes usually if I feel ends are dry. I've also used it as a [part of a pre-poo overnight and the next day when I washed my hair was soooooo soft!

roseomalley
September 22nd, 2015, 06:22 PM
I wash with Klorane shampoo for grey or white hair, condition with whatever product I am trying that particular week, rinse out and final rinse with about one Tblsp. of white vinegar in a giant glass of water. Drip dry for a bit, then apply 2 drops of Camellia oil on my ends, and a dab of Simply Organic Bangs and Ends leave in comditioner on my ends. (I have baby fine hair, so I do not use a lot of product, which would way it down). I damp bun my hair and forget about it. :puppy:

jeanniet
September 22nd, 2015, 08:46 PM
I just CO with Suave coconut, use leave in, then a little Curl Junkie smoothing lotion and gel. Once I use up the rest of the conditioner I've been using for leave in I'll just skip that step. I don't really like having more than a leave in and gel on my hair.

yahirwaO.o
September 22nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
Im sort of back to minimalism childhood-teen days now. Im just diluting my shampoo (super cheapy drugstore gallon one) with water and some aloe vera drops (kinda concetrated but fantastic cosmetic use) and thats it .

Ocacionally, I would use some hairspray after, mineral-olive oil-conditioner pre washing or ACV, but I find my hair just reacts better if I dont add anything to it, just brush it and let it be. :o

Arctic
September 22nd, 2015, 10:13 PM
Usually: shampoo, conditioner, leave-in on sopping wet hair, then after some drying time (so hair is not dripping wet) I add product if I use any. Or if the product needs to be put on dry hair, then ofcourse I dry it first.

Groovy Granny
September 22nd, 2015, 10:17 PM
Which shea moisture do you use GG? (been meaning to ask)

I use the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter S&C and Elixir

restless
September 23rd, 2015, 03:09 AM
Whatever shampoo that smells good. Whatever conditioner that smells good. Done.

:D

(I sometimes use a single drip of oil or aloe vera gel the following day if my hair looks frizzy)

lapushka
September 23rd, 2015, 06:14 AM
After my wash routine (WCC/(ROOM)), I do LOC, or LCO, so leave-in, gel, and a serum.

school of fish
September 23rd, 2015, 06:31 AM
Pretty basic routine for me:

Mon & Fri -
S&C with Pantene Ice Shine, rinse thoroughly and finish with extremely diluted vinegar rinse.

Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun -
CO with Pantene Ice Shine conditioner, rinse thoroughly and finish with extremely diluted vinegar rinse.

Wed -
Deep treatment/colour using henna on roots & SMT on length, leave on for 2 hours then rinse out thoroughly, CO with Ice Shine, then finish with extremely diluted vinegar rinse.

Mine is less-is-more hair - it just doesn't do well with leave-ins of any sort. Oils, serums, butters, leave-in-conditioners... all they do is weigh it down, attract lint, and glue my ends together into fairy knots. A 'stretching washes, not getting hair wet in between' routine results in the same effect - it seems to need *some* sort of washing every day. My hair builds up so quickly and has such low porosity that it seems to crave regular removal of accumulation, rather than anything left in for protection, slip, definition, etc. :)

DollyDagger
September 23rd, 2015, 06:31 AM
After my wash routine (WCC/(ROOM)), I do LOC, or LCO, so leave-in, gel, and a serum.

Sometimes I get mixed up with which order they should go. Basically my order is similar to the one that waterlily716 uses. My serum goes after my leave-in but its not an oily kind of serum it's water based. So I think it's okay.

By the way lapushka how's it going this week after using the R.O.O again ..improved over last week?

DollyDagger
September 23rd, 2015, 06:35 AM
school of fish
You sure I can't entice your hair with a lovely heavy oiling of olive and castor..:) hehe...I tease
Low porosity is awesome! Id love some lower porositivity!positivly!

school of fish
September 23rd, 2015, 06:47 AM
school of fish
You sure I can't entice your hair with a lovely heavy oiling of olive and castor..:) hehe...I tease
Low porosity is awesome! Id love some lower porositivity!positivly!

DollyDagger are you trying to tempt me? Hahaha!!

The only problem with having this kind of low-porosity is that it can be really tempting to try things that others report such great success with - like RO or LOC or even just a teeny scraping of coconut oil on the ends - when you KNOW from bitter experience that you're not going to find the same success! It takes a kind of tenacity to stay the course when you know what your hair likes, while still trying to remain open enough to try new things :)

But forgive me if I skip your kind olive-castor offer... ;) Haha!

DollyDagger
September 23rd, 2015, 06:55 AM
:) It must be really great when you finally arrive at routine for your hair and get it really down pat!
I can relate though because some of the curly methodologies that should work ..don't work on my hair because it's quite fine or I have to adjust and use way less than a coarser curly would.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2015, 06:55 AM
By the way lapushka how's it going this week after using the R.O.O again ..improved over last week?

