PDA

View Full Version : Multiple strand knots aka "tangles"

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Do you get them? How?

I get them when I don't moisturize enough, when my first C in WCC for example is a little too dry and not moisturizing enough for me. As a second C, I use the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration which is a great detangler, especially when paired with another good conditioner. It takes two to tango. ;)

These past weeks I have had to use plenty of bad products (I am going through my stash) and so have been using "bad" stuff for a first C, which results (mid-week) in tangly hair when I separate the strands. Sometimes the knots are so bad (they are just 10 strand or 20 strand knots) that they seem backcombed on themselves.

So who gets tangles? And how do *you* get rid of them?

I carefully pull them apart with fingertips until they "let go". Takes a lot of patience, but I do have that. I don't want breakage.

school of fish
September 8th, 2015, 07:04 AM
I've always gotten these, and very likely always will to some degree - it's just the way my hair seems to be. It can be frustrating because my hair is SUPER slippery to the point where getting updos to hold is a constant issue, but it still likes to tangle up in fairy knots and multiple strands...

I've found that for me one of the best things I can do is to keep my hair as clean of 'stuff' on it as possible - conditioner residue, leave-ins, serums, oils, and even my own sebum just make my strands sticky and tangle-prone. One recent discovery and exception to the rule is a very diluted acv final rinse. This has made a big difference not only to my post-shower comb-out, but any tangles that form throughout the day are far more easily combed out as well. I've also found that it's better for me to be combing frequently to prevent tangles from getting out of hand than attempting to avoid the mechanical damage from the comb. But I'm careful as I comb through to go gently, not rush, and use a light touch. Detangling with the wide-tooth comb is far gentler and more effective for me than finger-combing - I really seem to need the teeth of the comb to keep the strands seperated.

Here's my general routine that has worked to reduce my tangles to a minimum:
- gently detangle before bed with a wide-tooth comb, put it up in a loose bun on top of my head, secured with a hair stick.
- in the morning take down the sleep bun and gently detangle with a wide-tooth comb.
- wash hair in the shower according to whatever day of my weekly cycle routine I'm on (I co-wash 4 days a week, sls shampoo and condition 2 days a week, henna/smt once a week). Yes I'm washing my hair in some form every day - I've found that I just have to to keep anything from building up on my hair causing those sticky-tangles.
- turn off the shower, squeeze and gently shake excess water from my hair, and saturate from root to tip with 1/2oz acv in 8oz cold water (applied with a hair-colouring squeeze bottle and not rinsed out).
- wrap hair up in a towel and let it absorb the excess water while I get dressed, etc., then gently comb out completely with a wide tooth comb (this takes only a couple minutes).
- finish getting ready for the day (put on makeup, etc.) as hair is drying, then comb out again gently when hair is 90% or so dry.
- once hair is completely dry, either put it up for the day or leave it down - I do both (I get tangles either way, so I just wear it however I feel or according to whatever activities I'm doing).
- throughout the day, detangle gently as necessary with the wide-tooth comb, generally about 4-6 times per day (yes even on updo days).
- repeat.

That's what's been working for me, I'm sure others will chime in as well with some great suggestions :)

Ephemia
September 8th, 2015, 07:05 AM
I thought everyone got tangles, and that that was the whole point of using a comb at all? Are we talking serious ones here? If so, I haven't had one of those for a long time. I used to get them when I didn't finger comb my hair in the shower. I deal with them the same way as you - stroke outwards from the centre of the knot using both hands and pick out the hairs that I manage to free. Sometimes there's a tiny knot in the very centre that isn't going anywhere and so I have to cut it out, but patience usually deals with most of it.

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 07:24 AM
If I do WCC and have 2 very moisturizing conditioners, I get 0 tangles. Not even mid-week. Really. No joke! I am a heavy silicone user, though, I have to say that. It's just I am new to tangles, as I am going through my stash and using less "moisturizing" things, even stuff without silicones (OMG). So I wanted to see what experiences you all had. :)

hinabelle
September 8th, 2015, 08:30 AM
I've been tangly recently and it definitely is due to the dryness of my hair. It's very dry
where I live and I haven't had the chance to wash my hair as frequently as I'd like due
to a busy schedule, so my hair is dying for some deep conditioning right now :( Hopefully
I have a chance to wash tonight!

Johannah
September 8th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Nope I never get these, unless I'm using an hair elastic with metal for a half-up. But I never really do that (for that reason).

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Nope I never get these, unless I'm using an hair elastic with metal for a half-up. But I never really do that (for that reason).

That's great, I thought I was the only one. Not having them is such a luxury, and now with getting them... darn it! But I hate throwing products away, so I'll just have to muster through.

missrandie
September 8th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't say I tangle badly; my hair just clumps into locks and that look doesn't do well on me! I will get legitimate tangles if somebody "scurfs" my hair at the scalp or if it blows in the wind too hard.

Nadine <3
September 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
My hair tangles badly unless I have a substantial amount of oil in it. My hair soaks up oil like a sponge so I oil my ends daily. Olive oil works the best for me. The conditioner I'm using right now is one I mixed up, it's 2 cups of tresseme naturals, half a cup of grapeseed oil, half a cup of coconut oil, and 1 cup of honey. This leaves my hair soft and moisturized and relatively tangle free. Even though I wear my hair up to sleep, I still need to rub a drop or two of oil on my ends before I try doing anything to my hair for the day. With my hair, it's so fine that tangles means breakage so I try and prevent that as much as possible. I'm horrible untangling patiently so I'd rather just not get tangles in the first place.

kjirstiben
September 8th, 2015, 10:04 AM
"Tangly" is the first descriptor that anyone else who's done my hair has to say about it (my mom still mentions mammoth tangles in my halo of toddler curls). Since I've got fine wurly hair, it likes to float around and knot up on itself. I've never had zero tangles, ever, although I think I got close once when I went to a salon ages ago, got covered in heavy cones and flatironed... it looked very pretty, but not like my hair!

