PDA

View Full Version : Hemline Question

Becs
September 13th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I've been microtrimming for a while and I plan to continue doing so, as I really want to get rid of my braid taper after not trimming at all for almost three years. I've been trimming my hair so that when it is pulled to the front it is even and straight across, as I do my braids in the front and I prefer not to have any braid shred near the ends. However, recently I've been noticing that I think this may be translating to a U shape in the back! The part of my hair that makes up the sides when behind me (which is the front when pulled to the front, as in it is the part growing closest to my face) seems a bit shorter than the middle if that makes sense. Not that I don't find Us beautiful, but it just isn't the look I want. I would like my hem to be straight and blunt. Is it impossible to have your hair be straight and even both in the back and when you pull it to the front? Any advice or tips?

spidermom
September 13th, 2015, 05:36 PM
No. If you cut your hair to be blunt and straight across the back, the sides will fall longer when you pull everything toward the front.

Hopeful65
September 13th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I like my hair to be straight and blunt, same exact length all the way from back to the front. I always had a hard time achieving this, as somehow the front would seem shorter.
THEN I discovered a different use for my curved Creaclip. Instead of using it in the U shaped method like it's intended for, I turn it upside down, like a frown, and trim my hair. When done, it turns out being very straight and blunt, and the front feels long like the back. Also, it makes both sides in the front very even.
At least it's been working for me. I microtrim a lot and have been doing this method for a few months now. I have all one length hair, no layers or anything.

LongCurlyTress
September 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM
I like my hair to be straight and blunt, same exact length all the way from back to the front. I always had a hard time achieving this, as somehow the front would seem shorter.
THEN I discovered a different use for my curved Creaclip. Instead of using it in the U shaped method like it's intended for, I turn it upside down, like a frown, and trim my hair. When done, it turns out being very straight and blunt, and the front feels long like the back. Also, it makes both sides in the front very even.
At least it's been working for me. I microtrim a lot and have been doing this method for a few months now. I have all one length hair, no layers or anything.

So when you are using your Creaclip upside down, is that in front of you holding both sides of your hair or someone holding it down your back behind you in a blunt cut? Thanks!! I just did Faye's trimming method with my head straight and my hair pulled down on each side in front of me and trimmed off a half inch or so. It came out looking like my siggie pic with a slight u shape in back but I would much rather have a blunt cut straight across trim. And I do have the Creaclip but didnt use it this time. Thanks!

hennalonghair
September 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
I've been microtrimming for a while and I plan to continue doing so, as I really want to get rid of my braid taper after not trimming at all for almost three years. I've been trimming my hair so that when it is pulled to the front it is even and straight across, as I do my braids in the front and I prefer not to have any braid shred near the ends. However, recently I've been noticing that I think this may be translating to a U shape in the back! The part of my hair that makes up the sides when behind me (which is the front when pulled to the front, as in it is the part growing closest to my face) seems a bit shorter than the middle if that makes sense. Not that I don't find Us beautiful, but it just isn't the look I want. I would like my hem to be straight and blunt. Is it impossible to have your hair be straight and even both in the back and when you pull it to the front? Any advice or tips?

That might not work for you because it will give you a U shape depending if you're looking down while cutting.

What I would do is put all your hair in a ponytail at the back with a covered elastic. Wear two to keep it firm and contained.
Keep your head straight and looking forward into the mirror. Gradually pull down on the covered elasticity until you are at the area you want to trim. You might need to tighten the covered elastics because these should be snug & tight.
Now without turning your head much bring your tail up and trim a bit at a time. Take out the tail comb out hair and see if this works better for you. If you like it then cut the amount off that you need.

I always cut my own hair now and it's worked for me. Of course I do a bit more cause I've got thick wavy/curly hair but it's a nice even blunt cut.

Hopeful65
September 13th, 2015, 07:51 PM
So when you are using your Creaclip upside down, is that in front of you holding both sides of your hair or someone holding it down your back behind you in a blunt cut? Thanks!! I just did Faye's trimming method with my head straight and my hair pulled down on each side in front of me and trimmed off a half inch or so. It came out looking like my siggie pic with a slight u shape in back but I would much rather have a blunt cut straight across trim. And I do have the Creaclip but didnt use it this time. Thanks!

I use it in the back. I comb my hair all straight down, get the creaclip all centered, and pull it straight down to the ends. I do this by myself, and yes it would be much easier with help. I tilt my chin down slightly while pulling the creaclip to the ends. Then cut about 1/4" from the creaclip (not exactly against it), but still following the shape of the creaclip.

