PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been surprised by their hair?

Robi-Bird
September 20th, 2015, 01:56 PM
I've said this before, I've always thought of myself as straight haired, when my hair was shoulder length in my late teens it certainly looked straight, at least in the photos I have. And it is pretty straight, with a hint of a long s wave when I brush it. And I almost always brush it to tame the poof. Well I started suspecting I was deluded, or blind and finally fully let my hair dry in its natural texture without so much as a finger comb and this happened.

http://i.imgur.com/REiFQCN.jpg?1

It's a bit... a lot wavier than I thought. It's 70%-80% dry at this point, I'm not anticipating a lot of change when it dries. Not sure what to do with this discovery!

So how has your hair surprised you? Did you colour change? Thickness, etc?

vpatt
September 20th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I also discovered more wave than I ever realized I had. I had used a blow drier when I had long hair years ago. I am guessing that is why I never knew. But I'm not sure I have enough wave to really show up without a layered cut. But it was very interesting to discover. Good luck with your 'new' waves.

Nique1202
September 20th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I used to go to a "professional" to get my hair done and I never realized how much she was thinning it out. I knew she used thinning shears AND usually kept layers in it, but discovering just how thick my hair is when it's left on its own has been a mixed blessing.

Also, I never thought of my hair as very curly because I'd so often blow dry it and brush it heavily and dye it and do all kinds of stuff to change the texture, I honestly thought it was more like a 1c even when I first started growing out here because my curls don't start until my shoulders anyway, so finding myself with lots of loose spirals instead of a big old frizzy puff going down my back has been a very lovely surprise.

lapushka
September 20th, 2015, 03:14 PM
That looks about 2bish to me, maybe even 2b/c. Pretty! :D A nice discovery, if you ask me!

DreamSheep
September 20th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Same for me - discovering my hair wasn't straight but had body and a lot of wave was awesome to find out! :)
and the fact that thick hair looks better (on me) long. I was expecting to go short again quite quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised :)

meteor
September 20th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Yes, the first time I saw a picture of my hair from the back, I was surprised to see a well-defined S-wave or 2, because my hair looks straight from the front. Others told me I have body waves, but I don't see them much from the front.

Also, when I stopped doing anything damaging to my hair, I was surprised to see that it needs practically nothing. :bigeyes: I can wash it with whatever, not brush it, and it acts just right for me! It used to take so much effort with all the leave-ins and stuff when the hair was shorter and misbehaving.
I find, the longer it gets, the less work it takes and the less stuff it needs, it looks best if you just let it do its thing - I think that *really* is the big nice surprise. :D

Angela_Rose
September 20th, 2015, 06:27 PM
This seems silly, but I am occasionally surprised by the length. It isn't down very often, and when I washed it last week the feeling of the ends snaking wetly at my claves was really a bit of a shock.

AutobotsAttack
September 20th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Well my hair suprises me a lot with its growth and strength. Espeacially since I relax my hair. Other than that, my hair tends to be rather low maintenance.

beabees
September 20th, 2015, 08:17 PM
I'm always surprised when I see a photo from the past and realize how much length I now have.

Another thing that surprised me is that I've bleached my hair 8 times to go from henna to blonde but my hair is still in better condition compared to when I straightened it often before I learned everything from LHC.

DollyDagger
September 20th, 2015, 08:36 PM
yes..I'm surprised at how curly I can make my hair with encouragement! and their fragility..lol

Nadine <3
September 20th, 2015, 09:59 PM
My hair surprised me with waves but then I trimmed out the layers I had and my hair got longer and all the waves got pulled out.

Groovy Granny
September 20th, 2015, 10:31 PM
I was also surprised at the curls I get when they are encouraged in humid weather.
Wasn't a real fan at first (especially at shorter lengths) but now I love it, because in the Winter it is really sleek and slippery with maybe a slight wave.

Alastríona
September 21st, 2015, 12:00 AM
I have always since a child thought of myself as a redhead and been surprised when I looked in the mirror and saw dull mouse. Now I chemically alter so it's a nice surprise :-)
I'd love waves though! That would be an awesome discovery! :-D

squirrrel
September 21st, 2015, 01:46 AM
I'm another who was surprised by waves when I always thought of myself as having straight hair. No wonder I thought when I first joined that my hair looked damaged (well, the brushed out waves, alongside many splits...).

Marika
September 21st, 2015, 03:32 AM
I've also been surprised by the waves. When I first came here on LHC, I hair typed myself as 1b (not stick straight but almost). Then I changed it to 1c but now I feel like l'm even more wavier than that even though I use cones pretty heavy-handedly.

I'm growing out henna but when I had natural hair color, I was surprised how red it looked in photos and in certain lightning. I've also been called blonde here on LHC which is surprising because here up north (Finland), no one would consider me blonde :p

Robi-Bird
September 21st, 2015, 01:33 PM
Since my dream hair has always been curly/wurly, seeing a strong wave in my hair was a pleasant surprise. I do think the layers make the mass light enough for the waves to come out, no layers and my hair doesn't do much. I need to learn to style it, find the right defrizzer or make my own. Happy surprise is happy.

I'm amused and glad that I'm not alone in my: "what you doing hair?" thinking.

Five of Five
September 21st, 2015, 04:24 PM
I seriously underestimated my ultra-fine hair's resilience for most of my life.

Where I live, there are very few people with long (past hip - tailbone) hair, and those that have it are almost exclusively type C/iii. I thought there was absolutely no hope for mine, which tended to get very damaged past APL due to neglect of the non-benign kind.

I never imagined I'd be here now at almost tailbone, still growing strong with very few splits, just by making a few very simple changes. Thanks, LHC!

missrandie
September 21st, 2015, 05:26 PM
I'm surprised by how fluffy my hair is! It keeps growing out instead of down. Never thought I would complain about volume :)

Christine_O
September 22nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
I'm another who was surprised by wavy hair, but that was many years ago. Now I'm waiting to be surprised by how long my hair can grow.:popcorn:

Neptune
September 22nd, 2015, 08:31 PM
Yep!! Growing up I always thought my hair was stick straight!! When I was around 20, one time (*gasp*) I didn't comb it straight out of the shower. SURPRISE!! Waves everywhere :)

Jadestorm
October 12th, 2015, 03:23 AM
My hair surprised me a while back when somewhere on this forum I wrote how people think my hair is naturally wavy but it really is straight. On that remark I got some comments asking if I was sure and if I ever let my hair air dry completely without brushing whilst still wet. I always brush when still reasonably wet, so I took the challenge and... oh my :surprise: ... I DO have naturally wavy hair! :silly:

I still feel so stupid, haha. I just always brushed my hair while wet and assumed the waves I had were from my night braids and from drying my hair in a twisted towel. Apparently not! :lol:

Olavi
October 12th, 2015, 04:35 AM
It surprised me how thick my hair is. I already knew I had lots of hair (double amount of hair dye wasn't enough) but I when I was about to measure the ponytail I was pretty sure the result wouldn't more than ii. It ended up being iii without question and all my hair didn't even reach the ponytail. My hair also have more body than I thought. As a teenager (which was the last time my hair was longer than long bob) I had really straight hair, but I also used tons of silicones back then and brushed my hair when wet all the time and my hair also was bit damaged from dyes. Now I don't use dye or silicones at all and rarely brush my hair while damp (gently with either Tangle Teezer or wooden comb), and my hair seems to have long waves. We'll see how it is when it gets longer.

Zesty
October 12th, 2015, 05:16 AM
Another one with secret waves here. I wanted to type myself as 1a when I first got here (:lol:) because I didn't understand the nuances of the hair typing system.

My hair is also surprising me with its length recently. :) Creeping up on waist and my side braid falls aaaalmost to the bottom of my bust, plus I can do buns I couldn't do before. I remember when loose hair barely fell to the top of my bra in front. Yay growth!

lapushka
October 12th, 2015, 05:40 AM
My hair surprised me a while back when somewhere on this forum I wrote how people think my hair is naturally wavy but it really is straight. On that remark I got some comments asking if I was sure and if I ever let my hair air dry completely without brushing whilst still wet. I always brush when still reasonably wet, so I took the challenge and... oh my :surprise: ... I DO have naturally wavy hair! :silly:

I still feel so stupid, haha. I just always brushed my hair while wet and assumed the waves I had were from my night braids and from drying my hair in a twisted towel. Apparently not! :lol:

That's nice, Jadestorm. I remember when I got that shock that I had a bit of a wave to me. :lol: All through my teens I though I had straight (but frizzy) hair. The things I did to combat that! OMG!

