PDA

View Full Version : Overtone: Pre-mixed Deposit Only Dye/Conditioner Combo Thing?

sumidha
September 13th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Sooo, a link to this stuff popped up on my FB feed today, and I thought I'd throw it out there as another option for those who like the crazy colors. Here's a link straight to their FAQ page:http://overtone.co/pages/faqs

I haven't used it or heard of it until today, and my initial reaction after browsing through their website is that I might be a cheapskate, because I could get the same amount of Manic Panic (which is pretty darn conditioning) for about the same price as their strongest dye/conditioner combo... But you never know, maybe this is the answer to someone's prayer, so I thought I'd share it here. :cool:

Freija
September 13th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Looks interesting. They are taking customers for a ride with their FAQs, though, and with their explanation as to why their product is better than mixing deposit-only dye with conditioner. So much nonsense about pH incompatibility between deposit-only dyes and standalone conditioners! I mean, I have never had an uneven result with a mixture on my own hair, for this reason or any other. Most haircare products are around roughly the same pH of 5-6 anyway, and even if there were a difference in pH between the dye and conditioner, the mixture would just settle out somewhere in the middle with no problems.

Even worse is their downright lie about there being drying alcohols in everyone else's deposit-only dyes, which cause damage when used regularly, while of course, Overtone doesn't contain this. Um, except that no deposit-only dye I've ever used - Manic Panic, Adore, Directions, Crazy Colour - has ever contained drying alcohols (like isopropyl or benzyl alcohol), only the exact same moisturising, fatty alcohols that are in pretty much all conditioners (like cetearyl or cetyl alcohol). These smooth the cuticle down and help give shine and slip, they do not help the dye to work by 'lifting the cuticle up' - and guess what, they are some of the biggest ingredients in Overtone's products, too.

So, they look nice enough, but I probably won't touch them myself because I really don't appreciate being patronised or misled. : p