PDA

View Full Version : Homemade heat protectant spray?

queenbee1
September 15th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Newbie here! Did anybody know how to make homemade all natural heat protectant spray? Thanks in advance x 😀

Finallymajor
September 15th, 2015, 07:13 AM
not a spray but can a teeny bit of a natural oil (coconut, grapeseed, etc) do the trick?

restless
September 15th, 2015, 07:28 AM
not a spray but can a teeny bit of a natural oil (coconut, grapeseed, etc) do the trick?

Wont that literally fry the hair? :confused:

YellowLedbetter
September 15th, 2015, 08:49 AM
From what I've read shea butter can provide heat and uv protection. http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/11/shea-butter-benefits-for-hair.html

LongCurlyTress
September 15th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Wont that literally fry the hair? :confused:
Absolutely YES!!! Ummmm--- Question: What does a steak do (hair is mostly made up of protein) with heat and oil (the fat in the steak) in a frypan?? HMMM???:whistle:

Answer: It gets fried/burnt/charred!

But, go ahead and give it a go if you don't believe me... lol...:soapbox:

No heat especially with ANY oils or as little as possible heat on your poor strands... pretty please?? :blossom:

holothuroidea
September 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Absolutely YES!!! Ummmm--- Question: What does a steak do (hair is mostly made up of protein) with heat and oil (the fat in the steak) in a frypan?? HMMM???:whistle:

Answer: It gets fried/burnt/charred!

The oil actually protects the steak. Think about how the steak would turn out if you didn't use oil.

However, the amount of oil you'd need to put on your hair to get even a small amount of protection from the heat would ruin any kind of style you wanted to achieve by using heat in the first place.

I think the best protection you can offer your hair against heat is to use it as gently and infrequently as possible.

LongCurlyTress
September 15th, 2015, 10:34 AM
The oil actually protects the steak. Think about how the steak would turn out if you didn't use oil.

However, the amount of oil you'd need to put on your hair to get even a small amount of protection from the heat would ruin any kind of style you wanted to achieve by using heat in the first place.

I think the best protection you can offer your hair against heat is to use it as gently and infrequently as possible.

Oil protects the steak? HUH?? Not mine.. it is sizzling and frying and drying out, at least that is how my steaks cook. ;) Oh geesh... now this is making me hungry! Bottom line is use heat very sparingly, if at all. ;)

starshade
September 15th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I remember reading somewhere that argan oil is supposed to have heat protecting properties, but not really sure if that's accurate. maybe someone else who knows will chime in...

Anje
September 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the purpose of oil in cooking is to transfer the heat more evenly to the irregular surface of the food. My steaks cook just fine on a dry grill, though they stick a little more.

OP, the general thing with heat-protectant sprays is that they're silicone-based. I think most of us here use heat little enough and are protective enough of our hair that we're not likely to go experimenting with oils which may or may not make the heat transfer to our hair more efficient. Now, I suppose you could go get the ingredients for a silicone-based heat protection spray and make it yourself, but I think unless you're planning on crafting it in significant quantities you're not likely to have much economic improvement or increased "naturalness" over just using a store-bought product. Around here, the preferred solution is usually going to be to reduce the frequency that you expose hair to heat, rather than try to use heat as much as ever and buffer against it. Not using heat and using cooler settings when you do is a much more reliable way of preventing heat damage.

Nadine <3
September 15th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure anything natural would actually protect your hair from heat. Maybe an oil might offer a tiny bit of protection, but if I were heat styling my hair I'd be loading my hair in cones and then using a not so natural store bought heat protection spray.

holothuroidea
September 15th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Oil protects the steak? HUH?? Not mine.. it is sizzling and frying and drying out, at least that is how my steaks cook. ;) Oh geesh... now this is making me hungry! Bottom line is use heat very sparingly, if at all. ;)

I admittedly do not really eat or cook steak, but I am a chemist and I can say for certain that the oil creates a hydrophobic barrier that partially protects the meat from moisture loss and burning. If you tried to cook the steak without oil, it would be inedible.

The amount of oil you'd have to put on your hair to get the same sort of protection from the heat would be absolutely gross, though, and either way the steak (hair) ends up chemically altered and can never be uncooked.

ETA:

I'm pretty sure the purpose of oil in cooking is to transfer the heat more evenly to the irregular surface of the food. My steaks cook just fine on a dry grill, though they stick a little more.

Steaks cook fine on a dry grill because there is oil already distributed throughout the meat and there is enough air circulation around it to avoid having too much heat in any one place, apart from the actual metal parts that it comes in contact with which is why you get those burned on grill lines and it sticks.

If you wanted to continue the analogy but with grilling instead of frying, you could try putting 95% lean meat on a grill without any oil and see what happens.

