PDA

View Full Version : Semi permanent for grey roots

Fru fru
September 12th, 2015, 11:31 AM
I have decided I've had enough of the roots every other week. I've been hennaing since 2008 and gradually my hair has gone grey.

Im not sure how grey it is but I think it's fairly grey. I'm 40 and not ready to go grey but the whole hennaing process is a lot of work. I wouldn't mind but I either have to put some indigo on the roots after or live with roots that are pretty bright in the sun. My other concern is I don't want to have to start removing henna later in life.

What I would like is something easy that washes in and out and doesn't damage my hair, does such a thing exist. I also want it to gradually get lighter so that it's not too dark for my face.

Here are a couple of really bad photos of me so you can see what sort of colour change would work.
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u556/suzehaylett/0D52D602-46B7-4C2B-9071-2D76099FA4C6_zpsc4vb4lo5.jpg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/suzehaylett/media/0D52D602-46B7-4C2B-9071-2D76099FA4C6_zpsc4vb4lo5.jpg.html)
http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u556/suzehaylett/CEB7BC6D-7773-41B4-B18D-29AD46D57112_zpss9kf8ar3.jpg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/suzehaylett/media/CEB7BC6D-7773-41B4-B18D-29AD46D57112_zpss9kf8ar3.jpg.html)
I may remove these later as I'm shy!

DollyDagger
September 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
you're gorgeous!! :) !

Clairol Beautiful Browns from Sallys might be an option. A few members on the renegray thread have used it recently.
Maybe theyll see this and chime in :)
Good Luck

Fru fru
September 12th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Thank you and thanks for the compliment :flowers: off to look those up!

Robot Ninja
September 12th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Ion from Sally's and Adore make semi-permanent, deposit-only dyes in hair-colored colors. They wouldn't be damaging, and will wash out eventually, although I've never used them so I can't tell you how long they'd take to fade.

Fru fru
September 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks robot ninja, I have just ordered the clairol one mentioned by dollydagger and I'm going to give that a try. I tried creative images once and I got purple roots :o

It would be nice to use something that I can just stop using when I decide to let the grey come through and it'll just wash out. Not sure if this is a bit of a dream though!

DollyDagger
September 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks robot ninja, I have just ordered the clairol one mentioned by dollydagger and I'm going to give that a try. I tried creative images once and I got purple roots :o

It would be nice to use something that I can just stop using when I decide to let the grey come through and it'll just wash out. Not sure if this is a bit of a dream though!

Thats good fru fru...post back about how it works for you k ..:flower:

Fru fru
September 12th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Thank you, I will :) I ordered darkest brown and maybe I can gradually go lighter.

turtlelover
September 12th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I am using Clairol Professional Advanced Gray Solutions. Most semis don't last long enough on my hair to be worth the effort, but this one seems to last more like a demi for me, AND it doesn't use developer. I really like it so far! Anything w/ peroxide in it will cause more damage eventually, I think, though a 10 volume demi is a LOT less damaging than higher volume developers w/ permanent dyes. I stopped using my demi recently, and the Clairol semi stuff for gray hair is what I am using to blend in the roots. I am not ready to go gray yet, but want the gray hairs to be colored enough to look like highlights, which is what this stuff is doing for me.

DollyDagger
September 12th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Yay turtlelover! :) was hoping you'd chime in!

Fru fru
September 13th, 2015, 01:33 AM
I am using Clairol Professional Advanced Gray Solutions. Most semis don't last long enough on my hair to be worth the effort, but this one seems to last more like a demi for me, AND it doesn't use developer. I really like it so far! Anything w/ peroxide in it will cause more damage eventually, I think, though a 10 volume demi is a LOT less damaging than higher volume developers w/ permanent dyes. I stopped using my demi recently, and the Clairol semi stuff for gray hair is what I am using to blend in the roots. I am not ready to go gray yet, but want the gray hairs to be colored enough to look like highlights, which is what this stuff is doing for me.
I ordered that one first then read that people were having an allergic reaction to an ingredient in it so I cancelled and ordered the regular one. If that doesn't work for me I may brave it.

Fru fru
September 19th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I received my bottle of semi permanent and now I'm feeling a bit nervous. My overall goal is to have a more natural looking colour so that when I decide to go grey I can do it without the skunk look.

I've been hennaing for years and love the conditioning effect so I'm wondering if anyone has had any damage from these types of dyes before. I used creative images without any damage in the past but got some purple roots.

DollyDagger
September 19th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Hi fru fru..are you planning on applying it just on the roots or allover? Maybe you could do a test just on an inconspicuous area of your roots at the back or side or something.
I've been reading reviews as I'm sure you have too and I can't really find one that speaks about any damage incurred.
Wish I could be of more help..hope it goes well if you decide to proceed!!

Fru fru
September 20th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks dollydagger :) I dyed all of my hair with the clairol and it looks quite nice and not damaged at all.

I don't have any grey at the moment because I hennaed last week, it has evened out the colour on my roots though so they're not bright orange now. I'll do it again when the grey starts coming through and see how it covers them.

Thanks for all the advice :flower:

DollyDagger
September 20th, 2015, 08:45 PM
:) I'm glad it worked out for you!