PDA

View Full Version : Lily Of Valley Aloe Vera Gel?

Catladyintown
March 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone. I have a question on Aloe Vera Gel. I have been thinking about buying Lily of the Valley Aloe Vera Gel. I have bought it before, but it left a lot of flakes in my hair. These are the INGREDIENTS in there Aloe Vera gel, besides Aloe Vera: http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/ingr/ingr199330.cfm Carrageenan (thickining agent), Citric Acid (pH Stabilzer),
Potassium Sorbate (mold inhibitor).
Okay the question what is Carrageenan?
I also have real Aloe Vera Plant in my back yard. Should I buy the Gel. Or use the Aloe Vera plant strait from my yard. And how would you process the Aloe Vera Plant. I hope I am making sense. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :) Catladyintown

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
It depends on your aloe plant. I've got a couple outside on the patio (I am also in Arizona!) and they don't give good aloe gel. There's a lot of different kinds of aloe, and some just have really stinky gel-although the fact that the plant was sitting in 100 plus heat when I tried it could've had something to do with it.

I think I use Lily of the Desert (not sure if that's the name, I'm too lazy to get up and look) And I like it. Granted I don't use it much. The few times I've seen the popular Fruit of the Earth stuff, I was too grossed out to buy it. They sell either green or super crystal clear aloe gel,, and claim it's totally natural, IMHO that's just not possible. I don't know what carrageenan is, but I haven't stressed about it. :D

physicschick
March 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Carrageenan comes from seaweed. It's used as a thickener, including in food products. I've often seen it in ice cream. It should be fine for hair.

icydove
March 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
I bought the Lily of the Desert kind that has to be refrigerated. The main problem with it for me was the smell, but it seemed to thin as well.

Marms
March 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
I had no luck with aloe vera gel...all the thickeners just make my hair gunky. What does work for me is plain liquidy aloe vera. I use the Aubrey Organics brand. The only ingredients are aloe leaf juice, grapefruit seed extract & vitamin E.

Tapioca
March 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
I use the clear Fruit of the Earth stuff, and I've never had any problems with it. It's hard to find aloe without alcohol or green coloring, though. Off to the natural food store for me.

curls2grow
March 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have never tried the Lily of the Desert AV Gel that has to be refrigerated. But I have used their AV Gelly that does not have to be refrigerated and I really like it. But keep in mind that I have curly hair, a bit longer than shoulder length - and it helps to control frizz for me. I'm not sure how well the Gelly would work on other hair types/lengths.

Catladyintown
March 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you Physicschick and everyone else. I am glad to know that Carrageenan comes from seaweed.:) Catladyintown

vimripet
December 11th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Can I second that? Any help for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

:spam: links removed.