PDA

View Full Version : Pairing Hemline and Hairtype

DollyDagger
September 21st, 2015, 07:19 PM
If you have a preference..

Which hemline do you think brings out the best in which hair type or vice versa?

T.I.A
Dollydagger

Groovy Granny
September 21st, 2015, 10:07 PM
I tend to go from slight waves in cold weather, to a full curl explosion in humid weather, so a *U* Hemline seems more flattering on me.

maskedrose
September 21st, 2015, 10:21 PM
Wavy here, and I prefer a U hem.

spidermom
September 21st, 2015, 10:25 PM
My hair is wavy, and I've tried blunt and straight across, but I don't like that because it looks like I have a little pinhead at the top and a great big sweep of hair at the bottom, like a cape. I like the U shape and the V. I haven't tried fairy tale ends yet so I guess that's next. Want to see some examples?

Anje
September 21st, 2015, 10:31 PM
I love curls and fairytale ends together.

My hair.... meh, it's mostly looking 1c lately and I think it'd look better with a thick blunt U. However, it's mostly fairytale ends because that's how it insists on being at this length. I can't talk it into anything else.

Wildcat Diva
September 21st, 2015, 10:54 PM
I think I am destined for wavy/curly (2C) with a U shaped fairytale-ends hemline.
http://imageshack.com/i/eywcFHH3j

momschicklets
September 22nd, 2015, 05:51 AM
Wildcat Diva....WOW! Stunning! I'm also a wavy, and definitely prefer a U hem.

missblueeyes
September 22nd, 2015, 07:32 AM
I like very soft u's or straight hemlines on everything below 2a, then come deeper u's and from 2c onwards I like v shapes and FTEs. :)

diddiedaisy
September 22nd, 2015, 07:38 AM
I think I am destined for wavy/curly (2C) with a U shaped fairytale-ends hemline.
http://imageshack.com/i/eywcFHH3j

I want it!!! :)

Wildcat Diva
September 22nd, 2015, 08:46 AM
Thank you momschicklets and diddledaisy.

missrandie
September 22nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
Diva is gorgeous. That is all.

For my hair, I had FTEs for many years, then blunt, then layers. I liked the FTEs the best. However, nowadays I would probably do a hybrid "soft" medium U shape with mild fairytales. I can't even describe the esthetic, just visualize it. I'm also wondering if my hair is wavier than previously thought.. But we will see.

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 09:23 AM
It looks like U hemline is in the lead for wavy/curly hair! :)

spidermom yes I'd love to see some sample/comparisons!

wildcatdiva gorgeous! My hair is sort of similar but finer..No doubt there will be fairtale-ing. Your hemline looks great!

parkmikii
September 22nd, 2015, 09:31 AM
Yep, u shaped hemline here too, and wavy. I also kind of have a bit of layers and fairytale ends :)

Shepherdess
September 22nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
I always preferred a blunt hemline before, but I have grown to appreciate my fairytale ends. Since my hair is 3a, it often looks much thicker at the ends than it really is, since it curls up. I kind of like the long curly taper it creates as my hair gets longer too. My ends become dreadfully uneven and the thickness ends at tailbone, with thinner ends going on to touching thigh. So when I let my hair out of a bun, the waves it creates can look very awkward with the thickness differences, but other than that, it is mostly unnoticeable.:)

jel
September 22nd, 2015, 12:47 PM
I used to like a sharp V hem, but got fed up with just a few longest strands in the middle and cut them off. I also like fairy tale ends, and had them for a number of years due to starting from a layered cut.

Now I have to admit I don't really care, as my hair is up 99% of the time! ;)

lapushka
September 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM
I'm a wavy, and tend to prefer V or U shapes (layered all over).

hennalonghair
September 22nd, 2015, 03:43 PM
I'm 2b to 3a and I prefer a blunt hemline with a slight curve @ the ends.

lalepepper
September 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM
I prefer blunt or gentle u-shaped hemlines for my straight hair.

meteor
September 22nd, 2015, 06:46 PM
I love the look of textured hair (curls, spirals, strong waves) paired with romantic layers, fairytale ends and V-cuts... :) And I find blunt lines and U-shapes to be such a gorgeous classic look on pretty much any hair type, IMO. :)

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 06:52 PM
I love the look of textured hair (curls, spirals, strong waves) paired with romantic layers, fairytale ends and V-cuts... :) And I find blunt lines and U-shapes to be such a gorgeous classic look on pretty much any hair type, IMO. :)
:) You just love all hair !! Me too !!

turtlelover
September 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
I tend to prefer a gentle blunt cut U shape on straight hair past shoulders. For some reason, I tend to strongly dislike layering in the back of straight hair. To me, it just ruins the shine and the waterfall effect that blunt cut hair can give. I know that choppy and textured ends are in style, but I just don't like the fad. On wavy hair, I prefer a deeper U, and perhaps some layering depending on the thickness of the hair. Curly hair pretty much always look better to me w/ some mild layering and a deeper U cut. For short hair, I tend to like it longer in front, shorter in back -- sort of a reverse inverted U. I never like fairytale ends except on SUPER SUPER long hair, and even then, I like some shaping to be done. I'm also generally not a fan of deep V cuts. I also like face framing layers on a lot of people, but not on everyone.

