PDA

View Full Version : Long hair doubts

lapushka
September 13th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely *love* my long hair (classic now). But...

... but ...

Sometimes I wonder, where have all my waves gone? And I wish I had a cute shorter style (BSL or so) where I could still wear my waves out.

I sure as hell am not going to get rid of my classic length, not for a while yet, but sometimes you know, I get these tiny doubts and questions, what would it be like if...

Do you sometimes have doubts, thoughts that you don't act upon, but that are still there once in a while nonetheless.

If so. Share them here! :)

parkmikii
September 13th, 2015, 12:42 PM
I too get these pretty often..sometimes I wish for a bob that I can heat style or for crazy colours as a lot of teenagers have but then I remember the progress I made towards reaching my goal and I just brush those thoughts off :)

Ephemia
September 13th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Yeah, sometimes I wish I didn't have to baby my hair so much, but I love having calf-length hair more. So it's not going anywhere!

Radioduck
September 13th, 2015, 12:50 PM
I sometimes think about cutting my hair short, like a short bob or even shorter. And maybe one day I will because I think it looks really pretty, but I'm certainly not doing it until I've reached my length goal. :)

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2015, 01:06 PM
That very thought came to me recently as I recalled the feeling of APL+ (thick hemline) after cutting my layers from MBL.
But I am so close to goal (weeks), and it is the longest I have EVER had my hair...so I want to experience that fully :cheer:
Plus I was unable to do most buns because of my short torso/shorter length for the landmarks.

In 2016 when I start micro trims to stay between WL/Hip I will play it by ear as to my final maintenance length.

But to go short as in a bob above APL (even above MBL).....NOT gonna happen..... ever again :p

sarahthegemini
September 13th, 2015, 01:15 PM
My hair is nowhere near that long, it's currently between APL and BSL, but even I have doubts! My hair is so fine and fragile that I have to be stupidly careful - a pixie cut would be so easy!

lapushka
September 13th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in this! :)

restless
September 13th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I do get the urge to cut short out of curiousity every now and then. Sometimes when I see a cute bob I wonder what it would look like on me. Last time my hair was short, it was also incredibly damaged and I tried my hardest to tame crazy waves with heat and hairspray back then, so it was flat, lifeless and full of splits. However, this time around it would be healthy and Ive learnt how to work with these wurls, so... yeah, every now and then I do get curious. I have no plans whatsoever on cutting for real though.

Edelweiss
September 13th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I sometimes wish for fancy colors, I love it.
If it did no damage I think my hair color would change every month or so haha
Buuuut I stay reasonable and I'm not dying it :)

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in this! :)

Not at all :wethree:

chen bao jun
September 13th, 2015, 01:33 PM
No, because my hair won't grow long and i've been trying for three years.
I'll be happy to get it to long enough so that I can second guess whether I want it long or not--maybe in three more years I might get to waist?

Lauraes
September 13th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Sometimes I wonder what I would look like with really short hair, because I've never had it. The shortest my hair has ever been is about APL. And sometimes I wish I had the guts to dye all of my hair a bright, unnatural color, but that's probably never going to happen, either. :p

turtlelover
September 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I think I've gotten SHORT hair out of my system for the time being and am not tempted to cut mine except to get rid of more layers, but I ALWAYS want to change the color -- especially to auburn and burgundy!!!!! However, I am not going there again, because the roots show up sooooo quickly with those colors, and I doubt I could even get them w/out dye that uses developer, and I want to stick to semi only coloring.

MINAKO
September 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM
i wanted to cut my hait back to collarbone some time after i joined here (but wasn't active yet). i was actually very determined to have Kiko Mizuhara hair and looking for a stylist i would trust. obviously i didn't and here i am still, with healthy long hair and alot of knowledge gained about it.
now i would love to cut my blunt bags back, but i dont want them to take away from my thickness and also fear that i will be to lazy to style them every day. :shrug:

lapushka
September 13th, 2015, 01:52 PM
No, because my hair won't grow long and i've been trying for three years.
I'll be happy to get it to long enough so that I can second guess whether I want it long or not--maybe in three more years I might get to waist?

It has grown a significant amount, judging from the last thread you posted with your progress. So there is progress! I'm sure you will get to waist, it's just a matter of time!

