PDA

View Full Version : What is "long" hair to you?

LauraAlaina
September 10th, 2015, 03:43 PM
What is long hair to you? Seeking different outlooks...

BSL?

Waist?

Classic?

When do you see someone and go wow they have LONG hair!

Nique1202
September 10th, 2015, 03:48 PM
If someone's hair touches their bum (even near the top) I consider it "WOW!" long, because it's so rare in my experience. Hair that touches the legs is ":thud:" long (especially if it's been well-maintained).

ArienEllariel
September 10th, 2015, 03:50 PM
On me? when I can reach my hands round my back and touch the ends or longer. so I guess waist+?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM
To me, waist is the beginning of long hair.

Hurven
September 10th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Around MBL or waist.

Arctic
September 10th, 2015, 03:59 PM
When I first joined here my definition on long hair grew longer fast, ha ha. But later it has reverted back to where it was before, and I stubbornly want to keep it so. For me my hair starts to feel long at about APL - not quite there yet. If I look my old hair photos, it looked very long when nearing BSL (and that's the longest it's ever been). When I look around me where I live, long would be probably BSL-waist-ish or thereabouts.

Ephemia
September 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I consider someone to have long hair at about BSL. Hair is just 'long' to me until it passes the hips, as anything that long isn't often seen here. I'd consider hair to be very long at TBL, which is when it begins to get unusual, although it's lengths of classic and beyond that are really rarely seen here. I've only ever seen one lady with past classic hair, and I can't actually remember how long it was.

quirkybookworm
September 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I've always thought of waist as 'long', because that's the longest my hairs ever gotten to before I get frustrated, and cut it off. :lol: But I don't think hair is "WOW!" long until about classic, because you rarely see people with classic length or longer where I live.

meteor
September 10th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I'm not too sure, to be honest... for me, it's about hair that behaves/falls like long hair, so maybe from BSL onwards? I think those are all pretty arbitrary terms, so I'm not too sure where short hair ends and long hair begins... :hmm:
I find that, on men, even collarbone hair is referred to as "long" where I live, but the same doesn't seem to apply to ladies. :hmm:

parkmikii
September 10th, 2015, 04:43 PM
In my opinion somewhere around hip/tailbone is long. I mean I'm a bit past hip now and it doesn't actually feel too long..

missrandie
September 10th, 2015, 04:47 PM
For me, long is quite relative at this point. On my mom, who has had between chin and shoder length hair for 10 years, her APL hair is long. On me, with my pixie for 3 years, nearly shoulder feels long by comparison.

For the remainder of the populace, around BSL looks long.

Groovy Granny
September 10th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Me ~ waist

Others ~ Hip+ = wow

Quixii
September 10th, 2015, 05:17 PM
You might also be interested in:
What length does hair become long? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114562)
what do you consider "long" hair? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3086)
How long does hair have to be before it is considered long? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25611)
When is hair considered long? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16822)
When does hair go from long.. to really long? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110817)
When did you hair start to feel long to you? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5493)

vpatt
September 10th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I think in the general public about APL to BSL. But when I am thinking like this site probably about waist is the beginning.

KittyCatCarrie
September 10th, 2015, 05:41 PM
I'm so used to my knee lenght hair it doesn't feel long to me anymore. But on other people I feel like waist/tailbone is long.

holothuroidea
September 10th, 2015, 05:47 PM
If all your hair fits in a bun, it's long.

I don't have very high standards for "long," but it irks me when dudes are like "my hair is soooo long and hard to manage" when it starts to cover their ears/eyes. No, friend, you have poorly maintained short hair, not long hair.

endlessly
September 10th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I consider hip or classic length to be long hair on others. My hair never really felt long until it was classic length and even then, I still have moments where I question whether or not it truly is long enough.

Asha
September 10th, 2015, 06:12 PM
In my neck of the woods its nice to see BSL happen, and its usually on the teenagers. So that's my general idea for longish hair. Waist or longer is oh my gawd I want it long and have to say something to subject of interest. But same with a large real bun I have to compliment it because I know they must have long hair.

chen bao jun
September 10th, 2015, 06:29 PM
I think waist is long.
I yearn for full BSL, may take another year. if I could ever get to waist, I would be so happy, but it seems far away.

MINAKO
September 10th, 2015, 06:37 PM
Uhm, not short...
means longer than BSL would aready be enough to look nice and flowy, but that depends on the quality of the hair in the first place.

applecinn
September 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Long for Me: APL - BSL
General public: BSL - Waist and beyond

In my area it's really not unusual to see hair length vary from pixie to mid-back

Beckstar
September 10th, 2015, 07:12 PM
BSL. :) (mor)

RavenRose
September 10th, 2015, 08:16 PM
I've always considered hair above the shoulders short, shoulders to Arm pits medium, Bsl Is longish, and waist or below to be truly long. Around here it is not uncommon to see hair anywhere from pixie to BSL, although it is usally the younger teens below Apl

AutobotsAttack
September 10th, 2015, 11:20 PM
For me I've always considered hair to be long as Mid back. As I've gotten older, anything past classic length is "long" to me.

b70
September 11th, 2015, 12:34 AM
My hair is starting to feel "long" to me, just below shoulders. It is the longest it has been in 20 years, and I can easily do a number of updos now. When I look at others I think of BSL hair and longer as long hair.