LongCurlyTress
September 15th, 2015, 10:51 AM
All I can say is that if heat protectants worked, with/without silicones, I would be straightening my hair everyday!! I wish there was a way to protect our hair from heat... but sadly there isn't. I have experimented so many times just hoping this or that heat protectant would work, but my hair always turns out frizzier than before I experimented after the next time I wash my hair. It just seems to me that oil and high heat= frying your hair into a frizzball. Just sayin' :blossom: If you find something that works, please please share it here!! ;)

holothuroidea
September 15th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I'm not saying that oil will stop heat from damaging your hair. I'm saying that if you put enough oil on it, you would have some measure of superficial protection from the heat but it you would still irreparably change the hair.

If there was a way to protect hair from heat, then heat styling wouldn't work. The heat needs to damage your hair in order to see the change you want.

It works the same way for permanent dyes and perms and chemical straighteners. If there was a way to protect your hair from the chemicals, the chemicals wouldn't change the hair.

LongCurlyTress
September 15th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I'm not saying that oil will stop heat from damaging your hair. I'm saying that if you put enough oil on it, you would have some measure of superficial protection from the heat but it you would still irreparably change the hair.

If there was a way to protect hair from heat, then heat styling wouldn't work. The heat needs to damage your hair in order to see the change you want.

It works the same way for permanent dyes and perms and chemical straighteners. If there was a way to protect your hair from the chemicals, the chemicals wouldn't change the hair.

Thank you! That is what I was trying to say. :blossom:

Anje... your post too I agree with! ;)

Maybe also it depends on the person's hair growing goals... if one wants the layered look and maintain it at bsl, with frequent trims, then maybe straightening can work using alot of heat protectant/oils... but I wouldn't risk it.

Finallymajor
September 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
hmmm.. a lot of natural hair gals use it sparingly but to use an oil for anything you must know what and why you are using. IE smoke points and not just heat styling irresponsibly with a temperature. I'd love to know more (if this is a bad practice!)

holothuroidea
September 15th, 2015, 11:19 AM
hmmm.. a lot of natural hair gals use it sparingly but to use an oil for anything you must know what and why you are using. IE smoke points and not just heat styling irresponsibly with a temperature. I'd love to know more (if this is a bad practice!)

If you're heating your hair past the smoke point of ANY oil, you would literally be burning the hair and the oil would be the least of your worries.

Any oil should be safe to use while heat styling. If it makes you nervous, though, oils with more saturated fats that are solid closer to room temperature have the highest smoke points. So coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, would all be good choices.

Finallymajor
September 15th, 2015, 11:52 AM
If you're heating your hair past the smoke point of ANY oil, you would literally be burning the hair and the oil would be the least of your worries.

meep! I think my reply was taken literally. The smoke point was only brought up to say that, in fact, some oils have a higher heat protectant property! lol good call out though haha

lapushka
September 15th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I'd just buy a heat protectant spray, TBH. It's not worth it. Definitely do not put a natural oil on your hair, a silicone serum might be different, but that's not homemade either, now is it? ;)

DollyDagger
September 15th, 2015, 12:08 PM
^Agreed with lapushka- These sprays I'm sure go through laboratory testings and such and have to have shown at least some kind of protecting ability..?( you would hope) Messing with a homemade conconction might be perilous in this instance.

meteor
September 15th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I agree with Anje. :agree:

queenbee1, if you let us know what styles you are going for, we can probably help you with easy heat-free alternatives. :flower: The thing is, even high quality commercial heat protectants do not protect from heat in a very significant way: they allow for heat tools to slide faster without snagging, thanks to silicones, but that's it, so do not think that your hair will not be damaged with a heat protectant on. (Also, some silicones are made to be somewhat heat-resistant so I would use cones rather than oils for heat protection, and I think I would save DIY approach for pre-poo treatments and masks/oils instead. :flower:)

Nique1202
September 15th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Natural is overrated. Using "natural" products (plant-derived, I guess is what you mean) to avoid "chemicals" is silly because everything is made of chemicals and most of the manmade stuff was originally discovered and refined from stuff in plants. If you want to avoid silicones because of buildup, that's up to yourself, but as long as you use a shampoo or conditioner that thoroughly cleans your hair, if you don't use a huge amount of heat protectant spray between each wash you shouldn't get significant buildup anyway. Ideally you'll want to only heat style your hair once between every wash, and find ways to wear it at night to maintain the style you've put into it.

The best "natural" way to protect your hair is to use the lowest possible temperature and to never use direct heat on wet or oiled hair. Water in the hair will explode into steam on contact with a hot appliance, and any oil will fry your hair. There are no non-silicone oils that will effectively protect hair from heat.

queenbee1
September 15th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Thank you so much for your lovely replies everybody! Its overwhelming the amount of knowledge you guys have! I guess I'll be buying a heat protectant spray after all! I was just going for all natural because I'm too lazy to go to the market, lol, my bad (easier going to the kitchen). I straighten my hair once a month usually at the lowest temperature, but I've never used a heat protectant spray before and my ends are really, really dry and even one time straightening really messes up my hair. Thank you for the advice though! X ☺😁💕

holothuroidea
September 15th, 2015, 02:36 PM
A commercial product would probably be best in your situation. Just remember that you need to adequately wash the product out to avoid build up because heat protectants have silicones.

