PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

TennesseeGirl
October 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I am having a hard time deciding if I should cut my layers off now or wait till it gets longer to get them cut off. I am in such a hurry for my hair to grow the thought of getting it cut to almost shoulder length does not make me happy. Part of me is thinking it might be even harder with the longer it gets. I some very blunt down right ugly layers that I am trying to grow out. I had a bad hair cut about two years ago and I have been working on getting rid of them. The problem is they end up getting splits too so then I end up having to chop them again and they just dont seem to be going anywhere. Ahh I am trying to decided what to do. What would you all do if it was you?

MissHair
October 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I decided to let my layers grow but they ended up very uneven so I ended up cutting my hair anyways. The last chop I made was few weeks ago, I chopped all the way up to my bangs, because my hair was so uneven and even though its shorter than shoulder lenght, Im really pleased with it and try not to obsess over the lenght, Ive grown to appreciate quality over lenght. Do what feels right for you. If you regret a cut, remember that it always grows out.

ladyshannonanne
October 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'd wait until my hair was longer. Put it up in a ponytail and forget about it for six months.

Magdalene
October 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
is it long enough to bun? So you can hide it and forget about it for a while?

Otherwise, I might trim just the longest layer, and let the shorties catch up.

Deborah
October 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
It sounds like you genuinely dislike the old layers. For that reason, it it were me I'd cut to shoulder and grow on from there with a nice blunt look. Your hair will feel more swingy, thick, and just generally nice. It will already have 'style', and won't look and feel raggedy. Then you can just let it grow and grow, letting the old hair memories go, with a fresh new start.

Chromis
October 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Your profile says "absl". I would grow the rest of the way to bsl and then just do small trims until you've caught up with the layers rather than one big chop or else just do little microtrims. I would not personally go any shorter than that because it becomes too hard to put up. In the meantime, putting it up will disguise the layers and keep the ends from getting worse.

FrannyG
October 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
You will get as many different answers as there are members here. So, having said that, I'll tell you exactly what I would do, and have done.

I would get rid of the layers and start growing with a fresh start. Like removing a band-aid, it hurts for a moment, but at least it's all done. You won't have to live knowing that all those layers have to go "one day". You can cut it, and then keep a'growin', knowing that from there on out, you have no big chops in your future.

I wish you the best, no matter what you decide. :blossom:

TennesseeGirl
October 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I still cant make up my mind. AHHH. My layers are strange too my hair looks like I have two totally different haircuts. I will have to have hubby try some pics because I just can not explain it well.lol

Periwinkle
October 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Personally, I'm doing the growing route.

I have one HUGE layer where basically all my canopy is taken off (stupid hairdresser...) and then some others higher up. To get rid of them all, I'd have to go to shoulder length. However, it's only the last one that really bothers me, so I've decided to live with it for now (I don't have much length and this is the longest my hair's ever been, so I'm loathe to cut it) and then when the part of my hair above that layer is at waist, I'll cut to there. I know when I'm going to do it, so I'm prepared for that, and it'll also take me a while to reach there so with trims in between, there'll be less to chop. Waist is still reeeaaalllly long to me so it shouldn't be too bad, though obviously it's always hard to lose length.

Just how many layers do you have? Could you do the same as me and maybe cut out the worst of them but not all? I don't understand what you mean by 'absl', but it doesn't sound incredibly long, so personally I'd probably just chop, but I know that that's very hard to do (or else I'd've done it!).

Euphony
October 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm on the same journey and I'm growing mine. This time last year my shortest layer wavy was apl, now it seems to be bsl while my hemline is nearly tail bone when pulled straight. I'm shooting for tail bone wavy then I'll trim an inch ever couple of months til my layers catch up, so I'll be at tail bone for a while.

I don't notice splits or raggedieness in my layers. My hair is in quite good condition from root to tip, I do baby my hair however.

spidermom
October 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Grow for as long as you can stand it, then find a good stylist who supports your goal for longer hair and ask for a minor trim of layers and length. I started my growing journey with layers, and my hair stylist would cut maybe 1/4 inch from my layers and 1/2 inch from my length. By the end of 2 years, no more layers AND increased length. It was win/win.

suicides_eve
October 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
i am doing baby trims on my longest length and letting the others play catch up , it looks a bit ratty but i know soon enough it will be straight and not so v and layerd

burns_erin
October 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I am just letting mine grow out. But, i do keep it up in ponytails or buns or looped ponys the vast majority of the time. I also am a big proponent of search and destroy through the layers to keep the split ends minimal.

http://a811.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/52/m_49d351d3545b658c4a69dbe44c05968a.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=382645505&albumID=727311&imageID=7632076)

Isblå
October 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hmm. I would suggest you really listen to the little voice inside and try to find out what will make you happy. Do you like your hair the way it is now? How would you feel if you cut it to the length of the shortest layer? I also think that I would have looked at an in-between solution? Could you do a trim now, to reduce the layering, but keeping some length? I wouldn't have hair that I dislike just to have the length. But if you like your hair now, but want to get rid of the layers in time, a diffent route to the goal is possible.

Leabhar
October 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
If the layered bits are splitting...then cut it back to blunt. After it's one length, you can focus on taking care of it and just growing it!

Keeping it layered for it to be long and dealing with splits is just handicapping your growth and piling on unneeded worry, imo. :)

rubyredslippers
October 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM
What about putting those layers up in halfups with claw clips or something, to keep them out of your way, and make your hair blend a little better? There have got to be some styling options in which you like your hair, you just need to experiment! Good luck.

paper
October 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I cut an inch off my back every few months, to get rid of layers.

TennesseeGirl
October 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. As of right now I think I am going to slowly cut them out. My stinking hair grows sooooo slow so i dont want to lose the little bit of length I am getting. I usually just wear my hair up in clip and do half ups bc if I don't us a curling iron on it looks really bad. Trying to stop doing that to get my hair in better shape.

Speckla
October 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I was going to suggest mini-trims and half updos but these other smart ladies beat me to it! :)
________
JUSTIN BIEBER (http://justinbieberfan.info/)

zen_oven
October 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I feel your pain. I'm dealing with my accursed layers too. Thing is, mine actually look pretty good, and if I got it cut off to shoulder length I'd wind up with the dreaded "triangle head." Long story short I'm leaving mine alone. There's such a huge difference between layers that I'll have to wait until the top layer is at BSL before I'll feel comfortable cutting it, and it'll be traumatic anyway.

I saw you've made a decision, so I just wanted to chime in and let you know you're not alone.

wintersun99
October 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM
[................

willowcandra
October 10th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Me personally...I would trim say 1/2 inch every tow months. That way I would still be gaining length but the layers would slowly dissapear. I wanted length so I set myself a goal length with minor trims along the way and then decided to cut off all new growth in regular trims for a few years when I got there. So far I have cut off four inches this year and all the layers and virgin hair are finally catching up.

WavyGirl
October 10th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I had the same problem - not layers but damage. I decided to let it grow. I've done a lot of smaller cuts over the last 3 years and gained some length, but the ends have given me grief throughout. I think if I knew then what I know now, I'd have cut and started from the shorter length. Every goal I meet is with the thought that I'm not really there because of old hair I know has to be cut sometime. It must be nice to meet a goal and just be there with no other waiting involved.

lora410
October 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I'm letting mine grow out, and right now I have 2 layers. One is about collarbone and the other is 1 inch above my longest. My layers grew in quite fast.