MINAKO
September 13th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks for reminding me, now i had to check back again, lol!
http://38.media.tumblr.com/13a33f812d70eb29f4cd1a4fdcad7e33/tumblr_mwk140bIg71ry86dpo1_500.gif

I love how this moves and would not get messy or tagly in a million years. Can ride a rollaercoaster with hair like that and all it would take are a few finger strokes to fix it. ...Not yet, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me having to cut back to that length in case anything happens to my hair.

Nique1202
September 13th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Sometimes, I miss being dying my hair wild colours, washing it and throwing some gel on it and finding it dry by the time I got to work even though I had to wash it every other day, and washing my hair in the winter without sitting in the cold and wet of it for four hours or more. I also kind of miss the shape my pixie cut gave my face, I looked elfin/fae and I loved that a lot.

But, I also like only having to wash my hair every 4-6 days, and being able to do lots of very distinct and beautiful styles in it, and I really love the feeling of hair that I grew, all on my own, on my lower back.

Frankenstein
September 13th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Sometimes I have doubts about if my fine hair looks good at very long lengths and if it makes me look "weighed down", so I wonder about cutting to MBL or so. They're just passing thoughts though, and I don't plan on actually doing it.

lauren_alia
September 13th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I am indeed having doubts lately, I might actually act on them though. Mainly because the length is doing nothing for my texture. It seems my curls are easily weighed down. When I leave my hair loose to air dry I have no root curl at this length, so my hair is very flat and pulled basically straight at the roots, the length is wavy, and the last 6 inches or so is spirally curls. I'm not loving the look, lol. I usually wear it up anyway so on a daily basis I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I'd like wearing it down to be an option every now and then. :/ I won't be cutting it any time soon though. My goal was WL by my 30th birthday (next March), and while I have recently hit WL stretched/wet, it is more like MBL dry. I want to see it WL dry, so I think I'll wait until my birthday, and then re-evaluate and maybe cut it back. I'm thinking somewhere between APL and BSL. :)

spidermom
September 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Sometimes I wish I had hair instead of a bun or a braid - loose, flowing hair blowing in the wind.

sumidha
September 13th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Oh yes, every time I see a picture of gorgeously unnatural colored hair I get the itch to bleach and dye. I also get the urge to cut really really short fairly often, but the reality is that both of those things are high maintenance styles, and I have no patience when it comes to upkeep. I would end up with a faded out dyed bleach fried mess, or an awkward mullet grown out pixie cut, so it stays long and low maintenance. :)

Swan Maiden
September 13th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I really loved the androgony of my shaved head, not to mention the complete ease of it. But I don't think I will be doing that any time soon. It took me 7 years to go from shaved to almost classic with trims. I dont have the patience for the grow out again.

Christine_O
September 13th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I bought in to the hair stylists' claims about how short hair would free the natural wave of my hair, and look so cute with my face. The reality is, it never does what I try to make it do anyway, and I really miss my low maintenance, ready to go when I am, braid.
Barring illness, I'm growing it back out for the last time.
:rockerdud:boxer:

Beborani
September 13th, 2015, 03:47 PM
FIf I was a thread starter I would have started one like this now. Approaching classic stretched and feel I am losing my bounciness and ease of weardownability. Looking back at pictures I liked my hair two years ago the best so am considering cutting back about six inches. My thickness has increased considerably at the top but it doesnt show because of wispy ends-- it is not damaged at all but has to go! Whether to do it professionally, by myself or just mimitrims slowly, I have to think over the options.

lapushka
September 13th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I am indeed having doubts lately, I might actually act on them though. Mainly because the length is doing nothing for my texture. It seems my curls are easily weighed down. When I leave my hair loose to air dry I have no root curl at this length, so my hair is very flat and pulled basically straight at the roots, the length is wavy, and the last 6 inches or so is spirally curls. I'm not loving the look, lol. I usually wear it up anyway so on a daily basis I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I'd like wearing it down to be an option every now and then. :/ I won't be cutting it any time soon though. My goal was WL by my 30th birthday (next March), and while I have recently hit WL stretched/wet, it is more like MBL dry. I want to see it WL dry, so I think I'll wait until my birthday, and then re-evaluate and maybe cut it back. I'm thinking somewhere between APL and BSL. :)

I say take a look at our Quixii on here and her curls for some curl inspiration at very long lengths.

