PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Helmets and Scalp Pain

dauphin
September 9th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Hello everyone. Just wondering if there are any other motorcycle riders out there.

My husband and I got a motorcycle last summer (2014). We used to ride when we were younger, but had a baby, but now that she is older we started riding again. This time though I am having a really difficult time with my helmet. When we started riding again last year my hair wasn't particularly long (about shoulder blade length) but wearing the helmet for more than 15/20 minutes is very painful. It feels like my hair is being ripped from my head! I tried wearing it in different styles - braids, ponytail, scarfs - but nothing seemed to make any difference. This summer I had cut my hair to just below my chin hoping that it would help, but the shorter hair has not made a bit of difference.

Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any thoughts or suggestions on how to help. I really love going for rides, being in the fresh air, and it's so much fun, but the pain is becoming a real problem.

pailin
September 9th, 2015, 06:21 AM
I've never had that kind of pain from my helmet (I ride a little motorbike regularly; it was my only transportation for several years). Is it possible that the helmet doesn't really fit you properly? I had one that was a little too loose for a while and when I replaced it I bought a nice snug one - too snug, it turned out! Made my head hurt if I wore it for more than 5 minutes. I ended up buying another and giving it to my tiny petite housemate so she would have no excuse for riding without one. Also some helmets I tried on, I just didn't like the fit on my head.

DaniJoy
September 9th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I ride a motorcycle with my husband. I have never had pain on my head from the helmet. I usually wear my hair in just a single braid. Although, I would consider the spot you are having the uncomfortableness with the helmet as a "hot spot" and I would try and get fit for a different helmet maybe or talk to a helmet expert?

dauphin
September 9th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I can't get a larger helmet, as all the ones I tried on a size larger were much too big. I suppose it could just be that particular helmet brand though. I think the hard part would be knowing if a helmet will cause problems since my current helmet feels fine when I put it on and wear for a short period of time. It's frustrating because we want to take a longer trip on the bike, but right now I can't imaging riding for multiple days with the pain. Plus, I'm worried it actually is pulling out my hair and will cause baldness!

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I've driven a motorcycle since I was 18 and driven across Canada. I've owned 2 bikes, a Suzuki and a Ninja and the 'only.' Helmet I ever purchase is a full face ShoE
Not sure if a spelled that right but these helmets are expensive, top of the line but super comfy. I suggest going into a bike store and getting one fit for you by the staff. Phone then ahead of time and explain the situation.
Wear your hair that day like you normally would for biking just to make sure it's comfy.
It should be snug but with a tad wiggle room mainly for your hair.
What I always do is braid my hair all the way down then flip it up and tuck the braid up as far as it will go. Don't roll it or fold it because then you are going to have a bulge there that can be quite painful after a while.
My hair was mostly tailbone length which was about 45 inches and it's very thick too and this worked great for me. In colder seasons I'd wrap a scarf around my neck and tuck it into my jacket.

Good luck and happy riding :waving:

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Shoei Helmets
http://www.shoei-helmets.com

After biking I always gave myself a scalp massage too.
I'm not sure why there are so many people that let there hair fly all over the place.
For one it causes major split ends and for two it's potentially dangerous but then again you see lots of bikers with short sleeves and shirts. Clearly they've never experienced road rash :shrug:

Naunnie
September 9th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Hey dauphin. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. My Husband and I both ride. I read your post to him. We agree with the others, find another helmet. DH suggested your helmet may have a manufacturing defect. I recommend a Harley dealership. In our experience, they are trained and knowledgeable about helmets. They will not sell you one unless it is the "right fit" and it doesn't have to be "Harley" brand. DH's has purchased two AFX full face from a dealership. I sure hope you find a solution and can keep riding. :sun:

dauphin
September 9th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will go and try a new helmet, and talk with someone there that is more knowledgeable about helmets than I am. I also will only wear a full face helmet. Since this is really affecting my ability to enjoy riding I think it will be worth the time and effort to find something comfortable.