My hair is very fine, and sometimes my creaclip wants to slip off the ends, so I have figured out that I can use a clip on each end to squeeze it more firmly. (I just found two clips from the pantry that you use for chips bags etc.)

I just experimented with it in the upside down method one day and I really liked the results. I don't care for any kind of U shape on me.
So this is how I have continued doing it. I only take off a little bit of hair, maybe 1/8" at a time. Nothing very noticeable, yet my ends are looking much better with frequent trimming.

After I am done, and pull my hair to the front of me to check it, it seems nice and even.

Hope this helps. :)

LongCurlyTress
September 13th, 2015, 08:04 PM
I use it in the back. I comb my hair all straight down, get the creaclip all centered, and pull it straight down to the ends. I do this by myself, and yes it would be much easier with help. I tilt my chin down slightly while pulling the creaclip to the ends. Then cut about 1/4" from the creaclip (not exactly against it), but still following the shape of the creaclip.

My hair is very fine, and sometimes my creaclip wants to slip off the ends, so I have figured out that I can use a clip on each end to squeeze it more firmly. (I just found two clips from the pantry that you use for chips bags etc.)

I just experimented with it in the upside down method one day and I really liked the results. I don't care for any kind of U shape on me.
So this is how I have continued doing it. I only take off a little bit of hair, maybe 1/8" at a time. Nothing very noticeable, yet my ends are looking much better with frequent trimming.

After I am done, and pull my hair to the front of me to check it, it seems nice and even.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you!! Wish I could pull the Creaclip down my back but due to tendonitis in my shoulders I have to bring my hair in front of my shoulders. I am also unable to use it with my length at almost tbl due to alot of breakage the last time my DH gently slid it down my back in July.

When you put your hair in front of you, your hair does look like the creaclip was used in front of you under your chin. This I can do. Maybe in a couple of months for my next trim, I will give this a try. Every inch is so precious, isn't it? ;) Thanks again for your great ideas!!

Becs
September 13th, 2015, 11:24 PM

Where did you get the creaclip? Amazon? I've heard of them before but never been sure about getting one. It sounds promising

Hopeful65
September 13th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Where did you get the creaclip? Amazon? I've heard of them before but never been sure about getting one. It sounds promising

I'm not sure because someone ordered it for me for Christmas. Possibly Amazon though. I have seen them on ebay. I like mine and am glad I have it.

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure because someone ordered it for me for Christmas. Possibly Amazon though. I have seen them on ebay. I like mine and am glad I have it.

This is a FAR superior idea. Thank you so much . It's perfect!
I found a utube video about using one to trim hair
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhzK19LmGY

Great find :thumbsup:
I'm going to get one.

LongCurlyTress
September 14th, 2015, 08:50 AM
This is a FAR superior idea. Thank you so much . It's perfect!
I found a utube video about using one to trim hair
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhzK19LmGY

Great find :thumbsup:
I'm going to get one.

http://creaproducts.com/store/

I got my Creaclip set of two from their website. It does work, but for curlygirls... be very careful. Even if used when wet and detangled, it will yank out your hair as you pull it down your back. Last time I used it, there was alot of breakage. So it does work, beautifully, I might add, just be careful to use it with very detangled/oiled hair. KK ? :tmi:

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2015, 09:06 AM
KK Thank you. I wondered while looking at it if it would be user friendly or whether it would snag on hair or not. That's why I like using my extra large satin scrunchies. It's not perfect but it works good enough for me:hmm: but oiling hair like you said would make this contraption more precise.
Good info all the same LCT
http://creaproducts.com/store/

I got my Creaclip set of two from their website. It does work, but for curlygirls... be very careful. Even if used when wet and detangled, it will yank out your hair as you pull it down your back. Last time I used it, there was alot of breakage. So it does work, beautifully, I might add, just be careful to use it with very detangled/oiled hair. KK ? :tmi:

LongCurlyTress
September 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM
KK Thank you. I wondered while looking at it if it would be user friendly or whether it would snag on hair or not. That's why I like using my extra large satin scrunchies. It's not perfect but it works good enough for me:hmm: but oiling hair like you said would make this contraption more precise.
Good info all the same LCT

It worked great when my hair was apl length and allowed me to layer into the front and back as it was growing out from my chin length bob. But, all I know is that sadly, my DH was pulling it down my very wet, detangled, oiled very curly 3b hair a few months back in July?? and I heard/felt all this snapping as he gently pulled it down the length on my back. ;( Never again will I use it this way. ;( I was horrified but I insisted that he do this so I can't blame him, although I would like to but nope... he did what I asked him to and kept going when he asked me if he should stop. I said.. no keep going..... GAAAH!!! :taz: