PDA

View Full Version : pre wash oiling v/s after wash oiling

excitedmom
September 21st, 2015, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone! !
As the title suggests, I wanted to see your take on pre poo oilings and its benefits and after wash oiling and its benefits.

The reason I ask is because I have almost APL hair and the most I ever achieved was BSL. I have always been a fan of llong hair but never knew a curly head could also attain long length (wish I'd found LHC way back then).. all I knew was pre wash oilings help hair overall including grow longer. So I tried doing that but I would shed so much that I thought it does not suit me.

But on the other hand, both my kids (10 & 8) have below hip long hair. And that too without much of particular care. I have always washed their hair once a week, let air dry, oil it (scalp massage a tiny bit and length too) then detangle using a little water if needed and then braid it and leave it alone.
S o both experiences are so different that I don't know what works ...since joining here, I've decided to persevere and started pre poo oilings along with co washing in my quest to grow my hair too thanks to all the inspirations here!!!

So what are you'd thoughts about these two oiling methods? In fact has anyone ever kept their hair oiled for a week??

meteor
September 21st, 2015, 07:31 PM
Great topic! :thumbsup:

Pre-poo oiling and post-wash oiling have somewhat similar but somewhat different purposes. I like to combine both. You may need to experiment with different ways of using oils and see what types of oils, amounts of oils and methods of application your hair prefers: e.g. pre-poo, oil rinses, oils added to conditioners, sealing with oil, gradual daily oiling, etc... As for your question on leaving oils for a week: sure, I've done it with LOC (leave-in + oil + cream) successfully, but the key is to use small amounts (it's easy to add more later, if needed), focus on ends only and not to go overboard, because oils attract lint/dust like magnet.

1) Pre-poo:
- reducing porosity temporarily,
- limiting exposure to harsh surfactants/minerals in the water,
- reducing hygral fatigue (from excessive swelling and de-swelling of hair fiber in water),
- reducing damage from wet abrasion associated with washing and wet manipulation.
Pre-poo oiling with coconut oil has been shown in a study (Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage - J Cosmet Sci. 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92) to reduce keratin loss during washing for both undamaged and damaged hair: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094

This study also suggests that penetrating oils, like coconut oil, are preferred in pre-poo treatments: Secondary ion mass spectrometric investigation of penetration of coconut and mineral oils into human hair fibers: relevance to hair damage - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11413497 :

This study also indicates that the swelling of hair is limited by the presence oil. Since the process of swelling and deswelling of hair is one of the causes of hair damage by hygral fatigue, coconut oil, which is a better penetrant than mineral oil, may provide better protection from damage by hygral fatigue.

2) Post-wash:
- occlusion - "sealing in" moisture from evaporating fast and penetrating fast (thus preventing frizz in humid conditions and excessive dryness in dry conditions),
- increasing elasticity,
- increasing slip, making detangling easier,
- reducing hair porosity,
- providing a protective film (helps with reducing damage from mechanical, chemical damage, daily wear and tear...).

This study explains the occlusion and moisture retention provided by oils on hair:
Effect of oil films on moisture vapor absorption on human hair - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17520153

The effect of film thickness on moisture absorption and the reverting of the sorption isotherm to that of the untreated hair after removal of the oil film shows that oil film is the main resistance to moisture diffusion. The lowering of the diffusion coefficient of water vapor by oil films will slow the loss of moisture, an effect similar to "moisturization" of hair.

Mineral oil and other non-penetrating, lightweight oils might be best for sealing moisture post-wash:
This study showed that oil film on hair from penetrating oils thins with time and application of heat, but the film stays on longer/thicker in case of mineral oil: Investigation of penetration abilities of various oils into human hair fibers - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16258695

spidermom
September 21st, 2015, 07:53 PM
Pre-wash oiling all the way! I wait until my scalp area is oily from natural sebum, then I oil the length, comb and brush thoroughly, braid, and wash the next day. I never-ever put oil on my scalp; that is what sebum is for. I don't like post-wash oiling because it attracts lint and dust to my hair, which causes tangles, which leads to split ends and breakage.

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM
I put baby oil on my hair after washing it and leave it in until the next time I wash it (so the oil stays in all week or longer). I prefer to oil my hair after washing it to retain more moisture. It works just right for me.

Frankenstein
September 21st, 2015, 08:49 PM
I don't have enough experience with pre-poo oiling to really compare since I've only done it a few times and over-oiled the crap out of my hair each time... But I often do post-wash oiling. Only a few drops for my fine hair and it seems to absorb better on my wet hair versus trying to wash it out of dry hair. I don't see much of a difference when I use oils after washing but I figure it doesn't hurt to do it and it works miraculously for many users on here.

Anje
September 21st, 2015, 08:51 PM
I haven't ever been impressed by pre-wash oiling. I put a few drops in my damp hair post-wash before detangling and am always happier when I do.

turtlelover
September 21st, 2015, 08:59 PM
I do pre-wash coconut oiling overnight twice a week and LOVE it! I sometimes will use a few drops of oil on almost dry hair after washing also, depending on what conditioner I use that day. With some conditioners, even a few drops of oil seem to weigh my hair down, while with others, I barely notice that it is there, aside from the fact that my hair has slightly more slip/softness.

Nadine <3
September 21st, 2015, 09:06 PM
I've never been a huge fan of pre wash oilings. I find I am constantly forgetting to do them, the oil gets onto my pillow/face/neck and causes acne and then I need to wash my pillow cases more. The results were never great for me either, I either don't get all the oil out or I shampoo to heavily and end up with dry ends and frizz. Oiling after a wash...meh. Sometimes I'll use a tiny drop to help smooth fly-aways or help detangle, but my hair is SO easy to over oil and then I end up with oily hair.

These days, I find it's better for me to oil during my wash. I either add the oil straight to my length in the shower before I condition (a good palm full of it too!) or I use a conditioner that I added a generous amount of oil and honey too. This way I don't get the oily hair issue, I don't have to do anything to prepare the night before, or even several hours before I shower and I get super soft tangle free hair.

excitedmom
September 21st, 2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks meteor(blush)
Ever since I joined here, I learnt about coconut oil snd so many others too that I didn't even know exist !!!! Since then I've done a few pre poo coconut and castor oilings . First time. around it made my hair so gorgeous that i becsme an immediate fan. But now maybe my hair doesnt need oil as mu h as now i feel it just makes it shiny and soft.but I also read here that shedding might increase the first few times but post wash not much sheds. That's true.
But in my kids case, I don't ever do "pre poo oilings" , only the oil I put on theit hair goes on once their hair is totally dry. I use either almind oil mixed in with baby oil or olive oil mixed in with baby iil. Baby oil is just tocut the greasiness of almond or olive oil. I am just amazed at the quality of their hair and length
With my own hair even coconut oil seems too oily but I use it anyways for pre poo. Post wash only argan oil on roots seems good.
The studies you mentione d seem interesting that will require more time snd focus that I eill invest later for sure. I am quite new to hait science and learning bit by bit. Porosity is kindling my interest at the moment.

Thank you so much for sharing your vast knowledge. Much appreciated.

missmelaniem
September 21st, 2015, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to get into the habit of lightly oiling overnight, so I guess thats pre-shampoo

Ive kept my hair oiled for a weekend, but I do shampoo daily so it would be oiled, shampooed out, oiled shampooed out so I guess its not 48 consecutive hours :)

One thing I dont do is oil my scalp. I do around the hairline (use baby wipes to get the oil off of your skin so you dont break out)but thats about it. I'm positive I will continue to oil as my hair grows out.

For me right now its definitley more getting into the habit than its needed. Not sure about hair growth but my hair seems to be growing in healthy and at about its usual clip of a little over 1/2" per month.

-Fern
September 21st, 2015, 09:28 PM
I don't mean to be difficult, but my answer to your question is NEITHER. I like the ROO (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191) method best! :hifive:

With pre-poo oiling, I tend to have a problem getting all the oil out... :shrug:

I do like to do post-wash oiling, but usually only 4-5 drops and only on wash days I don't ROO.

ETA: Oh, and I forgot... it changes with the season, too! During some times of the year, my hair needs different things. Like meteor mentioned, the two methods have different effects. Come winter, I will start babying my hair a bit more to help protect against the frequent temperature changes/dry air/wind damage. In summertime, mostly what I'm after is the occlusive effect.

excitedmom
September 21st, 2015, 10:55 PM
Pre-wash oiling all the way! I wait until my scalp area is oily from natural sebum, then I oil the length, comb and brush thoroughly, braid, and wash the next day. I never-ever put oil on my scalp; that is what sebum is for. I don't like post-wash oiling because it attracts lint and dust to my hair, which causes tangles, which leads to split ends and breakage.

