PDA

View Full Version : Have You Always Liked Your Hair UP

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Hey Everyone,

Have you always liked yourself with your hair up/pulled back and worn it like that in the past maybe even before you started growing?

Or was it something that you just had to come to terms with and do even though you didn't prefer it up?

Years of my sister calling me a potatoe head..(don't laugh Im scarred ..lol ) when my hairs up kind of makes me feel a little self-conscious when my hairs up..I wear it up anyways but I'm quite certain it is more flattering when it is down on me...but Ill suffer and wear it up..lol to let it grow :)

TIA
For sharing :)
Dollydagger:blossom:

Seeshami
September 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Yes. He is evil and dangerous and always has been

missblueeyes
September 15th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I personally had to get into terms with wearing my hair up but now there's days when I actually prefer the look over wearing it down. I've become quite fond of it, especially since I started wearing my updos with a part, which softens them a little but still keeps all the hair out of my face. I considered getting bangs at a point but then I remembered how much I hate having hair in my face.

Arctic
September 15th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I've always like my hair up, even when it's short (pixie or short bob) I like to clip my hair away from my face when I'm just at home. And I start to make small french braids as soon as possible. I've always gotten compliments when my hair is up. And I enjoy making updos and braids, it's relaxing. It's actually the reason why I am growing my hair longer, so I can make these upstyles and braids. :D

neko_kawaii
September 15th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I hate hair on my face and when it is hot I have to have a fast way of getting it off my neck. Short cuts are cute but can't satisfy those needs. One of the things that attracted me to LCH was to learn more ways of putting it up.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 15th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Yes, otherwise it tangles and always gets in the way. I hate hair flopping around my neck and face, to me it looks untidy.....

parkmikii
I never really liked my hair up until I started to grow it. But keeping it down now it's not an option anymore as I go for fingertip+ length and I don't want to damage it that much on the way :)

AspenSong
I usually wore my hair in a ponytail or clip when it was shorter, so for me it's not a super huge deal usually that I wear it up all the time now.

kitschy
September 15th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I don't like my hair up. I'm just not comfortable with my face all exposed. Because I usually have so much volume when my hair is down I look like a drowned rat with my receding chin and forehead and prominent nose. But whatever is good for the hair is good for the soul. I usually wear it up at least 1/2 the time.

Nebulae
September 15th, 2015, 02:50 PM
I never ever wore my hair up before finding LHC. I still think I look much better with my hair down and around my face, but I've learned to live with it up. It's comfortable to not have it fall around my face at work so I can concentrate on work and not my looks. Plus I get to have a bunch of pretty hair toys holding my hair up in ways that really puzzle some people :lol:

People can think whatever they want. I look the way I look.. same face same person no matter if my hair is up or down. They should like me for me, not my hair. :)

Belle Paix
September 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I've always liked it up. My mom still says to this day that I've got a "great face" for updo's...

ravenreed
September 15th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I prefer mine down, but gave up on that for the most part once I reached TB.

Groovy Granny
September 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM
My hair has always been down...unless it was longer than chin length and I needed it off my neck due to the heat.
Since growing it out it is pulled back/up most of the time; occasionally for the heat.....partly for protection...partly to get it out of my face.
It became a acquired practice after joining LHC lol

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Yes. He is evil and dangerous and always has been
Well you would be forever known as pumpkinhead (to my sis ..lol):p
Naughty mess would get along great with her..plotting and scheming

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I don't like my hair up. I'm just not comfortable with my face all exposed. Because I usually have so much volume when my hair is down I look like a drowned rat with my receding chin and forehead and prominent nose. But whatever is good for the hair is good for the soul. I usually wear it up at least 1/2 the time.
Yeah..whatever is good for the hair is how I'm feeling about it..Maybe it'll grow on me :) no pun intended. Dangly earings kind of help.

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I've always like my hair up, even when it's short (pixie or short bob) I like to clip my hair away from my face when I'm just at home. And I start to make small french braids as soon as possible. I've always gotten compliments when my hair is up. And I enjoy making updos and braids, it's relaxing. It's actually the reason why I am growing my hair longer, so I can make these upstyles and braids. :D
True as soon as I'm home first thing I do is put hair up and away from face..always have.

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I've always liked it up. My mom still says to this day that I've got a "great face" for updo's...
well count yourself lucky for having a nice mom and not an evil sister..lol! :)

Nadine <3
September 15th, 2015, 03:19 PM
No. I have always had fluffy hair with fly aways that make me look like I got electrocuted so I wore it down, always. Unless it was really hot or humid. Now I try to put it iup most of the time to protect it, but I still cheat every once in awhile.

sprite
September 15th, 2015, 03:23 PM
I used to prefer mine down, but now wear it up due to exercise and trying not to style it too much! And I like it now :)

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I personally had to get into terms with wearing my hair up but now there's days when I actually prefer the look over wearing it down. I've become quite fond of it, especially since I started wearing my updos with a part, which softens them a little but still keeps all the hair out of my face. I considered getting bangs at a point but then I remembered how much I hate having hair in my face.
I've always had some sort of side swept bangs happening. It's good you got used to it..mabye theres hope for me yet :)

I hate hair on my face and when it is hot I have to have a fast way of getting it off my neck. Short cuts are cute but can't satisfy those needs. One of the things that attracted me to LCH was to learn more ways of putting it up.
I loathe the idea of having hair so short you cant pull it back into a pony or something. A pixie is a terrifying thought! (for me)

Yes, otherwise it tangles and always gets in the way. I hate hair flopping around my neck and face, to me it looks untidy.....
Yeah it can get annoying flying around and getting in the way for sure.

I never really liked my hair up until I started to grow it. But keeping it down now it's not an option anymore as I go for fingertip+ length and I don't want to damage it that much on the way :)
:) sacrifices we make for the growth

I usually wore my hair in a ponytail or clip when it was shorter, so for me it's not a super huge deal usually that I wear it up all the time now.
Yes if your used to it being pulled back -"ups" not a big change.

I never ever wore my hair up before finding LHC. I still think I look much better with my hair down and around my face, but I've learned to live with it up. It's comfortable to not have it fall around my face at work so I can concentrate on work and not my looks. Plus I get to have a bunch of pretty hair toys holding my hair up in ways that really puzzle some people :lol:

People can think whatever they want. I look the way I look.. same face same person no matter if my hair is up or down. They should like me for me, not my hair. :)Good point..maybe a strategically placed flexi's will distract from my potatoe head..lol
Actually you got a point..once people get used to seeing you a certain way then it wont be a shock. Theyll get used to mine up!! or deal with it!

Arctic
September 15th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Dolly, repeat after me: I do not have a potato head, I have lovely head shape!

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I prefer mine down, but gave up on that for the most part once I reached TB.
:) oh well..it helped you getting to TB -good sacrifice

My hair has always been down...unless it was longer than chin length and I needed it off my neck due to the heat.
Since growing it out it is pulled back/up most of the time; occasionally for the heat.....partly for protection...partly to get it out of my face.
It became a acquired practice after the LHC lol
Me too..always always down maybe 98% of time- unless like you say up on hot humid summer day or something like that. Acuired practice sounds better than what I was gonna say..a neccessary evil :)

No. I have always had fluffy hair with fly aways that make me look like I got electrocuted so I wore it down, always. Unless it was really hot or humid. Now I try to put it iup most of the time to protect it, but I still cheat every once in awhile.
lol Nadine electrocuted..hehe..well when you get to waist you better get used to it more missy! just kidding:)but yeah you gotta do what you gotta do for the do

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I used to prefer mine down, but now wear it up due to exercise and trying not to style it too much! And I like it now :)

Good you 've grown to like it..:) hope I will too.

lol..trying to undo the brainwash thanx Arctic :smooch: You shouldve been my sister!

spidermom
September 15th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Putting my hair up used to be a necessary evil that I didn't appreciate as far as looks go (although I did like it out of my way), but I recently spent time on YouTube learning some ways to make my hair styles more flattering to my features, so now I enjoy having it up.

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Putting my hair up used to be a necessary evil that I didn't appreciate as far as looks go (although I did like it out of my way), but I recently spent time on YouTube learning some ways to make my hair styles more flattering to my features, so now I enjoy having it up.

Thats exactly how I was going to word it in my post..necessary evil..lol If you happen to have the you tube links handy they sound good..:)

Nellon
September 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I always like having it up. Other people tell me I look better with it down so sometimes I make an effort to wear it down. But after a while, up it goes! I like it up because when down no one can see my sparkly shiny pretty earrings ;)

spidermom
September 15th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Thats exactly how I was going to word it in my post..necessary evil..lol If you happen to have the you tube links handy they sound good..:)

Just go to YouTube and look for styles to flatter your face shape. Mine is square, which might not apply to you.

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Just go to YouTube and look for styles to flatter your face shape. Mine is square, which might not apply to you.
okay yeah thats true..:) Ill search up how to flatter potatoe head..heheh lol jk..I will search up for my face shape thanx

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I always like having it up. Other people tell me I look better with it down so sometimes I make an effort to wear it down. But after a while, up it goes! I like it up because when down no one can see my sparkly shiny pretty earrings ;)
That's kind of rude of people to say that..geeze
Yes earings make a world of differences..Ive got plenty of dangly pretty ones too :)

Lauraes
September 15th, 2015, 05:28 PM
No. When I was younger, I wore my hair down literally every single day. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I even started wearing it up at all, and it wasn't until I joined LHC that I started doing it frequently (on a daily basis).

two_wheels
September 15th, 2015, 05:39 PM
My whole life, up or pixie!! The interim phase where it's long enough to annoy but not long enough to put it up.... is a horror to me.

