PDA

View Full Version : Scientists: unboiling egg protein --> maybe hair in the future?

Arctic
September 22nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
I saw an interesting news from earlier this year, that scientists have recently learned how to UNBOIL an egg. In other words, they have found a way how to return the egg proteins into their original form, or something like that.

I leave you with this:

http://news.uci.edu/press-releases/uci-fellow-chemists-find-a-way-to-unboil-eggs/

Made me wonder if in the future this find could be used in cosmetic and hair industry too, to undo heat damage and maybe chemical damage of hair, for example.

What say you? It might be interesting to hear thoughts about this from those who understand and are knowlegeable about these kind of things :)

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 04:59 PM
As long as it doesnt scramble or rather unscramble my brain :)

Arctic
September 22nd, 2015, 05:02 PM
LOL :) I think your brain is safe as long as it's not coagulated by heat :D Oh and apparently they can't unscramble, only unboil :D

missrandie
September 22nd, 2015, 05:11 PM
I am thoroughly fascinated, to say the least!

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 05:13 PM
No it's just somewhat fried sometimes..lol
That would be really super freaky if they could do that with an egg though!!

Nevermind hair..what implications would it have in advancing medicine.. treating or reversing degenerative diseases and such!

kidari
September 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM
What a coincidence! My organic chemistry professor sent out an email about his colleague winning the Nobel Prize for that! Here is a short article on it:

https://ps.uci.edu/news/8907

That would be so cool to "undamage" hair like the "uncooking" of the egg.. it didn't occur to me how that could be related to hair until I saw this thread.

meteor
September 22nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
Awesome stuff! Thanks a lot for sharing! :thumbsup:

I remember reading about this a couple months ago - it made quite a big splash in chemistry news!

I think the implications for hair care can be pretty amazing, especially for all sorts of heat-styling and some chemical treatments.

-Fern
September 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM
*The Ig Nobel Prize is slightly different. :lol: And their technique converts unfolded proteins (such as cooked egg) into folded proteins (similar to the raw egg), which is different from repairing damaged proteins. So I'm not sure it would actually have an impact with hair... but we still have SO much to learn about protein structure that any research in that area is quite fascinating. :D