PDA

View Full Version : New from the UK

Lisa Long4Life
September 20th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Currently have APL straight hair which I wear up all the time! I have joined to find styling tips to get me away from a boring ponytail and natural (cruelty free) hair care tips. Currently looking for advice on colouring to hide (a few) greys, possibly going to try henna ;)

Hi *waves*

Arctic
September 20th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Hi and welcome!

DreamSheep
September 20th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the forum (from another fellow UK-dwelling person)!! :)

Hairkay
September 20th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Hello and welcome Lisa :)

Lisa Long4Life
September 20th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)

Nuala
September 20th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the forum Lisa!

Nettyx
September 20th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Hello Lisa Long4life from a fellow Brit. I can't help with colouring but you'll find loads of tips on here and if you are anything like me you'll be LHC addicted in no time!

Lisa Long4Life
September 21st, 2015, 01:15 PM
Hi, thank you :)

Having a bit of trouble with the acronyms. I've seen the thread with the hair length acronyms explained (APL, BSL etc) but I've been reading the hair toys thread and I'm confused about TTs and LIs.
Can anyone help?
Also I've seen a lady with a picture of a lovely hair accessory in her signature, and I haven't got a clue what it's called! I don't want to PM her out of the blue just to ask lol. :D

Nettyx
September 21st, 2015, 01:29 PM
TT is Timberstone Turnings (tends to be wooden with pretty inlays), LI is Lady Idun (tends to be acrylic). Both gorgeous sticks from Etsy - who has the lovely hairstick, Im sure we can work out what it is?

Lisa Long4Life
September 21st, 2015, 01:33 PM
Thanks again!

hennalonghair is the one with the lovely accessory, it's got a purple jewel in the middle. My favourite colour is purple but I can't decide if the rest of it is elasticated with a pin under it, or what... :)
I've been just using bands for so long, my eyes have been opened to pretty things to put in my hair!

meteor
September 21st, 2015, 01:34 PM
Hi, thank you :)

Having a bit of trouble with the acronyms. I've seen the thread with the hair length acronyms explained (APL, BSL etc) but I've been reading the hair toys thread and I'm confused about TTs and LIs.
Can anyone help?
Also I've seen a lady with a picture of a lovely hair accessory in her signature, and I haven't got a clue what it's called! I don't want to PM her out of the blue just to ask lol. :D

Hi, Lisa Long4Life! :D Welcome aboard! :cheer:
Maybe I can help:
APL - armpit length
BSL - bra strap length
TT - either Tangle Teaser (detangling brush) or Timberstone Turnings (gorgeous hand-made hairsticks with woods, resins, abalone, gems...): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35551&page=1157
LI - Lady Idun (gorgeous acrylic hair sticks): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55094&page=520

And here is the Hairtoy Links Thread where you can see the whole list and jump straight into threads :) : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13927

Lisa Long4Life
September 21st, 2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks meteor, I'm just getting to grips with the hair length ones. Thanks for the link - I may be gone some time! I may need to buy a box to put these new toys in too.

lapushka
September 21st, 2015, 03:10 PM
Welcome! :)

Arctic
September 21st, 2015, 03:14 PM
Hennalonghair's hair accessory is from KeepItUpHairToys Etsy shop. :flower: They are called beaded 8s.

(https://www.etsy.com/shop/keepituphairtoys)

Lisa Long4Life
September 21st, 2015, 03:20 PM
Hennalonghair's hair accessory is from KeepItUpHairToys Etsy shop. :flower: They are called beaded 8s.

(https://www.etsy.com/shop/keepituphairtoys)

Oh wow, beautiful. Thanks! I love them.

Nettyx
September 21st, 2015, 03:36 PM
you could also try Flexi 8 too, they look similar. Have a look on the swap board there are a few there at the moment.

Lisa Long4Life
September 21st, 2015, 03:45 PM
you could also try Flexi 8 too, they look similar. Have a look on the swap board there are a few there at the moment.

