PDA

View Full Version : Does Hair Need to Be Down

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Hi Everyone:

I was reading on an old thread and someone ( I think named Heidi W?) was giving advice that hair *needs* to be down at least for certain times so that the follicle can rest and the hair can grow "downwards" in its natural growth pattern. I think the advice was referring specifically to keeping hair down at night.

So I was wondering could wearing hair up 24 hours a day 7 days a week or close to that be counterproductive and hamper growth..? Do you think hair *need* to be down for any length of time on a regular basis?

T.I.A:sun:
Dollydagger

spidermom
September 14th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I don't think so. My hair is generally down only just after I've washed it (so it can dry) and when I'm combing it out in the morning or the evening. Sometimes I'll leave it down for awhile if it's cool enough weather and I'm not doing anything that will cause it to be in my way or tangle badly.

Nique1202
September 14th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Nah. If hair is worn up in the same spot all the time it can irritate the follicles or cause traction alopecia (especially if it's pulled tight) so if you wear your hair up all the time it's best that you wear hair in different styles for day and night (even just moving a bun from, say, the back of the head to the top, or swapping out for a braid, or whatever) but I don't think the follicle needs to point downward just to grow. If it did, how would you explain why astronauts on the space station need trims?

Seeshami
September 14th, 2015, 09:48 AM
The Naughty Mess says, "When I am down the button to end all things is hidden and I cannot press it so I am generally jailed so the button can be found and safe guarded"

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys-:heart: I figured most wouldnt feel it hardly ever needs to be down

spidermom, Nique1202, Seeshami, (lol) & Naughty Big Mess and pumpkin cohort :p

Madora
September 14th, 2015, 10:10 AM
It seems to me that your hair would benefit from being down--if only for a few minutes--each day, to help stimulate the follicles, and thus aid in growth.

The follicles need some type of stimulation to do their work...either gentle combing or brushing, or daily massage. You don't have to keep your hair down long...but exercising the follicles in some manner is good for overall hair health.

restless
September 14th, 2015, 10:18 AM
No, I dont believe hair needs to be down to be able to grow one way or another. I have no proof of course, but it honestly doesnt make any sense to me. However, the follicle resting part is a different matter and my hair needs to be down every now and then. Not because it wont grow when bunned, but because my scalp needs a break or itīll get tired and sore.

lapushka
September 14th, 2015, 10:21 AM
My hair is up during my waking hours, but down during sleep-time. I don't think my follicles could take it being up all the time.

Lauraes
September 14th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I think it maybe depends on the person and how sensitive your scalp is. I need to have my hair down once in awhile because wearing my hair up too much gives me bad headaches from the weight of my hair. I wear my hair up during the day, and loose in a sleep cap at night, and that greatly reduces the amount of hair-related headaches I get now.

missrandie
September 14th, 2015, 10:37 AM
I think it helps to let it down once in a while, if only to let the follicles rest. I know I always had to let my hair down about 5:00 every night, especially if I was studying. I was the queen of tension headaches, and letting my hair down and massaging my scalp went a long way in relieving them.

As for the growth factor,m I'm not sure.. but it sure is good to stimulate the follicles a bit, if only to prevent sore spots.

yahirwaO.o
September 14th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I think some people put hair up during the day and at night they just braid or put it in cap with it loose. I think it reallly neeeds to rest from time to time, but changind the postion and variation of the style should do the job....

On the other hand, I usesdto do that to my hair but I never felt really good with it. I just feel million times better with long flowing hair!

parkmikii
September 14th, 2015, 11:36 AM
I don't necessarily think that keeping the hair up or down is related too much to growth as hair grows from the inside of the scalp. However I never sleep with the same hairstyle. My hair is in a bun during the day and loosely braided in a satin cap during the night.

neko_kawaii
September 14th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Up or down I doubt affects the speed of growth. I have a sensitive scalp that results in headaches if my hair is worn up too much. Wearing it in a sleep cap at night seems to be all the "down time" it needs.

M.McDonough
September 14th, 2015, 02:23 PM
The Naughty Mess says, "When I am down the button to end all things is hidden and I cannot press it so I am generally jailed so the button can be found and safe guarded"

Just out of curiosity, you are a girl, right?

M.McDonough
September 14th, 2015, 02:27 PM
My hair is up during my waking hours, but down during sleep-time. I don't think my follicles could take it being up all the time.

Isn's that annoying? My hair gets caught a lot behind me back at night, so sometimes a throw it up in a messy bun..

Anje
September 14th, 2015, 02:29 PM
My scalp likes to get a break, so I guess my hair needs to be down or at least in a braid. My scalp also gets rather grumpy if I keep a soggy bun against it, so my hair tends to be down to dry, at least. But I don't think these are generalized requirements. If I were fond of the look, I might train my scalp to accept having a bun right smack on top of my head be its norm, because the style takes weight so well. But, it's a lousy look for me and I like to wear hats!

DaveDecker
September 14th, 2015, 02:42 PM

How does it matter?

lapushka
September 14th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Isn's that annoying? My hair gets caught a lot behind me back at night, so sometimes a throw it up in a messy bun..

I fold it up and sleep on it. :lol: So it rarely gets caught behind my back. I don't move much either, so...

Seeshami
September 14th, 2015, 02:45 PM

The naughty mess says, "Seeshami is a female slave girl human. As a hair monster my gender does to comform to human standards but to keep things sensical Seeshami has identified me as evil and male"

This is the crap that happens when his highness is down. Mess we agreed you're only allowed to blog with out me. Get back in your bun!

The naughty mess says, "I. DO. WHAT. I. WANT"

That's it I am changing my password. BTW mom says keeping your hair up and or braided stimulates growth so i think it depends on the old wives tale you grew up with.

His highness is generally in a sleep roll or bun and up in a bun during the day. Down time happens in the car now on the way to work when needing to dry generally it's an hour and a half drive and probably really only spends 5 hours a week down.

The naughty mess says, "untill I am capable of overpowering 7 inches bwahahahahahahaha"

You mean too fat. Derailing done he's gonna strangle me for that one I need to tighten my bun for seeshami saftey.

LemonFizzy
September 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Derailing done he's gonna strangle me for that one I need to tighten my bun for seeshami saftey.

I'm not really sure how handing HRH (His Royal Highness) a pumpkin in your very cute avatar pic helps with Seeshami safety.

:pumpkin:!!!!October Hairstyle of the Month!!!!:pumpkin:

ETA emoticons

Angela_Rose
September 14th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Methinks that's probably an old wives' tale (tail?). Mine seems to be doing just fine in the growth department (knee+... Calfish?), even though it is up the vast majority of the time.

MINAKO
September 14th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I take my sleep bun down before i even get out of bed, then hair stays down until i'm done in the bathroom and go over to my room to comb and do my bun for the day. If i dont go out i wear it down for a few hours sometimes, but only recently cause itdoesn't get tangly anymore like it used to. I dont think wearing it up hindets growth or wearing it down encourages it. My scalp just doesnt like the weight sometimes, doesn't mean that has anything to do with the growth rate.
If i hit my head on the table i don't think my follicles would know if that is supposed to be stimulating or harmful, they do their job on their own.

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Thnx for your thoughts to all those who weighed in so far:skittles:- mostly up sure does seem to work ..:) for yalls ! I guess noone ever keeps it up always..and our scalp tends to let us know when its time for down time.

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2015, 05:01 PM
I wear mine up most of the day and I put it in a loose braid for bedtime. If anything my hair has co-operated so much better with it being up! I do let it down a couple hours a night to loosen it up and lightly brush through, massaging as I go. I think if it's very tightly braided or what have you all the time, then it might be doing damage to the follicles, causing hairs to fall out.

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 05:12 PM
^Yes that traction alopecia sounds pretty horrible. I dont like my hair ever pulled back very tightly.

endlessly
September 14th, 2015, 08:29 PM
I really think it depends on your preference. If I wear my hair up 100% of the time, my scalp aches from the weight of my hair, so I frequently let it loose for a few hours each day - not too long, though, as it likes to catch on things. At night however, it's always contained in a braid of some sort mainly to avoid tangles.

gthlvrmx
September 14th, 2015, 08:49 PM
So I was wondering could wearing hair up 24 hours a day 7 days a week or close to that be counterproductive and hamper growth..?: Nope! Your hair growth should do fine.
Do you think hair *need* to be down for any length of time on a regular basis?: Nope, unless you are putting your hair into tight styles that pull on the scalp, then maybe you should give your hair a break. Too much pulling can be a negative thing.

Seeshami
September 14th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I'm not really sure how handing HRH (His Royal Highness) a pumpkin in your very cute avatar pic helps with Seeshami safety.

:pumpkin:!!!!October Hairstyle of the Month!!!!:pumpkin:

ETA emoticons

There is a clip in the back to keep His highness properly wrangled so I can focus on balancing a pumpkin. Smaller more adorable pumpkinettes should be used.

cat11
September 14th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I think during the natural coarse of your routine and life your hair will end up being down enough- for combing, washing, whatever- to not need to worry about it.

M.McDonough
September 15th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I fold it up and sleep on it. :lol: So it rarely gets caught behind my back. I don't move much either, so...I really want to see your hair