Wosie
September 13th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Indeed. My hair was wavier and looked more 'interesting' when it was shorter. I always thought I looked terrible when I had shoulder length hair, but I saw a picture of myself taken two years ago and was pretty amazed at how my hair looked. :D (Maybe I just had a good hair day, who knows? :p)
I like to every now and then tuck my hair underneath my shirts to pretend I have shoulder length hair again. o_O

chen bao jun
September 13th, 2015, 06:56 PM
It has grown a significant amount, judging from the last thread you posted with your progress. So there is progress! I'm sure you will get to waist, it's just a matter of time!

thanks Lapushka.
Patience is needed.
I have had very short hair, once. A pixie. it got very obvious that my face is round. It looked like a pumpkin--we're definitely not going back there. that's the first stage of short for me. the next is triangle head. My hair is just so much better longer, even if its not yet long.
I understnad how you long for variety though Maybe you could try one of those faux bobs and get it out of your system?

Victoria.Nichol
September 13th, 2015, 07:07 PM
My Doubts normally fall into , I doubt my hair will grow that long and I doubt its going to look so good . I also sometime get very annoyed that my hair is stuck in my pit or under my husbands elbow while sleeping, I think its time I start figuring out some hairstyles to wear to bed , im still stuck in "I have short hair' mindset when I guess its not all that short anymore. But its sort of hard to believe. Of course I'm nowhere near goal or most of you long haired lovelies but its really long for me.

Neptune
September 13th, 2015, 08:13 PM
I have moments of weakness sometimes when i have silly "hair fail" moments. like ... getting my hair stuck in the car window/door etc. Or when I'm lying down on my own hair and get stuck!! Lol.

Also I have this crazy urge to dye it midnight blue (when i was younger i did this... it was AWESOME.) But I'm worried about the damage that would cause to my length. So far ... the length is winning this battle :) :)

Finallymajor
September 13th, 2015, 08:34 PM
I have these doubts too but i act on them and end up with a pixie.. and a long grow out. I have realized now that I only like (on me) super long or pixie...no in between.

wool
September 13th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I did and gave in a few months ago, though it was probably for the best. I was at waist length but the ends were a little unhealthly and I was growing out a v shaped hemline but wanted a straight or gentle u, so i cut back to a little above bsl. I hadn't come onto the LHC for a while but decided to look on for henna information and got sucked into the forums and seeing all the beautiful long hair and now I am deciding to grow it out again and am hoping I can persevere and make it as far as hip with a nice straight hemline.

TheLuckyLurker
September 13th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Oh yes. I haven't done anything about it, but I definitely have them.

Loveisaverb
September 13th, 2015, 10:34 PM
I ended up doing a big chop and even waited the two week rule, if anything its always better to do a little trim.
Or even cut back a milestone from like TBL to hip or something, just to see if going short is what you really want or get the impulse out.
Now my doubts have been given into, long hair is for me. :cool:

Echileruwen
September 13th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Before chopping, re-watch The Lord of the Rings and take a look at Galadriel, Arwen, and the other women and see how beautiful their long hair looks. Then put the scissors down, step away from the scissors, take a deep breath, and be glad you didn't give in to the impulse to chop. You've worked too hard to get it to this length. Now go back to the movie. :)

KittyBird
September 14th, 2015, 12:21 AM
I'm tempted to cut shorter, like apl or shoulder, just to see what it's like. I suppose it's because I haven't had that length in years now, and it used to be how I always kept my hair. I wouldn't be able to wear it up though, except for a tiny ponytail stub. Also, triangle head. I would have to thin it out and layer it significantly to make it look nice. Obviously I'm not going to cut that short, but sometimes the thought seems appealing.

I've also been thinking about bangs or face framing layers, because I think it would look nice when I wear my hair up. I constantly have to keep reminding myself that bangs don't really suit me, I'm too lazy to style them and I hate having hair on my face! :p Growing out my bangs was a pain until they got long enough to bun.

*ReiKa*
September 14th, 2015, 01:42 AM
I don't have proper doubts, but sometimes the lenght bothers me cos it's like a shadow: it's constantly with me. I can feel it most of the time and it gets in my way sooo often. Most of the movements I do, my hair will be there.
I wear my hair down 4/5 days a week, so I do *feel* my hair a lot. And yeah, I have these moments where I don't find it pleasant. I just wish it wasn't that long to get in my way so easily. But I love it too much to cut back to waist or whatever.
I never dream of very short hair like a bob. The most I thought of was cutting it 3" or so, but it crosses my mind for a second and it goes away.

Knifegill
September 14th, 2015, 02:13 AM
I can cut any time, but I can't magically grow it right back. I think of every length achievement as unlocking a new level in hair mastery. I'm growing to win!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 14th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Sometimes I have thoughts about cutting it to somewhere between APL and Bsl and letting it flow wildly in the breeze but my more rational self knows that I won't do it. I just think part of me wants to not have to baby it so much all the time and just let it look after itself.

I think most of us "long" hairs would admit to sometimes wishing it was simpler to deal with from time to time.

bte
September 14th, 2015, 04:04 AM
I can truthfully say I've never had doubts, but then I have never managed to grow enough hair for it to be a nuisance. But I think if I achieved ankle, the only thing I would be worrying about is how soon I could get to floor!

dogzdinner
September 14th, 2015, 04:27 AM
yeah, I had doubts about how my layers made my ends look thin so made the 'genius' decision to chop 6ins off!:rolleyes: Ive since realiesed that I cant feel or see much of a difference between before and after and I do regret chopping off so much. I think I'll feel better when Ive regained my length (and now I have learned a valuable lesson too!!LOL).

Stiria
September 14th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I do sometimes wish for shorter hair. A nice bob would look good on me, and then I could bleach the **** out of it. Or I could cut it back to apl or bsl. It would be easier to wear it loose, and I could curl it. That would be awesome. Except... I had a bob, seven years ago, an I hated it! I had to style it, and use product to make it look good. I didn't really know how to care for my hair back then, so I am sure it would be easier today. But still. Too much work. And bleach? No way. I can't stand roots. I would have to bleach my hair every week. Too much work.
Apl/bsl-hair would be lots of fun for a month or so, and then I would be bored. And then I would start growing out my hair again, cursing the day I let scissors touch my hair.

I know some people find that their hair gets more difficult to care for as it grows longer. For me it is not so. It was much more difficult to manage when it was shoulder length than it is now. I love how low maintenance it is.
I am sure I will cut my hair someday, but not in the foreseeable future. I am really enjoying classic, and I want to explore even longer lengths. Midthigh Next! :cheer:

lapushka
September 14th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I understnad how you long for variety though Maybe you could try one of those faux bobs and get it out of your system?

I typically, which is when I posted this thread, get these doubts on "wash day", Sunday. Once the week is started and my hair goes back up into its LWB, those doubts disappear just-like-that. Odd, isn't it. I think it's because I have to wear my hair "out" on Sunday, in order to wash it and let it dry. It half gets in my way and also, I see that the wave pattern suffers a little, which is a little sad. Remind me never to do drastic things on a Sunday. ;)

DreamSheep
September 14th, 2015, 08:15 AM
I love my long hair, but I do miss the super short stuff (pixie-bob).
If I ever cut, I would probably want to experiment more with side shaves / bangs etc and maybe dye a little... I didn't really have the guts when I did have it short, but I'm definitely enjoying the length now so shhh, stop thinking of short hair DreamSheep!

The other thing I miss is the weightlessness and quick drying - but given I'm in the UK now I also know my head and neck would be cold.

So yes, I totally get these doubts, and probably will act on them one day - but not for a few more years :)

Mustang Suzy
September 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Great thread idea Lapushka! I'm creeping up on BSL and yesterday felt wonderful wearing my hair down. However, for decades (college in 1990) I have wanted to do a Grace Jones / Annie Lennox style high and tight. Never had the guts to try it and now that I'm closer to my goal (waist) I don't think I will ever go sooo short.

missblueeyes
September 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I doubt my long-hair-ambition every couple of weeks but then I remember that I had it short four years ago and that I wasn't happy because it didn't suit me at all. Well, it was alright when it was brown but my natural haircolour + short hair just doesn't mix. I'd love to have a haircut like Lily-Rose Depp but I can't pull that off to save my life so the long hair stays. I don't get any hairdye-urges anymore, though. I wish I had natural dark hair but I'd never dye it again because it's just such of a hassle.

redeyedtreefr0g
September 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I do not have long-hair doubts at all. In fact, I was just starting to be happy at the progress I have made back toward classic length (it was underbust length!), when it started falling out like crazy. My husband was complaining at the long hairs getting on him everywhere. We are in a pretty stressful living situation rightnow, so when he asked if would consider cutting it, I said sure. It will grow back, and keeping him happy in the short term is more important.