Robi-Bird
September 15th, 2015, 05:48 PM
It's always up for work and it's up a lot at her me because I don't enjoy eating my hair. Ido like the look of it down when it's being wavy and obedient.

Seeshami
September 15th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Well you would be forever known as pumpkinhead (to my sis ..lol):p
Naughty mess would get along great with her..plotting and scheming
Mess has never played well with others. Well sans his twin destroyer of things but they are both hair monsters.

Oh the pumpkin will get more impressive. After I finish homework I am possibly carving the pumpkin into an evil jack o pumpkin. Then cooking it and eating it but thats all un hair related

Anje
September 15th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I've worn my hair up almost every day since I figured out that I could make a ponytail that wouldn't pull and hurt better than my mom could. I think I was about 7 when I took over my hairstyling.

arr
September 15th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Before I found LHC i mostly wore my hair down because it never occurred to me that I could wear it up (I know it sounds strange). I put it in a ponytail if it was too hot, windy or if I was doing something where I needed it out of the way. Now that I've learned the myriads of ways to wear it up, I rarely wear it down. I prefer it up for convenience and I'm apparently one of the few people who feels I look better with it up.

turtlelover
September 15th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Even at APL, my hair is ALWAYS in the way, so I've been wearing it up quite often for practical reasons. It is nice to just not have to think about it or mess with it after it is up. I think I have a good face and neck for updos, but I generally feel most feminine when my hair is down and flowing, so when I want to be dressier, I leave it down. Of course, I am NOT creative with updos at this point, so I really need to learn some that are more flattering and maybe I'd feel differently about that. I'm bored of the same old messy bun w/ spin pins that I've been wearing. However, I never seem to have decent 2nd day hair, so I suppose even a boring bun looks better than a frazzled, frizzy mess! HAHA

yahirwaO.o
September 15th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Hmmm not really!!!!!!! I mean the protecion part, intricate beautiful styles and getting it out of face is nice and such. But Im one of those people who just love the simple natural down cascade look or a nice half up.

When I was growin it out, being braided or bunned was essential to keep the grow fairly nice, still I felt like I was a slave to keep it healthy and contained BUT THATS REALLY NOT ME!!! I like thigs to be free and flowy and be able to enjoy it without of course abusing!!

So im one of the very few people here that prefer a fairly shorter lenght (its pretty versatile on me because I can still have fun braiding and bunning) and still be able to wear it down on regular basis without feeling guilty or such. My goal is not growing super long hair anymore, my aim is to enjoy it and be happy with my looks and bouncing it all around!!!!! :happydance:

Frankenstein
September 15th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I've always preferred my hair up for practical reasons but I prefer it down aesthetically, because I feel self conscious when people see me with it up. I haven't worn it up outside of my house since I was 7 years old :surprise:

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Hmmm not really!!!!!!! I mean the protecion part, intricate beautiful styles and getting it out of face is nice and such. But Im one of those people who just love the simple natural down cascade look or a nice half up.

When I was growin it out, being braided or bunned was essential to keep the grow fairly nice, still I felt like I was a slave to keep it healthy and contained BUT THATS REALLY NOT ME!!! I like thigs to be free and flowy and be able to enjoy it without of course abusing!!

So im one of the very few people here that prefer a fairly shorter lenght (its pretty versatile on me because I can still have fun braiding and bunning) and still be able to wear it down on regular basis without feeling guilty or such. My goal is not growing super long hair anymore, my aim is to enjoy it and be happy with my looks and bouncing it all around!!!!! :happydance:
yeah I wish mine was made of a magic filament that would withstand the elements..lol Then Id ALWAYS have it down freely flowing :)

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I've always preferred my hair up for practical reasons but I prefer it down aesthetically, because I feel self conscious when people see me with it up. I haven't worn it up outside of my house since I was 7 years old :surprise:
Really..? so you dont wear it up outdoors..? Ive been forcing myself but I feel sort of self conscious too when its up. I think its a matter of habit and what you're used to...Im trying to break the habit of down .:)

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I've worn my hair up almost every day since I figured out that I could make a ponytail that wouldn't pull and hurt better than my mom could. I think I was about 7 when I took over my hairstyling.
My moms detangling skills left much to be desired as did my patience to sit for any length of time..lol ..Thats impressive you were doing your own hairstyling at 7 though! :)

purrmonsterr
September 15th, 2015, 07:21 PM
This thread speaks to me on a spiritual level. I have never had a hair type or head shape that looks good with updos. Period. Much of my life I've been convinced that it was something I could work with if only I knew the proper techniques, had the right products, had longer hair, etc. But I've come to terms with the fact that my hair is just not meant to be put up. My biggest issue is that I have curly baby hairs at my temples that flip up and out (I call them my wings) and no amount of teasing, product, or spellwork can make them stay put. I'm also plagued with several inconveniently placed cowlicks that make every updo look uneven and lumpy, along with having fine hair that slips out of place almost as soon as it's put up. When I do need my hair out of the way, a loose side braid is my go-to style.