I was looking at the thread with those only a few minutes ago :cool:

cat11
September 21st, 2015, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the forum! You've been officially enabled lol... which is what we say when somebody has just convinced us or helped convince us to buy more pretty things for our hair hehe

Groovy Granny
September 21st, 2015, 05:16 PM
Welcome ~ go silver ;)

Lisa Long4Life
September 22nd, 2015, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the forum! You've been officially enabled lol... which is what we say when somebody has just convinced us or helped convince us to buy more pretty things for our hair hehe

Definitely enabled! :D

Welcome ~ go silver ;)

Thank you - it will might me some time yet. I'm not sure what I've been seeing are greys apart from the one that was coming from the top of my head. My partner is salt & pepper but I'm not sure I'm ready at the moment.

LegoCaltrops
October 1st, 2015, 12:07 AM
Hello from another UKer! If you've not yet found them, can I recommend the SMT (SnowyMoon's Magic Treatment, which everyone here swears by, also there is a section for us UKers. It's in:
Forum > Discussion forums > Conventional products & hair accessories > Supplies for UK LHC-ers!

I think there's a list of silicone-free products as well, but I can't find it right now, (still a newbie myself). Silicone free conditioners are recommended for the SMT treatment.

Sorry, I've not figured out how to do links yet!

AutobotsAttack
October 1st, 2015, 01:56 AM
Hi! Nice to have you here :)

LegoCaltrops
October 1st, 2015, 02:46 AM
Right. I've found the list of UK 'cone-free conditioners. Unfortunately it's several years old & appears to be pretty out of date, it's not been updated since 2010. I've had a look through & a fair number of the products on the list do now have silicones in, or appear to be discontinued. Nevertheless, it's found on:
Forum> Discussion forums> Conventional products & hair accessories> Cone free conditioners in the UK...United Kingdom

It may just be a case of acquainting yourself with the names of all the silicones & any other things you want to avoid, & checking out all the ingredient lists of all the ones that are still available. The Lush American Cream is on there, but contains SLS, which, I don't use. There are a few others which are still around as well. If this list is no longer being updated I wonder if someone could collate a new list.

For the SMT, I believe it's advisable to avoid conditioners with protein as well.

Lisa Long4Life
October 1st, 2015, 01:04 PM
Thank you LegoCaltrops and AutobotsAttack.

I did try the Naked stuff for a while but I found their conditioner difficult to manage (so thick and hard to get out of the tube) so I'm using Sainsbury's at the moment which is at least cruelty free, the conditioner is cone free but the shampoo contains SLS

Tabitha
October 1st, 2015, 03:48 PM
Thank you LegoCaltrops and AutobotsAttack.

I did try the Naked stuff for a while but I found their conditioner difficult to manage (so thick and hard to get out of the tube) so I'm using Sainsbury's at the moment which is at least cruelty free, the conditioner is cone free but the shampoo contains SLS
I've had a tube of Naked Silky conditioner for what seems like years - you only need a tiny amount and it smells just gorgeous.

LegoCaltrops
October 3rd, 2015, 08:00 AM
I've discovered that most of the Faith In Nature conditioners seem to be cone free. Aubrey Organics are, too, but they are more pricey. Suma conditioners as well but I wasn't personally askeen on the fragrances (although they were good size bottles).

I got a tube of AV gel from H&B as well, I'll let you know how it goes - I got the Faith In Nature Hemp & Meadowfoam one, will probably try in a few days. (My hair is still really soft from a cassia & coconut mask earlier this week...)

Lisa Long4Life
October 3rd, 2015, 08:17 AM
Cool :) I'm nearly at the end of my current bottles of Sainsburys cheap stuff so I might look at changing.

squirrrel
October 3rd, 2015, 09:54 AM
Hiya Lisa...

Just popping in to say hello and welcome - also UK based here. It looks like you've made a great start here. :))

Lisa Long4Life
October 3rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
Hiya Lisa...

Just popping in to say hello and welcome - also UK based here. It looks like you've made a great start here. :))

Hi, thanks for the welcome :cool: