PDA

View Full Version : Cutting from Classic to Tailbone. Thoughts and advice please

Isilme
September 11th, 2015, 08:11 AM
So, I have decided that I would like my hair to be shorter. It has been long for many years and I thought I wanted classic length but now that I'm here it is more of a hassle. I can't wear it down and it gets tangled easily. I want to cut back to tailbone and maybe have some long layers cut in.
Recently I have looked at "Hollywood hair" with which I mean long shiny and curly, since my hair is hennaed and only wavy by nature I realize that I would have to do pincurls or use a curling iron sometimes. When it has dried without being combed it forms loose s-waves which unfortunately are easily combed or brushed out. I remember having some awesome curls when it was shorter and had dried in a cinnamon bun.
I want to ask for your input and maybe some of you have done something similar? Old styles you miss or new ones you enjoy? Do you find it easier to wear down? And of course I'm going to a good stylist, either my old and trusted one or a new salon which has fantastic reviews.

LongCurlyTress
September 11th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Hi Isilme! First of all, congrats on growing to classic!! I have been in the 33/34 inch length for awhile and am having trouble reaching tbl which is 37 inches on me. I totally "get" the difficulties you are having with longer lengths as this is my first adventure at 33/34 inches and I can totally see the increased tangling at this length. That being said, I love how my hair wraps around my back when washing, so I guess tbl is a wonderful length that gives you the feeling of feminity, but easier to maintain then longer lengths, especially if you want to wear it down. Classic is a gorgeous length that makes a "statement" but hair health and your sanity are more important imo. ;) Well, these are my two cents that I thought I would toss out to you. Good luck! Your hair is very pretty in your siggy pic....

MINAKO
September 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I would try long layers at classic first if it bothers you right now. The longest layer isnt that much hair to deal with anyways.
I dunno, mine got alot less tangly the longer it grew, butalso due to treatments and improved condition, so i don't have any problems there. For myself i wouldnt sacrifice the simplicity of an outgrown blunt hemline at classic cause i like it for my updos.
I find hollywood hair not really a realistic inspiration to look at for an everyday style. Kepp that in mind unless you have the time and patience to properly style your hair to get the most out of that cut.

Frankenstein
September 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I cut from classic to tailbone back in the spring. It wasn't a huge difference and I got used to it quickly. I guess it was a little easier to wear down but there were still moments when it seemed like I was sitting on it and it rubbed chairs, etc. So I made the leap to hip a few months later, which I personally find a lot easier to deal with. I say go for it and if you don't like it for some reason, it will grow back :)

meteor
September 11th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Hi Isilme! :) First of all, congratulations on such beautiful length! :flowers:
I don't know about length and can't make any recommendations there - because it's all about personal preference, of course. I find that tailbone and classic lengths both look very long and beautiful, I'd just go with the length that makes you feel more like "you" and more enjoyable for you. :flower:
(Personally, I did get that much (technically, a bit more) cut off many years ago, and others didn't even notice a difference: it was called "a small trim" even though I lost over 10'', because the hair still appeared long to others.)

But about curls, I would not recommend pin-curls at this length: they can seriously tangle up long and thick hair (e.g. torrinpaige's experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV6DIWc0qj4). I think they are meant for short or medium hair.
If you want curls, I'd go for velco-free roller-sets: magnetic or satin foam rollers, rag curls, flexi-rods, curl-formers, bun formers... something that will be easy to unravel later. Layering can help natural texture to appear wavier and the curls to hold better by making the mane lighter. Realistically, heavy straightish blunt-cut hair may not hold a curl very well for too long, but the ends can still be curled nicely, especially if you use some product (conditioner, gel...). :D

lapushka
September 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I'm with MINAKO. I'd keep it at classic for a while, and have some layers cut into it - huge difference right there! If that is still too long and heavy, you can always have a regular trim later.

LadyLongLocks
September 11th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Once you are at classic you sit on it all the time which I remember to be very annoying.At that point I wore it up or braided all the time. I would cut it back to tailbone and did this for years. Hopefully you just trim it to tailbone without layers. Layers are a pain to grow out again.Good luck and post pictures :)

Night_Kitten
September 12th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I trimmed/cut from almost mid-thigh to tailbone at the beginning of the year (no layers, straight across cut), it took some getting used to and felt short every time I combed or handled it... I missed my length, and running out of hair in a single stroke when combing felt really weird... The ends looked great at least, lol :)
In my case I wasn't at all happy to loose the length though, it was more of a necessary temporary set back in favor of healthier and better looking ends, so you might not experience the same things I did :)
All my buns still worked the same as before and I didn't have to change anything in my care routine so you shouldn't have problems in the updo section :)

Isilme
September 12th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Thank you all for your input! Perhaps I'll just go back to the old deep u-shaped hemline I had before I grew to classic. But I'm quite sure it will end up at tailbone anyway, layers or no layers. I know Hollywood hair is not something I can have every day, my go to hairstyle would be some kind of bun like it is now. But it would be nice to have the option to get the big bouncy sleek curls now and then. The only time I might miss the length in the future could be the faux crown braid, but it can be done with two braids instead of one.
I have been looking at doing something semi drastic with my hair for a long time so I guess I'd just have to decide on a stylist.