I've also started pre oiling with coconut oil and I too keep it overnight and co wash in morning. Hmmm I oil my scalp first cos I thought we need to nourish it from inside too. But lately my hair seems to be doing fine if I miss oiling. In these cases I use argan oil after I wash.
For some reason my scalp doesn't feel oily but my length does after 3 days. Weird that I never notice any sebum. Maybe I should look more carefully (lol).

excitedmom
September 21st, 2015, 10:58 PM
I put baby oil on my hair after washing it and leave it in until the next time I wash it (so the oil stays in all week or longer). I prefer to oil my hair after washing it to retain more moisture. It works just right for me.

Aaahhhh!!! Maybe that's what's been working so well for my kids!!!!!

excitedmom
September 21st, 2015, 11:05 PM
I don't have enough experience with pre-poo oiling to really compare since I've only done it a few times and over-oiled the crap out of my hair each time... But I often do post-wash oiling. Only a few drops for my fine hair and it seems to absorb better on my wet hair versus trying to wash it out of dry hair. I don't see much of a difference when I use oils after washing but I figure it doesn't hurt to do it and it works miraculously for many users on here.

Thanks !!!! In my case I can't bring any oil near my or my kids wet hair. Mine feel really weighed down and kiddos feel greasy ( more with oil on wet hair than on dry hair for some reason).

jel
September 22nd, 2015, 01:28 PM
I just go by how I feel, sometimes before and other times after - and, occasionally, both! :D

lapushka
September 22nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
I like less oil, but oil on damp, freshly washed hair. You won't need as much after a wash as well.

Also, if you shed loads, I'd not let the oil touch the scalp as that may be the reason you shed more. Just focus on applying it from ear down. That should basically be enough anyway, for sure when your hair is 2b, and not in the 3s (curly heads may need moisture higher up the hair).

yahirwaO.o
September 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
Im pretty ambivalent about oiling. Like Nadine, my hair can easily get too much oil so I have to be careful.

Definitly prefer pree poo oil because my hair doesnt get stripped- super dry after washing and dries with zero tangles.

Post wash oil works for me sometimes, but I notice my hair gets duller and gets dirty faster this way, and my fine hair can't deal with being super flat and more oily.

I can get away easily without oiling, still I like to pre poo once in a while or when I feel my ends pretty rough!

vpatt
September 22nd, 2015, 04:02 PM
I have done scalp massages with coconut and castor oil for growth. I am responding here because with my short length the oil was in my hair all the way to the ends. It did not cause shedding but it was a challenge to wash out. Sometimes I left it overnight and sometimes just an hour or two. It did leave my hair feeling smooth and healthy. I haven't done this for at least a month and I am thinking of doing pre poo oiling on the ends now as they feel a tiny bit dry. I am reluctant to try oiling after washing because I have a somewhat oily scalp. I have bought two Garnier Fructis oils.....Marvelous Oil and Sleek and Shine. I have tried them and they (surprisingly) do absorb into my dry hair and do not leave it feeling oily. But I wonder if they are really good for hair.....they both contain some nice oils and also among other "things" dimethiconol. I don't know what that does for or to hair.

Namratha
September 22nd, 2015, 11:18 PM
I tend to keep my hair heavily oiled always. But before washing, I will make sure I apply loads of coconut oil and let it sit for at least 3 hours before washing. After washing, I will let my hair dry for a few hours and then oil again. I rarely stay with completely dry hair.

restless
September 23rd, 2015, 02:58 AM
I usually do pre-wash oiling twice a week and let it soak for a couple of hours. Ive tried oiling post-wash too, but the tiniest amount makes my hair greasy looking. No joke, one single drip for taming frizzy hair is almost too much!

kitschy
September 23rd, 2015, 06:15 AM
You're a curly. So am I. I do both. I sometime pre-oil, but I always post-oil. You're hair can probably take it and it won't weigh it down unless you have super fine or non-porous hair.

DollyDagger
September 23rd, 2015, 06:39 AM
I do some pre-poo oiling a couple times a week and Rinse out oil during washing/CO washing with either a few drops of grapeseed or mineral oil and then afterwards some mineral on damp hair.

luvlonghair75
September 23rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
I just pre-oiled with coconut oil last night and post-oiled with keratin oil after shower this morning. Nothing feels better than a head of healthy, clean hair! ;)

cathair
September 23rd, 2015, 03:57 PM
I pre-poo oil with coconut oil, because I want to protect it from swelling up with water and from shampoo etc while being washed. I leave it on over night, otherwise it would not wash out properly, because it has not had enough time to sink into my hair.