Arctic
October 12th, 2015, 06:55 AM
All of you who thought you were straighties but found out you are wavies:

Did your "straight" hair act and look like straight hair or like mis-treated wavy hair?

I ask because I used to have straight hair (and fine), and when I joined here I typed myself 1a, but soon changed to 1 b because that was more accurate, as I always had had some bend in my ends. After a while I noticed suddenly I had LOT of strong s-waves, starting from the scalp. They seemed to appear out of the blue one day. The hair I have today, acts and looks like typical wavy hair, where-as my old hair acted and looked like typical straight hair.

This has always been a bit of a mystery to me, as it conveniently happened some time after I had joined LHC, and I no doubt had started to get my hair strands more moisturized. But there are 3 buts.

One, that I had other hairtype changes also, my strands became coarser and wirier, and I developed clear wave growth patterns on my scalp (I mean before my hair grew flat against my scalp and straight down, and now the hairs against the scalp started to form s-shapes, and were not growing straight down, although still grew against the scalp [with the exeption that during the recent year or so the hair at the top f my head has started to grow straight up rather than against my head, creating a natural root volume I've never had before]). My cowlicks at the crown also got bigger and worse.

Two, the waves that seemingly happened over night, were really impossible to miss, I could not have been without noticing them - unlike so many of you who say you never saw the back of your head, I regularly saw the back of my head, I never since my teens have left home without checking the back of my head.

And third, my hair had always acted and looked like straight hair should. I never had frizz or poof; it was limp, against my head, straight, smooth, silky, no body, no bumps, no volume. If the wearther was humid, my wavy haired friend's hair poofed up while mine went if possible even flatter against my head and hanged down super limp and straight - we always had laugh about the opposite reactions. I never blowdried or straightened or brushed. I did run a comb through after washing (ETA now that my hair is wavy, a mere combing does not pull the waves out, and all I did was comb back then). My hair couldn't hold curls at all, they dropped after few minutes. I couldn't really style my hair, back combing slid down, styling products couldn't give me volume, etc etc. I coloured my hair for years but by the time I came to LHC I had been henna head for a long time already.

My routine post-LHC did change: I started to experiment with CO, CWC, oiling... but in general I had nice, heatlhy hair without any damage or problems when I came here, possibly it was a little dry but not so dry it would have felt dry or rough. I mean dry in a way that it had felt good before, but seemed to readily absorb the extra moisture I was now giving to it. I knew about silicones and clarifying and many other things before LHC too (although not as deeply as I do now), and favoured silicone-free products. In addition to this, my scalp hated most LHC style methods, and I returned pretty much to my old routine of S+C after it became clear the new methods caused me scalp problems - but the waves stayed even after I moved back to less-moisturizing routine. I have also cut my hair short inbetween and grown out again, and the waves have stayed (although they are now milder than they were at their best, when I was able to coax out 2c-ish waves, now they are even with coaxing only 1c-2a mix).

So I have always been wondering, as I have read these stories that are present in this thread too, whether I too had secretly wavy hair prior. I have come to conclusion that my hair was straight prior, because it behaved and looked 100% how straight hair is described, and I never ever saw any charecteristics of wavy, or mis-treated or mis-diagnosed secretly wavy hair - as a long time member I am familiar of the stories of "I thought my hair was frizzy and straight but then I realized it's wavy". I never experienced anything like that. ETA: Also no-one, friends, family or stylists, have ever thought my "old" hair to be anything but straight /end ETA. I did have a rather big hairtype change in general during this time, which to my understanding are hormone related, so it is logical that also the new waves would be because of that. Oh and my diet had changed around this time a bit, but possibly in hair context signifigantly, as I had moved in with my now ex fiancé, and started to eat more regularly and more protein.

But there is always a little voice which questions my conclusion. That's why I wanted to know, how many of you secretly wavies actually had a hair that had all the characteristics of straight hair before, or was your hair poofy, frizzy and whatever typical characteristics people often mention, when it comes to mis-treated wavy hair?