As far as dealing with them, school of fish has all the basic principles delineated. Things I do without even thinking now include:

- detangle SLOWLY and carefully and start from the ends. If you encounter a knot, work on the hairs below it with your comb and/or fingers, and usually the whole thing will fall out
- never flip wet hair around, pile it up on your head, or manipulate it too much in the shower. While shampooing & massaging my scalp, I carefully part my hair with my fingers, but never move all of it around. Even moving it from one shoulder to the other can cause massive tangles while wet.
- keep it contained in an updo or braid (generally has to be a moderately tight braid or it fuzzes out and tangles) particularly when going outside and when sleeping
- clarify periodically to get rid of build-up -- I find that my ends eventually become velcro-y no matter what routine I'm doing, and eventually need to be cleaned off
- brushes are tricky -- my hair tends to want to tangle in and around the brush bristles, so I only use a BBB, for instance, if I have already very carefully combed and detangled. Even then, I don't draw the BBB all the way through the hair to the ends, because it will tangle.
- while undoing a braid, or a heatless curl setting, go slowly and detangle in the process of unwinding (I've seen a few videos where longhairs have tried a new curling method and end up with a painful head of tangles... this is what I deal with almost all the time and what I see in their approach is that they try to detangle too quickly, and end up turning normal tangles into tight knots)
- use a silky pillowcase, maybe even a silky sleep cap
- if you're running out of time, roll the tangled hair up into a gentle bun (so it won't get any worse in the interim), and come back to detangling when you do have time.

But you know, it's going to be individual to your head of hair! I'll never be entirely tangle-free, but I know how to deal with them. And I think that the key is moving slowly and having patience if your hair decides to tangle.

Johannah
September 8th, 2015, 10:21 AM
That's great, I thought I was the only one. Not having them is such a luxury, and now with getting them... darn it! But I hate throwing products away, so I'll just have to muster through.

Yes, it's *amazing*. First I needed to comb my hair several times because otherwise it looked like a mess, and now it always looks good when it's down! I think it's a side effect of finding our HG products ;)

meteor
September 8th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Things I do without even thinking now include:

- detangle SLOWLY and carefully and start from the ends. If you encounter a knot, work on the hairs below it with your comb and/or fingers, and usually the whole thing will fall out
- never flip wet hair around, pile it up on your head, or manipulate it too much in the shower. While shampooing & massaging my scalp, I carefully part my hair with my fingers, but never move all of it around. Even moving it from one shoulder to the other can cause massive tangles while wet.
- keep it contained in an updo or braid (generally has to be a moderately tight braid or it fuzzes out and tangles) particularly when going outside and when sleeping
- clarify periodically to get rid of build-up -- I find that my ends eventually become velcro-y no matter what routine I'm doing, and eventually need to be cleaned off
- brushes are tricky -- my hair tends to want to tangle in and around the brush bristles, so I only use a BBB, for instance, if I have already very carefully combed and detangled. Even then, I don't draw the BBB all the way through the hair to the ends, because it will tangle.
- while undoing a braid, or a heatless curl setting, go slowly and detangle in the process of unwinding (I've seen a few videos where longhairs have tried a new curling method and end up with a painful head of tangles... this is what I deal with almost all the time and what I see in their approach is that they try to detangle too quickly, and end up turning normal tangles into tight knots)
- use a silky pillowcase, maybe even a silky sleep cap
- if you're running out of time, roll the tangled hair up into a gentle bun (so it won't get any worse in the interim), and come back to detangling when you do have time.

But you know, it's going to be individual to your head of hair! I'll never be entirely tangle-free, but I know how to deal with them. And I think that the key is moving slowly and having patience if your hair decides to tangle.

^ This is really great stuff! :applause

I really think that with battling tangles 90% of the victory is prevention!

So, for me, it's all about containing hair (as soon as it's detangled) and keeping different sections separated - which is why I love braided updos and multiple/sectioned braided buns. All the hair is split into sections but it's up and not moving, so it gives the best chance at preventing any tangles.

I love braided washes (hair in 4 braids, usually), and I had to learn not to flip hair around when I wash it loose (I always felt like flipping it at different angles helps reach scalp but, boy, does it cause tangles!)

I also sleep with hair braided and coiled above my head, covered in silky material - it helps as well.

Keeping lint away from hair and not over-oiling (oils are dust-magnets!) is important, as well. I am always careful around wools, flannels, necklaces, warm scarves, sweaters... they can seriously tangle up nape hair.

Product-wise, I think it's just important to keep hair moisturized but avoid build-up as much as possible - it can be a tricky balance, indeed.

If the tangle is already formed and you are in a rush: put it up until you have time to deal with it. When you are ready, get you widest comb, spray bottle with water, conditioner, oil and keep a needle handy - it can help on a very tight knot.

pailin
September 8th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Tangles are part of why I rarely wear my hair down. It has always tangled horrifically. A good routine (ie good enough conditioner) makes a world of difference, but it still tangles. I used to destroy combs and brushes. I do wash daily, but actually it was even worse when I was a teenager and didn't wash it as often (but I used cheaper conditioner then too). I love what Seeshami calls her hair!
I currently do CWC and damp oil the ends. I comb or brush at least a couple times a day.
I'm finding that massaging anything into my scalp creates awful tangles up close to the scalp, too, so I should probably avoid it.
I'm avoiding silicones now because most coney conditioners I've used don't work as well as my favorite cone-free one, and the ones that do tend to dull my hair and make it limp. Unless they're not moisturizing enough, in which case my hair is a ball of fluffy frizz.
The no-combing thing in the CG routine makes me cringe!

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Yes, it's *amazing*. First I needed to comb my hair several times because otherwise it looked like a mess, and now it always looks good when it's down! I think it's a side effect of finding our HG products ;)

Yes HG. I just found one HG conditioner so far, but I still am experimenting with the first C to discover that one. I could just use Herbal Essences HH twice, but that seems like such a waste, and these bottles don't last me very long (3 washes at the most).

It is *so* great to hear your stories and ways of dealing with knots and tangles! Huge help, thank you! :flower:

WannabeViking
September 8th, 2015, 11:42 AM
My hair loves to tangle. It has gotten a lot better since I tried the WCC method (in fact I just picked up some hello hydration and it's AMAZING! Thanks lapushka!) I also use this product called "Pravana Nevo" as a leave-in and it helps keep things smooth. I also wear it in protective styles (usually braid or man-bun) which helps even more.

AutobotsAttack
September 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I have naturally fine hair, but a lot of it. So my tangles usually happen if my hair is is just out and flying everywhere. But when I detangle while my hair is still wet after I leave some conditioner in after washing I notice my shed hairs like to tangle up in horrible knots. They don't tangle up while attached to my head. Only after they had she'd and I comb them out which weird and I have no idea why they do that.

aurorae
September 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Well as a curly/coily head and a transitioner at that,i find that tangles are just inevitable as i generally wash every two weeks.*darn relaxed ends,not ready to let go tho*.But what gets me through is:
•detangling at least once a week,and by detangle I mean most finger detangling,i only use a comb to pick at my roots and to gently itch it at times,so niiice.
•The above paired with a spray bottle of water,which i use just a little bit of,an oil(personal preference applies here),and a slippery conditioner.
I add some drops of the oil,follow by a spritz of water and start to finger detangle(this takes a wad of patience and upper body strength in my opinion,still working on it though).Then i add the moisturizer/condish to smooth things out using only a tad bit of each.On wash day,i eliminate the conditioner and just go crazy with the oil and water.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube on this.
*drops mic*

Seventy7
September 8th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Oh.. tangles.. Reading this lot, my hair only tangles a little.
Moving dry hair is enough to get tangles, but it's got a lot less in the last months. My tangles were worst at the ends. I could detangle completely and try to run my fingers through my hair and it would have a massive knot again. Just like velcro. :rolleyes:

Now I'm on WCC (I'm also using Herbal Essences HE as second and love Fructis Sleek&Shine as first) and ROO (MO, thanks for all these tips, lapushka) and I get little tangles that easily come undone when (finger)combing.
I also picked up microtrimming again, which does help my ends a lot.
I'm sure I have to live with the tangles I now have and I know I can.

