PDA

View Full Version : Hair Length: Using arms as indicators of length

LillithTheFirst
September 18th, 2015, 08:55 PM
I don't know about you but I don't really go around with my bra strap, bellybutton and butt on display. I find I compare hair length more to arm length because you can kind of see the arms more - unless you're wearing something really baggy.
Everyone's proportions are different too - some people have a longer torso, or shorter arms - overall what's more aesthetically pleasing?
My hair is currently just past my elbow length, which I suppose is just past waist length for me - I want to grow it down to wrist length though - which may be tailbone, or classic - who really knows!

Anyone else use arms and joins of the arms to judge length?

endlessly
September 18th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Before I found the LHC, definitely. Once I found this site, however, I started using their terms for classifying length. At its longest, my hair was at fingertip length - which is much, much easier than saying "an inch past midway between classic and knee".

Groovy Granny
September 18th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I use LHC's terminology but when my hair brushes my elbows it gets my attention ;)
So while I am looking forward to hair contact moving down my arm,I am relying on the traditional markers for assessing my goal lengths!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 18th, 2015, 09:55 PM
No, I just use the generally used LHC terminology. But I just measured against my arm and my hair is thumbtip length. Short arms......

Anje
September 18th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I can't see where my butt ends without moving my hair. So as far as I'm concerned, my hair is thumb length.

school of fish
September 18th, 2015, 10:27 PM
I don't think I ever really thought about how I think of markers before!

I guess for the most part I assess length according to LHC terminology and cm/in measurements. But at some point I realized that my goal length (tbl) equals wrist-length on me, and I figured that once I start feeling my ends brushing my wrists then that's how I'll know for sure I'm at goal :)

I'm very short-armed and have spent my life pushing too-long sleeves up to keep them from dragging across my hands - that feeling drives me crazy! I'm betting that I'll be feeling the same way about my hair, going nuts feeling my ends on my hands... So while I'm growing I'm thinking in terms of LHC markers but once I've hit goal I'll be using wrist-length as the gauge for my maintenance trims :)

Nique1202
September 19th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Arms can make for additional milestones, certainly, but generally you can see "bra strap length" on someone in clothes because it should be the level of the bottom of the breasts or pectoral muscles. Waist is again usually pretty obvious, the narrowest part of the body or where someone bends from. Usually people aren't wearing clothes so loose you can't see the top of the bum which is just above tailbone, and if they're in something fitted then you can usually also see where the bum ends (classic), where their fingertips sit, where their knees bend. Those are almost all of the LHC milestones.

You can't generally see the top of someone's hip bones for hip length but that's not a major milestone anyway. Nor have I ever seen bellybutton used as a major milestone around here. But, most of the body markers we use around these parts are visible or easily guessed.

Mimha
September 19th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Lol. On LHC, I use LHC terminology, which makes it an easier common reference. But out of it, I have always had my own markers. My markers are not specifically linked to body markers, though : breast length (nipples), shoulder blades, elbow, top of my jeans, or "when it's longer than my largest towel in its long length" (I notice it when wrapping my hair after I wash it), or "when I start sitting on it" or "when I can't lace my shoes anymore without it touching the floor". A funny one is "when it's long enough to stay out of the way when I brush my teeth" ! :D (meaning "when it's long enough to stay behind the edge of the washing basin when I bend over it", i.e. I don't need to put it up just to wash my teeth !

My hair never grew longer than that, so I may find new ones in the future... if I grow until there !!

jel
September 19th, 2015, 07:05 AM
I can't stand my hair tickling my arms so the answer is no! :D I would use fingertip, though, and it will probably be my next goal (when my hair grew a bit longer than classic, it still did not reach FTL). The LHC measurements are tied to basic bodily proportions, so I find them simple to identify on myself and others.

DreamSheep
September 19th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Prior to LHC I think I noticed when my hair hit "elbow", and now I'm on the lookout for "wrist" / hand bits.
I think the advantage of full body markers is that arms only work until Finger Tip Length (which I feel is recognised as a marker :p), but beyond that arms are too short to provide measurements, so the markers down the leg work better :p

Lady Katherine
September 19th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Before I joined, I wanted elbow length hair (that's about waist on me). Now I'm aiming for Classic, which is about wrist length. Either way, I can't wait for the feeling of hair down to my wrists! :)

Agnes Hannah
September 19th, 2015, 11:39 AM
My hair tickles the bit between elbow and wrist, so getting close to BCL for me. As long as it keeps growing, I'm cool with any markers.

TrapperCreekD
September 19th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I use the LHC terminology in here and RL, or show the interested party with my hands for clarification. For whatever reason my arm markers pretty much line up with the ones on my torso. Elbows are pretty at waist, TBL lines up with my wrist, and I think classic and fingertip are pretty close too.

mary*rose
September 19th, 2015, 12:22 PM
While I use LHC terms in reference to my hair length, "fingertip length" has been my favorite by far

MINAKO
September 19th, 2015, 12:49 PM
At classic+ i am around wrist length, being tall with a normal length torso but freakish long arms and also neck as well as a long hip bone. I don't know my current length in inches. Finger tip would be almost mid thigh for me.

parkmikii
September 19th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I prefer arms as length markers too as it's easier for me since I can't really see which point my hair hits behind my back :)

DollyDagger
September 19th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Just as everyone has different length of torso and such people have different arm to body proportions as well. T-rex arms...orangutan arms..lol
Ultimately whatever works for you to see your growth and progress as it compares to whatever your body proportions are is what works :)

Todd
September 19th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I like to use my arms as length indicators. As a guy, I don't wear bras, so BSL was meaningless on me. And waists are tough to pinpoint on most guys as well. So I like to use the elbows as a major milestone (trust me, it was a big deal to get a bit beyond elbow length!). And seeing someone walk past, I can quickly measure their hair (in my mind) by checking it against their elbows.

yogagirl
September 19th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I use LHC markers mostly, but for some reason my goal length is "elbow". I don't know why but it just seems like a good length for me. It's maybe an inch or two above hip on me.

MandyBeth
September 19th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I have t-rex arms with a short torso. My elbows are above my waist if I bend them, close to waist straight. Waist is easier to see because I do have a fairly extreme hourglass figure. My fingertips however are at or just above classic. I've always had short arms, as we used to prove why fingertip length is not an effective length for shorts/skirts.

Which is all moot as my hair is staying around shoulder length.

HairFanson
September 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Well, I have long/tall proportions, and only a very slight "indent" for a waist, as well as a rear end that sort of slides into thigh without so much of wisp of shadow... so its hard to find LHC markers on me, particularly from the back, LOL.
My elbows are at waist, and my wrists are at "Classic" and I can see my hip bones and tailbone easily, so I use the LHC markers I can see, and my Arms for the ones I can't, and then translate them on here- sort of.
My goal is to have my hair hit at my hip, midway down the forearm, but able to touch the hip bone in the front... if that makes any sense! LOL