I hate the length. It falls down to collarbone. It's long enough to be in my way, but not long enough that I can think of cute things to do with it- some of the front won't even stay in a ponytail. The cut itself sort of hurt- the lady pulled outwards with the comb while slooooowly cutting with the scissors. I think that makes it curl under?

Everyone swears its cute.

I have no doubts that I won't be cutting it again, I don't care what's going on. I miss my hair, I want it back. I too love that feeling of the ends brushing the small of my back, or better yet, my butt!

Plus it's still falling out anyway... so I don't really see what got accomplished by cutting. The hairs are still long enough to touch me like spider silk, there, but unable to be found!

I can't decide if the lack of wave I had before when hair was short is due to the current cut, simple changes from aging, or what.

Chromis
September 14th, 2015, 12:32 PM
No doubts here! My hair behaves so badly at very short lengths and I don't feel like there is anything I can't do now that I could before at less extreme longer lengths.

missrandie
September 14th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I hate this in between stage.. but I refuse to go back to my pixie. as easy as it was, I didn't like the way I looked. It really wasn't "me." Long hair in a bun is "me." so for me, there's no doubt.

Linguaphilia
September 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I have doubs too sometimes. Mainly when my hair isn't working with me--I have to remember to be patient and take my time, because my braided bun only needs do be done once and I'm good and pretty for the day... Apart from that I think my ends are too wispy to be really pretty when my hair is loose, so it's a bit like Lapushka says--wear it up and don't have doubts :D

jel
September 14th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I have by now grown past-classic hair two or three times - every time I think it's too unwieldy/heavy and cut it back to hip/BCL. Then I miss my classic length! :D However, because I have done it a couple of times, I know it can (and will) grow to classic again...

The issue I occasionally have real doubts about is bleaching and dying pale blue or pink. I spent the last 5 years growing out henna and bright red dye - it's not all out but my hair colour looks more or less uniform. Thinking about bleaching and colouring my now virgin hair really makes me squirm, but I sometimes do dream about pale pink, shiny locks...

door72067
September 14th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I have no urge to cut, but I do have the urge to color (red) quite often but I won't (virgin, almost waist...ain't gonna happen, Hear me, Me??)

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Rather than doubts I have long hair longings..:) so if anyone wants to trade for a day or 2 we can work it out..:)

NorthernLorelei
September 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
DollyDagger I wish it worked like that! It would be really fun to have curls for a day. :D

I have a funny version of this. I know that I'd HATE shorter hair than I have now, but I get a weird, flirting-with-disaster compulsion to snip of a big chunk whenever scissors are near my hair. Started S&D recently and I have to quickly put the scissors away before I do something stupid. Bad Lorelei! :nono:

DollyDagger
September 14th, 2015, 01:48 PM
DollyDagger I wish it worked like that! It would be really fun to have curls for a day. :D

I have a funny version of this. I know that I'd HATE shorter hair than I have now, but I get a weird, flirting-with-disaster compulsion to snip of a big chunk whenever scissors are near my hair. Started S&D recently and I have to quickly put the scissors away before I do something stupid. Bad Lorelei! :nono:

Yes it would be nice if it did wouldnt it..:)
And bad bad Lorelei..dont you dare do that..step away from the scissors!! :scissors: and :run: far! ...lol

Bunnehlvr22
September 14th, 2015, 11:31 PM
All. The. Time.

Sometimes I just hate having to maintance it. To make sure I treat it well. Make sure I comb it gently. Condition it. I hate dealing with more and more guy attention over. I've found myself thinking more and more of cutting it off short, again, and dye it a crazy color (again).

But you know what? I made a promise that I'd grow my hair to terminal length. And it's one challenge I plan to follow through in my life.

Chocowalnut
September 15th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I get thoughts like that sometimes. Short hair can be really cute. It comes down to how bad you want long hair and what it means to you I think. I've never had hair past mbl and I really want waist+.

cat11
September 15th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Lapushka,

I feel you on the loss of curl and wave. Its still there though, just harder to bring out I think. The weight of my hair has really got in the way of its curl too... After being combed and bunned everyday it only looks slightly wavy which BLOWS my mind. I used to want straight hair so bad tho and hate my frizzy curly mess as I called it when I was younger so I really don't mind it looking like that. It makes it easier to deal with too, than when its weightless. There are a lot of pros to having weighed down curls and you can always induce curl when n you want to by putting in effort and technique since you still hav the hair type for it. Best of both worlds.

Sometimes I have doubt about what length I want to end up at. I plan on growing to classic, evaluating and maintaining at least half a year, then if I want to growing to knee, maintain another year and decide if I want to try for floor. I figure people usually can use some maintaining when they reach knee anyway and I want really blunt ends so I think it'll be beneficial while letting me get used to the length and decide what to do.

meteor
September 15th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Sports definitely give me some doubts: I just can't deny that a pixie is *a lot* more comfortable than long heavy hair for running/jumping/swimming/anything physical.
I think short hair with great cuts (respecting curl patterns/cowlicks/etc) can be truly freeing, wash & go hair, it's almost incredible to see how quickly pixies dry...
My hair takes a day to dry and *a lot* of patience to detangle. :brickwall: The thing that keeps me interested in growing out long hair is that, in the grand scheme of things, all those issues are really minor and I know I would miss my long hair if I lost it. I somehow feel more like myself with longer hair, even though I always keep it out of the way.

Belle Paix
September 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Luckily, I'm just coming off of a pixie cut from one such longing. It was a cut that lasted for five years. Now I just can't wait to get my hair to FTL! Short was fun, but I feel more feminine the longer it gets!

lapushka
September 15th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Lapushka,

I feel you on the loss of curl and wave. Its still there though, just harder to bring out I think. The weight of my hair has really got in the way of its curl too... After being combed and bunned everyday it only looks slightly wavy which BLOWS my mind. I used to want straight hair so bad tho and hate my frizzy curly mess as I called it when I was younger so I really don't mind it looking like that. It makes it easier to deal with too, than when its weightless. There are a lot of pros to having weighed down curls and you can always induce curl when n you want to by putting in effort and technique since you still hav the hair type for it. Best of both worlds.

Sometimes I have doubt about what length I want to end up at. I plan on growing to classic, evaluating and maintaining at least half a year, then if I want to growing to knee, maintain another year and decide if I want to try for floor. I figure people usually can use some maintaining when they reach knee anyway and I want really blunt ends so I think it'll be beneficial while letting me get used to the length and decide what to do.

Yes as a teen, I thought I had straight (but frizzy) hair, imagine! I have a picture from back then with brushed out waves and me in a grown out pixie (oh the fun). You'd think I'd be happy with the weightiness of the waves now, making it straighter, but I guess now is a different time and I really like my wavy hair now. Oh well, I guess you can't have it both. :shrug: ;)

AspenSong
September 15th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I don't have doubts exactly...I like my hair long, I've spent a lot of money on care and pretties to wear in it. I think what I have are more leaning towards regret or just wishes. Sometimes I wish when my hair was shorter I'd done more funky things with it, done ridiculous color combos, etc. And there are times I have a tinge of missing the fact my hair was a bit more bouncy and all that jazz when it was shorter. But overall I'm good with it. Even when I get angry at it or think OMG, I wish it was shorter and I felt okay curling it or some random thing like that, I get over it and realize I'd hate cutting it.

Silverbrumby
September 15th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely *love* my long hair (classic now). But...

... but ...

Sometimes I wonder, where have all my waves gone? And I wish I had a cute shorter style (BSL or so) where I could still wear my waves out.

I sure as hell am not going to get rid of my classic length, not for a while yet, but sometimes you know, I get these tiny doubts and questions, what would it be like if...

Do you sometimes have doubts, thoughts that you don't act upon, but that are still there once in a while nonetheless.

If so. Share them here! :)

Yes. I have lots of doubts. What helps are the occasionally good hair days when I see that my efforts have paid off and I like what I'm seeing. My only thoughts which you know all too well yourself are things like; new hair toys, updos, maybe the occasional gel for waves in the hair, new ways of drying to get more ways? Anyway, I often think of cutting my hair to shoulder where it's all 3 inches and enjoying it. But I can't. Not for now. It's nice to contemplate as I hate being locked into things.

