PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of bulk and weight from hair - two great videos

tigress86
September 8th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I used these two videos and techniques recently to get rid of too much thickness and bulk in my hair. Thought I'd share, maybe someone will find this helpful. First I used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4jy1yRNxM
But instead on cutting one triangle in the back, I also did one on each side. It turned out great and my hair instantly got that silhouette or roundness he is talking about, instead of the triangle head I had. But overall my hair still had a little bit more thickness than I would like.

Then I used this video starting from 1:30, where she uses regular haircutting shears instead of thinning shears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ff6IFjm-s I did this all over my underlayer and I love the results. You have to be careful though and really snip just a little bit from different places. I also thinned my bangs like this. Maybe this is nothing new to some of you, but I didn't know how to use regular scissors to get the results you would with thinning scissors.

I was unhappy with the shape of my hair before I did this, I almost went to the salon to get it thinned out, but now I feel like I will never have to step foot in the salon again, this is easy :)

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I used these two videos and techniques recently to get rid of too much thickness and bulk in my hair. Thought I'd share, maybe someone will find this helpful. First I used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4jy1yRNxM
But instead on cutting one triangle in the back, I also did one on each side. It turned out great and my hair instantly got that silhouette or roundness he is talking about, instead of the triangle head I had. But overall my hair still had a little bit more thickness than I would like.

Then I used this video starting from 1:30, where she uses regular haircutting shears instead of thinning shears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ff6IFjm-s I did this all over my underlayer and I love the results. You have to be careful though and really snip just a little bit from different places. I also thinned my bangs like this. Maybe this is nothing new to some of you, but I didn't know how to use regular scissors to get the results you would with thinning scissors.

I was unhappy with the shape of my hair before I did this, I almost went to the salon to get it thinned out, but now I feel like I will never have to step foot in the salon again, this is easy :)

The first technique is used in compact cutting as well, except you do it to the entire head of hair. It's awesome and I will be going back to that layering technique in December. Of course you leave the hair much longer than the section he did, he almost cut it on top of her head.

turtlelover
September 8th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I think it is ironic how people with THICK hair always want it to seem thinner, while the rest of us try to make ours look thicker! The grass is truly always greener on the other side of the fence! I just LOVE the look of super thick, blunt cut hair, and it seems so weird to me that people thin it out to make it look more ordinary! LOL

:laugh:

eshta
September 8th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I think most thick haired people who thin out and/or layer their hair do it not only to make it look and fall better, but also to reduce the weight and heat. It can get really hot in the summer, especially if it's too short to wear it up. When my hair was longer it was also easier to bun if the bottom was layered and U or V shaped.

I also use the compact cutting technique, I love that I can finally cut my own layers how I like them.

Nique1202
September 9th, 2015, 04:35 AM
I think it is ironic how people with THICK hair always want it to seem thinner, while the rest of us try to make ours look thicker! The grass is truly always greener on the other side of the fence! I just LOVE the look of super thick, blunt cut hair, and it seems so weird to me that people thin it out to make it look more ordinary! LOL

:laugh:

Three major reasons thick maned folks might want it thinned out: weight, heat, and styles. If I didn't have my deep layers in my hair right now, an inch shy of BCL, I couldn't even get a full turn on a cinnabun let alone the lazy wrap bun that everyone says you should be able to do at APL. (Which I still can't do solidly, even WITH my layers.)

lapushka
September 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Three major reasons thick maned folks might want it thinned out: weight, heat, and styles. If I didn't have my deep layers in my hair right now, an inch shy of BCL, I couldn't even get a full turn on a cinnabun let alone the lazy wrap bun that everyone says you should be able to do at APL. (Which I still can't do solidly, even WITH my layers.)

I feel ya! That's why I have layers as well. The compact cut method was really an epiphany when I discovered it in the book I got, "Haircutting for dummies". It's a book I fully recommend as there are so many tips on cutting hair in there.

Arctic
September 9th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I can totally understand why people want to thin out the hair (in what ever method they choose), even though my hair in on the thinner side of ii, at the length where I am it just easily looks so boxy, that even I like some layering.

I liked those videos, as they leave the canopy alone. The Sam Villa video is also easy to repeat, because of the clever sectioning. The other one *might* end up little by little so, that it takes more and more, until ends start to thin out too much, something many curly cuts apparently do also over time. The sectioning is such, that it's not easy or possible to repeat exactly, and it's not easy to find the already thinned areas, or so i imagine (and I might very well be wrong, cause layering definitely is not my forte). That is ofcourse if you repeatedly do the same method over long period of time.