I do notice as well that most larger tangles have at least one shed hair in them. I guess my hair loves itself too much to just let go.

Last week I tried something different with my shampoo and my hair just went tangle-crazy as soon as it was dry. I had to use a coney leave-in to help sort that mess as I didn't want to wash immediately again. This worked really well!

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 01:33 PM
My hair loves to tangle. It has gotten a lot better since I tried the WCC method (in fact I just picked up some hello hydration and it's AMAZING! Thanks lapushka!) I also use this product called "Pravana Nevo" as a leave-in and it helps keep things smooth. I also wear it in protective styles (usually braid or man-bun) which helps even more.

No worries, and it is a good conditioner. I mean... ;)

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Now I'm on WCC (I'm also using Herbal Essences HE as second and love Fructis Sleek&Shine as first) and ROO (MO, thanks for all these tips, lapushka) and I get little tangles that easily come undone when (finger)combing.
I also picked up microtrimming again, which does help my ends a lot.
I'm sure I have to live with the tangles I now have and I know I can.

You're welcome!

I get sheds in my knots as well. I guess sometimes that's the way it goes.

Chocowalnut
September 8th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Do you mean the tiny little knots that appear in a strand of hair? I never use to get these, or at least ever noticed them (maybe I'm just paying more attention now, idk), but I get them sometimes now ever since I've embraced my natural hair texture. I'm thinking the wurls cause more tangles and I get more mechanical damage now vs. chemical/heat damage like I previously got.

rags
September 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM
I have very fine hair that is getting wavier with every shed. It tangles like mad! It's so fine and floaty that the hairs just tangle amongst themselves quite easily.

It's also getting dryer as I age and due to medications - yet it's so fine that a lot of moisturizing products weigh it own and leave it limp. It behaves best when treated like very curly hair - lots and lots and lots of moisture - and then I get almost no tangles! But I also end up looking like a drowned rat, so......:p

So my main strategies are to not have a lot of leave-in or oils in my hair, as they will attract lint and thus cause tangles.
In the same vein, I do brush daily. Otherwise the lint (my hair is a lint- fiend!) collect and, more tangles.
I comb several times a day if it's down - but my hair does not tangle in updos, so I only comb when I take it down then.

And pretty much what everyone else said about being very careful with washing!

lapushka
September 9th, 2015, 02:18 AM
Do you mean the tiny little knots that appear in a strand of hair? I never use to get these, or at least ever noticed them (maybe I'm just paying more attention now, idk), but I get them sometimes now ever since I've embraced my natural hair texture. I'm thinking the wurls cause more tangles and I get more mechanical damage now vs. chemical/heat damage like I previously got.

No those are single strand knots (SSKs), there's a separate thread on them.

MINAKO
September 9th, 2015, 02:45 AM
I only get a tangle here and there at the very ends these days. I dont have splits but sometimes there would be a few hairs that bend in weird ways that causes them. I just pick them apart with my fingers. Undoing them vertically instead kf pulling horizontally really helps. When i get the tangle out i would smooth the crimped hair with my fingernail. Probably not the most gentle thing to do but even these seem to never split so whatevs.
I used to have really bad single strand knots sometimes but cant find any of these in my hair anymore. Thank god, i hated having to cut them out halfway up the strand.

lapushka
September 9th, 2015, 05:06 AM
I used to have really bad single strand knots sometimes but cant find any of these in my hair anymore. Thank god, i hated having to cut them out halfway up the strand.

TBH, I think SSKs are quite worse than MSKs, multiple strands - at least you can pick them apart, if it works. But SSKs well, with a needle you might be successful but... it's difficult.

Anje
September 9th, 2015, 10:22 AM
For me, the bad ones end up giving the hairs a permanent kink anyway. Sometimes I just cut the darn things out, because I"m sure they'll just snag hairs again in the damaged area and damage more of them. :P

I've always had hair that tangles, though it's better when I keep it well-moisturized or oiled beyond the point where I want people to see it loose. That's a big part of why I typically wear it in a contained style. It's so much easier to deal with when I don't have to pick out knots.

chen bao jun
September 9th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I do not tangle much. I am prone to the single strand knots instead (aargh!)

I always THOUGHT I had tangly hair though, and beauticians used to complain about it. the important thing for me (and I know this a no-brainer, but thought I'd mention it anyway), I have to detangle from the bottom up. If I start anywhere else(and surprising, a lot of hairdressers do comb your hair automatically from top down), tangles get created. Tangles from hell.

I also completely evade them now by washing in braids. this way, I think I completely evade the tangles created by rubbing loose hair together when wet. Which are also from hell, and may even be worse than the ones from top down or middle down combing.

lapushka
September 9th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I always comb bottom to top, but when separating strands, it *is* top to bottom, unfortunately. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that anymore but just straight up combing it instead. Hmm, something to think about.

school of fish
September 9th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I always comb bottom to top, but when separating strands, it *is* top to bottom, unfortunately. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that anymore but just straight up combing it instead. Hmm, something to think about.

Combing bottom-to-top and separating strands top-to-bottom both sound logical to me because I think in both cases you're working in the direction that the cuticle lies. If you were to separate from bottom to top I would think you'd be working against the cuticle?

Laur
September 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
My hair gets lots of tangles when I wash from the shed hairs getting wrapped around other hairs. I also get some end-velcro-tangles as I'm growing out my layers - the layers haven't been trimmed since last December, so they're starting to get dry. Oil helps this a lot, as does a satin sleep cap (or both). I rarely have to do more than pick at the tangles with a comb though, they usually aren't tough to get out of my hair.

My hair is very fine and pretty wavy, so any time I wear it down it's tangle city.

