PDA

View Full Version : sudden decrease in sebum?

Nadine <3
September 6th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Normally I need to wash my hair every other day or I look like I dipped my head into a deep fryer. The last 2 weeks or so though, I noticed my hair isn't getting greasy until about the 3rd or 4th day! Even when I was trying to stretch my washes, I just couldn't. My hair looked terrible and my head itched, so I gave up. Now suddenly my hair is deciding to not be greasy?? What could cause this?

meteor
September 6th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Seasonal changes?
That's what happens to me every fall. :D

Nadine <3
September 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Seasonal changes?
That's what happens to me every fall. :D

Maybe, although it was still over 80 degrees today. I am having my fall shed right now, so maybe. Whatever it is, it's awesome!

meteor
September 6th, 2015, 07:26 PM
^ Glad you are loving the change! :D
Just a heads up, it could also mean - less oily skin? I'd watch it and be ready to increase the use of moisturizers, if needed, if the skin ever gets dry. :)

Seasonal change was just my first thought, it could be other things, of course... :) For example, hormonal changes. I think that's very possible on transition out of teenage years, for example, oiliness tends to go down.
Skin can also be more oily/dry at different times of the cycle.
If one takes new medication or stops taking some medication, this can happen, too... Many possibilities, actually.

*ReiKa*
September 6th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Well, you're lucky! mine is actually getting greasier :rolleyes:

Nadine <3
September 6th, 2015, 07:47 PM
^ Glad you are loving the change! :D
Just a heads up, it could also mean - less oily skin? I'd watch it and be ready to increase the use of moisturizers, if needed, if the skin ever gets dry. :)

Seasonal change was just my first thought, it could be other things, of course... :) For example, hormonal changes. I think that's very possible on transition out of teenage years, for example, oiliness tends to go down.
Skin can also be more oily/dry at different times of the cycle.
If one takes new medication or stops taking some medication, this can happen, too... Many possibilities, actually.
I do notice I get SUPER nasty oily right before my period starts. I just ended, but my hair and skin is always somewhat greasy. I'm greasy like...20 minutes after I wash my face (maybe tmi gross, but it is what it is lol) I'm 22 so I should be out of my teen oily nastiness. I had no choice but to daily wash as a teen. I was that girl running to her locker during lunch for dry shampoo and blotting paper, so every other day is a good stretch from that! I like not needing to wash as much, I HATE waiting for it to dry and then it's always a floofy nightmare that won't stay in a bun....Oddly enough my face hasn't changed at all, I'm still able to rub my hair on my forehead to help condition it lol

Well, you're lucky! mine is actually getting greasier :rolleyes:
GAH! I'm sorry, Ii couldn't imagine more grease! I hope it settles down for you :)

Nimia
September 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I've noticed that the past week or two my face is getting drier, so I vote for seasonal change, too. I read somewhere that it's the change in the length of daylight that's the trigger, not the temperature. And, that everyone's overall inflammation goes up in winter… which probably means that my scalp, which has behaved nicely all summer, is going to start getting itchy soon. Le sigh.

MsPharaohMoan
September 6th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Seasonal change is possible as mentioned but diet should be considered as well. Personally my diet changes with season. Has your diet changed much in terms of processed/refined foods? Google seems to think this is the main culprit. Some speculation on different sites regarding vitamin consumption as well as skin care product use (specifically moisturizers).

Nadine <3
September 6th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I didn't really change my diet...I did consume an absurd amount of mangoes...I mean I eat those things a lot because I love them but I really went to town on them. Nothing else I can think of though. I did change around my skin care a bit (different brand moisturizer) but I'm not sure how that would affect the skin on my scalp?

lapushka
September 7th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Are you on meds for your acne, per chance? I'm just asking, because some of those suckers can be drying on hair & skin. Maybe it's just growing up, and your hormone levels evening out? I had changes, minute, but they were there until I was 23/24.

Knifegill
September 7th, 2015, 04:52 AM
I noticed the same thing happening to me, was blaming the tea tree oil I discovered that has been sitting at the bottom of my shampoo bottle for a year and I finally realized I have to shake the bottle, lol. Then I was wondering if eating more zucchini and apples was doing it. But it probably is, indeed, the weather.