PDA

View Full Version : Does thick hair grow slower?

Kikina
September 13th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I've been told that I have nice thick hair but I'd rather it was longer. I've been trying to grow in for nearly 2 years but it turns out incredibly slow :( Even though I've been dyeing it red (and therefore bleaching it but only the roots) I try to take a lot of care for it for no significant results. On the other hand my friend who has really thin hair managed to grow it from shoulder length to waist for the time I barely grew a couple of inches. She does nothing with her hair but even if she did, it would still grow faster than mine. And yeah...I'm kind of jealous ;) Any advice?

gthlvrmx
September 13th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Are you cutting it at all during that time? Are you heat styling it? How often do you wear it up?

Isilme
September 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM
No, thicker hair does not grow slower than thinner hair. Have you measured your hair? It might be growing but you aren't seeing it yet. Perhaps you also have some damage that makes it break off before it grows as long as you want it to. If you haven't I'd suggest looking into henna, it's perfect if you want a nuclear proof red.

Kikina
September 13th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I had 2 or 3 trims, I stay away even from the usual hair dryer, let alone straighteners and I wear it mostly down. It may be because I have longish back, but so does my friend.

Nique1202
September 13th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I have full iii hair (a 4-inch ponytail circumference) that grows 3/4 of an inch per month, so thick hair absolutely does not grow slower.

I'd say either you're trimming too much or your dye (even though you only do the roots) plus all the daily damage of friction, styling, etc. (do you use a blow dryer on high, or a straightener or curling iron? do you detangle with a wide-toothed comb and your fingers or just with a brush, hauling it through tangles? do you wear tight ponytails? do you move your hair out of the way when putting on clothes/bags/seatbelts?) is causing breakage making it seem like your hair isn't growing as much as it is. There may be things you can cut out or do more gently that will help you to gain more length, you just might need to weigh your priorities (colour vs time saved styling vs length you can achieve).

gthlvrmx
September 13th, 2015, 04:18 PM
No, thicker hair does not grow slower than thinner hair. Have you measured your hair? It might be growing but you aren't seeing it yet. Perhaps you also have some damage that makes it break off before it grows as long as you want it to. If you haven't I'd suggest looking into henna, it's perfect if you want a nuclear proof red.

I had 2 or 3 trims, I stay away even from the usual hair dryer, let alone straighteners and I wear it mostly down. It may be because I have longish back, but so does my friend.

Maybe what Isilme said is what is happening to you. Your hair might be breaking off at around the same rate your hair grows, causing it to look like it is growing slowly. There may be past damage in your hair that hasn't been cut off and it's breaking off now. The only way to get rid of damage though is to cut it off and then try to prevent any more damage. Also, if you wear your hair down more than up in protective updo's, you will have more chances of getting mechanical damage. All the rubbing on clothes, chairs, bags, purses, and other things eventually wear down your hair causing damage. You can trying wearing your hair up in protective updo's like a bun held with a hairstick or spin pin if you don't like the hairtory showing on your head. Henna does a good job in strengthening your hair, that's one of the reasons I use henna.

hennalonghair
September 13th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Yes. Perhaps stop dyeing and bleaching your hair. It's probably not growing that slow but perhaps getting damaged from the ends up.
I've got thick hair and it grows very fast. About 2/3 rds inch a month
A great diet goes a long way ( good protein and lots of green leafy veggies)
Maybe some hair and nails supplements
Lots of water
Nightly scalp massages

Kikina
September 13th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Can you point me some specific foods or supplements to take into consideration?

Isilme
September 13th, 2015, 04:36 PM
All lentils and beans are high in protein, but if you eat a balanced diet I don't think food will have such a great impact. You could whip up some hummus and use it on full grain bread. But honestly I think the bleaching is the culprit.

hennalonghair
September 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Yes! Good protein with every meal.- fish, eggs, fresh range meats, chicken, turkey or vegetarian proteins
Kelp for natural iodine
MSM for sulphur or eat lots of onions & garlic
Take good quality oils - salmon , krill, cod liver etc
If you have a great blender like a blendec or a vitamix or magic then start drinking green smoothies. You add fruit and veggies with ice but you can throw in chia seeds or powdered supplement .
Look up what food products are good for hair and incorporate them into your drink or diet
Vitamin b is extremely helpful for healthy skin and hair , particularly biotin .
Some people take gelatin to help but there are things that really work.
Even food grade diatomaceous earth is great for hair.

spidermom
September 13th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Some hairs grow faster than other hairs. It has nothing to do with thickness.

DreamSheep
September 13th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I think it is independent to thickness too. Mine is quite thick and seems to grow at quite an average pace (not superfast, but certainly not slow).
How much are you doing your roots, that might hint at your true growth rate? I suspect that dying your hair might be the cause behind the lack of apparent growth as it may be breaking off as others have pointed out :)

lapushka
September 14th, 2015, 04:25 AM
The bleaching might be the thing that holds you back here. Bleach is not a damage-free chemical, and it is a chemical after all that you're putting on your roots. Any chance you can give up the bleach and dye?

luxurioushair
September 15th, 2015, 07:37 AM
No! The bleaching and dyeing is slowing down your progress, also there are other factors like your health and fitness and water intake etc. Not the thickness of the hair!

hanne jensen
September 15th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I have ii/iii hair and it grows about 20 cm a year. I'm 56. Bleaching, coloring and perms will make your hair break faster. The more breakage, the less growth.