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
Do fairy tale ends mean theyre very uneven..? I dont even know...only fairy tale ends I ever heard of before here were at the end of books...lol :)

Shepherdess
September 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM
Do fairy tale ends mean theyre very uneven..? I dont even know...only fairy tale ends I ever heard of before here were at the end of books...lol :)
Fairytale ends are ends that are natural and not trimmed in a while. The last time my hair was trimmed was in October of 2014, so I consider my hemline fairytalish now. Every person is different when it comes to fairytale ends, but it can become a bit uneven since if you let your hair grow without trimming, each hair can sometimes come to different lengths. For me, I have a few hairs that like to grow faster and longer than the rest of my hair, so it can be interesting. :)

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 07:12 PM
Thanks shepherdess... I sort of was forgetting exactly what they were for a minute ! :)

Shepherdess
September 22nd, 2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks shepherdess... I sort of was forgetting exactly what they were for a minute ! :)
You are welcome! :) There are a lot of terms here! :D I sometimes have trouble remembering everything myself, even though I have been here for a few years. :p

DollyDagger
September 22nd, 2015, 07:17 PM
You are welcome! :) There are a lot of terms here! :D I sometimes have trouble remembering everything myself, even though I have been here for a few years. :p
Sure are!! :)

yahirwaO.o
September 22nd, 2015, 09:50 PM
I tend to prefer a gentle blunt cut U shape on straight hair past shoulders. For some reason, I tend to strongly dislike layering in the back of straight hair. To me, it just ruins the shine and the waterfall effect that blunt cut hair can give. I know that choppy and textured ends are in style, but I just don't like the fad. On wavy hair, I prefer a deeper U, and perhaps some layering depending on the thickness of the hair. Curly hair pretty much always look better to me w/ some mild layering and a deeper U cut. For short hair, I tend to like it longer in front, shorter in back -- sort of a reverse inverted U. I never like fairytale ends except on SUPER SUPER long hair, and even then, I like some shaping to be done. I'm also generally not a fan of deep V cuts. I also like face framing layers on a lot of people, but not on everyone.

I mostly agree with everything you wrote. Straight hair looks super smooth and flowless when blunt cut at the back.

On me I keep it in a soft u shape because its the easiest to trim myself at this lenght, but a straight across would fit better I think. My hair is straight and a lot of fine strands, so layers are simply not an option or else I have stringy ends! So blunt to keep fulness as much I can get :cool:

hypersensitive
September 22nd, 2015, 11:49 PM
Blunt for my 1b hair and fairytale for 3s, like Quixii :crush:

Stray_mind
September 23rd, 2015, 10:42 AM
My hair tends to balance between 1c and 2b. I like u shaped hemline on basically every type of hair. Blunt or v shaped hemlines aren't my thing.

school of fish
September 23rd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Broadly and generally speaking, the straighter and finer the hair is, the blunter I like the hemline to be, and the curlier and coarser it is, the more layers I like in the hemline. Of course there are exceptions but those are my general preferences.

For myself, since I'm a straight-y fine-y delicate-y hairtype, blunt is the way I'm going, both for aesthetics and strength. I used to self-trim a U-hem but found that not only did it make my hair appear shorter (especially from the front) but also the shorter parts of the U were weaker because they weren't as protected by the pack. My hair just looks longer and thicker when it's all one length :)

hennalonghair
September 23rd, 2015, 04:57 PM
Broadly and generally speaking, the straighter and finer the hair is, the blunter I like the hemline to be, and the curlier and coarser it is, the more layers I like in the hemline. Of course there are exceptions but those are my general preferences.

For myself, since I'm a straight-y fine-y delicate-y hairtype, blunt is the way I'm going, both for aesthetics and strength. I used to self-trim a U-hem but found that not only did it make my hair appear shorter (especially from the front) but also the shorter parts of the U were weaker because they weren't as protected by the pack. My hair just looks longer and thicker when it's all one length :)

I completely understand the concept of the ends being 'protected by the pack.'
The main reason I prefer I blunt hairline is because the hair gets protected by the pack, which helps keep it healthy to grow longer. What I found the most challenging about layered hair is the inability to retrim each of those layers individually which can lead to split ends. For my hair type, growing with layers or fairy tail ends just doesn't work. I end up losing my curl.

meteor
September 23rd, 2015, 05:42 PM
The main reason I prefer I blunt hairline is because the hair gets protected by the pack, which helps keep it healthy to grow longer. What I found the most challenging about layered hair is the inability to retrim each of those layers individually which can lead to split ends.
I definitely agree! :agree: It seems like the more "porcupine-like" structure (achieved by some types of layering) could be less protective for underlayers. Personally, I had the biggest issues with keeping ends fresh and "healthy" when they weren't all aligned in one layer.