LiiAme
October 12th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I had a bit of a hair surprise when I was around 13. I went to a hairdresser (picture and all in hand) to get my hair cut approx shoulder length. I emerged with a longish pixie cut and was obviously very upset about it. Funny thing - this is how I realised my hair is wavy. When mom retells the episode, even now (almost 16 years later) she makes mention of "the big, loose waves" that she never knew were there before! :D

kaylenfalse
October 12th, 2015, 08:11 AM
I am the first and only person in my family to have wavy hair. When I was a child, my mom would brush out my hair after every bath, ripping out the tangles while I cried. So we cut it all off. I always, always brushed it while it was wet. I thought i was born with terrible hair. It was straight is but throughout the day it would pick up some weird waves, with one side curling up under my chin, and the other side flipping away from my face. It wasn't until I was 15 that I forgot to brush my hair after the shower, and suddenly I discover that I have beautiful wavy/wurly hair. Whaaaat? And that's when I started to grow my hair out and swear off straightening. I love my wavy hair, even if it's frizzy. I still don't know how to take care of it or style it, but I'm learning.

sweetaj
October 12th, 2015, 08:37 AM
I'm joining the I-thought-it-was-straight-but-it's-wavy club. A few years ago, I was getting quite annoyed at my chin length hair - I couldn't get it to lay down nicely, even with a straightener - it always looked frizzy! That's when I realized that my hair wasn't as straight as I thought it was. I just started taking care of my curls (and gave up the flat iron) about 4 months ago, and while I initially called it a 2B, I'm getting more and more spirals every day. I have no idea where I'll end up, but my 1st goal is length - if I end up with no curls when it grows out, so be it.

cat11
October 12th, 2015, 09:49 AM
My hair has always been really curly, but now that it's longer and I bun it all the time I never really see my ringlets anymore. I wanted my hair to get stretched out but I never dreamed it would be this effective.

Robi-Bird
October 12th, 2015, 03:24 PM
My hair only showed its wave when it grew long-ish and had layers put in, otherwise I was a coarse triangle head and prior to growing it out my hair was typically very short. Oddly enough, as a child, my hair would not hold a girl. Even as a teen actually. In those few years my hair was 3 inches long instead of less than one, rollers or curling iron curls would disappear in 15mins. I suspect that without the layers my hair would appear as I thought before, 1b or so. My hair's heavy and I've a lot of it. Now I think the layers are a bit awkward, too extreme maybe but I'll deal with that in the New Year.

Right now I'm just trying learn to deal with the waves, that I am thrilled to have, while not exacerbating my naturally oily skin and scalp.

cadencesday
October 12th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Yes, my hair is fast growing and pretty healthy. I don't do much to it, which is why it's healthy. I had it long layers put in and had it thinned out in June. I regret it because the bulk of my hair is gone but in just 4 months it's almost to my waist again after having 6 inches cut off. After lurking on this site off and on for a few months, I've been inspired to grow it out again. I love this forum now.

Soulina
October 13th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I gave up dye almost year ago. I am surprised that my color is actually more brown than dark ashy blonde. First It looked that it will be dark blonde, but now that I have 10-12 cm virgin growth I would say its brown. I will post picture someday here so I get your opinions on it as well :)

Also which surprised me even more was that my hair is so much thicker. My ponytail has doubled, you can clearly see when braided that it looses more than half of thickness after inch or two of braid. I always lost huge amount of hair after each dye but did not think it had this much affect. Now I only need to be patient and grow the damage out, few more years and I will have my virgin hair (okay maybe 4-5 years) .

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I gave up dye almost year ago. I am surprised that my color is actually more brown than dark ashy blonde. First It looked that it will be dark blonde, but now that I have 10-12 cm virgin growth I would say its brown. I will post picture someday here so I get your opinions on it as well :)

Your hair color could have changed. My hair was light ash brown with a lot of golden highlights three years ago, but now it's deepened into a medium ash brown with no gold highlights. I didn't realize that hair color could change so late in life!