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Even at APL, my hair is ALWAYS in the way, so I've been wearing it up quite often for practical reasons. It is nice to just not have to think about it or mess with it after it is up. I think I have a good face and neck for updos, but I generally feel most feminine when my hair is down and flowing, so when I want to be dressier, I leave it down. Of course, I am NOT creative with updos at this point, so I really need to learn some that are more flattering and maybe I'd feel differently about that. I'm bored of the same old messy bun w/ spin pins that I've been wearing. However, I never seem to have decent 2nd day hair, so I suppose even a boring bun looks better than a frazzled, frizzy mess! HAHA
Hey turtlelover..how's your temp colour holding up by the way? Your braid looks really nice in your avatar. Id like to try some braids and stuff..but these layers get on my nerves..Yeah second day hairs an elusive thing :) My curls die every night..lol

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM
purrmonster-I hear ya !:beerchug: Me too with the wispys and cowlicks as well! Have you tried using a toothbrush and gel (sounds weird I know..but Ive seen you tubers tame their little wispies, baby hairs, and edges with this method) Oh I can't wait till I can have a loose side braid or any decent looking braid..would that I could..Grow hair grow! :magic:

Your hair in your avatar looks amazing btw! :)

turtlelover
September 15th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Hey turtlelover..how's your temp colour holding up by the way? Your braid looks really nice in your avatar. Id like to try some braids and stuff..but these layers get on my nerves..Yeah second day hairs an elusive thing :) My curls die every night..lol

The semi color has been holding up pretty well. It is subtle, and really does a good job of toning down the gray without totally covering it up. I have been washing my hair every day and a half w/ sulfates, and it is still there after 10 days but fading some. I think I will probably put some more on at day 14 before the roots become noticeable. I know that I am taking a chance that it won't ever fully come out, but I still think it is a lot better for my hair than the demi w/ developer I was using before, and it might be a good way to transition more slowly since cold turkey was a dismal flop! HAHA

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 07:47 PM
What colour did you get and what colour did it turn into if you dont mind me asking..(just in case I snap one day and have to cover :) lol )
Whatever works and makes you feel better...I think blending them in is a really good option as long as theres no damage being inflicted. Mine are coming in like highlights :P so if I could get them to be beigey-light ashy blonde colour that would be awesome and blend with my colour really well :) ehhe..
thnx for the info TL :)

Anje
September 15th, 2015, 08:22 PM
My moms detangling skills left much to be desired as did my patience to sit for any length of time..lol ..Thats impressive you were doing your own hairstyling at 7 though! :)

Blame a week long summer camp and hot weather. It was sink or swim when it came to wrangling it into a ponytail. I think I hid the bumpy top under a cap for most of the summer until I figured out how to hold the pony in one hand and brush it smooth with the other. XD

Frankenstein
September 15th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Really..? so you dont wear it up outdoors..? Ive been forcing myself but I feel sort of self conscious too when its up. I think its a matter of habit and what you're used to...Im trying to break the habit of down .:)

Outdoors as in my yard, yes :p Around other people in public, no. I guess I have the habit of leaving it down too. Even if I weren't self conscious about wearing it up when I go out, it would still seem strange to me.

pailin
September 15th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I think other people's hair looks fantastic down, but I've never thought mine looked so good down. Even though I love the idea of it- my problem is with the execution. In practice, I always have to keep it under control. I just can't make it look good down, plus it annoys me to have hair in my face, plus it's hot, plus my hair tangles really badly. It's not that I think I look great in updos (and I'm definitely not very talented at doing them- I do a ponytail, an English braid, and 2 kinds of buns, and that's it; I'm clumsy). Even with short haircuts, I'm always pulling it back with barrettes and such. So it may as well be long and pulled back, rather than short and pulled back.

AZDesertRose
September 15th, 2015, 11:25 PM
I have the flyaways/baby hair problem, but I wear it up most of the time because it's convenient and I don't like having my hair in my face.

That being said, I do feel like I look prettier with my hair loose.

dogzdinner
September 16th, 2015, 01:31 AM
It took me a long time to get used to my hair up coz it made me feel abit vulnerable, having my hair down felt like protection! Now its just second nature to get it up and out of the way.
It probably helps that long hair is the norm round here and the majority of women seem to have their hair in buns!

syndel
September 16th, 2015, 03:06 AM
I've got a huge forehead so I have never really liked the way my hair looked up. Though in my years of growing long hair I have learned that styles with volume like a messy geisha bun looks great on me, however I will always prefer how it looks wild and free. :)

Upside Down
September 16th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Yes but in a ponytail or braid. I never cared much for buns. But here we are and I wear them all the time. I even take pics of them and admire some more successfyl. But people don't really notice. Hair up is hair up unless some intricate braid etc.

Who cares my buns make me happy :cloud9:

I do like to have some styling in the front though. Poof or braid or fingerwaves. Now bangs take care of that!

lapushka
September 16th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Have you always liked yourself with your hair up/pulled back and worn it like that in the past maybe even before you started growing?

Or was it something that you just had to come to terms with and do even though you didn't prefer it up?

After APL/BSL, it became natural to wear it up as down would be in my way too much from then on, so natural transition, IMO. I started to like it up as it grew more. And it had to have a certain length (iii) in order to be able to be worn up - at all.

Thoughtcriminal
September 16th, 2015, 06:12 AM
My favorite look has always been half-up, but my hair is so tangle-prone I've always had to keep it all up most of the time. I look weird when it's all up unless I have bangs or it's in boxer braids.

ashke50
September 16th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I always used to wear my hair "up" for school (either a ponytail or a simple plait) and didn't particularly like the look of either. I much preferred half ups. Once I found LHC and found more interesting ways of wearing my hair up I started enjoying them a lot more.

restless
September 16th, 2015, 10:54 AM
During my teenage years I wore my hair up in a super tight ponytail every.single.day. Not because I liked how it made me look, but because I simply didnt know what else to do with it as my hair went from straight to wurly during puberty and I couldnt care for it. Then in my early 20s I got a new haircut and suddenly it was fun wearing it down again, and so I did daily until about a year ago when I started a new fulltime job and had to put it up because of rules and safety reasons. I guess with time I got used to wearing it up, because nowadays it really annoys me wearing it down- its literally everywhere (!) -and I only wear it down for special occassions.

I cant say I prefer the way I look with it up though, but its keeps it safe as well as out of my face and out of my way. I also own some pretty hair toys and cant stand the thought of them just laying around collecting dust. So yeah, up it is.

Fericera
September 16th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Yes! I love it up! It stays clean for an extra two days, keeps me cool in summer, doesn't get in my way, and barely has to be detangled.

Monkshood
September 16th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I've never had hair long enough to wear it up pre-LHC. :p

I look much better with hair around my face, unfortunately I hate hair in my face... I only like updos on me from the back.

missrandie
September 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I have worn updos since I was around 8 years old, but always with bangs. For me, it's how I look. Not necessarily better or worse, just me. Though I always was one to let my hair down for special occasions.

Hairkay
September 16th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I grew up having my hair plaited/braided back and off of my face. This was the best way to deal with my little curls and keep tangles at bay. I only had my hair loose twice in childhood. The two times I was in Carnival. I was in the tropics so I kept my neck bare. I didn't wear buns. I only knew one girl who did. Everyone else who wore buns or complicated updos were the same age as my grandmother.

chen bao jun
September 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM
In terms of comfort, yes. I have hair that gets all over the place. It's--I don't how to describe it. Floaty? Its lightweight somehow( though I'm a high density) and it flips, swings blows around, though its not a hairtype that you typically think of as flippy. It gets in my eyes, mouth--I set it on fire by accident once. so , yeah---UP

Up also solves the 'other people want to put their hands in my hair' problem. I swear, everybody in the world seems to want to play in my hair--except my husband (who is the only person I would WANT to play in my hair). doesn't matter if I know them or not and I'm not one of those 'want to kill you for touching my hair' people, I take it as a compliment, which I think it is--but it gets old. I mean, I have had people scratch my face and stuff, by accident, but it still hurts, because they HAVE to tug on my curls. Arrgh.

I was up 99% of the time long before LHC.

On the other hand, down is immensely, incredibly more flattering. I always get compliment upon compliment, including from complete strangers when my hair is down.
When its up--meh. I'm just another aging lady in a bun. Which is fine with me. When I wear my hair down, the #1thing that people I see all the time say is "i didn't know you were so pretty with your hair down. You should ALWAYS wear your hair down"

(and I'm like ????? ummm--I don't care whether you 'know' I'm pretty or not, though I don't want to be rude. there are a few other considerations....)

Oh well.

hanne jensen
September 16th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I like my hair up all the time. When my hair is down it irritates me by getting in my face or just getting in the way. My neck also gets hot when my hair is down.

I'm growing my hair long so I can make braided updos.

TrapperCreekD
September 16th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Yes? I've never really had short hair - well, there's photographic evidence when I was like 4ish - its always been long and usually pulled back in a braid as far back as I can remember. When I took over doing my hair, I braided and bunned it. I'm not really happy with my face (acne) and think I look way better with my hair down... but I hate hair in my face! Other issues aside, short or really long bangs would drive me crazy though I think they would look good on me.

