PDA

View Full Version : Hair Morph

frodolaughs
October 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Joining LHC has inspired me to look at my hair more closely. I've always had stick-straight hair, but I've realized that for quite awhile I've been attributing curls to braid and bun waves, even though they're there when my hair has just been washed and allowed to air dry. I've updated my hair profile type to 1b, although I might actually be a 1c at this point. When I was a kid my mom had straight hair. Now she's got ringlets. I've always really liked my hair and this will take some getting used to, both in how it looks and in how it 'handles.' I could use some encouragement. This is as disconcerting as looking in the mirror one morning and discovering that my eyes had turned blue. Is this something that has happened to other people as they've gotten older or am I just really, really weird? And what should I do now?

burns_erin
October 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I am sorry you are so disconcerted, can't say it has happened to me but I wish you luck in adjusting to the change. Personally I would kill for my hair to develop some body.

Arctic
October 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM
This happened to me when I joined, I'll post longer post later as I'm bit in hurry now :) You're not alone!

heidihug
October 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I had very straight hair when I was younger. Now I have just the slightest of waves (with perhaps an 8" repeating wave pattern), only noticable when I wash and leave to air dry during the day. It disappears when I brush out for styling or if I sleep on it. My Mom and Dad always have had slightly wavy hair, tending towards curls now that they are in their 60's. My older sister still has quite straight hair, though, with perhaps a hint of a wave at just below shoulder length.

Hypnotica
October 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I have a patch with quite wavy hair on my left temple, the rest of it have like two faint waves.

Very odd indeed.

Amoretti
October 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I had straight hair as a child. In my late twenties it started getting wavy in weird sections starting at the back of my head. They extended to my whole head over the course of 10 years and I ended up with 2a hair. It's weird but I'm very happy about it. No more perms! :D

spidermom
October 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Through most of my life, my hair was probably 1B-1C. It got wavier through my 40s to the point of developing a few spirals. It happened gradually enough that I was never aware of making adjustments in care or styling.

Katze
October 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I always thought of myself as a straightie (straight hair as a kid) and could never figure out why my hair, since adolescence, "flipped out" at the ends.

Now that it is longer, I have nice lazy spirals at the ends and defined waves throughout the length. They change every day, so I can never rely on my hair looking the same, and quite honestly it very often looks just awful.

As long as your morph isn't affecting other things, you can just go right ahead and enjoy it. Long wavy hair is "in" right now anyway. :)

welcome here!

Tami86
October 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Happened to me. Not sure if its me getting older (I'm only 21) so my hair can't have changed that much.. After joining LHC I changed my routine as well.. and my hair is now wavier.. the waves look more natural than my hair ever did before (when i was mistreating it) Its almost like the real texture of my hair is coming out and I'm loving it! :inlove: I used to always blowdry my hair (not with a brush) but for it to dry faster and look presentable :p but now without blowrying and I've never felt more confident or breautiful :)

It might take you some time to get used to but think about it this way, your hair is not being mistreated now in anyway so its gaining more confidence and its real personality is starting to shine ^_^ (sounds cheesy, but it makes sense) Hopefully in time you'll get used to it ..

Periwinkle
October 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
When I was very little (about 5 or so), my hair was as straight as a ruler and insanely thick.

I don't have many pictures of me, but all of a sudden, at my 8th birthday party, it was reeeallllly thin (I remember wearing it up in crocodile clips then) and maybe a 1b. I also looked like an anorexic stick in those pictures...I have no idea how that happened, but anyway, that's off topic.

Now (I'm 15) my hair is very flicky at the ends and a bit wavy everywhere else. Everything from just below my shoulders down is ends, though, because of my layers, so I'm a 2a/2b because there's so much wave. And my hair is insanely thick now, too...I used to wear claw clips with ease but now I can't even fit them round my hair, never mind when it's up!

SHELIAANN1969
October 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I think of lot of "hair change" comes from what we do or don't do to our hair anymore.

I used to comb and brush the living daylights out of my hair, I knew my hair had "body" but did not know my hair was curly untill I stepped away from all the brushing and combing.

I also do a lot of CO now instead of washing my hair every day, sometimes twice a day! (I know ack!)

My hair is really different, I used to gel it all down, comb it, brush it, and wash it within an inch of its life, I am surprised it even grew at all.

I don't think your hair has changed "per se", maybe you are just doing, or rather NOT doing certain things to it anymore?

RocketDog
October 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
My hair went from stick-straight as a pre-adolescent to the crazy combo of spirals and waves that I have now as a young adult. When I leave my hair loose to air-dry, I get tight curls all around my hairline that I have to finger-comb to relax, and a slightly looser wave/curl through the crown of my head. Once I get more length, I know it will look better, but right now it looks a mess unless I wear it up or do rag braids to make the texture more uniform.

I know a lot of people whose hair texture has changed during adolescence, so maybe you're just going through a similar change, albeit a bit later?

Arctic
October 8th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I used to thought I had stick straight hair, but in retrospect I think it was 1b because the ends flipped. Anyway, when I joined here a little over year ago my hair went through a stunning change, I started to have waves. You can read about it on my old blog posts if you want. It was really interesting, I had worked hard to learn to love my straight hair and suddenly I had a complitely different hair! Being member here has helped me accept the wavyness and embrace it, and even love it! It didn't happend overnight though.

One thing that might help you getting used to your waves is to trying to make most of them :) Wavy hair often strives with moisture. I think it was the more moisture-friendly hair care routine that I started to practice that actually brought out the waves for me.

There are a fantastic series of threads titled Wavy women, started by Ursula, there are at least 2 of these threads at the archived old forums and one active thread here on this new forum, reading through these threads has been huge help for me!

maliha
October 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
When i was small my hair was thick more wavy but now in my twenties it has turned more sleek , thin and less wavy though ,, It just had to do sumthing with the way we handle our hair,,,

Katahdin
October 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
My hair used to be very very this when I was young, but now it's closer to thick. Still very straight though.

I also agree with Sheliaann, I've noticed a few changes in my hair since finding LHC :)

Delila
October 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I didn't realize that I had wavy hair until I read Andre Talks Hair (http://www.amazon.com/ANDRE-TALKS-HAIR-Andre-Walker/dp/068483880X/ref=ed_oe_p).

Back then, though, I still blow dried my hair every day, so I didn't realize how much better it would behave if I'd just let it dry on its' own.

Since deciding to let my hair grow out and giving up the blowdryer, I've been much happier with my hair.

My hair doesn't have body, just a bit of wave that comes and goes, depending on how it's handled. If I blow it dry, it just goes flat and looks limp, so I think that's why it took me so long to realize just how much wave my hair has (especially in the cowlicks up front.).

At longer lengths, I find it does best if the length gets plenty of moisturizing conditioners, but I have to be careful not to over condition the scalp. (A catnip rinse gives me just enough at the top of my hair, and I add a richer conditioner at the ends.)

PeaceWithTrees
October 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
My hair isnt straight, but i definatly experienced texture changes as I entered adolescence. When I was little. My hair was naturally healthy. The texture was a little more relaxed than it is now. As i grew older and my body started produceing more hormones, My hair started to become dry, and then pretty much all of it broke off over a few years time.

My mother's hair was the same way too, however now, after she entered menopause, her hair grew much longer than usuall.

I think changes in hair texture are brought about with the change of our bodies the hormones we produce.

melikai
October 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
My mother had stick-straight hair until her first pregnancy, when it suddenly became very wavy, so I agree that it has to do with hormonal changes.

I also think that it may be the routine we follow. My hair seems to be slightly wavier the more the highlighted ends grow out, and now that I don't ever use a blowdryer. I had my hair very long when I was about 18, and it was still very straight (barely 1b), so I'm interested to see what it will be like now. I would also be very disconcerted if it was suddenly curly, mostly because I associate straight hair with myself much much more than curly. But I'd adjust. It's not as if our personalities don't ever go through changes either! ;)

Arctic_Mama
October 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
My hair type has gotten more wavy as I have gotten older, it seems, but its hard to tell. I know the texture changed drastically after I had my first daughter, the new growth felt very different than the stuff I had - smoother. But it definitely seems to want to curl more than it did when I was younger.

Te Atawhai
October 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Welll now, here I was thinking I was going mad. I have had exactly the same issue. I think I need to get a photo of my hair and get some help to type it. I thought it had wave, quite a strong wave actually, but since being a member here and taking on quite a bit of the advice on offer my hair has changed heaps! I now have very curly hair, not wavy,not wurly but curly!

I am using no 'cone s&c, coconut oil on damp hair as a leave in and weekly shea butter yumminess. (My hair wants to marry shea butter!) It took about a month of this, and bam! Curls!

GlennaGirl
October 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I had the opposite. I went from wavy to straight! No biggie. You get used to it. Enjoy your waves!

Chanterelle
October 9th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Happened to me. When I was an adolescent my hair was stick-straight and later it gradually morphed into wavy with curly ends. I didn't change anything in my haircare routine that could cause it.

ale
October 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Here, here! I always thought I was a 1a when I was younger, now I discovered all those waves and I love them! You know, unless you're more vavy or curly, you can't notice the waves with short or shortish hair; when you grow longer, hair can freely express their real nature - it's one of the exciting feelings growing long hair gives, embrace it!

frodolaughs
October 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It's reassuring to see that lots of people's hair just changes over time from one type to another, for no clearly discernible reason. I'd have thought the changes I saw in my hair were the result of improved care, but when I joined I read an article recommending taking time before changing hair routines, so for most of the last month I've just been reading the comments and paying attention to my hair, rather than diving in to the endless sea of experiments. I think my hair is generally healthy. Frizziness that's been bothering me for awhile might just be waves trying to assert themselves. I do have split ends & would like to work on reducing those, but from visiting here I think my habits are okay--no blowdrying, gentle washing & handling, hair generally up during the day & braided at night. Now I'm cautiously starting to try things out (first new addition to my fairly simple routine: coconut oil).
Thanks Again!

happymommy
October 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not alone!!!!!! I just, in the last 30 seconds or so discovered the exact same thing! I'm...just...wow! Lol, my whole hair life has been a lie :D

I'm so excited :D

Indigosails
October 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
It is interesting to read about all the changes from straight to wavy or curly or the other way around. My hair began getting waves in my mid 40's, but they were about 2 to 3 inches from the roots. My hair was short then. Now there are even more waves. I'm still new here and absorbing all of the information----well, maybe not absorbing, but wading in. There is so much to learn. I'm already thinking of changes to make.