Wosie
September 11th, 2015, 02:37 AM
:hmm: I think of MBL-waist as the beginning of truly long hair. (I still don't think my hair looks long, though. ;/)

dogzdinner
September 11th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Probably from waist onwards, although I wouldnt consider mine long unless I was several inches past waist at least.
Long hair isnt unusual around here so you see lots of teenagers with BCL/classic hair who wear it down and older ladies with long braids or buns.

Hairkay
September 11th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I consider BSL to be longish and waist to be where long truly starts.

Alastríona
October 13th, 2015, 12:47 AM
I'd go with waist-tailbone. I'm at BSL which seems sooooo short to me, I'd almost say maybe short medium. But Out There apparently I have super long hair! Go figure...

dogzdinner
October 13th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Others- waist length always looks long to me.
Me- not sure. Ive usually had shoulder to waist length hair so I suppose if it got longer then waist it might start to feel long.

Horrorpops
October 13th, 2015, 06:13 AM
For me waist is definitely long but hip+ is when I would "wow" to myself about it :D

Arctic
October 13th, 2015, 06:29 AM
When I first joined here my definition on long hair grew longer fast, ha ha. But later it has reverted back to where it was before, and I stubbornly want to keep it so. For me my hair starts to feel long at about APL - not quite there yet. If I look my old hair photos, it looked very long when nearing BSL (and that's the longest it's ever been). When I look around me where I live, long would be probably BSL-waist-ish or thereabouts.

Update: only a month later my hair has started to feel long. I can put it up in numerous different and interesting ways = long. :)

Zindell
October 13th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Mid-back and longer. :o

SparkleToes
October 13th, 2015, 09:22 AM
My hair is bsl and I've always considered it to be long but after getting on here and looking on Pinterest I'm like "it's not LONG enough!!". So I think now it's probably hip/tailbone maybe waist because I don't know a lot of people who have had hair that long maybe 2 off the top of my head.

kaylenfalse
October 13th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I used to think waist was long, but then I moved near a church where the women don't cut their hair. They all have beautiful floor length hair! Long starts at hip/tailbone for me now.

hanne jensen
October 14th, 2015, 10:57 AM
I think hair starts to be long when it's around hip length.

Jadestorm
October 16th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I always considered hair to be called 'long' when it's not short anymore, so I'd say when it gets past shoulder length. But of course what I consider IS long is not the same as what I consider to BE CALLED long. If that makes sense. ;)
What I'd personally consider long is about waist length. Anything below that I consider really long, anything longer than classic length super long and below knee length extremely long.

*ReiKa*
October 16th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Anything beyond MBL is long, for me.

Dragonwings
October 16th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I'd say waist is where I'd consider hair to be long. BSL would be medium length hair. Hip and longer is "Wow!" To me. :)

LegoCaltrops
October 17th, 2015, 05:03 AM
When it's long enough to get stuck in the waistband of your jeans. And needs putting up all the time to stop it getting in the way.

It feels an eternity away.

gustavonut
October 18th, 2015, 01:30 PM
My opinion will probably change once my hair is longer but long for me is any length past shoulder length really! :3

Echileruwen
October 18th, 2015, 01:38 PM
I'd say at least mid-back length.

Has anyone else noticed that beauticians who charge extra to perm long hair generally put any hair that's past your earlobes into the "long" category?

YvetteVarie
October 18th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Long on other people would be APL. Long on me would be BSL+. Where I live, the 'normal' length is Neck to CBL

yahirwaO.o
October 18th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Long hair: Bsl mid backish, waist until hip lenght. ( My most favorite lenghts)

Super long hair: Tail bone, BSL, Classic and so on. (Lovely to have, but annoying to wear it down)

Miraculous lenght hair: knee to lenght floor to whatever is your terminal lenght (I dont need to say more :guns:)

red autumn
October 19th, 2015, 02:20 AM
for me, "long" is somewere just around the tailbone. my husband and his family feel long hair is shoulder length, and they are very small people, so their hair, in inches, are barely mid-neck for me.

astrid92
November 1st, 2015, 08:59 AM
Long hair to me is waist length or longer. I am a short person so anything above waist seems short to me. Also most of my friends are a good 3 to 5 inches taller than me and many of them have long hair that is about as long as my hair, which is just below waist, but theirs has not even reached waist length. :luke:

chen bao jun
November 1st, 2015, 12:46 PM
Long hair: Bsl mid backish, waist until hip lenght. ( My most favorite lenghts)

Super long hair: Tail bone, BSL, Classic and so on. (Lovely to have, but annoying to wear it down)

Miraculous lenght hair: knee to lenght floor to whatever is your terminal lenght (I dont need to say more :guns:)

I love the way you phrase things!!

I still do think that some people's APL length hair looks long. I think of (full) APL as the beginning of long.

Although it doesn't look long on me. It used to, when I straightened my hair, but with natural hair, my hair is so pouffy that at APL that it still looks more 'wide' than long. I think that when you have very straight, rather thin hair, APL can look long.

I would consider BSL as definitely long and all. I. want.is. waist
and so far can't get it.

I should have full BSL next year, though, anyway. sometime. I hope.

RainbowBowser
November 1st, 2015, 01:27 PM
Waist is definitely where hair begins to be categorized as long (BSL is considered midlength/"the norm" long to me).
Of course, theres differing categories of long hair (I like yahirwaO.o's post, that one best describes it to me)