PDA

View Full Version : Advice from brides who chose a salon/heat-style updo?

OleanderTime
September 10th, 2015, 10:53 PM
I need some advice. Or maybe just consolation or reassurance. I'm getting married in early January (yay!), but my hair is causing me stress. I have chosen to get a salon updo by a well-regarded pro team of people who do wedding styles for a living. I love the look. They'll be using heat and product, but absolutely no teasing/back-combing. I have only used heat on my hair once in 4 years (bonnet dryer in rollers for my birthday). I am just nervous it is going to permanently ruin all the hair on my head and seriously set me back.

My hair is healthy and strong now, and I don't want to regret this. It's just one day (two, if I opt for a trial). The salon respects my wishes, but advised me that by not using teasing and such I am sacrificing volume and stay-put-ability. I know this, but I wish they could have been more excited or encouraging about my choices. Yes, I've looked around and they're my favorite. It's just as if no careful longhairs ever go to salons or get pro wedding updos. :tmi: In order to achieve the look I want, they said they want to use a curling iron with heat protectant spray. Blah, this sounds so typical of most women out there but I am so nervous.

Console me. Encourage me. REASSURE me, please! Don't encourage no-heat or DIY options. I do a great job on my own hair for OTHER people's weddings and know my skill level won't accomplish what I want for my wedding. And I am choosing hair up because it looks most formal on me and my dress has a back I want to show.

How did you make your choice? If it was difficult, how did you make peace with it? Has your hair permanently suffered? Did you love your wedding day style, and was it worth it?

maria_asa
September 10th, 2015, 11:44 PM
First off, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I ended up doing my own hair for my wedding because I never managed to find a stylist who could manage hair my length and not teas/back-comb. That being said I don't think you'll have to worry. This is a one time (or at the most two times) experience for your hair and even though heat styling is damaging I very much doubt one or two times will cause enough damage to be a problem. When testing styles for my own wedding I did use a curling iron with heat protectant a couple of times (I ended up choosing a style that didn't require it though) and I saw no ill effects and my hair is very prone to damage.

If you're worried try to put some time of before and after the big day for some extra deep conditioning sessions and I'm sure it'll be fine.

KittyBird
September 11th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Now, I've never been married, but I thought I might be able to reassure you a bit. I'm an occasional heat styler and I use a curling wand and hairspray on my hair maybe once or twice a month, sometimes more. I haven't noticed any damage on my hair, no white dots or breakage, and I've been doing this for several months now. You might get some damage, but I don't think heat styling once or twice will ruin your hair. Baby it afterwards and do a deep treatment/SMT, and I think you should be fine. :)

stachelbeere
September 11th, 2015, 12:59 AM
congratulations on your wedding! :)
I'm not married but in 2011 I used a curling iron for a year and curled my hair pretty much every day - my hair was cut into a bob back then. I ditched the heat at some point (I had no idea heat caused damage :shrug: until I learned otherwise on the Internet) and right now my hair is at MBL (it grows slowly). I've got some breakage going on - but I used heat pretty much every. single. day. You can have a look on my anniversary thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133920) and see what it looks like now.

I think that one or two times will be totally okay, like the others said. It's a small price to pay for how it will make you feel on your wedding day :)

MINAKO
September 11th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Congratulations on your wedding! :)
Uhm, to put it bluntly: chill yo'self anout that little bit of styling done to your hair and enjoy being pretty.
I wish this wouldn't be blown out of proportion so many times. A blowdry or some heated roller once in a while won't kill anybody, neither cause setback.

Nique1202
September 11th, 2015, 05:30 AM
I'm not married, but as long as your hair is fully dry before any straighteners or curling irons hit it, the damage will be at a minimum. One day of heat styling shouldn't set you back as long as you take precautions, and I'm sure if these stylists are as good as you say they are then they will.

two_wheels
September 11th, 2015, 05:39 AM
I straightened my hair for my wedding because I was in the middle of an awkward pixie grow out (yay).

Hair was absolutely ok afterwards - and it doesn't like heat, it was frazzled when I went through a 3-6 month phase of blowdrying and straightening it every few days. But that one time? No problem. If it's baby fine I guess that one time could wreck it but you should be ok.

My only regret is not going a step further and having it done at a salon. I think they could have made it look better. Still had a great time though and I hope you do too.

StellaKatherine
September 11th, 2015, 06:14 AM
On my wedding day I wanted my hair look the best it ever could. My hairdresser flat ironed some of the hair, so that the little braids would look smooth, she curled and lots of the hairspray added. My hair dresser did use the products for making the heat styling less damaging. To be honest I didn't notice any damage after. I did however made a super deep treatments with overnight oiling and such both before and after the wedding. I don't know if that helped to prevent damage at all... Anyway. Have fun on your wedding day and do not stress about styling. One day will not destroy your hair that is sure! :flowers:

Arctic
September 11th, 2015, 06:15 AM
I have occasionally used a curling wand, and never noticed any damage, I use the minimum setting but it's still 140 Celcius degrees, if I remember correctly. I use also other heat styling, I blow dry often using medium to cool air. No damage I can tell of. I also tease my hair sometimes with no damage. In fact my hair is too slippery to stay teased and the backcombing undoes itself aften a short while. Don't worry about damage, it will be alright :thumbsup:

LauraAlaina
September 11th, 2015, 06:42 AM
They will use a heat protectant on your hair, and you can advise them not to use a high heat temp setting. I really wouldn't worry! I don't think one time is enough to cause damage!

TrapperCreekD
September 12th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Congrats! Not married, but I would say it's your wedding, go for it! Everything causes some amount of damage and heat styling once, or twice, isn't going to totally destroy all your hard work. You've already cut down the potential damage by not letting them tease. If you're super worried, do some deep treatments before and after, and maybe use a coney conditioner for extra protection (are you washing your hair or will they be doing that?).