PDA

View Full Version : Females with androgenic alopecia?

CostaRita
September 20th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Hi all. I have been on spironolactone, Rogaine, and a contraceptive to combat symptoms of PCOS and androgenic alopecia, but I'm not sure if my hair is as thick as it could be. I still have thin spots. How have you combated androgenic alopecia? Have you ever tried Viviscal? (I would but I refuse to pay that much). Any vitamins? Finasteride/Propecia? I'm not sure if this drug can be prescribed to women, however.

Winterwitch
September 20th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Hi there, I do not suffer from PCOS but I know one of the best things to do for any kind of hair thinning including androgenic alopecia is castor oil. It really helps hair growth and thickening. I think that any suppliment (biotin, horsetail, silica, etc.,) that promotes hair growth and thickening should apply to androgenic alopecia. I also did some googling and found that saw palmetto, a plant, has been shown in a study to help prevent conversion of testosterone to dht (the main cause of androgenic alopecia.)

Jeni
September 20th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Me me! I have PCOS and a few years ago I noticed my hair thinning on the top of my head (along the part). It's not horrible but I certainly notice that I can see more of my scalp there then elsewhere on my head! I've been using Rogaine (well the off brand) for the past year or so. I think it has helped, at least slightly. I still very self conscious about my thinning hair and will only wear my hair down with a side part (I prefer a center part) and I feel like I look in the mirror 100 times a day to make sure you can't see too much scalp. I've started taking a hair, shin and nail vitamin as well. I haven't tried castor oil, I feel like my already oily scalp would be a mess with that on it plus I use shampoo bars and I'm not sure how well they would remove oil. I suppose I could try it...

dulce
September 23rd, 2015, 10:17 AM
I have PCOS ,was diagnosed by an endocrinologist in hospital as a teen where I had an ovarian laparotomy ,and multiple blood tests.I had horrible lifelong menstrual periods and very difficult pregnancies[diabetes and pre-eclampsia from the 2nd month on for each pregnancy]I am now 63.I always had thick hair luckily but a bit thin at temples.After menopause there is thinning at sides and top near my part but the back is still thick.I notice if I follow a lo carb diet,avoid all heat and chemicals[dye especially] my thinner areas look better-A low carb diet is helpful in reducing your insuline[which tends to be raised in POCOS]The insuline raises your testosterone.Also daily exercise helps lower insuline.My last blood test after menopause still showed elevated testosterone but not nearly as high as when I was younger. I tried rogaine but it increased hair growth on my face so I stopped.I occasionally fill in my thin areas with a makeup
brush and matching eyebrow colour.It works beautifully.

dulce
September 23rd, 2015, 10:22 AM
I do take a hair /nail supplement from walmart and ''thyrosense ''tabs from the health food store as my thyroid is borderline[common in PCOS]but I refuse to pay exorborant prices.If you are overweight losing weight helps change the hormone porofile and make the symptoms less for some people.Lifestyle is your best bet..

dulce
September 23rd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Diabetes is linked to hair loss and you are at higher risk to get gestational diabetes and later diabetes 2 as you age, if you have PCOS, so trying to control your insuline not only benefits your hair but will be beneficial for your long term health.

dulce
September 23rd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Forgot to mention I now have a receding hairline[yuk!] but I have bangs which helps that..That is new.Gotta love PCOS!