PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Hair thicken at the ends???

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 08:26 AM
SO my hair is painfully thin at the ends. It's not because of term length though it's my last hair dresser who "Tried" to give me fairy tail ends. But I hate the ends now I want a thicker hemline more of a blunt cut until I reach maybe knee length then a fairy-tail ends might be better. Can anyone help me out with maybe just some simple info or encouragement. Waiting for it to get longer and thicken the ends. What does not help is I am also growing out bleached damage it just feels like I am at the worst times with my hair. :(

syndel
September 7th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Sounds like an ordeal, hang in there my darling! :blossom:

I am a thin/fine haired so I am no stranger to painfully thin ends. You've got a couple of options here if you want to get blunt ends from fairy tale ends; you can bite the bullet and completely blunt them, sacrificing some length in doing so, or you can micro-trim for a while and slowly bring it to a blunt. It's less emotionally traumatizing but you'll need to put up with semi-thin ends for a while as it grows. Considering you're growing out bleach damage, I would be inclined to suggest you go with the first option and do a significant chop - it'll give you the blunt cut you want and also hopefully take some of the bleached parts out of the equation. Then you can just sit back and enjoy your growth not snapping off because of the bleach damage. However, I will absolutely understand if you don't want to do that, cutting my hair even slightly hurts me on a spiritual level :p.

In any case, I recommend doing something like feye's self trim method if you don't trust hairdressers, I don't anymore personally lol.

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Sounds like an ordeal, hang in there my darling! :blossom:

I am a thin/fine haired so I am no stranger to painfully thin ends. You've got a couple of options here if you want to get blunt ends from fairy tale ends; you can bite the bullet and completely blunt them, sacrificing some length in doing so, or you can micro-trim for a while and slowly bring it to a blunt. It's less emotionally traumatizing but you'll need to put up with semi-thin ends for a while as it grows. Considering you're growing out bleach damage, I would be inclined to suggest you go with the first option and do a significant chop - it'll give you the blunt cut you want and also hopefully take some of the bleached parts out of the equation. Then you can just sit back and enjoy your growth not snapping off because of the bleach damage. However, I will absolutely understand if you don't want to do that, cutting my hair even slightly hurts me on a spiritual level :p.

In any case, I recommend doing something like feye's self trim method if you don't trust hairdressers, I don't anymore personally lol.

Yes, I am the exact same way I can't have my hair cut more than an inch without completely breaking down. It's the longest it has ever been and backtracking would just be painful. I have been taking off little bits of the ends like you said and I see a little bit of progress after about 4 months of doing it. I was thinking maybe getting it to classic length and maintaining it there. But I know I'll just want to see it grow longer from there. Also the good news is I have been growing out the dye for over a year now.

syndel
September 7th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Yes, I am the exact same way I can't have my hair cut more than an inch without completely breaking down. It's the longest it has ever been and backtracking would just be painful. I have been taking off little bits of the ends like you said and I see a little bit of progress after about 4 months of doing it. I was thinking maybe getting it to classic length and maintaining it there. But I know I'll just want to see it grow longer from there. Also the good news is I have been growing out the dye for over a year now.

Mm. I feel you, back tracking is definitely no fun. You'll just have to keep at what you're doing with taking off little bits regularly. Classic sounds like a good spot to maintain on, but you'll have to get rid of that fairy tale cut at some point, and as you said, will you be able to commit to maintaining at classic haha? It's a tough call.

Good job on growing out that dye though! I don't know how you ex-bleachers do it, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and need my hair to be uniform in colour or I go insane. On that note the other thing I think might be useful to consider is some non-damaging dyes to make the bleached parts the same colour as the rest of your hair. It would make your ends look thicker, or at the very least it'll be a new change so it'll distract you from the fairy tale cut. Maybe don't go full henna/indigo, but a vegetable dye or something might be worth a shot?

rowie
September 7th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Just sending you some encouragement! I'm also growing down to classic. I haven't had a trim since I did a buzz cut. I have S&D sometime but I don't pay attention to it anymore. I guess what's helping me is to continue keeping my hair into a bun. I put it in my mind that I'll just keep doing that until I reach my goal. Once I reach my goal I can make a decision to start trimming and waiting for more hair to reach that length. I think that will be something I'll consider once I get there which feels painfully slow. Wishing you good luck! :blossom:

Yarrow
September 7th, 2015, 09:33 AM
You could also try curling the ends a bit( by Wraping them around a handkerchief or other methods).
A coney serum might help the appearance of the bleach parts.
I would just practice benign neglect, put the hair up and micro trim every few months.