I wore my hair down and curly (diffused with a little gel) to a beach party once, and between the wind and the sand, had to have my husband carefully work out the tangles with copious amounts of conditioner and oil afterward - it took him almost an hour. NEVER AGAIN.

cathair
September 9th, 2015, 04:51 PM
This bit of Madora's advice made me hugely more successful at removing tangles:

If you find a snarl, take it apart with your fingers, not the comb. You'll find that the snarl is easier to pick apart if you hold it horizontally and work on it, rather than trying to unsnarl it in a vertical position

Pulling hairs up or down doesn't work, for some reason.

I do get tangles from shed hair, that's probably most of them. But usually in the shower when my hair is full of conditioner anyway, so it doesn't really bother me since they slide right out with conditioner. The rest of the time it's up and the sheds don't really come out cause I don't comb it very much.

The very ends are becoming annoyingly tangly, especially when braided. It's not because they are split, or have white dots, or need clarifying. But three of four stands will twist round each other very tightly and I can't figure out why it happens at all. It really is a twist, rather than a knot. It used to happen with lint, but there isn't even any lint there. I think perhaps a bit needs to be cut, but so very close to classic.

woodswanderer
September 9th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Gently, working out one hair at a time. Ugh!

Hairkay
September 9th, 2015, 05:43 PM
My hair can get tangly. I've dealt with this by being proactive. Keeping hair in braids/plaits prevents most tangles. If I wear my hair out there will be tangles. Tangles will get worse in windy weather or sleeping with hair loose. Swimming with hair loose also causes tangles. Washing hair in plaits/braids also prevent tangles. Taking my time to slowly detangle will prevent multi strand knots. I detangle with my fingers, dealing with one section at a time. Shed hair does cause tangles so if I spot a hair significantly longer than the rest I know it's a shed hair and pull it out before it causes a knot to form with the other hair strands. Should I want to use a comb it's best to do so after some finger detangling on wet/damp oiled hair. Combing starts at the bottom. The best comb detangling I've seen for my type of hair is combing a little bit at a time, no raking through the whole length in one go.

kitana97
September 9th, 2015, 11:45 PM
My hair tangles really bad when I put it in a low loose bun. Since I started using hard water a couple years ago the tangles have increased but deep conditioning helps keep them at bay. To avoid tangles I french braid! And to release tangles I carefully finger comb my hair dry or finger comb with a bit of oil.

vega
September 10th, 2015, 03:11 AM
My hair tangles really bad when I put it in a low loose bun. Since I started using hard water a couple years ago the tangles have increased but deep conditioning helps keep them at bay. To avoid tangles I french braid! And to release tangles I carefully finger comb my hair dry or finger comb with a bit of oil.

These knots frequently happen to me too,I ocassionally have to cut them out , it's hard cause I'm trying to grow out , and constantly having to cut out knots makes me sad , I've tried it all expensive deep conditioners I' have no advice here

MINAKO
September 10th, 2015, 09:28 AM
its simply tangling because of a certain curl pattern, doesn't necessarily mean hair is damaged. since i straighten mine i get so much less of these tangles cause non of my strands are S or coil shaped anymore.Of course not everyone wants straight hair or would choose that just to get rid of tanlegles, but instead of relying on the conditioner i would try to alter my detangling technique and protective updos maybe.

DaniJoy
September 11th, 2015, 06:46 AM
My hair naturally can be wavy if I don't touch it while drying, but generally it will look straight. However, I get these perfect little ringlets around the nape of my neck and they love to tangle the rest of my hair in them. I sometimes have to spray a light conditioner and then use my fingers to detangle those little buggers.
I also use a tangle teaser and start from the bottom and work up. If my hair is worn down it will just tangle in the breeze. Patience is my best friend for dealing with my hair, which I learned the hard way, but the results are worth it. :o if the tangle is ever super bad I will get out as many strands as I can and then I will do a snip. That always makes me sad.

lapushka
September 11th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I haven't had to snip anything so far, so that's great. Yesterday a whole lot of tangles came out. Phew. Gosh. I mean...

lapushka
August 3rd, 2018, 05:21 AM
I had 3, one of which I had to cut out, and in my shortest layer as well! Right in front. I discovered them at night while finger detangling. 3 good size knots, and it was all stuck together like you wouldn't believe. It took a while to get the other two released, but that third one was a beast!

I hate when this happens. It's been a while since I had some *this* bad!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 3rd, 2018, 06:12 AM
Madora's advice does work brilliantly for me. It'd probably only be once a year that I would get a tangle that I can't get out and have to cut and then it's generally a SSK.

GrowlingCupcake
August 3rd, 2018, 12:05 PM
Ooh, good timing since I was going to make a post about my hair.

My hair is ridiculously tangly. It's always been like this, and was the reason why my mother always kept my hair short as a kid; she didn't want to deal with my tangles. It's just always full of tangles, whether right after being combed through (and tangle free) or in a tight braid (and was put into the braid tangle free). I get a lot of big knots, some of which I need help to unknot, and some which I have to cut out.

So far the only thing that works is NB's Selkie Detangler, but that only helps, it doesn't get rid of the knots; I still get them on a daily basis, but they come apart a bit more easily, and I don't have to cut as often. I try to avoid combing my length other than once in the morning (before putting it in my daily bun), and once at night (before putting it in sleep braids or sleep bun).

Any advice? How do I tame the tangly mess that is my hair? At first I thought it was dryness or damage from dyeing it but it's been a lifelong thing that happens whether my hair is virgin, and in a chin length bob or dyed every month, and shoulder length, or not dyed in years, and waist length. I think I've just been noticing it more since I am trying to build better hair care habits.

I do have a lot of split ends, and I S&D very often. My ends are also quite dry. Knots do not necessarily happen at the ends, though.

Arciela
August 3rd, 2018, 12:56 PM
I had horrible tangles like this but it was from my mistake of bleaching my hair. I since chopped it off to APL and have 0 tangles now :D When my hair was TBL and all virgin it had no tangles too.

lithostoic
August 3rd, 2018, 01:22 PM
I get tangles no matter what. People try to tell me "brush from the bottom up!" But literally my whole head of hair from root to tip is tangled lol. I always brush from the bottom up but it doesn't solve my problem. My hair still rips and snaps.

Finger detangling seems to make it worse sometimes! Instead of running my fingers through it I just use my hands like tongs to pull sections apart. Then I gently brush it.

GrowlingCupcake
August 3rd, 2018, 01:33 PM
I had horrible tangles like this but it was from my mistake of bleaching my hair. I since chopped it off to APL and have 0 tangles now :D When my hair was TBL and all virgin it had no tangles too.

I'm glad your hair is doing better <3 Your cut looks great!

I get tangles no matter what. People try to tell me "brush from the bottom up!" But literally my whole head of hair from root to tip is tangled lol. I always brush from the bottom up but it doesn't solve my problem. My hair still rips and snaps.

Finger detangling seems to make it worse sometimes! Instead of running my fingers through it I just use my hands like tongs to pull sections apart. Then I gently brush it.

Your hair sounds like mine xD I'm starting to get used to the sound of gentle breakage, though! I wince much less, and don't feel as bad.

I can't finger detangle, either. Even if I pull it apart, and gently detangle it, the section I detangled goes right back to tangled when I turn to another one.

nycelle
August 3rd, 2018, 01:36 PM
I've only had the the kind of tangles that need to be cut out when my hair was damaged from coloring. Other than that, it gets tangled, but nothing that my fingers, or a WTC can't get out.

lithostoic
August 3rd, 2018, 02:32 PM
Your hair sounds like mine xD I'm starting to get used to the sound of gentle breakage, though! I wince much less, and don't feel as bad.

I can't finger detangle, either. Even if I pull it apart, and gently detangle it, the section I detangled goes right back to tangled when I turn to another one.

Yep!! Only thing I like is a regular paddle brush. The cushioned pad gives the bendy bristles just enough "give" for me to stop and pull apart any large knots I encounter. Combs rip my hair. I don't think tangls teezers would actually detangle my hair but I've yet to try.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2018, 02:38 PM
Ooh, good timing since I was going to make a post about my hair.

My hair is ridiculously tangly. It's always been like this, and was the reason why my mother always kept my hair short as a kid; she didn't want to deal with my tangles. It's just always full of tangles, whether right after being combed through (and tangle free) or in a tight braid (and was put into the braid tangle free). I get a lot of big knots, some of which I need help to unknot, and some which I have to cut out.

So far the only thing that works is NB's Selkie Detangler, but that only helps, it doesn't get rid of the knots; I still get them on a daily basis, but they come apart a bit more easily, and I don't have to cut as often. I try to avoid combing my length other than once in the morning (before putting it in my daily bun), and once at night (before putting it in sleep braids or sleep bun).

Any advice? How do I tame the tangly mess that is my hair? At first I thought it was dryness or damage from dyeing it but it's been a lifelong thing that happens whether my hair is virgin, and in a chin length bob or dyed every month, and shoulder length, or not dyed in years, and waist length. I think I've just been noticing it more since I am trying to build better hair care habits.

I do have a lot of split ends, and I S&D very often. My ends are also quite dry. Knots do not necessarily happen at the ends, though.

Do you moisturize enough? Lots of DTs (deep treatments) might work. I think I might switch back to a different styler since I have been using the Every Strand on its own weeks on end, so it might be one week too many...

AutobotsAttack
August 3rd, 2018, 04:51 PM
I get them from having Afro textured hair. Just the way my hair is, doesn’t mean anything bad. No biggie. They come out in the shower most times.

timeschild
August 3rd, 2018, 04:59 PM
This is why I had to cut my hair last year. Tangela and knots. Specifically the tiny little knots that you can’t get Out unless you cut them which left me with some weird spots as it kept happening so I chopped my hair it was pretty long about bsl which for me is long I can’t seem to get past that without having to cut it. Anyway I cut it to about chin length and now a year later I am about bsl and dealing with split ends and the occasional tangle but not as bad as before. I have been combing my hair like five or Six times a day to prevent the bad ones

lithostoic
August 3rd, 2018, 05:08 PM
I've come to accept my tangly hair. I don't get a lot of split ends and my hair isn't dry so I know it's healthy :)

GrowlingCupcake
August 3rd, 2018, 07:33 PM
Yep!! Only thing I like is a regular paddle brush. The cushioned pad gives the bendy bristles just enough "give" for me to stop and pull apart any large knots I encounter. Combs rip my hair. I don't think tangls teezers would actually detangle my hair but I've yet to try.

I use combs right now. Starting with a WT, and slowing getting finer, and finer. I don't even know where I put my brush; I really should find it.

I have a TT, and it does 'glide' more easily. But it doesn't detangle so much as avoid so I have to find the knots, and try to focus on them.

Do you moisturize enough? Lots of DTs (deep treatments) might work. I think I might switch back to a different styler since I have been using the Every Strand on its own weeks on end, so it might be one week too many...

I could definitely use more moisture. I don't DT but I really should start. Any suggests for DT that are a) not homemade like the SMT, and b) easy to use? No heat, ideally no wrapping. I do have the Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator. Maybe I should give that a shot.

That said, I'm not sure moisture will help because this was a problem even when my ends weren't dry.

BTW, what's a styler for?

Jo Ann
August 3rd, 2018, 10:06 PM
GC, I use Joico's Intense Hydrator where my hair is bleached, and it really makes a difference!

I wash my hair, wrap a towel around it to get the excess moisture off my hair, apply the conditioning treatment where my hair is bleached, wash the rest of my body (instructions say to leave it in for 3-5 minutes), rinse out the conditioning treatment and no time is lost. I also follow up with HH, but the combination really works wonders for my hair.

Good luck!

Jo Ann
August 3rd, 2018, 10:09 PM

:shocked:

Well, you did say you had a lot of damage and it was starting to really bother you. What a change! Here's hoping you enjoy your hair journey again!

lapushka
August 4th, 2018, 06:29 AM
I could definitely use more moisture. I don't DT but I really should start. Any suggests for DT that are a) not homemade like the SMT, and b) easy to use? No heat, ideally no wrapping. I do have the Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator. Maybe I should give that a shot.

That said, I'm not sure moisture will help because this was a problem even when my ends weren't dry.

BTW, what's a styler for?

A styler is a leave-in, or a curling cream or a gel, usually used in the CG method (curly girl). You'll find more info in my signature under LOC/LCO method.

I would try the Garnier Whole Blends line of masks. Not that expensive and they do their job well. I particularly would recommend the honey and the olive one. I have tried many a mask by them, just not those, but I have tried the conditioners and they were *bomb*.

GrowlingCupcake
August 14th, 2018, 12:39 PM
GC, I use Joico's Intense Hydrator where my hair is bleached, and it really makes a difference!

I wash my hair, wrap a towel around it to get the excess moisture off my hair, apply the conditioning treatment where my hair is bleached, wash the rest of my body (instructions say to leave it in for 3-5 minutes), rinse out the conditioning treatment and no time is lost. I also follow up with HH, but the combination really works wonders for my hair.

Good luck!

I tried out the Intense Hydrator, and I love it! My hair is still tangly, but much softer, and less dry.

A styler is a leave-in, or a curling cream or a gel, usually used in the CG method (curly girl). You'll find more info in my signature under LOC/LCO method.

I would try the Garnier Whole Blends line of masks. Not that expensive and they do their job well. I particularly would recommend the honey and the olive one. I have tried many a mask by them, just not those, but I have tried the conditioners and they were *bomb*.

Ah, that makes sense. The term just threw me xD

I tried the GWB shampoo/conditioner over the weekend, and really liked it. I think I'll look into their masks.

lapushka
August 14th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Ah, that makes sense. The term just threw me xD

I tried the GWB shampoo/conditioner over the weekend, and really liked it. I think I'll look into their masks.

I love their olive conditioner! The honey one isn't bad either, those are my favorite conditioners by them so far.

GrowlingCupcake
August 22nd, 2018, 06:46 PM
I love their olive conditioner! The honey one isn't bad either, those are my favorite conditioners by them so far.

I have the olive oil leave-in, and I am not a fan. But I do plan on trying out their lines once I go through my stash.

The JOICO Intense Hydrator is definitely becoming a favourite. I use it before, and after dyeing plus any time my hair feel too dry. I think it's helping with tangles a bit but mostly it's just softer. Very much softer.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2018, 06:19 AM
I have the olive oil leave-in, and I am not a fan. But I do plan on trying out their lines once I go through my stash.

I don't have the leave-in, and never tried it. Maybe I should. They don't sell it in Belgium, but I can get it from the Dutch online store I sometimes shop at (not quite "now" as I have stuff to go through). Schtuffff galore! LOL! :lol:

Natashap
August 23rd, 2018, 07:43 AM
I had to cut my tangled mess as could not fix it with conditioners.

I have velcro texture and this issue makes it worse.

I have extreme tangles and comb less which triggers my knots.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2018, 08:31 AM

How long is your hair? Did you clarify?

What detangling tool do you use? WT comb? TT? Wet brush?

What did you do to get the tangles out?

How do you wash? Sulfates? Sulfate-free? CO-washing? Other method.

It all is important.

But... you seem to have decided to cut already, which is a darn shame. Not to mention quite impulsive. :( :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
August 23rd, 2018, 09:24 AM

I really love it too! I always use it here (France)

Such a shame you had to cut your hair, I do hope you will get the tangling problem sorted as your hair gets longer again.

GrowlingCupcake
August 25th, 2018, 11:07 AM
I'll have to try the GWB Legendary Olive shampoo, and conditioner some time. The one I tried was the Oat Delicacy. I still don't know if that was just wonderful or if it was the JOICO hydrator, but it wasn't bad, smelled quite nice, and certainly worth a shot! I have a lot of shampoo/conditioner to go through right now, though.

lapushka
August 25th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Well I think I've narrowed it down. Something's been giving me tangles after the wash for a couple of weeks now, and that coincided with me starting to use the Aunt Jackie's "fix my hair" mask. I think that has something to do with it. Not quite sure, though. But this Sunday I'm leaving it out and seeing what gives.

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 05:29 AM
Last night, I had to cut out a massive knot. It was about APL length where I cut and it was hanging on by 3/4 threads and was about 2 fingertips thick. I almost wanted to cut back to classic, when I wasn't dealing with knots at all. I have to keep using my Hello Hydration, I guess, to keep these from forming. :shrug: That's about the only thing, I discovered, that works!

lithostoic
January 18th, 2019, 06:11 AM
That sucks! Good reminder to not fix what ain't broken haha.

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 07:35 AM
That sucks! Good reminder to not fix what ain't broken haha.

Yeah! Gosh tell me about it! :lol: If I find HE HH on sale in bulk somewhere (I'm thinking local discounter), I am buying them all out!

ETA/ I just checked; I did use my HE HH last wash as a second C. Darn it.

Might it in effect be the length, or the fact that I style my hair upside down (styler/gel/serum) and then flip over? But when I was classic length I didn't have these issues at all.

It's getting to be a mystery. And I have a few more knots but those I managed to pry loose last night!

Cg
January 18th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Yeah! Gosh tell me about it! :lol: If I find HE HH on sale in bulk somewhere (I'm thinking local discounter), I am buying them all out!

ETA/ I just checked; I did use my HE HH last wash as a second C. Darn it.

Might it in effect be the length, or the fact that I style my hair upside down (styler/gel/serum) and then flip over? But when I was classic length I didn't have these issues at all.

It's getting to be a mystery. And I have a few more knots but those I managed to pry loose last night!

You may be right about the length. I'm getting way more tangles now than I did at classic too, no change in routine. Not sure of your climate, but it's very cold and dry here, which I think is a big contributor.

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 10:23 AM
You may be right about the length. I'm getting way more tangles now than I did at classic too, no change in routine. Not sure of your climate, but it's very cold and dry here, which I think is a big contributor.

Classic winter, but I had this when I first reached FTL in fall too. Dry? Not so much an issue here.

Dark40
January 18th, 2019, 12:53 PM
What I do to keep my hair from getting tangled is I don't treat my hair roughly or vigorously, and after my wash whether I'm using a sulfate shampoo or if I'm co-washing I always use a detangler or a leave-in conditioner. That really helps my hair to get out knots and snirls.

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 01:49 PM
What I do to keep my hair from getting tangled is I don't treat my hair roughly or vigorously, and after my wash whether I'm using a sulfate shampoo or if I'm co-washing I always use a detangler or a leave-in conditioner. That really helps my hair to get out knots and snirls.

I treat my hair pretty well. I don't treat my hair roughly, and I always moisturize & detangle well.

I still get knots; these come once my hair has dried and my stylers are in.

Cg
January 18th, 2019, 01:52 PM
I treat my hair pretty well. I don't treat my hair roughly, and I always moisturize & detangle well.

Here too. I treat my hair very carefully at all times. Still tangles after it dries.

GrowlingCupcake
January 18th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Do you use a detangler at all, laphuska? If it is the length, maybe it is time to add one if you do not.

I think using Olaplex twice has helped with my tangle situation. I still have them but even without a detangler, I'm not getting comb-eating tangles anymore. Or it might be regularly using the Joico Intense Hydrator? I really need to keep track.

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Do you use a detangler at all, laphuska? If it is the length, maybe it is time to add one if you do not.

I think using Olaplex twice has helped with my tangle situation. I still have them but even without a detangler, I'm not getting comb-eating tangles anymore. Or it might be regularly using the Joico Intense Hydrator? I really need to keep track.

I don't need anything to detangle. At the time of detangling, wet after it comes out the towel, I have as good as no tangles.

It is the rest of the week, after styling, after it has dried that I'm having issues.

But I put my stylers (+ gel) in bent forward, then I flip back and let it dry that way, untouched, and I think that is where it's happening.