Magalo
September 15th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I often think about getting a collarbone length blunt cut. When my hair was short (apl-bsl) it was very layered and tapered so l never had a short, blunt and bouncy cut. One day maybe. :)

Monkshood
September 15th, 2015, 10:54 PM
I've actually been fantasizing about cutting back to collarbone recently. I discovered legit ringlets in my underlayer and I've been wondering if I might be able to coax actual curls or more defined waves out of the bulk of it if it wasn't weighed down by the length. If I knew for sure that I could, I would probably do it!

syndel
September 16th, 2015, 07:01 AM
I've always had long-ish hair. Even at my shortest I always hovered just past shoulder length. So I've often wondered if I could ever rock a killer choppy bob, maybe dye all kinds of crazy colours and the like because I've never indulged in that life. But I'll never have the guts to go through with it. I love my long hair too much. :)

lapushka
September 16th, 2015, 07:09 AM
I've actually been fantasizing about cutting back to collarbone recently. I discovered legit ringlets in my underlayer and I've been wondering if I might be able to coax actual curls or more defined waves out of the bulk of it if it wasn't weighed down by the length. If I knew for sure that I could, I would probably do it!

Maybe it's the length that brings 'em out. I'd hate having it cut only to find *that* out. :shocked:

Monkshood
September 16th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Indeed! My hair has always just been terrible at shorter lengths and I used to straighten it to get rid of all the kinks/half-formed waves that drove me nuts. I wish I could find out somehow how it would look with proper care, though, because my routine was truly abysmal back then.

DarthCynthia
September 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I've been maintaining at my long-time goal of ankle for a while now and I'm currently going through a really bad craving of "want that waist/slightly longer than waist, layered, gimme the curlingiron etc" change. I've kept photos of the hairstyle, styling tips, and similar in a folder over the years and always look over it every time I get those cravings. It's currently one of the worst I've had in a long time. And it's not just about "well, cut back to knee or classic"... I want big change. I will always want "long" hair, and I'm pleased I've managed to make it to my goal (I'm pretty tall), but yeah. It's not easy to just decide like that. I spent many many years getting here and one time before joining this forum I had cut from tailbone or hip to shoulder (that was definitely not me, I don't like my hair shorter than waist), I instantly regretted it and started growing it right back out.

I'm giving myself some time to ponder it and see if I truly am ready to do something else. But yeah, those cravings hit from time to time, and I have to heavily consider pro's and con's and what it is I really am wanting or if there is something else that will change my mood (not even related to hair... sometimes I just plainly put, crave change or control over something else and it sours my mood in many areas).

(edited because one of my words got turned into an ad link and I don't want anyone to think I actually linked that... I didn't. I added no links.)

Five of Five
September 17th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I'm definitely not so hard-line about long hair now that my original goal (classic) is within my grasp in the near future.

I consider that to be a good thing. Now, if I have a mishap at the salon, or have to cut for some other reason, it would feel more like a change in style than a great loss. For me, long hair is timeless and elegant, whereas short hair seems more girly and fun-loving.

Sometimes I am really tempted to make the trade, as short hair for me was even lower maintenance than long hair. I loved the fact that with my hair type, it only needed a quick finger comb to look as good as new, even on the windiest of days outside! However, because my hair is so floaty and quite thick, it is really difficult to wear down at about shoulder - APL, and thus if I went short, it would have to be very short indeed :p

Doreen
September 17th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Lately I have been feeling this way and reevaluating my hair goals. I miss being able to wear it down like I did from TBL-CL. There is not much to do with knee length hair, I think, and I am definitely in a rut. Once I reach my big goal of floor-length, I think I'll stay there for a little while but ultimately go back to CL.