Azy
September 7th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Aww I feel for you. I cut like 3-5 inches off because of heat damage. Taking me from waist length back to bra strap length. I just couldn't stand seeing the lifeless ends in comparison to the rest of my hair. I've been trying to oil my length and ends everynight and braiding it up with a plastic shower cap overnight to speed up the grow out. I'm using lavender castor oil.

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Mm. I feel you, back tracking is definitely no fun. You'll just have to keep at what you're doing with taking off little bits regularly. Classic sounds like a good spot to maintain on, but you'll have to get rid of that fairy tale cut at some point, and as you said, will you be able to commit to maintaining at classic haha? It's a tough call.

Good job on growing out that dye though! I don't know how you ex-bleachers do it, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and need my hair to be uniform in colour or I go insane. On that note the other thing I think might be useful to consider is some non-damaging dyes to make the bleached parts the same colour as the rest of your hair. It would make your ends look thicker, or at the very least it'll be a new change so it'll distract you from the fairy tale cut. Maybe don't go full henna/indigo, but a vegetable dye or something might be worth a shot?

Well I dyed my hair because I was in a sort of in a point in my life where I felt I'd never get past something. So I used my hair as a timeline. Plus it was only highlights so it was not completely dyed (Which helped a whole bunch) Today I bought some splat purple in hopes it will calm down my hair blues. (Crosses fingers) Hopefully it works.

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Just sending you some encouragement! I'm also growing down to classic. I haven't had a trim since I did a buzz cut. I have S&D sometime but I don't pay attention to it anymore. I guess what's helping me is to continue keeping my hair into a bun. I put it in my mind that I'll just keep doing that until I reach my goal. Once I reach my goal I can make a decision to start trimming and waiting for more hair to reach that length. I think that will be something I'll consider once I get there which feels painfully slow. Wishing you good luck! :blossom:

Thank you so much!! and yes classic is such a nice place to keep a length although I am going for Terminal length. I'm really hoping for floor length I'm so scared my terminal length is at my knees or shorter D: Also buns help at times but I do find myself getting little headaches here and there and the only thing that keeps up a bun is two hair clips. How do you keep a bun in place??

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 11:12 AM
You could also try curling the ends a bit( by Wraping them around a handkerchief or other methods).
A coney serum might help the appearance of the bleach parts.
I would just practice benign neglect, put the hair up and micro trim every few months.

Yea I'm doing Micro trim which makes it feel like my hair is not growing at all. But I am noticing some thickness being added to the ends so it's working soo far. Also I have been trying the only conditioner method but I find that it leave lots of oils in my hair. (Not a big fan of that plus it causes my acne to act up.)

MINAKO
September 7th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Long story short, patience and microtrims! I wouldnt take off alot of length if hair isnt damaged. Just cut half your growth each month until its the hemline you like.
The last time i wanted a blunt hemline i cut 6 inches to get rid of my layers and while the ends where beautiful i condered it a massive setback. Simetimes it doesnt need to be THAT blunt to look full.

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Aww I feel for you. I cut like 3-5 inches off because of heat damage. Taking me from waist length back to bra strap length. I just couldn't stand seeing the lifeless ends in comparison to the rest of my hair. I've been trying to oil my length and ends everynight and braiding it up with a plastic shower cap overnight to speed up the grow out. I'm using lavender castor oil.

I'll look into some oils the lavender sounds like it smells really good. I'm impressed you could cut that much off. It's probably best to do that. Knowing that I still can't push myself to do such a large cut. Maybe the oils can help out a lot??

Mullsha
September 7th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Long story short, patience and microtrims! I wouldnt take off alot of length if hair isnt damaged. Just cut half your growth each month until its the hemline you like.
The last time i wanted a blunt hemline i cut 6 inches to get rid of my layers and while the ends where beautiful i condered it a massive setback. Simetimes it doesnt need to be THAT blunt to look full.

Thank you so much for that I keep thinking that's the only way to get a blunt hemline. But six inches??? That does sound like a large set back. How long did it take to bounce back from that?

MINAKO
September 7th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Certainly in the process of growing small changes do better. I wasn't even sure what kength i wanted back when i cut it so i did not regret it initially. There was a girl in a music video who had kinda midback superblunt hair and mine was somewhere past waist, so i generously chopped. But in the long run i think trimming 1.5 inches two times would have been way enough too.

