PDA

View Full Version : I messed up my cut

diddiedaisy
September 22nd, 2015, 09:49 AM
I've been pondering cutting myself a u shaped hemline. So I plucked up the courage today and went for it. I followed Feyes instructions to the t, I cut 1 inch off both sides. What do I have? A blunt cut 1 inch shorter!!!! Now I'll never get to bsl by Xmas

All I can think of that went wrong is that my hair must have been longer at the sides. I daren't try again in case I end up with chin length hair!!! Bah humbug

browneyedsusan
September 22nd, 2015, 10:04 AM
:justy:

I hate when that happens!
Did you look at your feet while sliding the ponytail elastic down? You can also make 2 ponytails to trim up the sides?
Video Tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=L9Erf49Eyxc)

(I usually try for a slight U-shape, and end up with either "straight across" or a "v". lol! )

lalepepper
September 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM
All I can think of that went wrong is that my hair must have been longer at the sides. I daren't try again in case I end up with chin length hair!!! Bah humbug

When I got a couple inches off recently my stylist told me they'll often leave the sides just a bit longer. You're much braver than I am! The most adventurous I've gotten with shears was trimming my bangs in college.

diddiedaisy
September 22nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
Browneyedsusan, I used the two pony tailed way, I really don't know what I could have done differently apart from leaving it to the professionals hehe

Lalepepper, I've always cut my own hair apart from the odd time. I hate going to the salon. And at this moment in time I think the word stupid is more apt than brave!!!

lapushka
September 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM
You wanted to cut an inch off, ended up with an inch off, so I don't get the comment about not ever getting to BSL... it's just that you ended up with a blunt hem instead of a U. :) No?

Arctic
September 22nd, 2015, 01:37 PM
I think diddie didn't want length off from the back, only to cut from the sides to shape an U-hemline.

I'm sorry Diddie it didn't end up like you had imagined. I have done the Feye's U years ago and from what I remember it worked ok, but it's been so long ago I don't remember details and can't really help with trouble shooting. I do remember it was scary the first time I cut from straight to U because it looked like so much hair was being cut off, even when the actual length wasn't touched.

MINAKO
September 22nd, 2015, 01:52 PM
I started trimming in 4 sections, cross wise from the crown. For the front parts i slightly tilt my head forward and for the bacl parts i keep my head straight. Results in a slight V for me, but i never cut enough to have a very full hemline, the last 5 inches have a good amount of taper so it doesn't matter if i'm very precise.

lalepepper
September 22nd, 2015, 01:58 PM
Lalepepper, I've always cut my own hair apart from the odd time. I hate going to the salon.
I can see why you would! My bad experiences have outnumbered the good. I'd like to cut my own eventually too. While it's definitely a pain having a growth setback, if it's a straight cut now, then next time the U should be no problem :)

diddiedaisy
September 22nd, 2015, 02:22 PM
You wanted to cut an inch off, ended up with an inch off, so I don't get the comment about not ever getting to BSL... it's just that you ended up with a blunt hem instead of a U. :) No?

As arctic said, I didn't want to take any length overall but just at the sides :)

lapushka
September 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
As arctic said, I didn't want to take any length overall but just at the sides :)

Oh okay, must have misunderstood then! Sorry. I doubt that something can be done with Feye's without overall taking length off, but it's so odd that you didn't end up with a U.

Wildcat Diva
September 22nd, 2015, 05:30 PM
I go to a barber that luckily cuts my hair exactly as I say, and I have figured that her method of trimming which involves pulling the side hair out to the side means that I end up with a U when all hair is pulled to the back. I go see her every couple of years or so for an inch off which reshapes things for the better so far. I went last year around Christmas and I'm planning on not trimming this year other than husband trimming it wavy strand by strand following the U on freshly dried wavy hair, only a micro trim.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2015, 05:45 PM
What works for me is to part my hair down the middle, then bring both sides together to form a single ponytail under my chin. The sides should be at the center of the ponytail. I find that if I cut straight across with my hair in that position, I get the U shape.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2015, 06:12 PM
What works for me is to part my hair down the middle, then bring both sides together to form a single ponytail under my chin. The sides should be at the center of the ponytail. I find that if I cut straight across with my hair in that position, I get the U shape.