I feel so much better with it up, it won't get caught, ripped, pulled, tangled, nibbled, dirty, damaged, whatever else you can think of, when it's up. I suppose low-hanging branches could still attack me but that would happen anyway.

meteor
September 16th, 2015, 01:39 PM
For comfort and ease of movement: absolutely, yes! :agree: I didn't even know how to put hair up before the LHC, but I always kept it in braids, ponytails or at least half-ups simply because I couldn't stand hair getting absolutely everywhere - it's like blinkers! :lol: And it feels heavy and hot.

However, other people keep telling me that it looks way better down, but seriously... comfort over style any time! :rockerdud
Not to mention that I feel a bit like a messy version of CousinIt with my hair down! :lol:

Red.
September 16th, 2015, 01:39 PM
No, I used to wear my hair down all the time. Every day. I slowly started changing that and over time I just got used to wearing it up, and the longer it got the more necessary it felt. So now I wear it up every day instead of down. I think putting pretty things in my hair makes me like wearing it up more. If I had to wear a pony tail every day I probably would not enjoy it as much.

Hurven
September 16th, 2015, 01:49 PM
To be absolutely honest, I hate wearing my hair up because it makes me feel self-conscious about my face. So I usually put it in pigtail braids and oil the tassels to protect my ends.

DollyDagger
September 16th, 2015, 07:57 PM
For comfort and ease of movement: absolutely, yes! :agree: I didn't even know how to put hair up before the LHC, but I always kept it in braids, ponytails or at least half-ups simply because I couldn't stand hair getting absolutely everywhere - it's like blinkers! :lol: And it feels heavy and hot.

However, other people keep telling me that it looks way better down, but seriously... comfort over style any time! :rockerdud
Not to mention that I feel a bit like a messy version of CousinIt with my hair down! :lol:
lol @ cousin it :) Hush -I bet it looks more like aphrodite

hennalonghair
September 16th, 2015, 09:56 PM

Ditto! Love long hair but not when it's hanging in my face. Stuff to back of neck etc.
So yes to buns but I like I wear it in ponys & braids often

Groovy Granny
September 16th, 2015, 10:16 PM

I agree :agree:

Freija
September 17th, 2015, 04:39 AM
Yes, more than I like my hair down, really. I think my long, frizzy hair doesn't really flatter my face, it just looks a bit... unstyled. I'd possibly look better with a fringe but I HATE the upkeep and I quite like my hair swept back in a bun or plait or high ponytail. : )

mary*rose
September 17th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Ever since I was little I've never wore my hair down. I've always been a long-hair with braids because my mom loved having a little girl she could put in french braids and pigtails every day. I would be hard pressed to find a picture of myself as a child without braids.

Haha, funny story actually: My mom tells me I was born with very thick hair - not the wispy stuff that babies usually have. So the nurses had fun and put cornrows in my hair for my first baby pictures. My grandmother had a FIT. So my hair has always been braided - literally right out of the womb.

Currently, I realize how pretty my hair looks down, especially after I've undone a braid, but it's so much of a HASSLE. It's only down for show for a few hours at a time, at most, if at all.

spidermom
September 17th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I wanted to share this up-style because I love how the picture came out.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/86f92171-9c1a-4166-892e-1b3a4e598444_zpsqghrxtfz.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/86f92171-9c1a-4166-892e-1b3a4e598444_zpsqghrxtfz.jpg.html)

missrandie
September 17th, 2015, 08:58 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/86f92171-9c1a-4166-892e-1b3a4e598444_zpsqghrxtfz.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/86f92171-9c1a-4166-892e-1b3a4e598444_zpsqghrxtfz.jpg.html)

How beautiful, spidermom!

Madora
September 17th, 2015, 09:03 AM
From birth through grade school I always wore it down...it was short. Once I started growing long I learned to wear it up because wearing it up lessened the opportunities for tangles and it was a lot cooler. My hair was very thick and it was bothersome unless I controlled it somehow.

DollyDagger
September 17th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Beautiful :) pic, hair, lighting at dusk with the setting sun

AutobotsAttack
September 17th, 2015, 06:53 PM
for the most part I have always enjoyed my hair up. Although that wasn't always the case. I used to always wear it down for sake of style. Now that I realize protective styling and bunning is indeed a MUST to see length retention for my hair type, I'm honestly kicking myself in the butt for not wearing my hair up in the first place.

RavenRose
September 17th, 2015, 07:27 PM
spidermom- very very pretty!

I like to wear my hair down, but I would always sport a elastic on my wrist, so that whenever I was working on something I could quickly put it up in a low pony/pull through bun thing than always fell out within an hour, I always had a frizzy halo of breakage from my neck down due to pulling it so tight to get it to stay. I am learning new ways to put it up where it actually stays for a few hours- almost all day with only a few hair items. I love the look of braids, but they can be very time consuming, and my hair tends to slip out of them all to often...

Doreen
September 17th, 2015, 09:06 PM
For the first 14 years of my life I rarely ever wore my hair up. Once it got to TBL or so, I would braid it a bit, but only around classic did I start to wear it up more often that not. Now I never wear it down. I definitely feel prettier with my hair down than in a bun, but having it loose and walking two or more miles a day around a humid campus is just not feasible at knee. Braids are my happy medium.

Chamomile betty
September 18th, 2015, 05:06 AM
I always wear my hair up. I just think it keeps my hair out of the way and tangle free. One of the reasons I grew it long was to wear up dos.

luvlonghair75
September 18th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I always ever had my hair in a ponytail or mom would make me a braid when I was younger. Not alot changed over the years but I do prefer to have my hair up over having it down. I used to wear ponytails alot but then realized that they were breaking off my hair, even the elastics without metal parts. So now, it's either up in a lazy clip or in a lazy braid. Even a french braid I find somewhat a challenge and should really practice at it!

Entangled
September 18th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I like the way I look better with my hair down, but I have never liked the sensation of wearing it down. I love having long hair and not having to feel it, but still having th option to wear it down. I'm now working on ways to flatter my face, but I can't really go the YouTube route because I can't for the life of me figure out my face shape.

shakenmilk
September 18th, 2015, 02:38 PM
When I was young I always wore it down, mainly because I couldn't get a ponytail to be secure and look the way I envisioned it. I thought it should curve out from my head the way ponytails are drawn in cartoons and similar images, but it would just droop and look sad rather than perky.
One day another girl saw me move my hair away from my neck and pointed out a mole that I have there and asked if that was why I never put my hair up in a ponytail. It wasn't, but thanks for making me self-conscious about it. :undecided I'm still self-conscious enough that if I photograph my bun, I will crop it so the mole isn't in the picture.
(Photographing my hair/the back of my head has made me self-conscious about the part and whether or not the hair there is thinning and if it's made worse by wearing my hair up and secured the same way all the time, augh! I've been wearing it down more often as a result.)

spidermom
September 18th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I like the way I look better with my hair down, but I have never liked the sensation of wearing it down. I love having long hair and not having to feel it, but still having th option to wear it down. I'm now working on ways to flatter my face, but I can't really go the YouTube route because I can't for the life of me figure out my face shape.

Have you tried tracing the outline of your face on the mirror with something that washes off? Also, if you ever go to a stylist, ask him or her. Or post a picture and ask.

HairFanson
September 18th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I throw my hair up for work and such, but in general I prefer my hair down.
Unfortunately, I am also dealing with acne, acne treatment flaking, and post-acne hyperpigmentation, and often use my hair to "hide" my face quite a bit. Trying to wear my hair up to protect it, but having to expose my face more is REALLY unappealing. Also, my ears are two totally different shapes, and I do NOT want to call attention to them with sparkly spangly earrings! LOL

On a good note, the oils I have been using for my hair, are actually really good for my skin too, so I am seeing improvement on both fronts with my new haircare routine. And on another note- I did a Castor/Jojoba mask last night (hair and face), wore my hair down today (because it is insanely soft and won't hold any sort of style) and everyone asked if I had a haircut because my ends look brand new! Its been about 3 months since my last cut!

Maybe between the acne resolving, the oils helping the peeling, and wanting my hair to grow lovely and long I will get over the ears thing and be able to wear it up and safely tucked away. Time will tell, but I know I don't want to put all this effort into gorgeous locks just to hide them away every day...

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I never did like wearing my hair up, at least where it bared my ears; now I embrace my Dumbo ears and I'm comfortable with that... :p

endlessly
September 18th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I never liked (and still really don't) having to wear my hair up. Personally, I feel I look better with my hair down, but considering the length and thickness, it ends up getting caught or being in my way most of the time. So, as a result, I'm forced to wear it up in order to prevent further damage to my hair and make my daily life easier. It took a lot of time feeling comfortable with it up and while I still miss being able to wear it down, I know that in the long run it's much better for my sanity!

Entangled
September 18th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Have you tried tracing the outline of your face on the mirror with something that washes off? Also, if you ever go to a stylist, ask him or her. Or post a picture and ask.
I haven't tried the mirror thing. I do have a problem deciding the angle to use. I think I'll try that, though.

RainbowBowser
September 18th, 2015, 11:03 PM
"Have you always liked yourself with your hair up/pulled back and worn it like that in the past maybe even before you started growing?"
I never wore my hair up in the past, aside from the pulling feeling being too much, I was self-conscious of my strong jaw (I have a squared jaw and large forehead).

"Or was it something that you just had to come to terms with and do even though you didn't prefer it up?"
Definitely came to terms with it.
However I don't regret it because I like knowing if I don't want to deal with my hair, I can just put it in a nautilus and go about my day.
I'm over the strong jaw thing, yeah I know I look better with my hair down but whatever, long hair is my goal and to attain that I need to protect it.