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2015, 01:08 PM
If you are growing to terminal, your hair will already be fairy taled and most likely thinner on the ends when you reach terminal since each individual hair grows at different speeds and not all hairs have the same "terminal time". Some hairs shed out at waist length, some shed out at knee length.

If you are not growing to terminal, you can always grow to your goal length and then maintain there by trimming it into a blunt cut. The thickness might travel down but sometimes it takes a while.

It's more likely that you will have damaged hair at longer lengths no matter what you try. Take note that at longer lengths, the ends are sometimes 5-10 years old! That means the ends have been through more things. If I were you, I'd get rid of the bleach damage at some point. Trying to grow out damaged hair can be a pain. Just be very gentle with your hair if you are trying to grow to terminal and keep it up in protective updo's.

Deborah
September 7th, 2015, 01:45 PM
If it were me I'd trim off about three inches, then assess whether I liked the way the ends look. You can do it again if you are still not happy. Three inches is not enough that most people will notice, but may be enough to make your ends look a lot nicer.

Good Luck!

lapushka
September 7th, 2015, 03:38 PM
If your ends are bleached, take especially good care of them. If they are damaged (white dots, splits), do an S&D mission a few times to check and see. If nothing is damaged, it's all good and you should be fine. I'd also recommend wearing it up in protective styles. It's just about key at these longer lengths.

Mullsha
September 20th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Ahh Thank you guys for the help! But today I found this amazing stuff called Coconut oil. I put it in, in the morning and put it in a bun (Sense it make your hair look really greasy and oily.) Then took a shower to wash it all out. It took over an hour for my hair to dry!!!!!! This is awesome cause it usually takes about 30 min. It hydrated my hair so well. I think I might do it once a week. I also trimmed about a little less than half an inch. cutting off the new growth sense reaching tailbone. So now I'm right at tailbone. I think that might be my last trim until classic length cause I really want to pass tailbone. I did also sit down and took an hour to search and destroy my hair. Finding all the split ends and cutting them off. Needless to say my hair is looking much better!

beabees
September 20th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Try cassia! I'd also suggest the Aphogee 2-Step protein treatment.

LauraLongLocks
September 20th, 2015, 08:34 PM
As already suggested here, I would microtrim. Maybe every three months take off a centimeter or so until you are happy with your hemline. That way you can still gain length.

AutobotsAttack
September 20th, 2015, 08:34 PM
You should try microtrims. That way you are still maintaining your length, but can still thicken up your ends.

meteor
September 20th, 2015, 08:55 PM
SO my hair is painfully thin at the ends. It's not because of term length though it's my last hair dresser who "Tried" to give me fairy tail ends. But I hate the ends now I want a thicker hemline more of a blunt cut until I reach maybe knee length then a fairy-tail ends might be better. Can anyone help me out with maybe just some simple info or encouragement. Waiting for it to get longer and thicken the ends. What does not help is I am also growing out bleached damage it just feels like I am at the worst times with my hair. :(

Mullsha, I would like to echo the micro-trimming recommendations. LHCer Emi Longhairedatheart covered the issue of ends, hemlines and growing out sheds or taper very well in her posts with clear pictures, so I figured I should link her posts :) :

Even hemline without losing length (growing out taper): http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
Growing out bleach/dye: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2012/05/growing-out-dye-successfully.html
Comparing different approaches: cuts vs micro-trimming - http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2012/03/trim-and-new-approach-to-trimming.html

yahirwaO.o
September 21st, 2015, 01:47 PM
Mullsha, I would like to echo the micro-trimming recommendations. LHCer Emi Longhairedatheart covered the issue of ends, hemlines and growing out sheds or taper very well in her posts with clear pictures, so I figured I should link her posts :) :

Even hemline without losing length (growing out taper): http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
Growing out bleach/dye: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2012/05/growing-out-dye-successfully.html
Comparing different approaches: cuts vs micro-trimming - http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.ca/2012/03/trim-and-new-approach-to-trimming.html

Seriously Emi was my hair saviour when I was about to cut it super short!!!!! I've been following those post almost religiously and my ends-hair in general look so much fuller and nicer!. I know the feelling of having almost invisible taper mixed with fine hair and it has worked so freaking good for me I will continue!!!!! :beerchug:

Mullsha
September 21st, 2015, 04:01 PM
Okay! I shall look into it! If all of you have been backing it up it must be amazing! I'm all excited about it now. :D