I haven't found any research on this specific issue, but this old study (The critical determination of fine changes in the surface architecture of human hair due to cosmetic treatment. J. A. Swift and A. C. Brown. - http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1972/cc023n11/p00695-p00702.pdf) sort of shows it indirectly: it demonstrated (on page 5) how hair from temple area (virgin hair, 40 cm long) was a lot more weathered (and the weathering started higher up) than the rest of the hair because the subject touched that hair more, combed it more and pushed it away from face more, as well as due to more exposure to environment (sun, rain, dirt).
I think, basically, the canopy hair is like an "umbrella" for the underlayers, so if that layer is long enough to cover the rest of the mane, the protection is a bit more effective.

Shepherdess
September 23rd, 2015, 06:05 PM
The main reason I prefer I blunt hairline is because the hair gets protected by the pack, which helps keep it healthy to grow longer. What I found the most challenging about layered hair is the inability to retrim each of those layers individually which can lead to split ends. For my hair type, growing with layers or fairy tail ends just doesn't work. I end up losing my curl.

I definitely agree! :agree: It seems like the more "porcupine-like" structure (achieved by some types of layering) could be less protective for underlayers. Personally, I had the biggest issues with keeping ends fresh and "healthy" when they weren't all aligned in one layer.

I haven't found any research on this specific issue, but this old study (The critical determination of fine changes in the surface architecture of human hair due to cosmetic treatment. J. A. Swift and A. C. Brown. - http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1972/cc023n11/p00695-p00702.pdf) sort of shows it indirectly: it demonstrated (on page 5) how hair from temple area (virgin hair, 40 cm long) was a lot more weathered (and the weathering started higher up) than the rest of the hair because the subject touched that hair more, combed it more and pushed it away from face more, as well as due to more exposure to environment (sun, rain, dirt).
I think, basically, the canopy hair is like an "umbrella" for the underlayers, so if that layer is long enough to cover the rest of the mane, the protection is a bit more effective.

I agree with both of you and it is very interesting!!

I have never had layers done in my hair, but even so I know that in my experience, the hair underneath from my neck down never snarled as easy and always looked so much healthier than my top layer of hair. Since I implemented extra protection and better moisture in my hair care in recent years, both sides are nearly the same health. Though with my thin fairlytale ends I still can have trouble with breakage and drying if I don't give them extra gentle treatment, protection, and leave in conditioner daily (or twice a day).

Marikit
January 30th, 2016, 04:48 AM
http://pin.it/fAeAHiU

It's been a long time since I visited this website. I am still growing my hair long and it proves that it's not easy. I am still wondering what type of hair I have since I have a combination of straight, wavy, curly and some wiry hair. I appreciate your help.
:)

Marikit
January 30th, 2016, 04:50 AM
http://pin.it/fAeAHiU

Marikit
January 30th, 2016, 04:52 AM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6f/2f/e3/6f2fe332b3b390c501fa0b24b9bf692b.jpg

It's been a long time since I visited this website. I am still growing my hair long and it proves that it's not easy. I am still wondering what type of hair I have since I have a combination of straight, wavy, curly and some wiry hair. I appreciate your help.
:)

LeMimi13
February 14th, 2016, 05:31 AM
I cut like 3 inches and got a U. My bottom layer had been looking so uneven and broken on the sides, that it was necessary. Hope it looks nice when I was it!(It's blown out )
http://postimg.org/image/ildt1wdvd/

Strawb3rryBlond
February 14th, 2016, 05:37 AM
LeMimi13 I think it looks really nice!! Suits your hair perfectly.

Can anyone suggest a hemline shape for my hair? It is thick but quite fine, a little bit wavy and as you can see I am growing out blonde highlights.

I have this issue where the hair that falls to the front often sits in a way that makes it look longer than the hair in the back (even though it isn't) and it annoys me!

http://i.imgur.com/ajMNpAa.jpg?1

LeMimi13
February 14th, 2016, 05:56 AM
My hair is actually wavy, so thats not my real texture. Very hopeful though!
I think U shapes are universally flattering. My hair is also thick and fine.. That way it'd fiz thAt "problem" you mentioned!

lapushka
February 14th, 2016, 07:08 AM
LeMimi13 I think it looks really nice!! Suits your hair perfectly.

Can anyone suggest a hemline shape for my hair? It is thick but quite fine, a little bit wavy and as you can see I am growing out blonde highlights.

I have this issue where the hair that falls to the front often sits in a way that makes it look longer than the hair in the back (even though it isn't) and it annoys me!

I think it looks fine the way it is. :)

Mavi
February 14th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I would consider myself curly, and I definitely have fairytales. I think they look okay on me, definitely much more beautiful on other people. I think their is something particularly ethereal about curly fairytale ends.

maborosi
February 14th, 2016, 12:15 PM
For me and my hair, I prefer blunt or u-shaped hemline. No fairytailing for me. :(

MsPharaohMoan
February 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Strawb3rryBlond, I was thinking U shaped and then you mentioned your 'problem'. U shape sounds like it would fix it and look good! Your hair is very pretty :)