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 10:00 AM
It sounds like y'all have had some pretty awesome hair surprises!!! Mine is usually if I see a pic of my hair and I realize how dark my roots look because the very top and lengths of my hair are a lighter blonde probably more honey/strawberry and but i don't really know haha. My roots though are like a very dark blonde to light brown and I don't know if it will look as dark once they grow out a bit more. But I so wish I could be surprised by length *ugly loud sigh* that would be amazing and I would be so happy.i was hoping to get a good amount of length by the end of this year , I dots probably not gonna happen haha

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 10:03 AM
** it's probably not gonna happen

Hurven
October 13th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised by how light my virgin hair is! I've always identified as blondette, but now I'm thinking I'm more of a medium/dark blonde.

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Also, when I stopped doing anything damaging to my hair, I was surprised to see that it needs practically nothing. :bigeyes: I can wash it with whatever, not brush it, and it acts just right for me! It used to take so much effort with all the leave-ins and stuff when the hair was shorter and misbehaving.
I find, the longer it gets, the less work it takes and the less stuff it needs, it looks best if you just let it do its thing - I think that *really* is the big nice surprise. :D

Yes! I had my hair kept short from age 5-16 because of the perceived effort of maintaining long hair. Granted, my mom didn't know that I had wavy hair or that you shouldn't try to brush it out after the shower. But I used to need to straighten or curl every morning, use hair product, get a trim every 6-8 weeks, and wash every day to get the gunk out. I can go days without washing my hair now, sleep with it in a braid, and wake up with hair that just needs some minor rearranging to look fantastic. Who knew?!

Kaelbu
October 13th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I've been surprised by how long my natural color is growing out (particularly the bottom layer). My length isn't changing much at all, probably because my damaged ends are reaching their limit. But the virgin hair continues to move down the length!

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I've been surprised by how long my natural color is growing out (particularly the bottom layer). My length isn't changing much at all, probably because my damaged ends are reaching their limit. But the virgin hair continues to move down the length!

That's encouraging. I feel like I've been stuck at waist for the past two years.

Winterwitch
October 13th, 2015, 12:54 PM
My hair surprises me quite frequently. In both positive and negative ways. Because my hair is just.. Not consistent.
I'll go weeks without seeing more than a couple of hairs falling out, which is a good thing obviously. Then one day I'll get in the shower and randomly it rains hair! Okay, its usually just about 10 hairs, but its quite a shock considering I usually have little hair fall.
I'll be pleasantly surprised at my routes after having dyed a month ago, but then notice my hair is pretty much the same length because I somehow still have split ends that break off, even though I microtrim.

But similar to your post, OP, I was quite shocked at my hair consistency the first (and pretty much only) time I got a good haircut. I was about 11, my hair had no layers and my hair was just grown out, heavy, stick straight, and I wanted a cut. The lady gave me the most subtle layers at the ends of my hair, and it did a wondrous thing. The end started curling and it was really cute.
And they kept doing that until I got my next (bad) haircut!

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I was also surprised at the curls I get when they are encouraged in humid weather.
Wasn't a real fan at first (especially at shorter lengths) but now I love it, because in the Winter it is really sleek and slippery with maybe a slight wave.

Now that I am at goal (waist) and with no layers...I am surprised that my hair still has lovely wurls.

I find it enjoyable that at longer lengths my hair is much prettier with much less work:)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 13th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Now that I am at goal (waist) and with no layers...I am surprised that my hair still has lovely wurls.

I find it enjoyable that at longer lengths my hair is much prettier with much less work:)

That's the kind of hair we all want .

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 10:19 PM
That's the kind of hair we all want .
When I think of the daily shampoos/blow drying/styling products/curling with shorter hair ::bigeyes:
The past 3 years habe been such a JOY...more so than in previous times my hair was long, when it was either left down, pony tailed or in a grocery store barrette.
The difference is knowing how to care for and style it ....with all these beautiful hair toys and styles :thumbsup:

hanne jensen
October 14th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I'm astonished that my hair reached waist last month and it's in pretty good condition. I haven't had the time to really notice my hair all summer.

roman8
October 14th, 2015, 03:10 PM
today i had a bath and let my hair air dry naturally until it was bone dry, usually i run a brush through it by then, and when i parts my poker straight hair, i seen a big ringlet curl on the underside of my hair!! was so happy, my hair on the underside is a lot courser, so that was a lovely surprise.

jera
October 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I'm surprised that my hair made it to tailbone! When I first joined LHC knee length was my goal but I thought I'd never come close. Now I'm inching my way down there. I talk to my hair and encourage her to grow as strange as that sounds. But the results speak for themselves.