I don't post wash oil, because I don't feel like my hair needs it. It's weighed down very easily and looks dirty too fast when I've tried.

Bopoluchi
September 25th, 2015, 09:33 AM
my hair always has oil in it, feels naked without it. I pre-poo with coconut oil on my length and castor-kalonji-eucalyptus oil on my scalp, and post-wash i oil with olive oil over damp hair. during the week i'll mist my hair with aloe and rosewater and apply a bit more oil, especially on the ends and nape. i normally wear my hair up when i leave the house so having oily hair isn't really an issue for me. i have dark hair and dont notice much dust or lint in my hair in spite of all the oil i use.

AutobotsAttack
September 25th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I personally prefer post wash oiling. I just feel like it seals in the moisture better, whereas if I do a prepoo my conditioners or deep conditioners cant really penetrate as much as I would like.

Salwety
January 30th, 2016, 03:09 AM
I do both, though I don't oil the scalp post washing as I believe it will lead to hair shedding.
I would like to hear from you if any one has tried to oil the scalp for 2 or 3 days without washing and with no shedding, I will definetly do it ... my hair loves to be oiled.

TheaLee
October 2nd, 2016, 10:27 PM
I read about hygral fatigue and started pre-oiling. (pre-pooing doesn't sound quite right as I rarely shampoo) it seems to be a fine idea. I might start post-oiling too to help water retention, but idk the conditioner might be enough.

I would agree though, oiling the scalp and leaving it on smells like a bad idea. I've oiled my scalp for growth before but i always washed it out no later than 24 hours later.

animetor7
October 2nd, 2016, 11:16 PM
I have very fine, straight hair and prefer pre wash oiling with a modified ROO routine for my actual wash. My favorite is to add just a bit of oil to my ends throughout the week, and then the night before a wash do a fairly heavy oiling overnight as a sort of deep treatment. I like to use coconut oil for my dry hair oiling because it penetrates the hair shaft to help moisturize my ends and can act as a very mild protein treatment. While washing I use about 3-5 drops of mineral oil on wet hair s part of my modified ROO routine. I never use oil post wash on damp hair because I find it weighs my hair down too much. From seeing similar threads and the responses here, my guess is that you'll find that the people who like damp oiling after a wash will tend to have coarser hair, some wave or curl, or some combination of these factors. I think for fine and straight hair, post wash damp oiling is too much and weighs the hair down. Both curly or wavy hair and coarser hair tends to be a bit drier and can tolerate more moisture and heavier oils and treatments than fine and straight hair can. In any case YMMV and experimentation is key to finding out what works for you!! :) :flower:

hanne jensen
October 5th, 2016, 03:37 AM
What is ROO?

Groovy Granny
October 5th, 2016, 03:44 AM
What is ROO?

Rinse Out Oil

Mirabele
October 5th, 2016, 06:08 AM
i do both methods, i dont feel that i have to choose only one ;) . i use oil as pre-wash, i oil quite heavilly then. i also use oil after my washes, i put then some drops of oil in my hair each day after wash as well. i normally oil only my lenght, but sometimes i do scalp oiling as well. i haven't kept oil in my hair as long as one week, because i wash twice a week, but it happened that i have kept quite a lot of oil in my hair for several days.

hanne jensen
October 6th, 2016, 03:55 AM
I have a rather silly question. I use conditioner in the shower which never rinses completely out. Then I use a light coney serum. Sometimes I'll use a leave in conditioner. With all this stuff on my hair how will coconut oil before washing help?

meteor
October 6th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I have a rather silly question. I use conditioner in the shower which never rinses completely out. Then I use a light coney serum. Sometimes I'll use a leave in conditioner. With all this stuff on my hair how will coconut oil before washing help?

It will still help because the occlusives in that coney serum and rinse out and leave-in conditioners create only a light and permeable barrier, even if you use them quite heavily. If you use enough* coconut oil and leave it on for long enough*, you should still get some of the benefits that were supported in the famous coconut oil study*.

* Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage:

For the oil application, to each hair tress was applied 0.2 ml of oil (the quantity of oil normally applied by an Indian hair oil user). It was allowed to remain on the hair for at least 14 hr to simulate overnight application (the normal habit of the Indian consumer). These hair tresses were then subjected to both protein loss and WRI tests.
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf (p. 179)
(Length of tresses used in the study: 25 cm. - see p. 177)

Also, don't forget that hair's surface area is pretty huge**, so it's hard to completely soak it in something like a small amount of serum anyway, not to mention trying to keep hair from looking completely wet/less presentable.