Next Sunday, I am going to detangle bent forward, flip over, *detangle again*, and put my styling products in upright! Then I hope that's going to be better.

Dark40
January 18th, 2019, 04:01 PM

Ok, my mom's hair does that too. It mostly get's tangled a lot when it's wet. She just uses the man n tail detangler, and it helps her pretty well. Hmmm, what kind of stylers are you using?

lapushka
January 18th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Ok, my mom's hair does that too. It mostly get's tangled a lot when it's wet. She just uses the man n tail detangler, and it helps her pretty well. Hmmm, what kind of stylers are you using?

My hair does not get tangled when it is wet. The opposite, as I have tried to explain above. :flower:

I use the LOC/LCO method.

lapushka
January 20th, 2019, 08:08 AM
I brushed my hair out after the towel aka detangled, as usual, bent forward. Then I flipped back and brushed it out again. Which is something I just never did. I used to put my stylers in bent forward, scrunch them in... maybe that is why I am getting all these knots dry.

My hair felt smoother, sleeker, so I'm guessing this is what I am going to have to do from now on. It is odd putting my stylers in straight up, instead of bent over, but... hey new lengths, new habits. Right? ;)

Sometimes it takes a little more effort!

Cg
January 20th, 2019, 08:48 AM
I brushed my hair out after the towel aka detangled, as usual, bent forward. Then I flipped back and brushed it out again. Which is something I just never did. I used to put my stylers in bent forward, scrunch them in... maybe that is why I am getting all these knots dry.

My hair felt smoother, sleeker, so I'm guessing this is what I am going to have to do from now on. It is odd putting my stylers in straight up, instead of bent over, but... hey new lengths, new habits. Right? ;)

Sometimes it takes a little more effort!

Glad you figured it out so quickly. You are so right, new lengths, new habits!

lapushka
January 20th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Glad you figured it out so quickly. You are so right, new lengths, new habits!

Yes, I think I sort of "fixed" my hair with gel bent forward in a steady position, then flipped back... and that is just a bad bad idea - at any length. I mean, that the penny didn't drop sooner.

It is different, because I'm not used to doing it this way, but what needs to happen needs to happen. I'll keep you posted on how it goes in a few days when I finger detangle for the night (typically don't detangle yet on a Monday, maybe 1 or 2 hairs will come out).

Dark40
January 20th, 2019, 03:33 PM
My hair does not get tangled when it is wet. The opposite, as I have tried to explain above. :flower:

I use the LOC/LCO method.

Ohhh, ok I see. I didn't see you explaining that above. :flower:

Yes, I've seen your thread on here about the LOC/LCO method. I also use that method as well.

Natalia_A00
January 20th, 2019, 05:05 PM
I get them all the time and I don't consider my hair dry at all, I guess they happen because my hair is kinda fine. I usually get them when I wear my hair down for too long (I know I should protect my hair or wear it up more often but well), and I try to finger comb carefully to get rid of them. Conditioner helps a lot too

Beeboo123
January 21st, 2019, 02:12 AM
My hair tangles when it is wet. I condition, rinse out, LOC, let it dry, then comb my fingers through it. Somehow, the tangles come out much more easily when dry. It doesn’t take much effort at all, the tangles just slide apart. But it’s terrible to try to undo them when wet, i get a ton of breakage

Cg
January 21st, 2019, 08:15 AM
I'm pretty sure my recent > usual tangles result from winter static + wearing wool + quite fine hair + just being longer. Not much I can do except coat my hands with moisture before handling.

lapushka
January 21st, 2019, 09:34 AM
It's definitely a *lot* better! I am detangling bent over when I wash, and then again when I flip my hair back, and will be styling rightside up from now on! It is so idiotic for me not to think of that!

Cg
January 21st, 2019, 12:09 PM
Not idiotic at all. It worked before, so you had no reason to expect a difference now. Just be glad you have it worked out, and luckily it's been an easy solution.

blackgothicdoll
January 21st, 2019, 12:15 PM
I think I watched way too many YouTube videos where people were finger detangling and thought that I should try it. Idk how they do it, finger detangling led to masses of tangles for me once my hair had dried, and for me, dried tangles are nightmarish to try to remove. I end up having to at least snip the little knot where one or two hairs have bonded together permanently. So lesson learned, I need a brush or comb.

lapushka
January 21st, 2019, 12:26 PM
Not idiotic at all. It worked before, so you had no reason to expect a difference now. Just be glad you have it worked out, and luckily it's been an easy solution.

That is sweet of you! And thank you so much for saying that because I did feel a little foolish. Up until classic it worked fine. Which makes me wonder if this is one of the reasons I perhaps kept it classic (and shorter) because of this issue. But we're onto longer lengths now and I have to adjust to the length now. First "adjustment" was BSL with thicker and more moisturizing conditioners (silicone as well where non-silicone worked fine before). Next "adjustment" is now at FTL with the detangling process and the styling. I wonder if I'll run across anything else before hitting knee. :)

I think I watched way too many YouTube videos where people were finger detangling and thought that I should try it. Idk how they do it, finger detangling led to masses of tangles for me once my hair had dried, and for me, dried tangles are nightmarish to try to remove. I end up having to at least snip the little knot where one or two hairs have bonded together permanently. So lesson learned, I need a brush or comb.

I finger detangle by separating the strands, not by "combing" through it by using fingers. Maybe that helps? I separate the hair into 2 sections at night. Then I separate each half into 3, and those 3 sometimes into smaller pieces depending on if I need it. This is how I go through my hair without breaking up the texture too much and it gets the sheds out (I glide my hands along the hair and the sheds come out easily).

Lady Stardust
January 22nd, 2019, 04:32 AM
My daughter had a huge tangle from the nape downwards, it had formed a bit of a dread. She’s just turned 3 and isn’t well so she doesn’t have the patience to let me patiently detangle. I had to do it when she was asleep :) I used a detangling spray and pulled it apart sideways for the most part, and was able to comb out the last bit. Success. I thought I was going to have to cut it out when I saw it.

I’ve also realised the culprit - a bolster pillow that has a fuzzy surface. She’s been sleeping in odd places while she’s been ill and must have been rubbing her hair on it. At least I can stop it from happening again.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2019, 04:49 AM
My daughter had a huge tangle from the nape downwards, it had formed a bit of a dread. She’s just turned 3 and isn’t well so she doesn’t have the patience to let me patiently detangle. I had to do it when she was asleep :) I used a detangling spray and pulled it apart sideways for the most part, and was able to comb out the last bit. Success. I thought I was going to have to cut it out when I saw it.