Yep, thanks so much for asking. No breakage, and I detangled early, just about an H ago. I updated my breakage thread! :D

DollyDagger
September 23rd, 2015, 06:58 AM
Yep, thanks so much for asking. No breakage, and I detangled early, just about an H ago. I updated my breakage thread! :D
Oh Im glad..thats good to hear! :applause Ill go have a look at the update..:D

school of fish
September 23rd, 2015, 07:12 AM
:) It must be really great when you finally arrive at routine for your hair and get it really down pat!
I can relate though because some of the curly methodologies that should work ..don't work on my hair because it's quite fine or I have to adjust and use way less than a coarser curly would.

It is VERY rewarding but takes a looooong time... this routine of mine has taken close to 2 years of active trial-and-error to find, in addition to factoring in experimentation successes and failures I've had over the years :)

And it's so true that some things that seemingly *should* work for one hairtype often *don't* work in a particular individual with that hairtype - I find this a LOT for me! What really helped me to streamline my experiments and target my issues was to search not only for the succesful routines of people with my same hairtype, but also those who reported their hair to *behave* similarly to mine - I found that cross-referencing those results really helped me see patterns :)

And in the meantime, it's best to relax and enjoy the experimentation process, since it can be such a long process - may as well have fun with it! And you do seem to be fully enjoying your journey DollyDagger!! :D

lapushka
September 23rd, 2015, 07:22 AM
Oh Im glad..thats good to hear! :applause Ill go have a look at the update..:D

Oh good, thanks! :thumbsup:

xoAshley
September 23rd, 2015, 08:19 AM
Every other day - Shampoo & Condition with Pantene Ice Shine, then apply Pantene Ultimate 10 BB Cream (leave-in).
Every Sunday - Shampoo with Ice Shine, then apply Pantene Intensely Hydrated Masque for an hour, then rinse out and apply leave-in cream.

sarahthegemini
September 23rd, 2015, 09:54 AM
Every other day I wash my hair so:
-Smooth conditioner on length
-Shampoo scalp
-Rinse all
-Apply leave in conditioner
-Squeeze excess water and leave to dry

Lauraes
September 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
I wash twice a week. I CWC: Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner, OGX Coconut Milk shampoo, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner. Then, I deep condition with the Shea Moisture masque mixed with olive oil. Finally, after I get out of the shower I use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine leave in conditioner. It sounds like a lot, but my hair *loves* moisture, and it really doesn't take that long to do everything.

Anje
September 23rd, 2015, 10:41 AM
Usually it's dilute shampoo --> conditioner --> towel turban til damp --> couple drops of sesame oil --> comb through. Pretty simple, but most leave-ins make my hair feel gunky compared to its uncoated state.

Frankenstein
September 23rd, 2015, 12:17 PM
I don't really use any products religiously as my hair doesn't seem to like them. My usual routine is just shampoo and condition, then every other wash or so add a few drops of coconut oil after washing.

TrapperCreekD
September 23rd, 2015, 01:00 PM
Shampoo→runny conditioner→ thick conditioner→ leave in (dollop of second condish) → turbie → Fox's shea conditioning cream→ KCCC

RottenMango
May 18th, 2019, 10:35 PM
If I’m wearing my hair down —> shampoo~ hair mask~ leave in conditioner~ serum.
If I’m wearing my hair in a bun —> conditioner~ leave in conditioner~ hair butter~ serum.

blackgothicdoll
May 18th, 2019, 10:41 PM
Most recently:
Oil > Shampoo > Hair Mask (or conditioner) > Leave in > shea butter > oil

Now I'm switching it to:
Oil > Shampoo > Hair Mask (or conditioner) > Leave in > oil

Liz_H
May 19th, 2019, 01:44 AM
--- schooloffish ---
When Henning your roots weekly, do you use a gloss or full treatment? It seems that would stop your roots from ever getting obvious. I like that idea!

Begemot
May 19th, 2019, 04:13 AM
I do CWC so conditioner, wash, conditioner (second C is a regular conditioner or a deep treatment). I apply leave-ins and oils on almost dry hair.

AutobotsAttack
May 19th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Part hair into sections
1. Pre-poo with Shea Butter for an hour or so
2. Shampoo roots only with Nizoral if needed, otherwise I use Sulphate free Shea Moisture 100% coconut oil shampoo
3. Condition with Deva Curl One Condition
4. Deep condition with Elizavecca Collagen Coating Treatment for 30 mins
5. Rinse
6. Leave-ins: Rose Water
7. Seal: MuruMuru Butter from ears down.

Groovy Granny
May 19th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Posted Sept 2015

Shampoo (joico on scalp and shea moisture on ends > conditioner (joico rinse out on scalp to ends) > conditioner (shea moisture leave in on ends)

I use the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter S&C and Elixir

Shortly after that post I stopped the SM products because the ARGAN oil stained my white/silver :tmi:

Now I use Joico/K Pak/ Neutrogena Triple Moisture S&C products and do W/ROO/C or Clarify/mask or Silver WCC as needed.

The conditioner that was used in the shower is also used as a leave in, and after my hair is dry I apply Biosilk Lite Serum on the ends.

Dark40
May 19th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Sometimes I'll co-wash using any cheap coney conditioner and then a leave-in conditioner, and air dry up to 4 or 5 hours. Then, I apply a Lotion with heavy oils in it. Next, I blow-dry it for only 5 minutes. Other times I'll wash with Herbal Essence Shampoo and condition with Herbal Essence Color Me Happy Conditioner.