(**http://www.hair-science.com/_int/_en/topic/topic_sousrub.aspx?tc=ROOT-HAIR-SCIENCE%5EPORTRAIT-OF-AN-UNKNOWN-ELEMENT%5EWHAT-WE-DO-SEE&cur=WHAT-WE-DO-SEE
I also made a spreadsheet for calculating surface area of hair, but I don't know how to upload it on TLHC. The idea is basically an easy adaptation of the cylinder's surface area formula without one end (2πrh + πr2), multiplied by assumed # of hair strands on scalp. If you do the calculations, it's pretty impressive how much surface area hair gains with every added cm of new growth, for example.)

Deborah
October 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I don't do anything to cause my hair to dry out, so I don't need to use any oil on my hair. My hair does not benefit from putting oil on it in any way, so why bother?

Happily, many long hairs do not need to use oil on their hair. It will grow long and healthy without this added step.

In my real life all of my friends have hair ranging from long to extremely long, some never having cut it at all. None of them use oil on their hair. I experimented with oil and many other things because of what I have learned on this list over the years, but realized that oil use was not beneficial for me either, so I gave it up.

I think it comes down to several things: The hair type you have naturally, what you do to clean your hair, how you dry it, what other products you may decide to use on your hair, how you style it, and how you wear it. All of these things together determine what is needed to keep your hair in its best condition. For many of us, less is more.

Larki
October 6th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I use both. I pre-poo for about an hour (or else deep condition) and then use just a drop or two afterwards as well.

lapushka
October 6th, 2016, 03:58 PM
What is ROO?

Rinse-out oil method (ROOM).
Link is in my signature. It's been on this board for a while now. ;)

hanne jensen
October 7th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Thanks for your reply lapushka. It really clarified things for me. Will now oil my hair with coconut oil the night before hairwash.

mizukitty
October 7th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I do it before and after! I find I shed less when I do a scalp/oil massage beforehand. And oil my length and ends lightly after. I'm pretty low maintenance with my day to day routines, but I really love my oils (essentials as well.)

Annalouise
October 7th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I have fine hair so I only oil pre wash. Sometimes I oil my length then I have to go to the store, but generally, I don't oil my hair when I go out because it will not look nice.
Right now I'm doing a pre-wash oil with jojoba and frankincense oil. I rub it into my scalp and do a scalp massage, and then oil the length. I leave it on for a couple hours or overnight then shampoo.
The frankincense oil makes my scalp feel tingly. And it smells delicious! :D

Lize
October 8th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I like oil. Especially now that the weather is starting to get cold and the air is getting dryer. I do both pre wash and post wash oilings. Pre wash I use a bit more oil which I let sit for a few hours and post wash just a couple of drops on the length. Sometimes I put a few more drops in between washes if my hair feels dry. I always use coconut oil for the length. I have also just started to put jojoba with EOs on my scalp before washing, but it's too early to evaluate that.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM
I do both. I use coconut oil to pre oil and then a mix of olive and vitamin e oil to post oil, my hair is pretty dry and curly and does not care which oil I use to do either. Lol.

restless
October 12th, 2016, 04:22 AM
I usually do pre-wash oiling twice a week and let it soak for a couple of hours. Ive tried oiling post-wash too, but the tiniest amount makes my hair greasy looking. No joke, one single drip for taming frizzy hair is almost too much!

Inspired by this thread I tried post-wash oiling again yesterday evening. I took two tiny drops of argan oil on my ends after showering, hoping it would soak up during the night. I woke up this morning, released my hair from the LWB and... sad, stringy ends greeted me. Nothings changed since last year then.

hayheadsbird
October 12th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Inspired by this thread I tried post-wash oiling again yesterday evening. I took two tiny drops of argan oil on my ends after showering, hoping it would soak up during the night. I woke up this morning, released my hair from the LWB and... sad, stringy ends greeted me. Nothings changed since last year then.
This is the issue I have too. Glad to hear I'm not alone!
I do wonder what's different about my hair that oil doesn't work it's magic like it does for others though.

animetor7
October 14th, 2016, 04:15 PM

This is the issue I have too. Glad to hear I'm not alone!
I do wonder what's different about my hair that oil doesn't work it's magic like it does for others though.