FallingDarkness
September 19th, 2015, 01:26 AM
I liked how my hair looked in a French braid or maybe some pig tails, but not really UP up. I like wearing my hair down, I feel a little prettier that way, but I still think I look good with my hair up. If I wasn't growing out my hair, my hair would probably down more often, but because I am I'm perfectly happy with wearing it up all the time :D

MINAKO
September 19th, 2015, 04:00 AM
No!!! I want indestructsble and tangle free hair that i could wear down or in a ponytail at all times. I like buns, but the are honestly just the next best thing to me.

bte
September 19th, 2015, 04:42 AM
Hey Everyone,

Years of my sister calling me a potatoe head..(don't laugh Im scarred ..lol ) when my hairs up kind of makes me feel a little self-conscious when my hairs up..I wear it up anyways but I'm quite certain it is more flattering when it is down on me...but Ill suffer and wear it up..lol to let it grow :)

TIA
For sharing :)
Dollydagger:blossom:
Yes, I always wanted hair long enough to tie back and wore a ponytail even in the late 60s when men didn't do so. Since then I have always worn my hair tied back whenever possible. It makes it feel long.

Radioduck
September 19th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I've always liked my hair best in either a ponytail or a braids. It's not as much about how it looks as it is about comfort: I simply think that my hair can be in the way too much when it's down, and also it get's pretty warm. However, I've actually started to wear it down a bit more now. Don't really know why, actually. Maybe because it has become long enough to not fall in front of my face all the time.

mary*rose
September 19th, 2015, 11:02 AM
This would have made an interesting survey question. It seems the majority of us like the LOOK of having our hair down, but not the hassle... The struggles of longhairs :)

missc1115
September 19th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Yes! Because my hair touching my face kind of drives me crazy.

hinabelle
September 19th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I hated the way I looked with my hair up. I always wore my hair down unless I HAD
to wear my hair up. But when I started doing the "wear your hair up" challenge, I
didn't really mind the way I looked. Especially since it's protecting my hair! :) I'm
almost at 200 days straight :)

sarahthegemini
September 20th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Tbh I don't really like the way I look with my hair up, I feel much more attractive with it down. But then it gets in my way, so up it goes :p

Eichan
September 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM
I first started wearing my hair up at 14, out of necessity when I tried sebum only for a month. I always thought it made my face look fat and puffy, and my cheekbones stood out too much.

5 years later, although I still love the look of it down, I don't think that I look too different, and wearing it up is MUCH more comfortable!!! I can't stand to have it down because it's so hot and gets in my face :)

Lisa Long4Life
September 20th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I feel it suits me more wearing my hair down, and I look nicer. People tell me I look nicer with it down, but it annoys me. I can't last long without wanting to tie it up.
I nearly went for the chop at my last appointment because of this, but I just decided I needed to try more styles and jazz it up with pretty accessories. So I've been experimenting with different buns etc.
I have to wear it up for work to be practical anyway.

elvenelk
September 20th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Id like to wear it down, but It tends to not sit like with any weight.. It would generally be like a lion mane.

lalepepper
September 20th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I like being able to do both. My hair is pretty cooperative and air dries straight and smooth, but it can still be annoying at times being down. I like having the flexibility to choose an updo or wear it down, but my thickness makes a lot of updos difficult until I reach a certain length.

*ReiKa*
September 21st, 2015, 01:17 PM
I've never liked my hair up. I don't feel attractive, for me it's just the same as being bald or with a pixie.
Wearing it up from time to time or on "greasy hair days" it's fine, but everyday, nope. I'd just cut it short if I felt the need to wear my hair up everyday.

yahirwaO.o
September 21st, 2015, 01:29 PM
I've never liked my hair up. I don't feel attractive, for me it's just the same as being bald or with a pixie.
Wearing it up from time to time or on "greasy hair days" it's fine, but everyday, nope. I'd just cut it short if I felt the need to wear my hair up everyday.

Clearly we share very similar opinions! :cool: Up is ok for greasy dirty hair and thats it!!!!

xoAshley
September 21st, 2015, 01:40 PM
I don't mind wearing my hair up, but I don't do it super often. I would rather enjoy my long hair then keep it tied up. I tie it up when it could be easily damaged (driving with the windows down, doing anything active, etc. ) But a normal day sitting at my desk at work, it's usually down unless it's greasy.

Christine_O
September 21st, 2015, 02:59 PM
I've just started the process of growing my hair back out, but I was never the up do type. I love to wear my hair in a braid, but up dos always came down (by choice or by slippery hair.)

Stray_mind
September 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time. It's comfy and protects it while i'm growing. I do let it loose sometimes though. I enjoy both, though recently am thinking about a fringe or sth like that to liven up the updos since they look kinda boring.