Other than that, any time you can avoid straightening your hair will go a long way help it to grow in the long run.

queenbee1
September 16th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Thank you so much☺ I'll keep that in mind😘

allierat
September 16th, 2015, 02:38 AM
Thank you so much for your lovely replies everybody! Its overwhelming the amount of knowledge you guys have! I guess I'll be buying a heat protectant spray after all! I was just going for all natural because I'm too lazy to go to the market, lol, my bad (easier going to the kitchen). I straighten my hair once a month usually at the lowest temperature, but I've never used a heat protectant spray before and my ends are really, really dry and even one time straightening really messes up my hair. Thank you for the advice though! X ☺����

There are ways to get very straight hair without using straightners, or even any heat at all. I can get my wavy hair lovely and straight using the right products and a hairdryer on a fairly low setting or youtube has videos on how to do other things, I guess it will depend on your hair type what works best. It's worth having a look into as ditching my straightners was the single best thing I ever did for my hair health and even though once a month isn't much, if it's enough for you to be noticing damage it's worth considering stopping.

queenbee1
September 16th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Realllyyy?? Wowww😍😍 that'd be great! I tried the thing where you wrap your hair around your head but it didn't work. Could you give me some ideas? Pretty pleaseee? Maybe i could work my way from there?😍😆

meteor
September 16th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Realllyyy?? Wowww😍😍 that'd be great! I tried the thing where you wrap your hair around your head but it didn't work. Could you give me some ideas? Pretty pleaseee? Maybe i could work my way from there?😍😆

^ Queenbee1, have you tried wet-setting hair like this :) :
- in jumbo (satin-covered) foam rollers, like this (http://img1.targetimg1.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS/img/p/14/15/14150771_120607203000.jpg), or
- in "caterpillar braids" (multiple bands put on wet/damp hair to let it dry in straighter shape)?
The bigger the roller, the straighter the result, especially at the roots. Another thing that helps is to ponytail the hair at the roots and then add the rollers: this creates straightened roots but wavy/curly ends.

And if you want to blow-dry your hair straight, just remember to always point the nozzle downwards as you are moving the blow-dryer, to help the cuticle lay "flatter", and keep combing your hair down as it is drying. I'd recommend using cool setting or warm setting, ideally below 50 C (these temperatures are not damaging).
You might want to add leave-in or rinse-out conditioner on wet hair as your setting lotion, as well as a bit of oil/cony serum - it really helps with preventing frizz.
And to preserve the style longer, I'd recommend sleeping on silk/satin pillowcase or wrapping hair in silky scarf overnight. :)

AutobotsAttack
September 16th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure anything natural would actually protect your hair from heat. Maybe an oil might offer a tiny bit of protection, but if I were heat styling my hair I'd be loading my hair in cones and then using a not so natural store bought heat protection spray.

I'm going to have to agree with Nadine on this one. Sometimes the more synthetic products do a better job at protecting from heat. Oils help protect against heat from the sun mainly

LongCurlyTress
September 16th, 2015, 05:47 PM
This takes awhile but it does work to get straighter/wavier hair without heat. Simply squeeze out as much excess water as you can with a good turbie towel/t-shirt and then detangle using a comb. Then make a lazy wrap bun or even a cinammon bun with two claw clips, one on either side of the bun at nape level. Then every hour or so, gently comb out your hair and then rebun. It does take awhile but your hair will eventually dry straighter. Also, if your hair is bsl or shorter, you can make a french twist with a claw clip and instead of leaving the peacock ends out, tuck them into the roll. Your hair will also dry straighter with alot of wave. Good luck! It also helps to use a dime sized amount of Evoo on your length ears to tips before you detangle your hair when damp. And then EVOO or jojoba will help to calm down any frizzies. ;) I have curly 3b hair but the damp bun method gets my hair so straight like in my siggy pic below this post. In cooler weather, I do use a hairdryer on warm and dry my roots of my hair by pulling the hairs around my face taunt so they dry straighter but I never ever use a hair straightener. Good luck! :blossom:

queenbee1
September 17th, 2015, 02:50 AM
Thank you so much! I will definitely try these I'm so excited :)

queenbee1
September 17th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Thank you so, so much! I'm very excited! Your hair is lovely and i can't wait to make mine like yours😍☺

LongCurlyTress
September 17th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Thank you so, so much! I'm very excited! Your hair is lovely and i can't wait to make mine like yours��☺

Thanks so much queenbee1! Try to not use any heat or at least not on the length-- ears to tips. If you do use a hairdryer, then med heat only on your scalp area and to straighten my bangs area by holding them tauntly and letting the dryer blow only that section dry. This does still frizz out my hair-halo but eventually I can BBB brush the halo down if I put my hair into a bun. Good luck!! Hope you can not use your straightener anymore! Also, remember to put a drop of EVOO or jojoba oil or some lighter oil on your length, just a dime sized amount to help with the frizzies once it dries. Please pm me if you need more help with this. KK?? ;)

queenbee1
September 17th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Of course i will! Thank you☺