Caraid♫
September 18th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I often had long hair doubts- enough to make me eventually cut off from tbl back to bsl!!
I would often wondered if I was fooling myself into thinking it looked good (particularly when down). I also had these fears that I was starting to look "strange" and felt it was harder to look "fashionable" with such a unique (among not lhc peops) length of hair.
Before anyone gets offended that I called long hair strange and unfashionable, just know that I am currently growing it back out, so I obviously now feel my doubts were unfounded!!
It was a few months ago that I chopped. I had no regrets at first, but just yesterday I was looking at pictures of my hair at it's longest and felt very... wistful. :(

My new length is certainly easier to wear down- it looks fine without having to brush it ten times a day! And it holds curls! But I'm starting to wish the doubts hadn't gotten the better of me. My hair was in good condition and I was going to go for classic after tbl!!

lapushka
September 18th, 2015, 08:16 AM
It'll for sure grow back, Caraid! And these doubts can be tough, persistent, and nagging. I know.

kjirstiben
September 18th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Interesting... a couple years ago I gave in to the temptation to cut... I was at just about classic length, but with major taper & fairytaleing and henna grown out to BSL, and it had been years since I felt like I could wear my hair down without looking freakish / tangling like crazy / having the hair get into everything. Plus I loved the length of the Katniss braid in The Hunger Games movie and wanted to be able to wear it... without an additional foot of skinny braid dangling below it.

So I cut to mid-back, an inch or two above waist. And it was a nice change -- I could wear it down, my curls sprung back into existence with less weight pulling them down, my braid was a nice length and I had a thicker hemline for the first time that I could remember, and all but an inch or so of the henna was gone... And I enjoyed it, even cutting in "long bangs" around chin length (again Katniss style) and experimenting with a layer to lighten up the curls when it started to grow out again (which was a failure and the one part of this experiment that I regret -- thankfully it wasn't a very thick layer and now that it's all TBL it doesn't really show up anymore).

Sometime in the last year or so, I realized I'd had my fun with wearing my hair loose, and wearing braids down, and I wanted to go back to growing it out again. What's so nice is that I'm back to the length that I was when I started getting kind of "twitchy" about the long hair, and this time it isn't a problem at all. It's possible that by giving myself a couple years off from the great hair-growing experiment, I reinvigorated my interest in my hair goals! (also, all the pretty styles in Game of Thrones have given me new ideas about how to put my hair up)

Anyway, I get it -- I've been there -- and I came out on the other side of it, yes, set back by a few years, but also with greater peace of mind and dedication to my hair goals. And it's quite possible that I spared myself doing the same thing later, losing more years of growth in the process.

And one thing that's nice is that I can appreciate some of the mini-milestones that I only noticed because of losing them when I chopped... things like being able to wrap my braid all the way around my head (can't wear it like that yet, because of taper, sadly), and my hair reaching the bottom edge of the t-shirt I wrap around it to dry it (the wispy ends dangled a few inches below it before my chop). And I'm back to my natural color -- and texture -- completely, which has been a nice change. All in all, I think it was probably worth it, even if it'll take me another 6 months to a year to get back to where I was. (so probably about 3-4 years total since the chop)

Here's a few pictures (best I could do; apparently I never bothered to take a length photo when my hair was at its longest, so this one isn't optimal, but it should give a feel for the length I was dealing with):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0s9xVOpn5Zw/Vfw-2HcnqAI/AAAAAAAARp4/mpjr5tdSLwI/s720-Ic42/2013_Hair_Chop_text.png

ravenreed
September 18th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I miss wearing my hair down. However, the length at which I could easily do that every day, waist, would mean getting rid of most of my nifty hair accessories that I have bought over the years. It would also mean giving up crown braids and most of the buns I can do now. At that length I think I was mostly able to do a LWB and not much else.

lapushka
September 18th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Here's a few pictures (best I could do; apparently I never bothered to take a length photo when my hair was at its longest, so this one isn't optimal, but it should give a feel for the length I was dealing with):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0s9xVOpn5Zw/Vfw-2HcnqAI/AAAAAAAARp4/mpjr5tdSLwI/s720-Ic42/2013_Hair_Chop_text.png

Very pretty. I like your shade of blonde! And your waves are so nice as well! :D

Alastríona
September 26th, 2015, 12:04 AM
I cut my TBL hair 10 years ago to a ... long bob? Immediately hated the fact that I could do nothing to cool my ears or neck when it was hot ie putting it up. Grew it until I could put it up, at which point the original cut was no longer cute. Fine. :-)
Now I've maintained "long" hair (below shoulders) for some years and I want ACTUALLY long hair because the people who tell me 'your hair is so long' have no idea what they are talking about! So, it's a cycle. Luckily, touching wood that something doesn't prevent it (like chemo, illness, or a small child with scissors), it's a fairly forgiving cycle :-)