I’ve also realised the culprit - a bolster pillow that has a fuzzy surface. She’s been sleeping in odd places while she’s been ill and must have been rubbing her hair on it. At least I can stop it from happening again.

There's a lot of knots that you can tease out by just separating strands of hair, into smaller and smaller bits as you go and then when there is an actual *knot*, the rattail of a rattail comb (the metal ones are superb) can do a lot, or a knitting needle if you don't have that.

In my case the knot I cut out was hanging on by 3 or so strands and it was a thick one, so I'm guessing it was a ball of mostly shed hair. But still, it's not fun if you have to cut it out.

I'm glad you could solve it this way, Lady Stardust! :thumbsup:

She must be a solid sleeper. :D I used to be one too when I was a child. My mom did most of her household chores when I was asleep, and I never ever once woke up due to a washing machine or her ironing or anything else.

What's more. She used to vacuum a lot when pregnant, and when I was born, every time she turned the vacuum on, I settled down. LOL. I guess it's a form of white noise, back when we weren't yet this "fancy". ;)

Lady Stardust
January 22nd, 2019, 06:30 AM
There's a lot of knots that you can tease out by just separating strands of hair, into smaller and smaller bits as you go and then when there is an actual *knot*, the rattail of a rattail comb (the metal ones are superb) can do a lot, or a knitting needle if you don't have that.

In my case the knot I cut out was hanging on by 3 or so strands and it was a thick one, so I'm guessing it was a ball of mostly shed hair. But still, it's not fun if you have to cut it out.

I'm glad you could solve it this way, Lady Stardust! :thumbsup:

She must be a solid sleeper. :D I used to be one too when I was a child. My mom did most of her household chores when I was asleep, and I never ever once woke up due to a washing machine or her ironing or anything else.

What's more. She used to vacuum a lot when pregnant, and when I was born, every time she turned the vacuum on, I settled down. LOL. I guess it's a form of white noise, back when we weren't yet this "fancy". ;)

Yes I was lucky that she stayed asleep. She started to brush me away with her hand when I got closer to the roots and I had to give up at that point, but I checked this morning and it doesn’t even feel like there was ever a tangle there!

I had to cut one out a few months ago but managed to make a strategic snip so she only lost the tiniest amount of hair. That one had formed a circle!

Babies definitely love white noise and my daughter still loves the sound of the vacuum - she hears the rhythm of it and bounces up and down to it :)

UP Lisa
January 22nd, 2019, 11:56 AM
Madora's advice does work brilliantly for me. It'd probably only be once a year that I would get a tangle that I can't get out and have to cut and then it's generally a SSK.

Where is Madora's advice? Maybe it would work for me since I have almost the same hair type. My hair has always been SO tangly.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2019, 12:01 PM
Where is Madora's advice? Maybe it would work for me since I have almost the same hair type. My hair has always been SO tangly.

Could Sarah be talking about the mineral oil that she puts on her hair? Are you, Sarah? Because that's about the only advice I know about from Madora (where is she BTW, I miss her around).

mica
January 22nd, 2019, 12:33 PM
Could Sarah be talking about the mineral oil that she puts on her hair? Are you, Sarah? Because that's about the only advice I know about from Madora (where is she BTW, I miss her around).

I thought she might be talking about her method for detangling hair (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128009).
I'm think Madora is the reason why I finger comb 90% of the time. I miss her too!

GrowlingCupcake
January 22nd, 2019, 12:43 PM
I cannot finger comb either. I get a lot more broken strands when I finger comb versus using my WTC, and I am very gentle with both.

MusicalSpoons
January 22nd, 2019, 02:55 PM

Sarahlabyrinth's post was on the same page as this one (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133872&p=3080783&viewfull=1#post3080783); which quotes a piece of Madora's advice:

"If you find a snarl, take it apart with your fingers, not the comb. You'll find that the snarl is easier to pick apart if you hold it horizontally and work on it, rather than trying to unsnarl it in a vertical position."

Works for me! If I attempt to untangle vertically, I still pull the hairs gently sideways away from the tangle which works well too.

lapushka
September 11th, 2019, 11:17 AM
I had some "fun" yesterday trying to get some knots out. NOT :(

I knew it! I had put more gel in this Sunday than normal and my ends did feel crunchy because of it. I was thinking it when it went in and still, I did it. My own darn fault. :shrug:

I wasn't even gentle about it yesterday. I was just so darn frustrated with myself.

There's still a few tinier ones left, so I hope to get to those finger detangling this evening.

I'll get them out, hopefully a little more gentle than yesterday. :) :o

It's not the LOC/LCO method in itself, because that has always worked for me pretty well. It's slipping with product, especially gel and scrunching it in up too far.

UP Lisa
September 11th, 2019, 11:29 AM
I had some "fun" yesterday trying to get some knots out. NOT :(

I knew it! I had put more gel in this Sunday than normal and my ends did feel crunchy because of it. I was thinking it when it went in and still, I did it. My own darn fault. :shrug:

I wasn't even gentle about it yesterday. I was just so darn frustrated with myself.

There's still a few tinier ones left, so I hope to get to those finger detangling this evening.

I'll get them out, hopefully a little more gentle than yesterday. :) :o

It's not the LOC/LCO method in itself, because that has always worked for me pretty well. It's slipping with product, especially gel and scrunching it in up too far.

That very wavy, fine, thick hair must be prone to tangles. Mine sure is, and it's not thick.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 11th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Sarahlabyrinth's post was on the same page as this one (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133872&p=3080783&viewfull=1#post3080783); which quotes a piece of Madora's advice:

"If you find a snarl, take it apart with your fingers, not the comb. You'll find that the snarl is easier to pick apart if you hold it horizontally and work on it, rather than trying to unsnarl it in a vertical position."

Works for me! If I attempt to untangle vertically, I still pull the hairs gently sideways away from the tangle which works well too.

Yes, that's it. Thanks, MusicalSpoons!

lapushka
September 11th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Yes the fact that it's F doesn't help matters much. And I always finger detangle, so it's not that, but I kind of pulled the knots apart last night instead of carefully finagling them apart.

S&S
September 11th, 2019, 03:18 PM
I feel like fine hair tangles much easier than thicker types.

Most of my hair is M/C and I hardly ever tangle. Like Johannah , I have to manipulate my hair a lot to ever really get them.

UP Lisa
September 12th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Mine is baby fine, and tangles when I look at it.

lapushka
September 12th, 2019, 07:02 AM
I don't usually get them, but I have to be careful once it gets past classic, and I use too much gel or scrunch my hair up too much.

Cg
September 12th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Mine is baby fine, and tangles when I look at it.

Yeah, and also when we don't.