I think it's very easy to add too much oil when adding in oil while the hair is damp. It's never worked well for me at least. :shrug: On dry hair on the other hand, my hair drinks coconut oil right up!! :)

hanne jensen
January 13th, 2017, 03:32 AM
I've forgotten to oil my hair before hairwash. Now I have my tub of coconut oil right on the coffee table so I can see it. While watching TV I take my hair down and massage my scalp with the oil and grease my hair down on the evening before hairwash. I then de-tangle with my fingers and make my night braid. What a difference! Wow! Yesterday I didn't use conditioner at all. While my hair was slightly damp I lightly oiled with coconut oil again. My hair was very easy to de-tangle with my fingers. When it completely dried it feels a little dry but not snappy or tangly.

Pre oiling and lightly oiling after hairwash combined with finger combing only has made a world of difference for my hair. Even my fried canopy is behaving.

Ophidian
January 13th, 2017, 06:16 AM
I do both, though I don't oil the scalp post washing as I believe it will lead to hair shedding.
I would like to hear from you if any one has tried to oil the scalp for 2 or 3 days without washing and with no shedding, I will definetly do it ... my hair loves to be oiled.

I oil my scalp every night with castor. I only use a tiny amount but it stays on until I wash my hair (about a week). I don't have no shedding, but I don't notice more than if I don't oil. Massaging itself can loosen hairs that are about to fall anyway.

This is very individual and though it works well for me it won't for everyone. I have a normal to oily scalp fwiw. Try it if you're interested, only one way to find out if it works for you or not :)

daisychain
January 13th, 2017, 06:47 AM
I have normal to oily scalp, and I oil my scalp about once every week and a half with coconut oil. Oil scalp, leave on for about 2 hours, then shampoo and condition, and I've noticed less dandruff. I used to oil my length with coconut oil after washing, but for some reason it seemed like it made my ends brittle, and my hair just attracted a crazy amount of lint and fuzz. Now I very occasionally use argan oil after washing.

Carolyn
January 13th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I do better with pre wash oilings. The problem with that is an overnight pre wash oiling requires me to HAVE to wash the next day. Some days I'm too lazy to do it. Yes, I know I can bun up oily hair but I hate oily scalp hair in a bun. Now that we are in the middle of a cold, dry winter I really should get back to oiling more. Post wash oiling is a slippery slope for me. (Groan, I know that was bad but I couldn't resist.) I have a really hard time not over oiling clean hair. There have been so many times I've washed my hair and put a scant drop or two of oil on my length and ended up with a piecy, stringy mess that had to be worn up. I rarely wear my hair down and there are times when I plan to wear it down. A single drop of oil can change those plans. So I'm better off doing pre wash oiling and CO'ing it out.

Ophidian
January 13th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Like daisychain said, I find that the scalp oiling helps with buildup/flaky scalp. It's kind of the same idea as the oil cleansing method for skin.

Yeah, coconut oil can make ends crunchy. My hair does well with it, but I tend to use olive oil on the ends after washing for it's sealing effect. Keep meaning to try almond but have yet to buy some.

I love the idea of heavy oiling and I think it would feel amazing, but the length of my hair seems to prefer a small amount of oil and/or sebum on the strands at all times. Otherwise it's like every hair for itself :silly:

Epie
January 13th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Post-wash oil! I have tried pre-wash oiling and I remember it did not go well.

daisychain
January 13th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Ophidian I'm glad I'm not the only one! Never imagined oil would help my scalp but not my ends, always thought the reverse was true.

Ophidian
January 13th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Ophidian I'm glad I'm not the only one! Never imagined oil would help my scalp but not my ends, always thought the reverse was true.

I know, it seems very counterintuitive :)

Salwety
January 17th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Thank you Ophidian. I will try it using a mixture olive, castor and almond oils. Then use a scarf to wrap it as in the GHE growth method. Hope it works.

Hairkay
January 17th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I do both. Mostly I put a tiny bit of oil on damp hair ends after washing.It stays that way until the next day when I wash my hair again then repeat the oiling. On days when my scalp is too dry or gets a bit flaky then I'll put a tiny bit of olive oil on my scalp for 20 minutes before I do an oat water rinse. Then it's back to oil on hair ends. I wouldn't go for heavy oiling. That'd be a nightmare to try and get out on the WO method. That's also unnecessarily wasteful to me.