LauraAlaina
October 14th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I'm surprised how thick and healthy my hair actually is since I've stopped bleaching it! I never knew!

kikuhoshi
October 14th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Actually, this happened to me when I measured my hair length for LHC! I thought I was in the early- or mid-20s (inches), but I was

kikuhoshi
October 14th, 2015, 07:31 PM
...Wrong!
Haha, sorry, fat fingers on mobile. ;) :P

hopefullocks
October 15th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I've been pleasantly surprised to have seen that my hair doesn't just stop growing around neck/shoulder like I was always told it would. It's been nice to see how soft it is without sulfates or silicones. I used to hate my ash brown hair because it looked "mousy" and "grey" next to my richly-brunette and hennaed friends. Now I can see all different shades of brunette and red with natural golden highlights. As my hair has journeyed from a baby-fine pixie cut to my current length at just past shoulder, I have enjoyed being able to bun it up (albeit a tiny bun, but it's MY bun) when, before, I didn't even know how to make a bun.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next few months.

Belle Paix
October 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I've been letting my hair air dry the last few times, and NOT put it up in a clip. It's been surprisingly wavy!! Like, more wave than I've EVER had! It's nice though, especially if I can retain it as it gets longer.

school of fish
October 15th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I was utterly surprised around a year ago when I noticed my life-long pin-straight hair is growing in wavy just under the canopy. It's always been 1a-1b my whole life - the new growth is a tenaciously wavy 2a-2b. The waves are about CBL now, while the rest of the length to the hem is still pin straight.

Because of the still-straight canopy and so much straight length, the overall effect is still 1a-1b hair - but I'll be curious to see if as the waves make their way down I become more and more of a true wavy :)

The profile settings for texture don't seem to allow me to set it to what most accurately reflects my current hair (I'd have to put 1a-2b!) So for the time being I have it set to what it most looks like to the outside world. But with some time I may be adjusting that setting out of the 1s and into the 2s!

Arctic
October 15th, 2015, 07:59 AM
I was utterly surprised around a year ago when I noticed my life-long pin-straight hair is growing in wavy just under the canopy. It's always been 1a-1b my whole life - the new growth is a tenaciously wavy 2a-2b. The waves are about CBL now, while the rest of the length to the hem is still pin straight.

Because of the still-straight canopy and so much straight length, the overall effect is still 1a-1b hair - but I'll be curious to see if as the waves make their way down I become more and more of a true wavy :)

The profile settings for texture don't seem to allow me to set it to what most accurately reflects my current hair (I'd have to put 1a-2b!) So for the time being I have it set to what it most looks like to the outside world. But with some time I may be adjusting that setting out of the 1s and into the 2s!

Your hair sounds like mine, straighter canopy, wavier underneath.

dogzdinner
October 15th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Its made me squeek a few times when it has gotten caught in my glasses (and that one time in the washing machine door)...does that count?

school of fish
October 15th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Your hair sounds like mine, straighter canopy, wavier underneath.

Yes Arctic it seems to me from reading many of your posts that there are a lot of similarities in our hair :)

MsPharaohMoan
October 19th, 2015, 03:47 AM
You know, I cut some face framing layers and one piece is an annoying eye length. Every time it gets c-shaped I think of this thread and wonder if I have wavier hair than I give myself credit. Naw, probably just wishful thinking...

Jadestorm
October 19th, 2015, 02:45 PM
But there is always a little voice which questions my conclusion. That's why I wanted to know, how many of you secretly wavies actually had a hair that had all the characteristics of straight hair before, or was your hair poofy, frizzy and whatever typical characteristics people often mention, when it comes to mis-treated wavy hair? My hair was always super straight when I was a child. Not a wave in sight. I started getting wavier hair as I got older but always assumed the waves were from the braiding at night and drying my washed hair in a turban style twisted towel. ;)

woodswanderer
October 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I was surprised that my hair became wavy after I started using coconut oil for a while. It was apparently somewhat dry before.