I trim this way too and it is so easy. I get an almost unnoticeable V shape. Which I could easily turn into a U if I wanted to.

diddiedaisy
September 23rd, 2015, 04:44 AM

I'll try this way next time. I'm stepping away from the scissors until new year now!!!

Stiria
September 23rd, 2015, 06:02 AM
I do the same as spidermom, and I always get the U shape too. Good luck diddiedaisy, with your next trim!

Arctic
September 23rd, 2015, 08:51 AM

This sounds so easy, can't wait till my hair is long enough, should't take but few months.

- When you gather the hair in the under the chin pony, do you stand upright or bend forward?
- If you bend, how much? Do you glide the ponytail holder down?
- When you say you cut straight across, do you mean the scissors are parallel to the floor?
- How you make sure the sides are at the center? It sounds like you woud either in your mind think the ponytail as 2-d, and would divide it into 3: back of the head hair, side of the head hair and front of the head hair. You would comb carefully so the back is back, sides are at the sides, and front hair is in the front. Or you could have also mean that you think of the pony as 3-d and try to comb the side hairs inside the pony and surround them with the rest of the hair, but I'm sure the first option is the correct one.
- do you need to trim the back of the head hair in addition to this, or is this enough?

You could write an article about how you do this, it would be very helpful to many!

diddiedaisy
September 23rd, 2015, 10:45 AM
Good questions Arctic, I'm obviously one of those that needs very detailed instructions!!!

yahirwaO.o
September 23rd, 2015, 11:11 AM
I like spidermom method because it gives a precise fool proof way of getting a very even easy cut. versus regular Feyes Method. But I find on me makes a super V shape, which is not bad, but not the soft u shape I fancy. I prefer to do the side low ponys till my head backwards and slide the elastics right where I want to make the cut and well, cut it! It gives the soft round U shape versus a very strong U-V hybrid hem.

It all comes to personal preferences, but I still think spidermom method is really nice, simple and gives a nice U! :cool:

diddiedaisy
September 23rd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thankyou for for responses. I could do with one of those girls world heads to practise on hehe

spidermom
September 23rd, 2015, 06:31 PM
This sounds so easy, can't wait till my hair is long enough, should't take but few months.

- When you gather the hair in the under the chin pony, do you stand upright or bend forward? I stand upright.
- If you bend, how much? Do you glide the ponytail holder down? I keep my head level. I do not move the ponytail holder down. I comb the ponytail straight down, then close a child's small, hard page book over my length and slide it down toward the ends until only the part that I want to cut off is sticking out the bottom of the book.
- When you say you cut straight across, do you mean the scissors are parallel to the floor? Yes.
- How you make sure the sides are at the center? It sounds like you would either in your mind think the ponytail as 2-d, and would divide it into 3: back of the head hair, side of the head hair and front of the head hair. You would comb carefully so the back is back, sides are at the sides, and front hair is in the front. Or you could have also mean that you think of the pony as 3-d and try to comb the side hairs inside the pony and surround them with the rest of the hair, but I'm sure the first option is the correct one. I guess I'm thinking 2D, but I don't think of any of the hair as "front" except my bangs. I start out with hair that is hanging over each shoulder like this: ||_|| which represents (back/side_side/back) and I comb it forward under my chin so that it's like this \\_// (the straight line in the middle represents my chin). Therefore, each side ends up at the center of the ponytail. For a nice, even result, you want the hair to come forward smoothly over the ears without hairs crossing and twisting.
- do you need to trim the back of the head hair in addition to this, or is this enough? I like the shape as is, so no, I don't cut the back. If it came out to be too sharp of a V, I would make a ponytail in the back and slide the hair tie toward the ends to cut off the point, like in the Feye cut. But on me it doesn't make a V; I get a nice U result.

You could write an article about how you do this, it would be very helpful to many!

My reply is in bold above, and now the site is telling me that my reply has to have at least 10 characters.